Skip to content

Travis Benjamin

The Browns Board
61 31 2.5k
  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I really hate research. I prefer to get by on hazy recollections and half memories.

    But for you, it was Flugel.

    And you posted in this thread! Come on man comeonman!!!

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37681&page=1

    Getting old is a bitch. And I'm only 31.

    @comeonman said:

    Getting old is a bitch. And I'm only 31.

    Ha! No worries man. Like fine wine...

  • He's a straight beast.

  • as awesome as those returns are, am i the only one who cringes everytime the gunners converge on him? He's basically become our #1 so watching him approach that oncoming train has me nervous everytime. I hope at least he's been told under no circumstances are you to try that spin move again...cause he got hit in mid spin last time which is what tore the fuck out of his knee. Love the Manziel Benjamin connection brewing, don't want to see that derailed by him taking a grenade on a punt return.

  • Remember Kosar to slaughter? I'd love to see Manziel to Benjamin be that exciting a combo.

  • Exactly. I was nervous too. Don't we have someone else,to be our return guy?

  • Exactly. I was nervous too. Don't we have someone else,to be our return guy?

    @opal312 said:

    Exactly. I was nervous too. Don't we have someone else,to be our return guy?

    Antonio Brown has done punt returns and wr. Same for Cole Beasley and Julian eddleman. Its doable..

  • I'm happy I was dead wrong about Benji, to this point. I wish JG was here to catch some bombs. I would feel so much better about giving JFF the keys to the car if there was a little more horsepower. This team is one beer away from being explosive.

  • Flug and I lead the way, baby. Love me some Benji and (just to rub it in the pessimists' faces), I love me some small receivers in general.

  • He's a straight beast.

    @soju said:

    He's a straight beast.

    and you are a queer elf.

  • i talked Benj up so long ago when Flugz started posting here again and wrote that bit on Benj it felt so reran to me i didn't even care to comment. keep pattin ur backs, i predated all you knockoffs...

  • And now teams are wise to his deep threat, the smaller guys like Hawk and Gabriel should get more space in the middle of the field, Benji is a great weapon to have for many reasons

  • He had a good day. His fingertip catch for the first TD was because he lost track of the ball, though. Probably a bit harsh, but that's the way I saw it.

    Let's wait, see if he ends the season with 15 TDs, or if he's hit his limit. I hope it's the former, though I struggle to envisage Travis Benjamin joining the elite receivers and getting a Julio Jones contract (he's in a contract year)!

  • I'm happy I was dead wrong about Benji, to this point. I wish JG was here to catch some bombs. I would feel so much better about giving JFF the keys to the car if there was a little more horsepower. This team is one beer away from being explosive.

    @htownbrown said:

    I'm happy I was dead wrong about Benji, to this point. I wish JG was here to catch some bombs. I would feel so much better about giving JFF the keys to the car if there was a little more horsepower. This team is one beer away from being explosive.

    The keys to the car and more horsepower is getting in sync with the other weapons. Benji is JM's bread & Butter but 2 Bombs & A Punt Return is no winning recipe weekly. Fixing Balls late and a tick behind other weapons may lead to that explosion. Big steps from Week 1 Offensively but better Defenses looming on schedule ahead.

  • Benji correctly read the scramble and ran for the open area knowing Manziel would pick him up. In fact he said either of their QB's know how to find him on the scramble play. That tells me it gets practiced much like Evans and JM practiced those each week before games. What many have called "sandlot football" is no accident. It's nice to know both our QB's get to do it during the week.

    What is funny in watching Pet talk about it yesterday was almost identical to the interviews with Sumlin post-game early in JM's career in which Summy would say after the games, "I was yelling No No No.................oh man Great play!" Summy then later admitted to later planning for the scramble with teaching all receivers where to go on the field when they realized JM was extending the play. Benji did exactly what they were taught, scramble into his vision while others kept defenders busy out of those areas..

