Skip to content

RRHOF Nominees

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
48 9 1.9k
  • The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.

    Dan Fouts IS a Hall of Famer, ergo, I guess you think Deep Purple must go in. So, it seems you convinced yourself... 😮

  • Here are what RIAA or Billboard says are the 50 or so best selling musicalacts of All time.

    Any act not color coded is in the HOF. I am going to color code those who are not in as follows:

    Blue: apparently not consider "Rock n Roll" enough to be considered

    Red: These are apparently considered C&W acts....not R&R acts

    Green: Not yet eligible

    Brownish: eligible but apparently not considered worthy....yet

    The Beatles

    Elvis

    Michael Jackson

    Madonna

    Elton John

    Led Zeppelin

    Pink Floyd

    Mariah Carey or Mariah Carey 2015 is her first year eligible...but she did not make the final list

    Celine Dion or Celine Dion..same here, 2015 first year eligible...not on final list

    ACDC

    Whitney Houston or Whitney Houston. Eligible since 2009

    Queen

    The Rolling Stones

    ABBA

    Rihanna....not eligible until 2027

    Taylor Swift...not eligible until 2031

    Eminem...not eligible until 2021

    Garth Brooks

    The Eagles

    U2

    Billy Joel

    Phil Collins...in as a member of Genesis, but not on his own

    Aerosmith

    Frank Sinatra

    Barbara Streisand

    Genesis

    Neil Diamond

    Kanye West not eligible until 2028

    Bruce Springsteen

    The Bee Gees

    Julio Iglesias

    Dire Straits...they have been eligible since 2003

    George Strait

    Metallica

    Van Halen

    Kenny Rogers

    Fleetwood Mac

    Kenny G

    Shania Twain

    Journey...beginning in 1970s...been eligible a long time

    Alabama

    2 Pac Shakur...he will become eligible next year.

    Reba McIntyre

    Prince

    Simon & Garfunkel

    Chicago....long eligible, one of this year's finalists....many think they will make it

    Rod Stewart

    Foreigner....long eligible. Not likely to make it

    Tim McGraw

    Bob Dylan

    The Backstreet Boys....if the Monkees can't make it, these guys never should when eligible in 2020

    Britney Spears....not likely when she becomes eligible.

    Def Leppard

    Willie Nelson

  • I guess I was thinking of another post you made. Still I don't get the love for deep purple. The two hits they do have aren't all that good. The norm snead of rock then.

  • Dire straits would be a better choice in my opinion than deep purple by a mile.

  • First time eligibles coming up:

    2016: 2 Pac, Pearl Jam, The Cranberries

    2017: Beck, Radiohead, Dr. Dre, Hootie and the Blowfish, Insane Clown Posse, Mary J. Blige, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots

    2018: Blink 182, Coolio, Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band, Liz Phair, Kenny Chesney, Cheryl Crow

    2019: Bone/Thugs and Harmony, Fugees, Jeff Buckley, Marilyn Manson, Notorious B.I.G., Oasis, Outkast

    2020: Backstreet Boys, Foo Fighters, Garbage, Jay-Z, Jewell, Mushroomhead, 3-6 Mafia, The Presidents of the United States of America

    Those of you are more familiar than I can pipe in with your opinions on who amongst these groups warrant inclusion.

  • I guess I was thinking of another post you made. Still I don't get the love for deep purple. The two hits they do have aren't all that good. The norm snead of rock then.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I guess I was thinking of another post you made. Still I don't get the love for deep purple. The two hits they do have aren't all that good. The norm snead of rock then.

    If hit songs were the total measure, then the Grateful Dead and a number of others who are in would not be there. They would just rotely put in the best selling acts.

    Is that what you want?

    I felt the same way you do about Rush....yet they are in. I would take DP over Rush.

  • Dire straits would be a better choice in my opinion than deep purple by a mile.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Dire straits would be a better choice in my opinion than deep purple by a mile.

