McCown Starts
-
Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? If McCown offers average play, you still have two years max and you are back to square one. I would rather have a year of learning what you have then make the judgment call on whether you cut bait. You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind. I prefer pulling Band-Aids off instead of dragging it out.
If Johnny isn't the answer then what makes you think drafting another 1st round QB won't include having 'pain for several' years more?
If Johnny isn't the answer then what makes you think drafting another 1st round QB won't include having 'pain for several' years more?
For one, you would have a QB actually picked without interference from the owner. Someone they feel can actually do the job. Second, the rook would have at least a year behind McCown to learn. Hopefully a kid that doesn't spend that year being a drunk and not reading a play book.
-
Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB. However, they likely have two seasons max out of the guy.
-
Bear in mind, I am still very skeptical of Johhny. He could prove me wrong but I still don't see it.
Bear in mind, I am still very skeptical of Johhny. He could prove me wrong but I still don't see it.
Agreed. A couple lucky hail mary's doesn't do it for me, especially when fumbling seems to be an issue. JF hasn't done enough to win the starting job. When he does, I'll be a fanboy.
-
Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB. However, they likely have two seasons max out of the guy.
I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB. However, they likely have two seasons max out of the guy.
So to generalize your argument - You would rather Pet set the depth chart to possibly help the team win 2 years from now, at the cost of winning today?
Sounds yucky when said out loud

-
I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB. However, they likely have two seasons max out of the guy.
So to generalize your argument - You would rather Pet set the depth chart to possibly help the team win 2 years from now, at the cost of winning today?
Sounds yucky when said out loud

So to generalize your argument - You would rather Pet set the depth chart to possibly help the team win 2 years from now, at the cost of winning today?
Sounds yucky when said out loud

Being average for two years and potentially being in the gutter again is too much for this guy haha. Would rather have the team set up for long term success.
-
So to generalize your argument - You would rather Pet set the depth chart to possibly help the team win 2 years from now, at the cost of winning today?
Sounds yucky when said out loud

Being average for two years and potentially being in the gutter again is too much for this guy haha. Would rather have the team set up for long term success.
Being average for two years and potentially being in the gutter again is too much for this guy haha. Would rather have the team set up for long term success.
Your argument makes no sense when phrased like that. IF Johnny is the real deal, then him waiting certainly won't hurt his development.
Start him now, he fails, draft another rookie QB who sits behind McCown for a year or two (your words) would still make this team average.
-
It's the right decision. Don't tell your team to play so hard, so tough, and then
tell them "gee, you just lost your job because the other guy..."
nah. If/when Johnny takes over as the starter - it's because he gets the understanding
of the offense and defenses... like McCown, and EARNS the starter position.
-
Going with the safer bet short term while potentially screwing themselves long term.
Going with the safer bet short term while potentially screwing themselves long term.
Why? Its not like they cut JFF, they just said, I believe, that he needs more seasoning.
-
Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
I don't like fumbling on the end zone and giving the opponent the ball at their own 35.Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
I don't care how about drive, passion, effort he put in. Being stupid will lose you football games. Total momentum swing and demoralizer that set the tone of the game.
McCown also isn't a very good quarterback (we already know that, along with 9+ other teams), but it's really Pettine's judgement call so I'll trust them.
--
I believe in win now philosophy, not next year.
But McCowns track record doesn't involve much winning
-
So its not at all possible to win games, whilst continuing to groom Johnny with practice reps and spot action? You're saying to toss Manziel in as the starter simply to 'see what we have', even if it costs us perhaps finishing .500, correct?
Yeah, that's a great message to send to the vets and members of this team.
Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? If McCown offers average play, you still have two years max and you are back to square one. I would rather have a year of learning what you have then make the judgment call on whether you cut bait. You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind. I prefer pulling Band-Aids off instead of dragging it out.
Pain for one year or pain for several. Which one would you prefer? ..... You would have McCown for another year to let a rook learn behind...
How about no pain, if possible?......I think that is the plan for this year.....McCown, with the redshirt rook behind him....
For one, you would have a QB actually picked without interference from the owner. Someone they feel can actually do the job. Second, the rook would have at least a year behind McCown to learn. Hopefully a kid that doesn't spend that year being a drunk and not reading a play book.
Speculation on the first 2 lines.....and "our current status" on the last 2....
I already said McCown is the better chance to win right now. He is the better QB.
Which is why he should play now.....bottom line.....best players play....Fuck the whole "2 years from now thing"....we are sick of waiting for the next great "pick".....oy....
Being average for two years and potentially being in the gutter again is too much for this guy haha. Would rather have the team set up for long term success.
Which is why you play the best players and let the new ones come along slowly....after all the "kids gloves" handling of Johnny this off season and preseason....why suddenly blow it up by putting the pressure of a make it or break it season on his back???when we have a better starter and one who is willing to work with him?....
He'll get his chance....(this year).....
-
McClown keeps running without sliding, well see Johnny on Sunday.
-
I don't like fumbling on the end zone and giving the opponent the ball at their own 35.Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
I don't care how about drive, passion, effort he put in. Being stupid will lose you football games. Total momentum swing and demoralizer that set the tone of the game.
McCown also isn't a very good quarterback (we already know that, along with 9+ other teams), but it's really Pettine's judgement call so I'll trust them.
--
I believe in win now philosophy, not next year.
But McCowns track record doesn't involve much winning
I don't like fumbling on the end zone and giving the opponent the ball at their own 35.
I don't care how about drive, passion, effort he put in. Being stupid will lose you football games. Total momentum swing and demoralizer that set the tone of the game.
McCown also isn't a very good quarterback (we already know that, along with 9+ other teams), but it's really Pettine's judgement call so I'll trust them.
Does McCowns one fumble outweigh Johnnys interception and 4 fumbles?....(or was it 5?).....cause he definitely gave the Jets some seriously good field position.....
And, when Josh does make a mistake(and he will).....ugh.....cause NOW the Johnny brigate will demand perfection from him....or else.....first screw up and they'll all be screaming JOHNNY, as if he would be mistake free......BOOK IT!
-
Maybe this is what Pettine wants to see out of JFF:
He wants to see JFF get angry about being "benched" and to see him demand to be the starter by his actions.
-
Does anyone have the time, or will, to list all of the QB controversies we've had since '99?
-
I don't like fumbling on the end zone and giving the opponent the ball at their own 35.
I don't care how about drive, passion, effort he put in. Being stupid will lose you football games. Total momentum swing and demoralizer that set the tone of the game.
McCown also isn't a very good quarterback (we already know that, along with 9+ other teams), but it's really Pettine's judgement call so I'll trust them.
Does McCowns one fumble outweigh Johnnys interception and 4 fumbles?....(or was it 5?).....cause he definitely gave the Jets some seriously good field position.....
And, when Josh does make a mistake(and he will).....ugh.....cause NOW the Johnny brigate will demand perfection from him....or else.....first screw up and they'll all be screaming JOHNNY, as if he would be mistake free......BOOK IT!
Does McCowns one fumble outweigh Johnnys interception and 4 fumbles?....(or was it 5?).....cause he definitely gave the Jets some seriously good field position.....
And, when Josh does make a mistake(and he will).....ugh.....cause NOW the Johnny brigate will demand perfection from him....or else.....first screw up and they'll all be screaming JOHNNY, as if he would be mistake free......BOOK IT!
I'm not in the Johnny brigade, don't worry that's well documented

