Skip to content

Anatomy of a 1st and Goal Fail...

The Browns Board
23 12 1.0k
  • I really like these threads. Too bad they usually end awful.

    @letsgojackets said:

    I really like these threads. Too bad they usually end awful.

    Someday...

    @mike-h said:

    Should have drafted Sammy Watkins, obviously

    Yup I was a Sammy guy, right up until Khalil Mack was available at #4. I did not see that coming.

    Weren't you a Greg Robinson guy?

  • Want to here the worst of it??? On one of the downs (I forget

    which one) the Raiders only had 10 men on the field and we

    STILL could not punch it in.

  • Quite frankly for very short yardage inside the 5, I would have had a real dual threat QB running the show with no stupid sneak plays allowed for that little leprechaun. The fact that he presents a threat to the outside takes away some of the inside defense stacking.

  • Quite frankly for very short yardage inside the 5, I would have had a real dual threat QB running the show with no stupid sneak plays allowed for that little leprechaun. The fact that he presents a threat to the outside takes away some of the inside defense stacking.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Quite frankly for very short yardage inside the 5, I would have had a real dual threat QB running the show with no stupid sneak plays allowed for that little leprechaun. The fact that he presents a threat to the outside takes away some of the inside defense stacking.

    Exactly !!

  • So Crowell blew it by not following the block. Mack called for penalty. Your pics are the most I've seen of the game. If they clean this up what are the chances of a win in San Diego?

  • Opal, this is going to sound really dumb, but after finishing grading the OAK game... I'm optimistic about San Diego.

  • Want to here the worst of it??? On one of the downs (I forget

    which one) the Raiders only had 10 men on the field and we

    STILL could not punch it in.

    @darubes said:

    Want to here the worst of it??? On one of the downs (I forget

    which one) the Raiders only had 10 men on the field and we

    STILL could not punch it in.

    I know... it was third down... it was in my write up...

    I know it's a long post, but sheesh... 😉

  • Opal, this is going to sound really dumb, but after finishing grading the OAK game... I'm optimistic about San Diego.

    @tour2ma said:

    Opal, this is going to sound really dumb, but after finishing grading the OAK game... I'm optimistic about San Diego.

    We are beating San Diego...bet the house on it.

  • Opal, this is going to sound really dumb, but after finishing grading the OAK game... I'm optimistic about San Diego.

    @tour2ma said:

    Opal, this is going to sound really dumb, but after finishing grading the OAK game... I'm optimistic about San Diego.

    I see the 2nd half has "biased" the grader. 😉

    PS-haven't seen the grades yet, but I'm sure it will reflect how much better it was than the 1st half. That was my "live" take on it.

  • Tour, we need to get you a job on ESPN- thanks for the play by play breakdown.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Opal, this is going to sound really dumb, but after finishing grading the OAK game... I'm optimistic about San Diego.

    We are beating San Diego...bet the house on it.

    @mark-o said:

    We are beating San Diego...bet the house on it.

    Not with the Geezer at quarterback.

    Hey- Pet- you afraid to use a couple "Johnny Packages"?

  • Quite frankly for very short yardage inside the 5, I would have had a real dual threat QB running the show with no stupid sneak plays allowed for that little leprechaun. The fact that he presents a threat to the outside takes away some of the inside defense stacking.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Quite frankly for very short yardage inside the 5, I would have had a real dual threat QB running the show with no stupid sneak plays allowed for that little leprechaun. The fact that he presents a threat to the outside takes away some of the inside defense stacking.

    The Raiders were over pursuing the entire game, I was thinking Johnny on a naked bootleg would've worked.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Quite frankly for very short yardage inside the 5, I would have had a real dual threat QB running the show with no stupid sneak plays allowed for that little leprechaun. The fact that he presents a threat to the outside takes away some of the inside defense stacking.

    The Raiders were over pursuing the entire game, I was thinking Johnny on a naked bootleg would've worked.

    @canton-dawg said:

    The Raiders were over pursuing the entire game, I was thinking Johnny on a naked bootleg would've worked.

    With an option to dump it to one of our TE's should they try to come up on him.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Opal, this is going to sound really dumb, but after finishing grading the OAK game... I'm optimistic about San Diego.

    I see the 2nd half has "biased" the grader. 😉

    PS-haven't seen the grades yet, but I'm sure it will reflect how much better it was than the 1st half. That was my "live" take on it.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I see the 2nd half has "biased" the grader. 😉

    PS-haven't seen the grades yet, but I'm sure it will reflect how much better it was than the 1st half. That was my "live" take on it.

    Should be up by noon... 2nd half was almost all pass blocking, and we're better at pass blocking right now.

    @hoorta said:

    Tour, we need to get you a job on ESPN- thanks for the play by play breakdown.

    lol... I will never give up my amateur status. Look what doing so did to Mikey...

    @canton-dawg said:

    The Raiders were over pursuing the entire game, I was thinking Johnny on a naked bootleg would've worked.

    @texasag1969 said:

    With an option to dump it to one of our TE's should they try to come up on him.

    That play has not worked this year. Neither was in the goal-line series, but we ran naked boots twice more on Sunday and the backside OLB stayed home both times. Results were a sack and an incompletion.

    Khalil Mack got the sack on a Boot right. Aldon Smith forced an incompletion on a boot left. JM's added mobility might have made some difference in the latter... and he showed a better sidearm in Week 2 than McCown has.

  • First and goal on the one wouldn't 3 qb sneaks get you into the endzone about everytime? Not real creative but just don't see it not working most of the time. You are at least not going to lose any yardage like you could with running the ball and the runner getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage.

    Well maybe not if you are concerned about an older qb who is just back from a concussion.

  • If Johnny had been QB we would have had the TD. Bank it.

  • Always a huge momentum killer when a team cannot punch the ball into the end zone with a first and goal on the one.

  • First and goal on the one wouldn't 3 qb sneaks get you into the endzone about everytime? Not real creative but just don't see it not working most of the time. You are at least not going to lose any yardage like you could with running the ball and the runner getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage.

    Well maybe not if you are concerned about an older qb who is just back from a concussion.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    Well maybe not if you are concerned about an older qb who is just back from a concussion.

    The more I watched, the more I believed that not running was a point of emphasis with Josh all week. There were plays where Week-1 Josh would have taken off in a heartbeat.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    If Johnny had been QB we would have had the TD. Bank it.

    Which play?