    And I like Dire Straits better as well. I might agree with you....slightly.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    I guess I was thinking of another post you made. Still I don't get the love for deep purple. The two hits they do have aren't all that good. The norm snead of rock then.

    If hit songs were the total measure, then the Grateful Dead and a number of others who are in would not be there. They would just rotely put in the best selling acts.

    Is that what you want?

    I felt the same way you do about Rush....yet they are in. I would take DP over Rush.

    @the-gipper said:

    If hit songs were the total measure, then the Grateful Dead and a number of others who are in would not be there. They would just rotely put in the best selling acts.

    Is that what you want?

    I felt the same way you do about Rush....yet they are in. I would take DP over Rush.

    Ok. What is your criteria for hall of fame. One would be success in which steve miller puts deep purple to shame.

    Another would be enduring legacy in which the grateful dead puts deep purple to shame. The point is deep purple had a couple of modest hits no more. They're definitely not drawing people to festivals and spawning an empire of merchandise like the grateful dead is still doing.

  • And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

    Petula Clark

    Link Wray

    Chubby Checker

    Carol King

    Joan Baez

    Peter Paul and Mary

    Jan and Dean

    Paul Revere and the Raiders

    Dick Dale

    Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

    Dion Warwick

    Gerry and the Pacemakers

    The Moody Blues

    Golden Earring

    Gary Lewis and the Playboys

    The Guess Who

    Herman's Hermits

    Patsy Cline

    Sonny and Cher

    The Turtles

    The Spencer Davis Group

    Jim Croce

    The Monkees

    Tommy James and the Shondell

    Arlo Guthrie

    The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

    Harry Nilsson

    The Move

    Procul Harum

    Blood, Sweat and Tears

    Iron Butterfly

    Jethro Tull

    Steppenwolf

    Quicksilver Messenger Service

    The Carpenters

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Joe Cocker

    John Denver

    Johnny Winter

    Meatloaf

    Mott the Hoople

    Slade

    Three Dog Night

    Warren Zevon

    Argent

    Badfinger

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    J. Geils Band

    Jimmy Buffett

    Todd Rundgren

    Uriah Heep

    Carly Simon

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Little Feat

    Thin Lizzy

    Wings

    10cc

    Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

    Loggins and Messina

    Peter Frampton

    Roxy Music

    Bachman Turner Overdrive

    Barry Manilow

    Barry White

    The NY Dolls

    Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

    Bad Company

    Judas Priest

    Kansas

    Journey

    Ted Nugent

    Boston

    Luther Vandros

    Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

    Devo

    Eddie Money

    Toto

    The B-52s

    Def Leppard

    Iron Maiden

    Pat Benatarr

    Huey Lewis and the News

    INXS

    Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)

    Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

  • @the-gipper said:

    If hit songs were the total measure, then the Grateful Dead and a number of others who are in would not be there. They would just rotely put in the best selling acts.

    Is that what you want?

    I felt the same way you do about Rush....yet they are in. I would take DP over Rush.

    Ok. What is your criteria for hall of fame. One would be success in which steve miller puts deep purple to shame.

    Another would be enduring legacy in which the grateful dead puts deep purple to shame. The point is deep purple had a couple of modest hits no more. They're definitely not drawing people to festivals and spawning an empire of merchandise like the grateful dead is still doing.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Ok. What is your criteria for hall of fame. One would be success in which steve miller puts deep purple to shame.

    Another would be enduring legacy in which the grateful dead puts deep purple to shame. The point is deep purple had a couple of modest hits no more. They're definitely not drawing people to festivals and spawning an empire of merchandise like the grateful dead is still doing.

    My criteria is whatever the hell it is that I personally like. I don't know that you can say there is any criteria. And I think that you are under the misimpression that I am all heavily in favor of DP getting in. I am not. I am only saying that amongst the acts that are finalists, they could deserve as much as any, I suppose. But there are a ton of other acts that I would rather see in....but they are not being considered.

