Skip to content

Browns extend Austin Davis w 2 yr contract

The Browns Board
54 22 2.3k
  • I predict a knee jerk writeoff of Johnny Manziel on the Brownsboard.

    Check, 😛

    As to the speculative opinions about what Pettine thinks about J-Man, I take him at his word that he has a long term plan and to trade him without another several starts would be truly stupid. He not only would not know what kind of gameday performer he has, but would lose a great deal of the fans who paid for that kind of live entertainment that they received against the Titans. I know this is contrary to the mind readers, but I prefer his word, not their mind reading. If nothing else Pet does exactly what he says he is going to do. That I trust and so do his players. He gave his word that Josh was his starter and despite the win, placed him right back in that position. He gave his word to J-Man that he had a long term plan for him. His team trusts him at his word there as well. To betray that trust would be the end of his coaching days.

  • I predict a knee jerk writeoff of Johnny Manziel on the Brownsboard.

    Check, 😛

    As to the speculative opinions about what Pettine thinks about J-Man, I take him at his word that he has a long term plan and to trade him without another several starts would be truly stupid. He not only would not know what kind of gameday performer he has, but would lose a great deal of the fans who paid for that kind of live entertainment that they received against the Titans. I know this is contrary to the mind readers, but I prefer his word, not their mind reading. If nothing else Pet does exactly what he says he is going to do. That I trust and so do his players. He gave his word that Josh was his starter and despite the win, placed him right back in that position. He gave his word to J-Man that he had a long term plan for him. His team trusts him at his word there as well. To betray that trust would be the end of his coaching days.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I predict a knee jerk writeoff of Johnny Manziel on the Brownsboard.

    Ha!....I would agree with that....(cause here it comes).... 😁

    I would at least say this signing makes you wonder "why...all of sudden do you need to do this.....this week...now"???.....when he is already under contract and the GM will be back in just another week.....seems urgent and out of the blue, if yer askin me.....

    So....we now have 3 QB's signed and sealed through the 2017 season.......which is a lot if we plan on drafting one too.....

    I think there are 2 possibilities:

    The Good: The Browns have seen enough and feel confident enough in Johnny that they will move forward with the current group(at least for another year or 2).....which also means no top ranked QB in next years draft....

    Or...

    The Bad: The Browns have seen enough and are getting ready to make a move. And the only reasonable one is a Johnny or Josh trade. I think Opels idea is at least plausible. So....we trade.....move forward with Josh or Johnny, plus Austin.....and pick another next year......??

    I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope its the "good"!!!!!!!

    I also see there is no guaranteed money....so it looks like we can dump Austin w/o issue.....

    Gotta speculate somethings happening, because the signing really doesnt make sense otherwise....

  • Mud-see my edit done while you were typing.

  • Mud-see my edit done while you were typing.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Mud-see my edit done while you were typing.

    Thanks...

    And, even though I know Johnny is the obvious thought.....Im not so sure....could Josh be leaving????...would anyone want him?

    Along with you, I cant believe they'd stick with him through all the ups and downs, then cut him loose right when he looks ready to play......that seems insane........and with all the crap everyone has endured since he was picked, the people will LOSE THEIR MINDS if Johnny doesnt even play.....

    of course, the Browns might be gauging his value(against where it was a few months ago) and think it's peaking now....

    should be an interesting week.....very.....Im completely stumped....

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    And if he didn't? So what. At this point farmer kinda looks like a moron so whatever. I care.

    Damn, that was kind of harsh? I mean, it's not like he threw 9 million dollars in the trash and pissed on it.......... Oh wait.........

    @d-bone said:

    Damn, that was kind of harsh? I mean, it's not like he threw 9 million dollars in the trash and pissed on it.......... Oh wait.........

    Right? Exactly.

  • To me, the most interesting thing that has happened is that Austin was extended a week before Farmer's "scheduled return". They sure do like to stir up the speculation pot around here, hunh?

    We'll see what happens.

    Mike

  • To me, the most interesting thing that has happened is that Austin was extended a week before Farmer's "scheduled return". They sure do like to stir up the speculation pot around here, hunh?

    We'll see what happens.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    To me, the most interesting thing that has happened is that Austin was extended a week before Farmer's "scheduled return". They sure do like to stir up the speculation pot around here, hunh?

    Hey Mike....dont know if you're listening to the radio, but that pot is really being stirred hard right now.....

    Not only was he extended a week early(and when he was already signed for the whole year).....he is now the first QB to EVER be extended before even throwing a pass or playing in a game....first everrrr.....and the first 3rd stringer ever to get a 2 yr extension....sooo.....it IS an extraordinary signing..

    And I also am now hearing there might be 800k guaranteed.....

    Pat McManamon was just on and he's thinking somethings about to happen too.....and he's one of the few that I trust and know is close to the situation....

  • Like fat ass Bitonio.

  • So is the theory that Farmer orchestrated all this or that the current GM is going rogue?

  • So is the theory that Farmer orchestrated all this or that the current GM is going rogue?

    @wargograw said:

    So is the theory that Farmer orchestrated all this or that the current GM is going rogue?

    To feed speculation, please note, from my post above......Farmer's "scheduled return".

    Who knows?

    Mike

  • I would speculate that if they trade Manziel this week the next home game will put Bottlegate to shame.

  • With Jets, Texans, Dallas, Skins & Bears in QB need I find it odd that A. Davis Agent went to Browns to extend deal. Tells me A. Davis Agent maybe getting some calls on deals on who he represents? Done deal now? Only QB Josh maybe better than is Clausen at Bears again?

  • Is Josh practicing this week? Maybe that swollen hand is worse than they are letting on.

  • What's bottlegate?

    McCown to Pittsburgh makes sense. Would these teams ever deal with each other?

  • Josh practiced, hand fine. Bottle gate than straight to "JM Fan Rehab" sure we can 3 Topic it 😉 Ben will be back, not happening there.

  • Trade McClown. Fire Pettine and Farmer. Let JFF play out the season, and lets win some fucking games.

  • I'm hearing Pettine is going to move Davis to OLB

  • Mingo goes to 3rd QB. Am all in..

  • Actually the more reasonable speculation with a move this big is that: a. The Browns don't dare consult Farmer while he is suspended and b. this is a major decision not involving someone about to be fired not named Manziel. Really what has he done?

  • @walterwhite said:

    @TonyGrossi if Ray Farmer is suspended, who signed Austin Davis? How has no one asked this?

    Bill Kuharich Executive Chief of Staff Morocco Brown VP Player Personnel Dan Saganey Manager, Pro Personnel Brian Decker Player Personnel Strategist Ken Kovash Director, Football Research/Player Personnel

    I'm sure Farmer trusted Kuharich and his assistants to make any personal moves they deemed necessary in his absence, and said as much before he got shoved out the door to watch Sunday Ticket at home. .

    If Farmer was going to be fired, why wasn't it done pre-suspension? Only thing that makes sense would be if Pet got in Jimmah's ear big-time as soon as Farmer hit the door... and I don't see that in Pet.

    Edit: Or has Farmer violated the terms of his suspension?

    @hoorta said:

    I'm sure Farmer trusted Kuharich and his assistants to make any personal moves they deemed necessary in his absence, and said as much before he got shoved out the door to watch Sunday Ticket at home.

    As others intimated, it's the timing that's perplexing. Hard to see the urgency around a one-year extension of a third-string QB that could not wait a week.

    @mudfly said:

    I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope its the "good"!!!!!!!

    I honestly see both scenarios as "good"... the only bad would be the current, perpetual state of limbo.