Skip to content

Faxing and Website - Cysko? Anybody?

Barber Shop Talk
9 3 506
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #1

    So, I have all this farm work to do, and my Wifie and a best friend - the gals started a real

    business - house flipping.

    It was a ton of work, but a lot of fun the other time, but now they are going pro.

    I have to design a web site for them - we'll see how that goes. I bought an easy to use

    software - Webeasy 10. Too many choices of color and format...

    And, they want to be able to send out faxes. So, Hp chat guy told me I had to

    install a second complete phone line to fax in or out. That sounded like baloney,

    so I called ATT. That gal said that same thing.

    So, I figure that bs, so went to the ATT store to buy a phone line splitter and a dsl in line

    filter. But they don't carry those- said to go to Walmart. So, I did.

    Turned out, that I couldn't get online with the filter, so I took it out. But, I couldn't fax.

    So, I called em, and the guy says I have to have a second phone line installed to our home.

    And, I say "no thanks", and got on ATT support via chat, instead of HP. He said to try plugging the fax

    line directly into the wall, bypassing the splitter. FAXED FINE. Except, this room only has one

    phone outlet.

    So, I can fax now. And an ATT tech support guy, said all I needed to do, is to junk that junk

    Walmart ge cheapo splitter, and go buy one from a hardware store.

    So, I did, It is an RCA, but looks just like the other one. So, we were busy all day,

    and I just tried it. It won't fax out, and it kicked my Wifie off the internet on the other computer.

    So, I guess if they really HAVE TO FAX, I upplug the internet line, and plug in the the fax phone line

    and we can fax ! Then, I just have to unplug that, and plug the internet phone line in.

    and..... reboot both computers. And the phone plug is behind a series of bookcases, and I tried

    to reach down to unplug it earlier today, and the books fell out and tried to break my foot.

    dammit. Stupid )(U&_(*{_)+)U*_)*( "splitter").

    I guess it's a voice line or something that splitters don't do. Data lines, fine. dammit.

    So, I call ATT. That guy explains that all I need is a multi-ring function, small cost, from
    ATT on our system to differentiate between a fax call, and a phone call with different rings,

    and a fake working phone number designated as fax only.

    So, I call customer support, and they say they don't offer that service anymore, but the old

    purchases of the multi-ring thing are still supported.

    DAMMIT.

    DAMMIT. I'm just going to have them go out and fax from a small print shop or something...

    dammit. 😡

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #2

    Did you try a dsl filter? You generally need one for telephone operations (like an alarm system) for instance on a phone line that uses dsl. You'll put it between the fax machine and the jack.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #3

    You should be able to get one cheap. If you can't find one for a cheap price pm me and I'll send you one when I get home from vacation in two weeks

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I did buy one, but then I couldn't get on the internet. That was very strange....

    but it's true.

    stupid chinese stuff. what a clusterfook of trying to do something I thought would be easy !

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #5
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I'm so po'd. lol. Tomorrow, I'm going to run the basement phone line up through the upstairs floor, into

    the computer room.

    I also heard from HP tech that we have to call ATT and have them cancel the voice mail function, and

    maybe turn off the phone answering machine in the other room.

    dammit. I will figure it out though. At this point, it's easier to disc our fields, and cut up and split

    42 trees over at the neighbor's farm along the creek/ditch.

    Still have to dig up two more 10 yd long rows of potatoes. and plant hay, and winter wheat and groundcover...

    and clean and repack the barn with equipment for winter...

    and clean the garage so I can finally start parking in it again. .......dammit.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #7

    If you are able to get dsl you don't live on a farm-y enough farm. I can't even get dsl. I can only have dial up, Hughes net or (what I have) Verizon LTE

  • If you are able to get dsl you don't live on a farm-y enough farm. I can't even get dsl. I can only have dial up, Hughes net or (what I have) Verizon LTE

    S sadbrownsfan wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    If you are able to get dsl you don't live on a farm-y enough farm. I can't even get dsl. I can only have dial up, Hughes net or (what I have) Verizon LTE

    Yeah, my parents have to have Hughes net(its horrible) since they moved to southern ohio.

    Cal I can yell at the HP people I work with for ya(he is an a$$ anyways) also you may want to look into something like this for the future- http://www.howtogeek.com/168841/how-to-send-and-receive-faxes-online-without-a-fax-machine-or-phone-line/ since depending on usage fax machines usually need to take up a second line.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Interesting stuff. I finally just unplugged the ethernet/wireless modem connection from

    the phone jack on the wall, and bought a long 25' phone cord, plugged it into

    the wall jack and straight to the back of the printer, and...

    I faxed to our dr.s office again, and it worked. I believe you have to have a second line to receive

    em, but I don't see that as a problem.

    Then, I faxed the important fax to Nevada, and it wouldn't work. Kept saying I needed to include the

    access code. I'm like, wtf is an "access code". ??? I including the "1" for long distance, but it wouldn't take it.

    So, I set the fax software up to auto-include the "1" for long distance... still wouldn't work.

    So, I call ATT tech support again, same guy, and he says he wishes he could help me know

    why the splitter won't allow the printer to fax.... and I tell him about the annoying refusal of the access code ("1").

    He thinks about it and says "eh... you all use your home phone only for the internet, right?"

    I say "yeah".....

    and he asks if we have our long distance capability disabled.

    "dammit. that's what it is, alright. I remember that..."

    So, then I faxed this 20 page fax to Nevada, and all was well.

    Except for the two phone line splitters. They are in great danger

    of me taking them out to the field, and having me run over them several

    times with the tractor and disc.......