  • And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

    Petula Clark

    Link Wray

    Chubby Checker

    Carol King

    Joan Baez

    Peter Paul and Mary

    Jan and Dean

    Paul Revere and the Raiders

    Dick Dale

    Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

    Dion Warwick

    Gerry and the Pacemakers

    The Moody Blues

    Golden Earring

    Gary Lewis and the Playboys

    The Guess Who

    Herman's Hermits

    Patsy Cline

    Sonny and Cher

    The Turtles

    The Spencer Davis Group

    Jim Croce

    The Monkees

    Tommy James and the Shondell

    Arlo Guthrie

    The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

    Harry Nilsson

    The Move

    Procul Harum

    Blood, Sweat and Tears

    Iron Butterfly

    Jethro Tull

    Steppenwolf

    Quicksilver Messenger Service

    The Carpenters

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Joe Cocker

    John Denver

    Johnny Winter

    Meatloaf

    Mott the Hoople

    Slade

    Three Dog Night

    Warren Zevon

    Argent

    Badfinger

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    J. Geils Band

    Jimmy Buffett

    Todd Rundgren

    Uriah Heep

    Carly Simon

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Little Feat

    Thin Lizzy

    Wings

    10cc

    Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

    Loggins and Messina

    Peter Frampton

    Roxy Music

    Bachman Turner Overdrive

    Barry Manilow

    Barry White

    The NY Dolls

    Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

    Bad Company

    Judas Priest

    Kansas

    Journey

    Ted Nugent

    Boston

    Luther Vandros

    Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

    Devo

    Eddie Money

    Toto

    The B-52s

    Def Leppard

    Iron Maiden

    Pat Benatarr

    Huey Lewis and the News

    INXS

    Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)

    Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

    @the-gipper said:

    And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

    Petula Clark

    Link Wray

    Chubby Checker

    Carol King

    Joan Baez

    Peter Paul and Mary

    Jan and Dean

    Paul Revere and the Raiders

    Dick Dale

    Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

    Dion Warwick

    Gerry and the Pacemakers

    The Moody Blues

    Golden Earring

    Gary Lewis and the Playboys

    The Guess Who

    Herman's Hermits

    Patsy Cline

    Sonny and Cher

    The Turtles

    The Spencer Davis Group

    Jim Croce

    The Monkees

    Tommy James and the Shondell

    Arlo Guthrie

    The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

    Harry Nilsson

    The Move

    Procul Harum

    Blood, Sweat and Tears

    Iron Butterfly

    Jethro Tull

    Steppenwolf

    Quicksilver Messenger Service

    The Carpenters

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Joe Cocker

    John Denver

    Johnny Winter

    Meatloaf

    Mott the Hoople

    Slade

    Three Dog Night

    Warren Zevon

    Argent

    Badfinger

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    J. Geils Band

    Jimmy Buffett

    Todd Rundgren

    Uriah Heep

    Carly Simon

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Little Feat

    Thin Lizzy

    Wings

    10cc

    Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

    Loggins and Messina

    Peter Frampton

    Roxy Music

    Bachman Turner Overdrive

    Barry Manilow

    Barry White

    The NY Dolls

    Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

    Bad Company

    Judas Priest

    Kansas

    Journey

    Ted Nugent

    Boston

    Luther Vandros

    Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

    Devo

    Eddie Money

    Toto

    The B-52s

    Def Leppard

    Iron Maiden

    Pat Benatarr

    Huey Lewis and the News

    INXS

    Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)

    Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

    I would induct none of these. This is special exhibit fare.

  • I also think Dire Straits is better. They have some really good tunes.

  • Considering the people who are already in I would say almost every member of that list are worthy of induction.

    And it's a pretty gray area what is defined as rock and roll.

    WSS

  • Considering the people who are already in I would say almost every member of that list are worthy of induction.

    And it's a pretty gray area what is defined as rock and roll.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Considering the people who are already in I would say almost every member of that list are worthy of induction.

