McCown was the wrong choice
-
I'll just state my opinion once, and I'll do it here. The QB position is an area of concern, but it isn't even in the top 3 areas of concern for me. Our offensive line play is awful. Our game day readiness is pathetic. Our Defense is as far from being a bully as one can get. Our offensive play calling is beyond predictable....... Shit, I can keep going on and on, but I don't want to.......... As for the QB position, I would start Johnny this week, no question about it.
We just aren't a good football team.... Period. Coaching and players alike. We look like the doormat of the NFL, so there is nowhere to go but up (please God, let us not fall any lower) and we might as well see if Johnny is our elusive franchise QB, or if he's just the next former Browns QB bust.
The organization should be embarrassed, I know I am.
-
I think so as well but we don't see Manziel in practice. I have a hard time believing an NFL head coach is leaving his best option on the bench for any reason.
-
I'll just state my opinion once, and I'll do it here. The QB position is an area of concern, but it isn't even in the top 3 areas of concern for me. Our offensive line play is awful. Our game day readiness is pathetic. Our Defense is as far from being a bully as one can get. Our offensive play calling is beyond predictable....... Shit, I can keep going on and on, but I don't want to.......... As for the QB position, I would start Johnny this week, no question about it.
We just aren't a good football team.... Period. Coaching and players alike. We look like the doormat of the NFL, so there is nowhere to go but up (please God, let us not fall any lower) and we might as well see if Johnny is our elusive franchise QB, or if he's just the next former Browns QB bust.
The organization should be embarrassed, I know I am.
I'll just state my opinion once, and I'll do it here. The QB position is an area of concern, but it isn't even in the top 3 areas of concern for me. Our offensive line play is awful. Our game day readiness is pathetic. Our Defense is as far from being a bully as one can get. Our offensive play calling is beyond predictable....... Shit, I can keep going on and on, but I don't want to.......... As for the QB position, I would start Johnny this week, no question about it.
We just aren't a good football team.... Period. Coaching and players alike. We look like the doormat of the NFL, so there is nowhere to go but up (please God, let us not fall any lower) and we might as well see if Johnny is our elusive franchise QB, or if he's just the next former Browns QB bust.
The organization should be embarrassed, I know I am.
There is the key, they aren't. They pack their stadium with very supportive rabid fans who feel next year will be "the" year. There were some boo birds today but not nearly enough fan participation for what is a proud franchise in the toilet.
-
McCown looked like a QB just cleared for practice mid week after two weeks off behind a line that was getting mauled across the board. That he actually got better the 2nd half should be commended in a game that looked lost with 10 min. to go. Not ready to give up on him yet.
-
I'll just state my opinion once, and I'll do it here. The QB position is an area of concern, but it isn't even in the top 3 areas of concern for me. Our offensive line play is awful. Our game day readiness is pathetic. Our Defense is as far from being a bully as one can get. Our offensive play calling is beyond predictable....... Shit, I can keep going on and on, but I don't want to.......... As for the QB position, I would start Johnny this week, no question about it.
We just aren't a good football team.... Period. Coaching and players alike. We look like the doormat of the NFL, so there is nowhere to go but up (please God, let us not fall any lower) and we might as well see if Johnny is our elusive franchise QB, or if he's just the next former Browns QB bust.
The organization should be embarrassed, I know I am.
I'll just state my opinion once, and I'll do it here. The QB position is an area of concern, but it isn't even in the top 3 areas of concern for me. Our offensive line play is awful. Our game day readiness is pathetic. Our Defense is as far from being a bully as one can get. Our offensive play calling is beyond predictable....... Shit, I can keep going on and on, but I don't want to.......... As for the QB position, I would start Johnny this week, no question about it.
We just aren't a good football team.... Period. Coaching and players alike. We look like the doormat of the NFL, so there is nowhere to go but up (please God, let us not fall any lower) and we might as well see if Johnny is our elusive franchise QB, or if he's just the next former Browns QB bust.
The organization should be embarrassed, I know I am.
^ Nothing more needs to be said.
-
Still not ready to agree Josh was the wrong choice this week, bb.
However, if our D and our run game are going to no-show, then he's not the right choice.
As close as I can get for now...
Still not ready to agree Josh was the wrong choice this week, bb.