I'm just very far from the McCown brigade. McCown sucking is pretty well established so it's not a surprise when it happens. At least with Johnny there's hope his mistakes will lessen over time.
Conversely, McCown has fumbled on 100% of the drives he's played in this year. It can be spun many ways.
-
Does anyone have the time, or will, to list all of the QB controversies we've had since '99?
Does anyone have the time, or will, to list all of the QB controversies we've had since '99?
NO!.....
I would say there have been no "legitimate" controversies....just made up ones.....cause they all sucked...
So, lots of people screaming for the "next" one, but never based upon his actually playing or being a better QB....
Nope....most have been based upon "this one sucks, so that one must be the right choice"......
Grass is greener, yada yada.....
-
I don't like fumbling on the end zone and giving the opponent the ball at their own 35.Hey Logic, what exactly about McCown's 90yd drive did you not like?
I'll admit that his decision to stick it in the endzone wasn't the smartest choice, but fuck, the dude wants to win and gave everything he had to score....... Give me 52 more like that and I'll win a Super Bowl.
I don't care how about drive, passion, effort he put in. Being stupid will lose you football games. Total momentum swing and demoralizer that set the tone of the game.
McCown also isn't a very good quarterback (we already know that, along with 9+ other teams), but it's really Pettine's judgement call so I'll trust them.
--
I believe in win now philosophy, not next year.
But McCowns track record doesn't involve much winning
I don't like fumbling on the end zone and giving the opponent the ball at their own 35.
I don't care how about drive, passion, effort he put in. Being stupid will lose you football games. Total momentum swing and demoralizer that set the tone of the game.
If (I know that ifs and buts were candy and nuts...) but "if" McCown doesn't fumble, most everyone (except the dumbest of Manzealots - which we have several) is calling him a gutsy gamer, who's tough as nails.
Again, he drove the team 90 plus yds, on the road, against a tough D............. I don't know about you, but I sure want to see more of that.
-
This is a smart move. McCown is clearly the better qb right now. He would have beaten the Titans, and might have beaten the Jets, if not for that flukey goal-line hit.
Obviously I wish Johnny was playing, but not much has changed. It's week 3, McCown is still better, Johnny still needs to get better. Also, if the defense keeps it up, this could be a playoff team. You have to give
yourself the best chance to win NOW.
If nothing else, the team now knows that the backup can come in and win games if needed.
-
Does anyone have the time, or will, to list all of the QB controversies we've had since '99?
Does anyone have the time, or will, to list all of the QB controversies we've had since '99?
Jesus, Mary and Joseph do you really want to rekindle that mess?
As understand it, there was a huge board rift on here because of that.
-
This is a smart move. McCown is clearly the better qb right now. He would have beaten the Titans, and might have beaten the Jets, if not for that flukey goal-line hit.
Obviously I wish Johnny was playing, but not much has changed. It's week 3, McCown is still better, Johnny still needs to get better. Also, if the defense keeps it up, this could be a playoff team. You have to give
yourself the best chance to win NOW.
If nothing else, the team now knows that the backup can come in and win games if needed.
This is a smart move. McCown is clearly the better qb right now. He would have beaten the Titans, and might have beaten the Jets, if not for that flukey goal-line hit.
Obviously I wish Johnny was playing, but not much has changed. It's week 3, McCown is still better, Johnny still needs to get better. Also, if the defense keeps it up, this could be a playoff team. You have to give
yourself the best chance to win NOW.
If nothing else, the team now knows that the backup can come in and win games if needed.
Very intelligent post from one of us who has believed in Johnny yet understands he'll have his time.
I've bolded a statement that bodes well for the Browns.
Mike
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login