    And it's a pretty gray area what is defined as rock and roll.

    WSS

    Well, it is pretty clear that they don't think that certain well selling female singers are to get in: Streisand, Whitney, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Carol King.

    But, they put Johnny Cash in but not Frank Sinatra.

    There are a few seemingly country guys in....but most are not.

    So....as we said....there is no criteria.

  • @the-gipper said:

    And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

    Petula Clark

    Link Wray

    Chubby Checker

    Carol King

    Joan Baez

    Peter Paul and Mary

    Jan and Dean

    Paul Revere and the Raiders

    Dick Dale

    Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

    Dion Warwick

    Gerry and the Pacemakers

    The Moody Blues

    Golden Earring

    Gary Lewis and the Playboys

    The Guess Who

    Herman's Hermits

    Patsy Cline

    Sonny and Cher

    The Turtles

    The Spencer Davis Group

    Jim Croce

    The Monkees

    Tommy James and the Shondell

    Arlo Guthrie

    The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

    Harry Nilsson

    The Move

    Procul Harum

    Blood, Sweat and Tears

    Iron Butterfly

    Jethro Tull

    Steppenwolf

    Quicksilver Messenger Service

    The Carpenters

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Joe Cocker

    John Denver

    Johnny Winter

    Meatloaf

    Mott the Hoople

    Slade

    Three Dog Night

    Warren Zevon

    Argent

    Badfinger

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    J. Geils Band

    Jimmy Buffett

    Todd Rundgren

    Uriah Heep

    Carly Simon

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Little Feat

    Thin Lizzy

    Wings

    10cc

    Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

    Loggins and Messina

    Peter Frampton

    Roxy Music

    Bachman Turner Overdrive

    Barry Manilow

    Barry White

    The NY Dolls

    Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

    Bad Company

    Judas Priest

    Kansas

    Journey

    Ted Nugent

    Boston

    Luther Vandros

    Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

    Devo

    Eddie Money

    Toto

    The B-52s

    Def Leppard

    Iron Maiden

    Pat Benatarr

    Huey Lewis and the News

    INXS

    Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)

    Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

    I would induct none of these. This is special exhibit fare.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I would induct none of these. This is special exhibit fare.

    No, there are some that I personally think should go in.

    But its like: if they let X in, they should let Y in.....because Y is as good as X and maybe even sold more records.

    So, no there is no criteria.

  • The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.

    Deep Purple? Meh... "Smoke..." was cool for about 10 listenings. "Hush" was earlier and better.

    The Cars simply have not endured.

    Chicago, I could see getting in. In the beginning they brought a revolutionary return of horns to rock... along with Blood, Sweet and Tears. Plus Chicago headlined the first concert I ever saw... Blues Image opened.

    Miller's early, blues-based stuff... while Boz Scaggs was with the band was great. I love their LP "Sailor" which includes my all-time SMB track, Livin' In the USA. Enough to get them in? Maybe... but there was a lot of schlock that followed.

    Funny thing is when Steve wanted to turn "more commercial" with "The Joker" type stuff, Boz left only to ultimately go more commercial with "Silk Degrees". But before he did he did he put out a four good to very good, blues-based LPs kicked off by his best, IMO, Boz. It was recorded at Atlantic's, legendary Muscle Shoals studio with many of its session players in attendance. It includes a breathtaking 12-1/2 minute jam of "Loan Me a Dime" that includes Duane Allman.

  • The cars have nor endured? I beg to differ. Listen to any classic rock radio station in the country and you will hear no less than five cars songs a day. That's enduring.

  • The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.

    Machine Head & Burn are 2 fantastic albums. Ritchie Blackmore is one of the best lead guitar guys ever. Like a few have mentioned, there doesn't seem to be consistent criteria for induction, but I can't understand why true "rock & roll" bands have to wait, and other acts that aren't "rock & roll" get in, like Joni Mitchell, Madonna for instance.

