Design not just execution hurting Defense
-
According to Peter Smith: http://nflspinzone.com/2015/10/07/cleveland-browns-design-not-just-execution-hurting-defense/
-
I mean, we are not the most talented defense in the NFL - although maybe highly paid.
We are definitely better talent-wise than they're playing though, especially being ranked at the bottom against average offenses.
When the talent is there, but the performance isn't - the logical place to look for answers is the coaching.
-
Still din't understand why Mingo can't be used as a pass rusher, didnt he register a sack in his first four NFL games as a rookie?
Granted we don't see him in practice
-
I don't understand ...why the hell take Danny Shelton out of the lineup
on pass plays?
He demands attention from two olinemen...wouldn't that
help Cooper get to the qb?
what the.....?
-
-
-
Great article.
It defies logic that Kruger is used in coverage, that Mingo is used as a run defender, that Bademosi sees the field during any down other than "4," etc.
-
I don't understand ...why the hell take Danny Shelton out of the lineup
on pass plays?
He demands attention from two olinemen...wouldn't that
help Cooper get to the qb?
what the.....?
I don't understand ...why the hell take Danny Shelton out of the lineup
on pass plays?
He demands attention from two olinemen...wouldn't that
help Cooper get to the qb?
what the.....?
Same reason the Vikings would take AP off the field on 3rd down......... Coaches over thinking a simple game.
-
Great article.
It defies logic that Kruger is used in coverage, that Mingo is used as a run defender, that Bademosi sees the field during any down other than "4," etc.
Great article.
It defies logic that Kruger is used in coverage, that Mingo is used as a run defender, that Bademosi sees the field during any down other than "4," etc.
I was screaming about this here in preseason when we first saw it. When Solomon was still playing he would be the 4th guy on the line with his hands down and Kruger would be standing but still up on the line...basically running a 5-2. It's one of the stupidest personnel moves I've ever seen in football. Whats ultimately the most troublesome is that this wasn't something they tried out of necessity, they probably had Kruger drop more weight (and likely strength as the result) in the offseason in preparation for having basically act like a 4-3 OLB'er. He's finished as a viable pass rushing entity in the NFL. He should have gone to a 4-3 team after leaving Blt and stayed in the 280's, which is where he was when he was actually beating tackles 1v1 around the edge.
-
Herm Edwards is on Mike&Mike this morning.
"Know Your Players" is your #1 job as a coach. You must put your players in a position to succeed.
IF all of these things are true, the defensive coaching staff [and possibly Pettine as well because he had to have signed off on all of this] needs to be fired yesterday.
-
Like I've been saying, the fire the coach ship sailed about two coaches ago. We're stuck with it. Just have to deal. I'm serious, they can't be fired. The long term dmg to this team will be irreparable for at least a decade if not more. We'll see a procession of division 2 coaches wanting to sniff the bigs so they can go back and land a D1 job. That's not hyperbole or exaggeration.
-
Like I've been saying, the fire the coach ship sailed about two coaches ago. We're stuck with it. Just have to deal. I'm serious, they can't be fired. The long term dmg to this team will be irreparable for at least a decade if not more. We'll see a procession of division 2 coaches wanting to sniff the bigs so they can go back and land a D1 job. That's not hyperbole or exaggeration.
Like I've been saying, the fire the coach ship sailed about two coaches ago. We're stuck with it. Just have to deal. I'm serious, they can't be fired. The long term dmg to this team will be irreparable for at least a decade if not more. We'll see a procession of division 2 coaches wanting to sniff the bigs so they can go back and land a D1 job. That's not hyperbole or exaggeration.
Well, if the defense situation doesn't turn around quick I would say it's a pretty safe bet O'Neil will be shown the door at years end. Pettine's safe though.
-
Like I've been saying, the fire the coach ship sailed about two coaches ago. We're stuck with it. Just have to deal. I'm serious, they can't be fired. The long term dmg to this team will be irreparable for at least a decade if not more. We'll see a procession of division 2 coaches wanting to sniff the bigs so they can go back and land a D1 job. That's not hyperbole or exaggeration.
Well, if the defense situation doesn't turn around quick I would say it's a pretty safe bet O'Neil will be shown the door at years end. Pettine's safe though.
-
but if it's Pettine's D what'll be the diff?
