RRHOF Nominees
-
If hit songs were the total measure, then the Grateful Dead and a number of others who are in would not be there. They would just rotely put in the best selling acts.
Is that what you want?
I felt the same way you do about Rush....yet they are in. I would take DP over Rush.
Ok. What is your criteria for hall of fame. One would be success in which steve miller puts deep purple to shame.
Another would be enduring legacy in which the grateful dead puts deep purple to shame. The point is deep purple had a couple of modest hits no more. They're definitely not drawing people to festivals and spawning an empire of merchandise like the grateful dead is still doing.
Ok. What is your criteria for hall of fame. One would be success in which steve miller puts deep purple to shame.
Another would be enduring legacy in which the grateful dead puts deep purple to shame. The point is deep purple had a couple of modest hits no more. They're definitely not drawing people to festivals and spawning an empire of merchandise like the grateful dead is still doing.
My criteria is whatever the hell it is that I personally like. I don't know that you can say there is any criteria. And I think that you are under the misimpression that I am all heavily in favor of DP getting in. I am not. I am only saying that amongst the acts that are finalists, they could deserve as much as any, I suppose. But there are a ton of other acts that I would rather see in....but they are not being considered.
-
And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:
Petula Clark
Link Wray
Chubby Checker
Carol King
Joan Baez
Peter Paul and Mary
Jan and Dean
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Dick Dale
Sam the Sham and the Pharohs
Dion Warwick
Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Moody Blues
Golden Earring
Gary Lewis and the Playboys
The Guess Who
Herman's Hermits
Patsy Cline
Sonny and Cher
The Turtles
The Spencer Davis Group
Jim Croce
The Monkees
Tommy James and the Shondell
Arlo Guthrie
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Harry Nilsson
The Move
Procul Harum
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Iron Butterfly
Jethro Tull
Steppenwolf
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Carpenters
Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker
John Denver
Johnny Winter
Meatloaf
Mott the Hoople
Slade
Three Dog Night
Warren Zevon
Argent
Badfinger
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
J. Geils Band
Jimmy Buffett
Todd Rundgren
Uriah Heep
Carly Simon
The Doobie Brothers
Electric Light Orchestra
Little Feat
Thin Lizzy
Wings
10cc
Joe Walsh...or the James Gang
Loggins and Messina
Peter Frampton
Roxy Music
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Barry Manilow
Barry White
The NY Dolls
Tina Turner (already in with Ike)
Bad Company
Judas Priest
Kansas
Journey
Ted Nugent
Boston
Luther Vandros
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Devo
Eddie Money
Toto
The B-52s
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Pat Benatarr
Huey Lewis and the News
INXS
Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)
Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.
And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:
Petula Clark
Link Wray
Chubby Checker
Carol King
Joan Baez
Peter Paul and Mary
Jan and Dean
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Dick Dale
Sam the Sham and the Pharohs
Dion Warwick
Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Moody Blues
Golden Earring
Gary Lewis and the Playboys
The Guess Who
Herman's Hermits
Patsy Cline
Sonny and Cher
The Turtles
The Spencer Davis Group
Jim Croce
The Monkees
Tommy James and the Shondell
Arlo Guthrie
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Harry Nilsson
The Move
Procul Harum
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Iron Butterfly
Jethro Tull
Steppenwolf
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Carpenters
Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker
John Denver
Johnny Winter
Meatloaf
Mott the Hoople
Slade
Three Dog Night
Warren Zevon
Argent
Badfinger
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
J. Geils Band
Jimmy Buffett
Todd Rundgren
Uriah Heep
Carly Simon
The Doobie Brothers
Electric Light Orchestra
Little Feat
Thin Lizzy
Wings
10cc
Joe Walsh...or the James Gang
Loggins and Messina
Peter Frampton
Roxy Music
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Barry Manilow
Barry White
The NY Dolls
Tina Turner (already in with Ike)
Bad Company
Judas Priest
Kansas
Journey
Ted Nugent
Boston
Luther Vandros
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Devo
Eddie Money
Toto
The B-52s
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Pat Benatarr
Huey Lewis and the News
INXS
Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)
Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.
I would induct none of these. This is special exhibit fare.
-
I also think Dire Straits is better. They have some really good tunes.
-
Considering the people who are already in I would say almost every member of that list are worthy of induction.
And it's a pretty gray area what is defined as rock and roll.
WSS
-
Considering the people who are already in I would say almost every member of that list are worthy of induction.
And it's a pretty gray area what is defined as rock and roll.
