McCown Starts
-
Right... much worse than the guy who has 79 turnovers in 70 total games...
just playing devil's advocate here...
-
Would it be inaccurate to state that those who don't want to see Josh McCown (or would prefer Manziel) in this game are the same ones who were against the signing when it happened? That it actually has very little to do with a 17 play drive, a few fumbles or a win from the little guy?
I'm not to jazzed about this move either. But obviously this boils down to who gives the Browns the best chance to win the next game.
Everything else is noise.
The same people who clamored for Manziel last year and made excuses for him when he sucked (and continue to make excuses for his fumbilitis). I don't think it has to do with people against the McCown signing (Maybe they overlap).
I'd have liked to see the kid over McCown, but in all fairness Johnny made plenty of mistakes - and when the QB fumbles every time he gets hit it definitely hinders your chance to win.
The same people who clamored for Manziel last year and made excuses for him when he sucked (and continue to make excuses for his fumbilitis). I don't think it has to do with people against the McCown signing (Maybe they overlap).
I'd have liked to see the kid over McCown, but in all fairness Johnny made plenty of mistakes - and when the QB fumbles every time he gets hit it definitely hinders your chance to win.
I was against the McCown signing, but that wasn't out of any love or excuses for Manziel. He was awful last year and he's only gone from awful to not-entirely-awful to start THIS season.
I see this from both angles. I think McCown gives us the best chance to win on Sunday. On the other hand, I'm scared of what's going to happen if we rely on him for several years while "waiting" for Manziel and not actively shopping the draft for better potential QBs. I know we've been swinging for 15 years now, but we need to get a hit sometime.
Maybe Manziel turns out to be that guy..?
-
Josh McCown = Jake Delhome part 2 except Delhomme had modest success
Johnny Manziel = picking up momentum and the best QBR since 2007 and benched
What a fucknose of a decision
-
Josh McCown = Jake Delhome part 2 except Delhomme had modest success
Johnny Manziel = picking up momentum and the best QBR since 2007 and benched
What a fucknose of a decision
What a fucknose of a decision
at least it wasn't an ass-crack decision.
-
Right... much worse than the guy who has 79 turnovers in 70 total games...
just playing devil's advocate here...
-
Yep, McCown plays one quarter, fumbles at the goal, gets a concussion and he is our savior and way to win. Yessiree.
least he fumbled trying to score a TD, rather than just being strip sacked. But, ya know...same thing, and all that.Yep, McCown plays one quarter, fumbles at the goal, gets a concussion and he is our savior and way to win. Yessiree.
-
That's true. How many fumbles does McCown have per quarter as a starter for the Browns?

WSS
Yep, McCown plays one quarter, fumbles at the goal, gets a concussion and he is our savior and way to win. Yessiree.
Retard would be proud of you both.
-
Right... much worse than the guy who has 79 turnovers in 70 total games...
just playing devil's advocate here...
-
Very similar ratios there, actually.
Right. Don't think that was the decision-maker... At least I hope not...
-
who cares if it's unacceptable to the fanbase? who the fuck are we? some monday morning armchair coaches and qbs? a bunch of whiners that cry everytime a decision is made that we don't like?
jeezus christ, man the fuck up and let these people do their jobs. 2 weeks in we're 1 and 1 and the world is crumbling and the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse are crashing through the sky.
same people that bitched about weeden are the same people that bitched about mccoy are the same people bitching about mccown. the same people that are still crying about watkins or mack or bridgewater are the same people who just love to bitch. and i'm about to click ignore on all of them.
isn't it great to complain about shit you have no control over? bunch of bitches, for real.
Yup Mik- we have no control over what the coaching staff does or doesn't do. I'm willing to let McCown fall flat on his face, should that happen- and his track record is less than stellar, no? So excuse me I'm skeptical McCown will succeed where washed up retreads like Dilfer, Garcia, Delhomme, and Wallace have proceeded to suck. FWIW, several of those guys have (had) better resumes than Jake.
The more serious question is what's Haslam going to do if Pettine (assisted by Farmer) brought in yet another big stinking pile of crap at the qb position? I'm saying- If Pettine's right- he's going to look like a genius- if he's wrong- well. He's going to have no choice but to start Johnny when the Browns are 2-8 or 3-7 at the bye. Another season flushed down the toilet. The Ghoolie pessimist in me could easily see that happening. Go take a look at some of the recent NFL power rankings and tell me I'm making that scenario up. I'm getting too damn old to keep putting up with yet another lost season.
I don't think it has as much to do with the fan base as with the pundits. The guys supposed to be sports gurus who are pretty much all a little bit shocked.
You have to admit it's not a common practice of professional football coaches, successful or otherwise, preferring to start journeyman over your first round quarterback pick.
WSS
The above says it Steve. If said journeyman sucks- Pettine may have bought himself a ticket out of town.
-
-
I don't know anybody who didn't think Mike Holmgren was a hell of a hire. Who the fuck knew?
WSS
you're right. we never met.
i knew.
-
I don't know anybody who didn't think Mike Holmgren was a hell of a hire. Who the fuck knew?
WSS
Just one of many big time front office mess ups. It started with Carmen Policy, and went downhill from there. Phil Savage seems to have found his niche as an announcer for Alabama games. I think Butch Davis is currently running the Kurig machine for Tampa Bay's front office.
-
I don't know anybody who didn't think Mike Holmgren was a hell of a hire. Who the fuck knew?
WSS
Just one of many big time front office mess ups. It started with Carmen Policy, and went downhill from there. Phil Savage seems to have found his niche as an announcer for Alabama games. I think Butch Davis is currently running the Kurig machine for Tampa Bay's front office.
Just one of many big time front office mess ups. It started with Carmen Policy, and went downhill from there. Phil Savage seems to have found his niche as an announcer for Alabama games. I think Butch Davis is currently running the Kurig machine for Tampa Bay's front office.
Oh well. Shit happens the fans will bitch like little girls if you don't hire legitimate football people and then again when you do.
WSS
-
Speaking of "legitimate" football people...
Joe Banner was on NFL Insiders again yesterday. Setting aside this odd, snarling smile he's developed he had a couple Browns-related comments...
Said our D was going to confuse a lot of QBs as it sends blitzers from any look at any time.
Said Wheezy has a great arm, but when you get to the level of experience he's at now and mentally he is no further along than he is, then you have to begin to question...
-
It's the right decision. Don't tell your team to play so hard, so tough, and then
tell them "gee, you just lost your job because the other guy..."
nah. If/when Johnny takes over as the starter - it's because he gets the understanding
of the offense and defenses... like McCown, and EARNS the starter position.
It's the right decision. Don't tell your team to play so hard, so tough, and then
tell them "gee, you just lost your job because the other guy..."
nah. If/when Johnny takes over as the starter - it's because he gets the understanding
of the offense and defenses... like McCown, and EARNS the starter position.
The "other guy" was drafted in the first round and should be playing Now! McCown knew his role when he signed. Riding the bench another year puts the Browns back another year. They still won't know who their quarterback is going into 2016. McCown is the backup and can't stay healthy. So if we start losing with McCown Pettine's on the hot seat. As he should be.
Pettine lets Johnny play and his job is secure.
-
Dude better not biff, or I'm gonna shit my drawers. Big time.
-
Dude better not biff, or I'm gonna shit my drawers. Big time.
Dude better not biff, or I'm gonna shit my drawers. Big time.
Just when I thought it was safe to read and drink beverage, Steak and Eggs clobbered my multi-tasking mojo. Now I'm cleaning coffee off my keyboard. Nevertheless, Welcome aboard SteakAndEggsactlies!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login