Well you could say if Pettine was in charge of play calling and player rotations/position then maybe things would be different. I think our problems are (almost) entirely correctable but they seem to just keep getting worse.
-
The analogy is to Jimmy Graham.. Anyone who drafted him for fantasy is disappointed -- because the OC in Seattle does not put him in position to "succeed" [via catches/TD's] as he can.
In NO in 2014, Graham lined up as a in-line TE only 30% of the time. In Seattle, it's near 80%.
Jimmy Graham doesn't suck.. he's just not a blocking TE.
Kruger is not a cover LB. Mingo does not set the edge. etc.
-
The analogy is to Jimmy Graham.. Anyone who drafted him for fantasy is disappointed -- because the OC in Seattle does not put him in position to "succeed" [via catches/TD's] as he can.
In NO in 2014, Graham lined up as a in-line TE only 30% of the time. In Seattle, it's near 80%.
Jimmy Graham doesn't suck.. he's just not a blocking TE.
Kruger is not a cover LB. Mingo does not set the edge. etc.
The analogy is to Jimmy Graham.. Anyone who drafted him for fantasy is disappointed -- because the OC in Seattle does not put him in position to "succeed" [via catches/TD's] as he can.
In NO in 2014, Graham lined up as a in-line TE only 30% of the time. In Seattle, it's near 80%.
Jimmy Graham doesn't suck.. he's just not a blocking TE.
Kruger is not a cover LB. Mingo does not set the edge. etc.
I have him on my fantasy and it's been pretty depressing.
You have to be a total idiot of a coach if you can't figure out how to utilize Graham's size, athletic ability.
-
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/10/browns_jim_oneil_defends_schem.html#incart_river
Jim O'Neil blames execution, not scheme for the worst defense in the NFL.
Sorry Jim, but you have a decent defense and made them worse than they've been for a pretty long time.
-
To a degree he's right, but what I've been saying is that they don't have the talent to execute this scheme. Why the staff doesn't understand that I have no idea. They don't have the personnel to run the things they want to, so you don't run what you were doing in Buffalo because there you had some legit all world athletes. I think we may have a better secondary then them, but on the front 7 they have minimum 3 guys that not only do we not have, it's debateable whether we've ever had that kind of talent in team history.
-
To a degree he's right, but what I've been saying is that they don't have the talent to execute this scheme. Why the staff doesn't understand that I have no idea. They don't have the personnel to run the things they want to, so you don't run what you were doing in Buffalo because there you had some legit all world athletes. I think we may have a better secondary then them, but on the front 7 they have minimum 3 guys that not only do we not have, it's debateable whether we've ever had that kind of talent in team history.
To a degree he's right, but what I've been saying is that they don't have the talent to execute this scheme. Why the staff doesn't understand that I have no idea. They don't have the personnel to run the things they want to, so you don't run what you were doing in Buffalo because there you had some legit all world athletes. I think we may have a better secondary then them, but on the front 7 they have minimum 3 guys that not only do we not have, it's debateable whether we've ever had that kind of talent in team history.
An NFL coach should be able to recognize this and modify scheme based on the personnel he has. Everybody should play where they're most effective.
We don't have that now, which is why O'Neil is under fire. His unwillingness to change things that aren't working or change player assignments is cause for concern.
-
To a degree he's right, but what I've been saying is that they don't have the talent to execute this scheme. Why the staff doesn't understand that I have no idea. They don't have the personnel to run the things they want to, so you don't run what you were doing in Buffalo because there you had some legit all world athletes. I think we may have a better secondary then them, but on the front 7 they have minimum 3 guys that not only do we not have, it's debateable whether we've ever had that kind of talent in team history.
An NFL coach should be able to recognize this and modify scheme based on the personnel he has. Everybody should play where they're most effective.
We don't have that now, which is why O'Neil is under fire. His unwillingness to change things that aren't working or change player assignments is cause for concern.
An NFL coach should be able to recognize this and modify scheme based on the personnel he has. Everybody should play where they're most effective.
We don't have that now, which is why O'Neil is under fire. His unwillingness to change things that aren't working or change player assignments is cause for concern.
I 100% agree. Maybe they thought they could do some of the same things they did in Buffalo but woefully over estimated the talent here.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login