WSS
Considering the people who are already in I would say almost every member of that list are worthy of induction.
And it's a pretty gray area what is defined as rock and roll.
WSS
Well, it is pretty clear that they don't think that certain well selling female singers are to get in: Streisand, Whitney, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Carol King.
But, they put Johnny Cash in but not Frank Sinatra.
There are a few seemingly country guys in....but most are not.
So....as we said....there is no criteria.
-
And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:
Petula Clark
Link Wray
Chubby Checker
Carol King
Joan Baez
Peter Paul and Mary
Jan and Dean
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Dick Dale
Sam the Sham and the Pharohs
Dion Warwick
Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Moody Blues
Golden Earring
Gary Lewis and the Playboys
The Guess Who
Herman's Hermits
Patsy Cline
Sonny and Cher
The Turtles
The Spencer Davis Group
Jim Croce
The Monkees
Tommy James and the Shondell
Arlo Guthrie
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Harry Nilsson
The Move
Procul Harum
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Iron Butterfly
Jethro Tull
Steppenwolf
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Carpenters
Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker
John Denver
Johnny Winter
Meatloaf
Mott the Hoople
Slade
Three Dog Night
Warren Zevon
Argent
Badfinger
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
J. Geils Band
Jimmy Buffett
Todd Rundgren
Uriah Heep
Carly Simon
The Doobie Brothers
Electric Light Orchestra
Little Feat
Thin Lizzy
Wings
10cc
Joe Walsh...or the James Gang
Loggins and Messina
Peter Frampton
Roxy Music
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Barry Manilow
Barry White
The NY Dolls
Tina Turner (already in with Ike)
Bad Company
Judas Priest
Kansas
Journey
Ted Nugent
Boston
Luther Vandros
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Devo
Eddie Money
Toto
The B-52s
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Pat Benatarr
Huey Lewis and the News
INXS
Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)
Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.
I would induct none of these. This is special exhibit fare.
I would induct none of these. This is special exhibit fare.
No, there are some that I personally think should go in.
But its like: if they let X in, they should let Y in.....because Y is as good as X and maybe even sold more records.
So, no there is no criteria.
-
The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.
The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.
Deep Purple? Meh... "Smoke..." was cool for about 10 listenings. "Hush" was earlier and better.
The Cars simply have not endured.
Chicago, I could see getting in. In the beginning they brought a revolutionary return of horns to rock... along with Blood, Sweet and Tears. Plus Chicago headlined the first concert I ever saw... Blues Image opened.
Miller's early, blues-based stuff... while Boz Scaggs was with the band was great. I love their LP "Sailor" which includes my all-time SMB track, Livin' In the USA. Enough to get them in? Maybe... but there was a lot of schlock that followed.
Funny thing is when Steve wanted to turn "more commercial" with "The Joker" type stuff, Boz left only to ultimately go more commercial with "Silk Degrees". But before he did he did he put out a four good to very good, blues-based LPs kicked off by his best, IMO, Boz. It was recorded at Atlantic's, legendary Muscle Shoals studio with many of its session players in attendance. It includes a breathtaking 12-1/2 minute jam of "Loan Me a Dime" that includes Duane Allman.
-
The cars have nor endured? I beg to differ. Listen to any classic rock radio station in the country and you will hear no less than five cars songs a day. That's enduring.
-
The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.
The cars, Steve miller and Chicago all have way more hits and radio airplay than deep purple. Deep purple is what Gipper would describe as "the Dan fouts of rock" nothing special. Post something that convinces me otherwise.
Machine Head & Burn are 2 fantastic albums. Ritchie Blackmore is one of the best lead guitar guys ever. Like a few have mentioned, there doesn't seem to be consistent criteria for induction, but I can't understand why true "rock & roll" bands have to wait, and other acts that aren't "rock & roll" get in, like Joni Mitchell, Madonna for instance.
FWIW-Deep Purple & Golden Earring was the first rock concert at the Richfield Coliseum, I was there, it was awesome.