However, if our D and our run game are going to no-show, then he's not the right choice.
As close as I can get for now...
Tour I agree if your goal is to push the envelope and go 7-9 or 6-10 because that is the ceiling for this team. I think at some point you have to quantify what you have in Manziel then move on. Mccown can start next year with a rookie on the roster or god forbid backup for another journeyman cashing in like a Fitzpatrick.
-
I'll just state my opinion once, and I'll do it here. The QB position is an area of concern, but it isn't even in the top 3 areas of concern for me. Our offensive line play is awful. Our game day readiness is pathetic. Our Defense is as far from being a bully as one can get. Our offensive play calling is beyond predictable....... Shit, I can keep going on and on, but I don't want to.......... As for the QB position, I would start Johnny this week, no question about it.
We just aren't a good football team.... Period. Coaching and players alike. We look like the doormat of the NFL, so there is nowhere to go but up (please God, let us not fall any lower) and we might as well see if Johnny is our elusive franchise QB, or if he's just the next former Browns QB bust.
The organization should be embarrassed, I know I am.
There is the key, they aren't. They pack their stadium with very supportive rabid fans who feel next year will be "the" year. There were some boo birds today but not nearly enough fan participation for what is a proud franchise in the toilet.
There is the key, they aren't.
Record of 1-2 after what all thought was a fairly benign opening schedule?
I'm thinking they're pretty embarrassed right about now... even knowing now that the Jets a good and the Raiders improved... I'm pretty sure.
-
Damn tour-we agreed while typing. LOL!
-
At what point in McCown career was he ever the right choice?
You all know if he was QBing for the Steelers, Bengals or Ravens you be laughing your asses of if he was the QB we were facing.
-
There is the key, they aren't.
Record of 1-2 after what all thought was a fairly benign opening schedule?
I'm thinking they're pretty embarrassed right about now... even knowing now that the Jets a good and the Raiders improved... I'm pretty sure.
Record of 1-2 after what all thought was a fairly benign opening schedule?
I'm thinking they're pretty embarrassed right about now... even knowing now that the Jets a good and the Raiders improved... I'm pretty sure.
Week 6 they'll be 1-5 or 2-4 but the home crowd will be there in full force to cheer on their hometown team. When Denver has them down 21-3 there will be some boos for Josh or Johnny but no real statement.
-
Faded said:
Pettine is a conservative, defensive-minded coach. His idea of a perfect game would be a 40+ run, eight possession game that you win 6-3. Manziel is the antithesis of this. He is always going to be some amalgam of brilliance and dumbassery. At this point in his career, I expect the dumbassery will outweigh the brilliance by at least a little. Over time, the hope is that balance shifts the other way, and now you have a fully serviceable and electric playmaker that means you are never out of the game. We'll see.
But, even then, I think Pettine would struggle with Manziel, and will never be comfortable with the gunslinger approach. I'm not sure Manziel can ever be the QB Pettine really wants. The debacle from last year may have left some scars, as well. I think Pettine is no idiot, and Manziel is no washout (though it's early to tell), but I think the pairing may be problematic.
EVERY head coach in the NFL wants to win hence Jay Cutler will have a job.
-
I'm crazy about the browns, but mccown was really bad... I had fun tailgating tho
-
It's not that McCown lost the job. He didn't. It's that this team has now shown over 3 games they're not nearly as good as we thought they were so playing for this year is now pointless.
We thought you just airdrop McCown behind an elite OL, a great running game, and an elite defense, and we had a chance to make the playoffs. I still believe that's true re: McCown. Problem is it doesn't appear we have any of those 3 things.
-
Faded said:
If they do play Manziel, though, I hope they let him throw on first or second down every once in while.
I'll continue to be a broken record, Johnny Manziel's stats in 7 games are fucking terrible
-
McCown looked like a QB just cleared for practice mid week after two weeks off behind a line that was getting mauled across the board. That he actually got better the 2nd half should be commended in a game that looked lost with 10 min. to go. Not ready to give up on him yet.
McCown looked a QB just cleared for practice mid week after two weeks off behind a line that was getting mauled across the board. That he actually got better the 2nd half should be commended in a game that looked lost with 10 min. to go. Not ready to give up on him yet.
