Skip to content

Is Haden Washed Up?

The Browns Board
93 28 3.9k
  • Joe is one of the few CB's I think would be able to make the transition to safety. He has the recognition skills, hands, eyes, time on the offensive side of the ball (high school and college, but still) and ability to put on a few pounds so he'll hover at that 200 spot.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Joe is one of the few CB's I think would be able to make the transition to safety. He has the recognition skills, hands, eyes, time on the offensive side of the ball (high school and college, but still) and ability to put on a few pounds so he'll hover at that 200 spot.

    and that is very cool an idea - Joe is physical enough... nice job.

  • Joe is one of the few CB's I think would be able to make the transition to safety. He has the recognition skills, hands, eyes, time on the offensive side of the ball (high school and college, but still) and ability to put on a few pounds so he'll hover at that 200 spot.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Joe is one of the few CB's I think would be able to make the transition to safety. He has the recognition skills, hands, eyes, time on the offensive side of the ball (high school and college, but still) and ability to put on a few pounds so he'll hover at that 200 spot.

    Very good point! I'm hoping we don't need to do this yet because I love how instinctive he is at playing corner. IMO, the 2015 season was a product of nagging injuries snowballing on him coupled with the reality RBs were turning our corners without contain with full heads of steam on our secondary that was coincidentally ravaged by concussions in 2015.

    Aside from his talent in coverage, Joe has ALWAYS been a great tackler in space with a willingness to come off his man to tackle a big TE breaking free or another WR crossing thirds. There's always going to be a forgettable day for a great corner just ask Patrick Peterson about the day he had covering Julio Jones a year or 2 ago. OR, how about when Antoine Winfield had to cover Plex Burress the day Ohio State fell asleep at the wheel on a big lead vrs Michigan State and kissed their National Championship hopes good night. I'm bringing this up because I know someone that finally wants to be right about Haden can't wait to remind us about opening day vrs Brandon Marshall in 2015. Marshall did that almost every week to corners with his size and wing span advantage as well as made himself one of the toughest WRs in this league to tackle after the catch. The film doesn't lie.

    My only worry with Haden is once you start getting dome injuries - they tend to increase in frequency. Anyone remember what happened to Evan Moore after he got a huge salary increase before training camp? He got so many concussions he turned into a porcelain doll and rarely played the year of the big contract. One guy used to call him Evan Moorcelain. If anyone understands this game, they don't question Joe Haden at all.

  • Haden was trash again last season.

    The hype and laziness, along with Joe's public love for Cleveland, made him a superstar that he never was.

    Not mentioned here, either http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000671496/article/patrick-peterson-darrelle-revis-or-richard-sherman-nfls-top-corner?campaign=tw-nf-sf29756586-sf29756586

    @mike-h said:

    Haden was trash again last season.

    The hype and laziness, along with Joe's public love for Cleveland, made him a superstar that he never was.

    Not mentioned here, either http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000671496/article/patrick-peterson-darrelle-revis-or-richard-sherman-nfls-top-corner?campaign=tw-nf-sf29756586-sf29756586

    Okay Mary Kay but we're not on "The View" sipping tea with Whoopi's Goldbergs...

  • Mike Hiccup has megapoutsies

    A.J. Green stymied by 'great' Joe Haden - Cincinnati Bengals Blog ...
    espn.go.com/blog/.../bengals-browns-nfl-aj-green-joe-haden-stymied

    Nov 17, 2013 - CINCINNATI -- This time, just like the last time, an A.J. Green-Joe

    "This time, just like the last time, an A.J. Green-Joe Haden tilt went in favor of the Cleveland Browns cornerback."

    "But at the end of Sunday's game, Haden's efforts -- fueled by two first-quarter interceptions -- weren't enough."

    'Green, gaining just 7 yards on two receptions, had one of the worst performances of his career. It was enough for the player who entered the day leading the NFL in receiving yards to recognize the cornerback's work and to give a respectful nod.

    "It's a tough road every time I go against him," Green said. "He's probably one of the best corners anywhere, but that also goes to their defense. The Browns have a real good defense and they scheme well. But he's also a great corner."'

  • so Mike H thinks he has never been a great cb...

    AJ Green knows better, obviously, and KNOWS what he's

    TALKING ABOUT.

    Your Honor, I move that Mike H.'s dumb case be dismissed.

  • 2015

    http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20150606/NEWS/150609587

    Whatever the case, Haden called last month and Green quickly said, “I’ll be there” when Haden invited him to play in the second annual Joe Haden and Friends Celebrity Softball Game.

    “It’s always good to support my boy Joe and help him with his cause, and get out here and have fun with some of the best players in the world,” Green said before the game began as he and the other players from around the NFL milled around in right field chatting with fans. “I’ve gone against Joe since my freshman year in college (at Georgia). It’s always been a tough match.

    “He’s one of the best I’ve ever gone against. It’s always fun to go against him because I always have to work.”

    Haden was a rookie first-round draft pick in 2010. Green was a rookie first-round pick in 2011 — the same year the Bengals drafted quarterback Andy Dalton in the second round.

    The Bengals have made the playoffs all four years Green and Dalton have been in Cincinnati, although they have never advanced past the first round. Their success, though, has not been at the expense of Haden.

    Green got the best of Haden in 2011, but for the last three years it has been advantage Haden every time. And when they meet five months from now in Paul Brown Stadium, Haden will do his best to extend the streak. He is grateful Green played in the softball game, but all “thank yous” were fulfilled Saturday night.

    “That’s so cool I was able to hit him up and he just came with no questions asked,” Haden said. “It just shows that it’s still a fraternity at the end of the day once you get off the field.

    “When I get back on the field, I’m going to try to lock him up and he’s going to try to maul me. That’s our job. I’m not going to go easy on him for this. I know he’s not going to go easy on me.”

  • The hype and laziness, along with Joe's public love for Cleveland, made him a superstar that he never was.

    Mike Hicuppsies

    *********************************************

    Mike Hiccupsies wants to talk trashies again? 😎

  • Mike Hiccup has megapoutsies

    A.J. Green stymied by 'great' Joe Haden - Cincinnati Bengals Blog ...
    espn.go.com/blog/.../bengals-browns-nfl-aj-green-joe-haden-stymied

    Nov 17, 2013 - CINCINNATI -- This time, just like the last time, an A.J. Green-Joe

    "This time, just like the last time, an A.J. Green-Joe Haden tilt went in favor of the Cleveland Browns cornerback."

    "But at the end of Sunday's game, Haden's efforts -- fueled by two first-quarter interceptions -- weren't enough."

    'Green, gaining just 7 yards on two receptions, had one of the worst performances of his career. It was enough for the player who entered the day leading the NFL in receiving yards to recognize the cornerback's work and to give a respectful nod.

    "It's a tough road every time I go against him," Green said. "He's probably one of the best corners anywhere, but that also goes to their defense. The Browns have a real good defense and they scheme well. But he's also a great corner."'

    @calfoxwc said:

    Mike Hiccup has megapoutsies

    God bless ya!

  • I don't even remember starting this.

  • Man, I certainly HOPE he isn't washed up. Our defense is especially light on stars, and we absolutely need this guy to come back at a high level. Problem is, he hasn't been healthy, and he's certainly not healthy now. We don't even know WHEN he's supposed to be back, or what kind of shape he'll be in. Remember last year when Haden missed a great deal of training camp and never really seemed like himself? He got dinged up, hurt some more, and never got into any kind of rhythm.

    I love this guy, and I think he means a lot to our city and team. I truly hope he heals quickly and comes back with a vengeance.