-
And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:
Petula Clark
Link Wray
Chubby Checker
Carol King
Joan Baez
Peter Paul and Mary
Jan and Dean
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Dick Dale
Sam the Sham and the Pharohs
Dion Warwick
Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Moody Blues
Golden Earring
Gary Lewis and the Playboys
The Guess Who
Herman's Hermits
Patsy Cline
Sonny and Cher
The Turtles
The Spencer Davis Group
Jim Croce
The Monkees
Tommy James and the Shondell
Arlo Guthrie
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Harry Nilsson
The Move
Procul Harum
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Iron Butterfly
Jethro Tull
Steppenwolf
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Carpenters
Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker
John Denver
Johnny Winter
Meatloaf
Mott the Hoople
Slade
Three Dog Night
Warren Zevon
Argent
Badfinger
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
J. Geils Band
Jimmy Buffett
Todd Rundgren
Uriah Heep
Carly Simon
The Doobie Brothers
Electric Light Orchestra
Little Feat
Thin Lizzy
Wings
10cc
Joe Walsh...or the James Gang
Loggins and Messina
Peter Frampton
Roxy Music
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Barry Manilow
Barry White
The NY Dolls
Tina Turner (already in with Ike)
Bad Company
Judas Priest
Kansas
Journey
Ted Nugent
Boston
Luther Vandros
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Devo
Eddie Money
Toto
The B-52s
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Pat Benatarr
Huey Lewis and the News
INXS
Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)
Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.
And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:
Petula Clark
Link Wray
Chubby Checker
Carol King
Joan Baez
Peter Paul and Mary
Jan and Dean
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Dick Dale
Sam the Sham and the Pharohs
Dion Warwick
Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Moody Blues
Golden Earring
Gary Lewis and the Playboys
The Guess Who
Herman's Hermits
Patsy Cline
Sonny and Cher
The Turtles
The Spencer Davis Group
Jim Croce
The Monkees
Tommy James and the Shondell
Arlo Guthrie
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Harry Nilsson
The Move
Procul Harum
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Iron Butterfly
Jethro Tull
Steppenwolf
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Carpenters
Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker
John Denver
Johnny Winter
Meatloaf
Mott the Hoople
Slade
Three Dog Night
Warren Zevon
Argent
Badfinger
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
J. Geils Band
Jimmy Buffett
Todd Rundgren
Uriah Heep
Carly Simon
The Doobie Brothers
Electric Light Orchestra
Little Feat
Thin Lizzy
Wings
10cc
Joe Walsh...or the James Gang
Loggins and Messina
Peter Frampton
Roxy Music
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Barry Manilow
Barry White
The NY Dolls
Tina Turner (already in with Ike)
Bad Company
Judas Priest
Kansas
Journey
Ted Nugent
Boston
Luther Vandros
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Devo
Eddie Money
Toto
The B-52s
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Pat Benatarr
Huey Lewis and the News
INXS
Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)...my personal favorite, but I never loved Ozzy's solo stuff
Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.
-
my wife and I saw a Kansas concert last Sunday and (like Rush)
they play it live like they were in the studio.
longevity should be a HOF mark of distinction
-
>>Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.>>
FWIW, Gipper, Los Lobos is a KILLER band. No question about it. Also at the top of their game even though that definition goes higher and higher with each record.
Go see them - especially in a 'club' - and you will become a convert.
No question in my mind.
Awsome group of musicians.
No need to mention Santana and Los Lobos in the same sentence.
LOS LOBOS is worth whatever price of admission being charged.
-
>>Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.>>
FWIW, Gipper, Los Lobos is a KILLER band. No question about it. Also at the top of their game even though that definition goes higher and higher with each record.
Go see them - especially in a 'club' - and you will become a convert.
No question in my mind.
Awsome group of musicians.
No need to mention Santana and Los Lobos in the same sentence.
LOS LOBOS is worth whatever price of admission being charged.
>>Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.>>
FWIW, Gipper, Los Lobos is a KILLER band. No question about it. Also at the top of their game even though that definition goes higher and higher with each record.
Go see them - especially in a 'club' - and you will become a convert.
No question in my mind.
Awsome group of musicians.
No need to mention Santana and Los Lobos in the same sentence.
LOS LOBOS is worth whatever price of admission being charged.
I suspect that is true. All I am saying is that the general populace...including myself knows about them merely from their cover of La Bamba.
What else have they done that is generally noteworth?
-
>>Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.>>
FWIW, Gipper, Los Lobos is a KILLER band. No question about it. Also at the top of their game even though that definition goes higher and higher with each record.
Go see them - especially in a 'club' - and you will become a convert.
No question in my mind.
Awsome group of musicians.
No need to mention Santana and Los Lobos in the same sentence.
LOS LOBOS is worth whatever price of admission being charged.
I suspect that is true. All I am saying is that the general populace...including myself knows about them merely from their cover of La Bamba.
What else have they done that is generally noteworth?
I suspect that is true. All I am saying is that the general populace...including myself knows about them merely from their cover of La Bamba.
