K.I.S.S.
-
We have a 2nd year GM, HC & DC (who is VERY inexperienced for that position), plus a rookie OC & a lot of young, inexperienced players.
Over many years, I have learned (often first hand) that inexperience leads to "over thinking" & confusion by making simple tasks too complex & very difficult to implement & execute. Oh, it looks & sounds elaborate & impressive when planned, but that euphoria leaves when things fail to work as outlined. I have this feeling that our Browns leaders & players have fallen into this trap. Have we made our offense & defense so complex & extensive that it's too difficult to properly implement & execute? Further, are there so many different on field "looks" that opposing teams immediately know what we're planning to do simply by our alignments & players on field?
Is it time to get back to basics with simpler plays, gameplans that can more easily be executed & perfected? Perhaps less shuffling & changing of players & their positions? How about getting back to stressing solid fundamentals, such as tackling & blocking?
IMHO, after cooling off after Sunday's debacle, our biggest obstacle to overcome is INEXPERIENCE. I think the ability & potential for success is there but it will take time. Let's stay the course & hope that all these folks learn from mistakes, both past & present.
If I'm wrong or haven't clearly stated myself, I'm sure I'll know soon enough.
Mike
-
When ya see our one-of-the-very-best offensive lines in the NFL have
trouble with their assignments - is it a matter of adapting to the zone blocking scheme?
(whatever the hell that technically is... I'll have to talk to Flugels - or some of you guys like
Tour can explain the details)
So large a playbook, that, sure, it's all there...but in actual implementation - depending
on all the various factors of what the other team is doing... the multitude of adjustments
to their adjustments... is causing some of the younger players, and even the vets, to often
be unable to go by instinct - and start overthinking things/ overreacting to things?
something like that. Like above- too much detail - "this detail is what we do when they do this in detail, and this
detail is what we do when they do this detail..."
Is there some degree of detail, that when, for example, a defense starts studying film, like the Browns' second game,
and they see what the Browns do in detail... they fake? a certain defensive detail, to set the Browns up to
react to THAT detail,,, and they do something else that catches the Browns offguard.
well, that just got me confused trying to explain my question, I wonder how the players are able
to just play the fundamentals with all the complexity going on.
It isn't so far-fetched - at least from a corp. programmer/analyst (way retired) perspective:
"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclomatic_complexity Correlation to number of defects[edit]A number of studies have investigated cyclomatic complexity's correlation to the number of defects contained in a function or method.[10] Some[citation needed] studies find a positive correlation between cyclomatic complexity and defects: functions and methods that have the highest complexity tend to also contain the most defects, however the correlation between cyclomatic complexity and program size has been demonstrated many times and since program size is not a controllable feature of commercial software, the usefulness of McCabes's number has been called to question."
-
McCabe came out with this theory in 1976 - I started college in 1977 after the Air Force.
More appropriately applicable... is this link I just found:
http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/organization/putting_organizational_complexity_in_its_place
-
I think it is a fair point to say that there is a lot of inexperience with our coaching staff....so yes, perhaps time is warranted.
But I am not sure time will cure the ineptness of our DC. Just a feeling.
-
I think it is a fair point to say that there is a lot of inexperience with our coaching staff....so yes, perhaps time is warranted.
But I am not sure time will cure the ineptness of our DC. Just a feeling.
I think it is a fair point to say that there is a lot of inexperience with our coaching staff....so yes, perhaps time is warranted.
But I am not sure time will cure the ineptness of our DC. Just a feeling.
Gip, the DC bothers me the most. Fundamentals on that side of the ball are lousy!
Mike
-
I think it is a fair point to say that there is a lot of inexperience with our coaching staff....so yes, perhaps time is warranted.
But I am not sure time will cure the ineptness of our DC. Just a feeling.
Gip, the DC bothers me the most. Fundamentals on that side of the ball are lousy!
Mike
Gip, the DC bothers me the most. Fundamentals on that side of the ball are lousy!
Mike
Im with ya Mike......can you say peter principle...?......full effect right here.....
Maybe it's just his enthusiasm or boyish appearance, but Oneill feels more like a HS coach to me....not an NFL DC....
-
I think it is a fair point to say that there is a lot of inexperience with our coaching staff....so yes, perhaps time is warranted.
But I am not sure time will cure the ineptness of our DC. Just a feeling.
Gip, the DC bothers me the most. Fundamentals on that side of the ball are lousy!
Mike
Gip, the DC bothers me the most. Fundamentals on that side of the ball are lousy!
Mike
What fundamentals?... I dont see any..
-
Gip, the DC bothers me the most. Fundamentals on that side of the ball are lousy!
Mike
Im with ya Mike......can you say peter principle...?......full effect right here.....
Maybe it's just his enthusiasm or boyish appearance, but Oneill feels more like a HS coach to me....not an NFL DC....
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login