Sure... some rust visible in spots. Some momentum in 2nd half, but I think the Raiders' D softened some to help that... just as ours did last week vs. Titans. But very late they seemed to have been able to turn it back on.
I'll add that I saw a lot more 3-4 out of them this week than I did in their game vs. BLT.
Tour I agree if your goal is to push the envelope and go 7-9 or 6-10 because that is the ceiling for this team. I think at some point you have to quantify what you have in Manziel then move on. Mccown can start next year with a rookie on the roster or god forbid backup for another journeyman cashing in like a Fitzpatrick.
May well be the ceiling... certainly if I extrapolate on 1-2, then I end up 6-10 at best... but I can't do that... or at least I can't and claim it's valid.
Beyond that I think we're disagreeing primarily on how many games are needed to evaluate a QB. For me 13 is high... and honestly... trying to do that the way we looked today is problematic.
-
McCown looked a QB just cleared for practice mid week after two weeks off behind a line that was getting mauled across the board. That he actually got better the 2nd half should be commended in a game that looked lost with 10 min. to go. Not ready to give up on him yet.
Sure... some rust visible in spots. Some momentum in 2nd half, but I think the Raiders' D softened some to help that... just as ours did last week vs. Titans. But very late they seemed to have been able to turn it back on.
I'll add that I saw a lot more 3-4 out of them this week than I did in their game vs. BLT.
Tour I agree if your goal is to push the envelope and go 7-9 or 6-10 because that is the ceiling for this team. I think at some point you have to quantify what you have in Manziel then move on. Mccown can start next year with a rookie on the roster or god forbid backup for another journeyman cashing in like a Fitzpatrick.
May well be the ceiling... certainly if I extrapolate on 1-2, then I end up 6-10 at best... but I can't do that... or at least I can't and claim it's valid.
Beyond that I think we're disagreeing primarily on how many games are needed to evaluate a QB. For me 13 is high... and honestly... trying to do that the way we looked today is problematic.
Sure... some rust visible in spots. Some momentum in 2nd half, but I think the Raiders' D softened some to help that... just as ours did last week vs. Titans. But very late they seemed to have been able to turn it back on.
I'll add that I saw a lot more 3-4 out of them this week than I did in their game vs. BLT.
May well be the ceiling... certainly if I extrapolate on 1-2, then I end up 6-10 at best... but I can't do that... or at least I can't and claim it's valid.
Beyond that I think we're disagreeing primarily on how many games are needed to evaluate a QB. For me 13 is high... and honestly... trying to do that the way we looked today is problematic.
Agree on that but Manziel's stats through 7 games in the NFL are horrible.
-
Faded said:
Pettine is a conservative, defensive-minded coach. His idea of a perfect game would be a 40+ run, eight possession game that you win 6-3. Manziel is the antithesis of this. He is always going to be some amalgam of brilliance and dumbassery. At this point in his career, I expect the dumbassery will outweigh the brilliance by at least a little. Over time, the hope is that balance shifts the other way, and now you have a fully serviceable and electric playmaker that means you are never out of the game. We'll see.
But, even then, I think Pettine would struggle with Manziel, and will never be comfortable with the gunslinger approach. I'm not sure Manziel can ever be the QB Pettine really wants. The debacle from last year may have left some scars, as well. I think Pettine is no idiot, and Manziel is no washout (though it's early to tell), but I think the pairing may be problematic.
It feels like I wrote this... only it's better... and half as long...
-
Faded said:
Pettine is a conservative, defensive-minded coach. His idea of a perfect game would be a 40+ run, eight possession game that you win 6-3. Manziel is the antithesis of this. He is always going to be some amalgam of brilliance and dumbassery. At this point in his career, I expect the dumbassery will outweigh the brilliance by at least a little. Over time, the hope is that balance shifts the other way, and now you have a fully serviceable and electric playmaker that means you are never out of the game. We'll see.
But, even then, I think Pettine would struggle with Manziel, and will never be comfortable with the gunslinger approach. I'm not sure Manziel can ever be the QB Pettine really wants. The debacle from last year may have left some scars, as well. I think Pettine is no idiot, and Manziel is no washout (though it's early to tell), but I think the pairing may be problematic.
It feels like I wrote this... only it's better... and half as long...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login