What else have they done that is generally noteworth?
Your question pertains to their music in the 'Billboard Top 100" or "Top Of The Pops" charts.
They do not get air play other than on College Radio Stations - the place where 'real' music is played these days.
My only point is you mentioned you are not familiar with them and, basically via Profiling, you linked them to Santana.
My recommendation is to go see them.
Whether they belong in the (mostly silly - IMHO) R&R HOF is another question all together.
To me being in the HOF isn't all that important.
-
I suspect that is true. All I am saying is that the general populace...including myself knows about them merely from their cover of La Bamba.
What else have they done that is generally noteworth?
Your question pertains to their music in the 'Billboard Top 100" or "Top Of The Pops" charts.
They do not get air play other than on College Radio Stations - the place where 'real' music is played these days.
My only point is you mentioned you are not familiar with them and, basically via Profiling, you linked them to Santana.
My recommendation is to go see them.
Whether they belong in the (mostly silly - IMHO) R&R HOF is another question all together.
To me being in the HOF isn't all that important.
Your question pertains to their music in the 'Billboard Top 100" or "Top Of The Pops" charts.
They do not get air play other than on College Radio Stations - the place where 'real' music is played these days.
My only point is you mentioned you are not familiar with them and, basically via Profiling, you linked them to Santana.
My recommendation is to go see them.
Whether they belong in the (mostly silly - IMHO) R&R HOF is another question all together.
To me being in the HOF isn't all that important.
Of course....since you say that taste is all that matters.....I might think they suck swamp water. I generally think that most Mexican/mariachi like music does.
-
Your question pertains to their music in the 'Billboard Top 100" or "Top Of The Pops" charts.
They do not get air play other than on College Radio Stations - the place where 'real' music is played these days.
My only point is you mentioned you are not familiar with them and, basically via Profiling, you linked them to Santana.
My recommendation is to go see them.
Whether they belong in the (mostly silly - IMHO) R&R HOF is another question all together.
To me being in the HOF isn't all that important.
Of course....since you say that taste is all that matters.....I might think they suck swamp water. I generally think that most Mexican/mariachi like music does.
Of course....since you say that taste is all that matters.....I might think they suck swamp water. I generally think that most Mexican/mariachi like music does.
Like I said, you are Racially Profiling.
No problem.. It IS all about personal taste. That's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla.
Obviously, you don't care. And I don't care that you don't care.
Seems like whenever somebody posts something you don't agree with, you start a pissing contest.
Sure you and Shep weren't separated at birth?
-
Of course....since you say that taste is all that matters.....I might think they suck swamp water. I generally think that most Mexican/mariachi like music does.
Like I said, you are Racially Profiling.
No problem.. It IS all about personal taste. That's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla.
Obviously, you don't care. And I don't care that you don't care.
Seems like whenever somebody posts something you don't agree with, you start a pissing contest.
Sure you and Shep weren't separated at birth?
Like I said, you are Racially Profiling.
No, I don't much like Country Western Music either.....does that mean I am racially profiling against a genre performed mainly by White guys?
No problem.. It IS all about personal taste. That's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla.
Obviously, you don't care. And I don't care that you don't care.
Seems like whenever somebody posts something you don't agree with, you start a pissing contest.
Sure you and Shep weren't separated at birth?
I don't know if I don't care about Los Lobos, because, as I have said....except for the one hit they had I don't know their stuff. And I said if you have something good of theirs to show us, do so.
And, sorry, you started a pissing contest where you were the only contestant.
-
I dunno fellas, I'll admit I haven't been to the R&R HOF since pre 2005.. Maybe it's changed.. When I was there, the top 2 floors of the 4 floor pyramid were dedicated to Hip Hop and Rap.. Now if you want to call the place the "Music HOF" then I have a lesser problem with that.. I understand why they did it.. Revenue streams always stand supreme.. I don't consider Rap or Hip Hop music.. They are an art form to be sure. But they are about as close to a Rock n Roll music sub genre as NASCAR Drivers, Golfers, Billiard Players, Bowlers, Darters or Lawn Jart players are to being athletes...
Steve Miller Band, I over looked.. They deserve consideration.. Borderline..
Still, at the end of the day, the R&R HOF is a politically biased joke.. Just rename it the Music HOF..
-
Here are the nominees for the next class of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, together with my comments about my personal feelings toward their election, Bold being who I would put in.
Chic......Disco sucks and I never even heard of them until someone said they were up for election to the RRHOF. WTF did they ever do that I would have heard of?