    FWIW-Deep Purple & Golden Earring was the first rock concert at the Richfield Coliseum, I was there, it was awesome.

  • And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

    Petula Clark

    Link Wray

    Chubby Checker

    Carol King

    Joan Baez

    Peter Paul and Mary

    Jan and Dean

    Paul Revere and the Raiders

    Dick Dale

    Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

    Dion Warwick

    Gerry and the Pacemakers

    The Moody Blues

    Golden Earring

    Gary Lewis and the Playboys

    The Guess Who

    Herman's Hermits

    Patsy Cline

    Sonny and Cher

    The Turtles

    The Spencer Davis Group

    Jim Croce

    The Monkees

    Tommy James and the Shondell

    Arlo Guthrie

    The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

    Harry Nilsson

    The Move

    Procul Harum

    Blood, Sweat and Tears

    Iron Butterfly

    Jethro Tull

    Steppenwolf

    Quicksilver Messenger Service

    The Carpenters

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Joe Cocker

    John Denver

    Johnny Winter

    Meatloaf

    Mott the Hoople

    Slade

    Three Dog Night

    Warren Zevon

    Argent

    Badfinger

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    J. Geils Band

    Jimmy Buffett

    Todd Rundgren

    Uriah Heep

    Carly Simon

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Little Feat

    Thin Lizzy

    Wings

    10cc

    Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

    Loggins and Messina

    Peter Frampton

    Roxy Music

    Bachman Turner Overdrive

    Barry Manilow

    Barry White

    The NY Dolls

    Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

    Bad Company

    Judas Priest

    Kansas

    Journey

    Ted Nugent

    Boston

    Luther Vandros

    Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

    Devo

    Eddie Money

    Toto

    The B-52s

    Def Leppard

    Iron Maiden

    Pat Benatarr

    Huey Lewis and the News

    INXS

    Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)

    Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

    @the-gipper said:

    And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:

    Petula Clark

    Link Wray

    Chubby Checker

    Carol King

    Joan Baez

    Peter Paul and Mary

    Jan and Dean

    Paul Revere and the Raiders

    Dick Dale

    Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

    Dion Warwick

    Gerry and the Pacemakers

    The Moody Blues

    Golden Earring

    Gary Lewis and the Playboys

    The Guess Who

    Herman's Hermits

    Patsy Cline

    Sonny and Cher

    The Turtles

    The Spencer Davis Group

    Jim Croce

    The Monkees

    Tommy James and the Shondell

    Arlo Guthrie

    The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

    Harry Nilsson

    The Move

    Procul Harum

    Blood, Sweat and Tears

    Iron Butterfly

    Jethro Tull

    Steppenwolf

    Quicksilver Messenger Service

    The Carpenters

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Joe Cocker

    John Denver

    Johnny Winter

    Meatloaf

    Mott the Hoople

    Slade

    Three Dog Night

    Warren Zevon

    Argent

    Badfinger

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    J. Geils Band

    Jimmy Buffett

    Todd Rundgren

    Uriah Heep

    Carly Simon

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Little Feat

    Thin Lizzy

    Wings

    10cc

    Joe Walsh...or the James Gang

    Loggins and Messina

    Peter Frampton

    Roxy Music

    Bachman Turner Overdrive

    Barry Manilow

    Barry White

    The NY Dolls

    Tina Turner (already in with Ike)

    Bad Company

    Judas Priest

    Kansas

    Journey

    Ted Nugent

    Boston

    Luther Vandros

    Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

    Devo

    Eddie Money

    Toto

    The B-52s

    Def Leppard

    Iron Maiden

    Pat Benatarr

    Huey Lewis and the News

    INXS

    Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)...my personal favorite, but I never loved Ozzy's solo stuff

    Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.

  • my wife and I saw a Kansas concert last Sunday and (like Rush)

    they play it live like they were in the studio.

    http://kansasband.com/

    longevity should be a HOF mark of distinction