  • Benjamin has fully recovered from the knee injury. Thank God I took him in round 10 in my fantasy league!!!

  • @comeonman said:

    Who was this poster?

    I really hate research. I prefer to get by on hazy recollections and half memories.

    But for you, it was Flugel.

    And you posted in this thread! Come on man comeonman!!!

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37681&page=1

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I really hate research. I prefer to get by on hazy recollections and half memories.

    But for you, it was Flugel.

    And you posted in this thread! Come on man comeonman!!!

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37681&page=1

    I really appreciate you remembering that and linking it up. Thanks! In fairness, there were quite a few others that liked him too.

    Real quickly, I'm reading a lot of really good posters in here beating themselves up because they weren't convinced he'd be what he's become. Don't do that to yourselves. That's not why we're here. It isn't like Ray Horton (who used to coach here) saw him coming either time or Dick LeBeau for that matter (Benjamin scored vrs Pitt last year). I'll guarantee a lot of you peg guys right way more frequently than I do.

    Today, Benjamin is our best play maker. The preseason kept reminding us of that no matter who was throwing to him. The continuation of leading our WR Corps in TD receptions and yards per catch from 2014 into the first 2 games confirms it. If that's not enough, ask the Tennessee Titans what Cleveland Brown scored 5 TDs against them in our last 2 match-ups. After what we've been through over the years, I love me a guy that not only gets open but catches the ball every time.

    Guys like Benjamin and Greco that came here without stunning resumes (1 drafted - the other traded for) are classic examples of why you invest time in players before giving up prematurely. One could guy could only run straight ahead routes or deep posts or flags as a wide eyed rookie. The other had something like 3 or 4 fill in starts in 3 years in St Louis. Part of his trade condition was if he started 1 game his first year here - it lowered the exchange value/round of the future pick we would be getting. Therefore he didn't start his first year here. Then we broke him in with some growing pains at LG in between auditioning guys like Pinkston and Gilkey before we found him a niche at RG.

    I'm not sure where the Manziel thing is heading; but it sure is nice seeing a more mature version that has really applied himself this offseason and throughout training camp to make what we saw yesterday not only possible but DOABLE. And folks, he's just as young as this year's first round QBs. He's only 22 playing out his final year of college eligibility in the NFL on our favorite team. It's been quite some since seeing a QB hooking up deep with throws hitting the guy in stride twice in 1 game. Last year, our starting QB only threw 12 TD passes, and I think only 8 went to the WRs. This year, Manziel has 3 TD passes to the WR position in just 2 games projecting improvement from that.

    Yesterday was fun. We deserve this folks!

  • Yep.....at the start of camp, I definitely had Benji on the first train outta here......but by preseason game 3, it was clear he stepped his game up.....

    Really, really surprised(and pleased) with his explosive play to this point......already, he has matched his team leading 3 TD's(which aint hard, I get it)......still.....very nice indeed.....

  • @lbc-mike said:

    He just got shipped out for a 2017 7th round conditional pick to the steelers

    Which one of Farmer's trades didn't you like?

    Let me rephrase - which former Brown did well this week? Or last week? Or last year?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Which one of Farmer's trades didn't you like?

    Let me rephrase - which former Brown did well this week? Or last week? Or last year?

    Brandon Weeden? πŸ˜†

  • And I thought I heard talk after the draft he might not make the team? I will eat crow if Manziel turns out to be the franchise QB. I wanted Garapollo or Blake Bortles who's done Zero.

    @opal312 said:

    And I thought I heard talk after the draft he might not make the team? I will eat crow if Manziel turns out to be the franchise QB. I wanted Garapollo or Blake Bortles who's done Zero.

    Blake Bortles is...will be quite good.

  • Remember Kosar to slaughter? I'd love to see Manziel to Benjamin be that exciting a combo.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Remember Kosar to slaughter? I'd love to see Manziel to Benjamin be that exciting a combo.

    Ryan to Warfield....even better.