Deep Purple.....they were more than just Smoke on the Water. Probably deserves induction.
Nine Inch Nails.....if Green Day makes it, so should these guys.....who I see as being Green Day equivalency.....punkish sorts. Besides, Reznor is a Cleveland guy. Give it to the homie.
N.W.A......if you aren't even allowed to say what their initials stand for, then why do they deserve a spot? But I guess considering what they contributed to Hip Hop they would get in. I, not being a rap enthusiast will have to defer to others to tell me if they are that big in the genre. I just know they are one of the biggest names in that theater.
The Smiths.....again...Who? I mean, honestly, I don't know them from The Simpsons. (either the clan headed by OJ or the one headed by Homer). You could say The Jones and that would make as much sense.
The Spinners. Old School R&B. OK, cool.
Yes......Yes!
The Cars......you would think in concept that this would be a band that I would be behind. Straight, classic R&R band. But, I never really cared for them.....so I am ambivalent about their induction
Cheap Trick. I like them well enough....but they are sort of the Vinny Testaverde/Drew Bledsoe of Rock. They were good.....but not really the best of the best imo.
Chicago. OK, not my particular taste.....but I acknowledge that they had a unique and innovative style that I could not quite get my head around. Was it jazz, pop, rock, fusion. Whatever it was, it was just alright by me. (wait....that is a Doobie brothers line). Alright does not mean I am excited...just alright. But they are one of the most enduring....and commercial acts ever.
The JBs. Which is James Brown's backup band. If they go in in the category of "sidemen", I am OK with it. If The Crickets can go in, and Elvis's backup band, I guess they can too.
Chaka Khan. Always like her....and her name. She can go.
Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.
Steve Miller Band. This group, to me, is like baby Chicago. A number of hits (not as many as Chicago), a long career (not as long as Chicago).....But I still see them as the Norm Snead, Mark Brunell, Steve DeBerg of Rock. Solid, but not close to the best going.
Janet Jackson. Why do I feel that she got where she is just based on her last name and sibling relationships? I know she did some good stuff. But then Terry Bradshaw had a brother that played QB...that doesn't mean his brother is HOF. Or would you compare her more to Eli Manning?
Not sure how many they are going to let in. I am letting in 8. I may be more generous than the RRHOF voters.
And where is Jethro Tull?
Here are the nominees for the next class of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, together with my comments about my personal feelings toward their election, Bold being who I would put in.
Highlighted acts are the ones that got in yesterday:
Chic......Disco sucks and I never even heard of them until someone said they were up for election to the RRHOF. WTF did they ever do that I would have heard of?
Deep Purple.....they were more than just Smoke on the Water. Probably deserves induction.
Nine Inch Nails.....if Green Day makes it, so should these guys.....who I see as being Green Day equivalency.....punkish sorts. Besides, Reznor is a Cleveland guy. Give it to the homie.
N.W.A......if you aren't even allowed to say what their initials stand for, then why do they deserve a spot? But I guess considering what they contributed to Hip Hop they would get in. I, not being a rap enthusiast will have to defer to others to tell me if they are that big in the genre. I just know they are one of the biggest names in that theater.
The Smiths.....again...Who? I mean, honestly, I don't know them from The Simpsons. (either the clan headed by OJ or the one headed by Homer). You could say The Jones and that would make as much sense.
The Spinners. Old School R&B. OK, cool.
Yes......Yes!
The Cars......you would think in concept that this would be a band that I would be behind. Straight, classic R&R band. But, I never really cared for them.....so I am ambivalent about their induction
Cheap Trick. I like them well enough....but they are sort of the Vinny Testaverde/Drew Bledsoe of Rock. They were good.....but not really the best of the best imo.
Chicago. OK, not my particular taste.....but I acknowledge that they had a unique and innovative style that I could not quite get my head around. Was it jazz, pop, rock, fusion. Whatever it was, it was just alright by me. (wait....that is a Doobie brothers line). Alright does not mean I am excited...just alright. But they are one of the most enduring....and commercial acts ever.
The JBs. Which is James Brown's backup band. If they go in in the category of "sidemen", I am OK with it. If The Crickets can go in, and Elvis's backup band, I guess they can too.
Chaka Khan. Always like her....and her name. She can go.
Los Lobos. I am all for a few Latina bands going in if their stuff is original and innovative. Like Gloria Estafan. But, all I know these guys for is their cover of Rich Valens La Bamba. Now, perhaps that isn't fair...maybe they had a large Latina original sound I am not aware of, but my perception is that they are no Santana.
Steve Miller Band. This group, to me, is like baby Chicago. A number of hits (not as many as Chicago), a long career (not as long as Chicago).....But I still see them as the Norm Snead, Mark Brunell, Steve DeBerg of Rock. Solid, but not close to the best going.
Janet Jackson. Why do I feel that she got where she is just based on her last name and sibling relationships? I know she did some good stuff. But then Terry Bradshaw had a brother that played QB...that doesn't mean his brother is HOF. Or would you compare her more to Eli Manning?
Not sure how many they are going to let in. I am letting in 8. I may be more generous than the RRHOF voters.
And where is Jethro Tull?
-
And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:
Petula Clark
Link Wray
Chubby Checker
Carol King
Joan Baez
Peter Paul and Mary
Jan and Dean
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Dick Dale
Sam the Sham and the Pharohs
Dion Warwick
Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Moody Blues
Golden Earring
Gary Lewis and the Playboys
The Guess Who
Herman's Hermits
Patsy Cline
Sonny and Cher
The Turtles
The Spencer Davis Group
Jim Croce
The Monkees
Tommy James and the Shondell
Arlo Guthrie
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Harry Nilsson
The Move
Procul Harum
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Iron Butterfly
Jethro Tull
Steppenwolf
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Carpenters
Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker
John Denver
Johnny Winter
Meatloaf
Mott the Hoople
Slade
Three Dog Night
Warren Zevon
Argent
Badfinger
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
J. Geils Band
Jimmy Buffett
Todd Rundgren
Uriah Heep
Carly Simon
The Doobie Brothers
Electric Light Orchestra
Little Feat
Thin Lizzy
Wings
10cc
Joe Walsh...or the James Gang
Loggins and Messina
Peter Frampton
Roxy Music
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Barry Manilow
Barry White
The NY Dolls
Tina Turner (already in with Ike)
Bad Company
Judas Priest
Kansas
Journey
Ted Nugent
Boston
Luther Vandros
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Devo
Eddie Money
Toto
The B-52s
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Pat Benatarr
Huey Lewis and the News
INXS
Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)
Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.
And here is a fairly long list of acts that all came out before 1980 that have been "snubbed" by the RRHOF. What 10 or 12 among these do you think may warrant inclusion:
Petula Clark
Link Wray
Chubby Checker
Absolutely YES. Like him or not The Twist was an Iconic song/dance for early R&R Americana.
Carol King
Joan Baez
Peter Paul and Mary
Jan and Dean
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Dick Dale
Of course.
Sam the Sham and the Pharohs
Dion Warwick
Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Moody Blues
Golden Earring
Gary Lewis and the Playboys
The Guess Who
Probably Yes
Herman's Hermits
Patsy Cline
Given the definition of R&R for this HOF, she is a no brainer YES
Sonny and Cher
The Turtles
The Spencer Davis Group
Jim Croce
The Monkees
YES YES YES. TV show. Pop at its best/worse
Tommy James and the Shondell
Arlo Guthrie
No way except Alice's Restaurant deserves to be in it. (PS I dont care for it.)
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Harry Nilsson
The Move
Procul Harum
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Iron Butterfly
Jethro Tull
Yes
Steppenwolf
Yes. Crazy to be left out given the dearth of 'talent' already accepted.
Quicksilver Messenger Service
The Carpenters
Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker
John Denver
Johnny Winter
Yes
Meatloaf
No but, IMHO, Paradise By The Dashboard Lights' best describes Teen angst and any other R&R song I ever heard.
Mott the Hoople
Slade
Three Dog Night
Yes
Warren Zevon
Argent
Badfinger
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
J. Geils Band
Jimmy Buffett
Todd Rundgren
Uriah Heep
Carly Simon
The Doobie Brothers
Electric Light Orchestra
Little Feat
No brainer Yes.
Thin Lizzy
Wings
10cc
Joe Walsh...or the James Gang
Loggins and Messina
Peter Frampton
Roxy Music
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Barry Manilow
Barry White
The NY Dolls
Tina Turner (already in with Ike)
Bad Company
Judas Priest
Kansas
Journey
Ted Nugent
Boston
Luther Vandros
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Devo
Eddie Money
Toto
The B-52s
Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Pat Benatarr
Huey Lewis and the News
INXS
Ozzy Osbourne (in with Black Sabbath)
Add anyone you want. I admit I was not that into funk. Plus add any post 1980 acts.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login