A Possible O-line Rx...
-
Finished the tape review for Game 7. May get the post written this evening, but heading out for a date nite with the wife, so might not...
Mack had a tough game vs. the Rams. He finished with a net +4. Could seldom anchor and did not move well.
For some time now we've only had one interior OL anchor with any consistency... Greco. Sunday saw him anchor time and again even when 1-on-1 with Aaron Donald, who owned nearly every other OL he was able to isolate.
I feel that anchor has to be in the middle... at Center. So I move Greco to Center. We may give up a little in mobility vs Mack, but not that much in my estimation.
Then the question becomes: who backfills for John at RG? Not much to go on, but I think I give Erving a shot. In a limited look at RG in our final series with JM filling in and against a prevent D, he did not disqualify himself from consideration. Made one mental error against a blitz, but form was good and the kid can move.
Maybe a couple weeks off helps Mack find his way back to his early, 2014 form...
Not that any of the above will happen, but staying with our current line up isn't working.
-
So do you think Mack would have high trade value? Or does his opt out clause hurt us in that regard?
-
I did not have trading Alex in mind as I considered the move. More to get him healthy as he is clearly not the same. That said...
For all I know Mack may have a no-trade clause... but if not, and the contract travels with him, then yes, it'd hurt his trade value significantly. Certainly his performance has already dinged his value.
I know the in-season trade window closed this past Wednesday. Not sure how long after the season until it reopens.
-
I'm not saying I want to trade Mack. I just wanted an opinion on his trade value due to his recent play.. Hopefully he can figure it out soon.
-
Man I just have a hard time seeing Erving for Mack being successful. But who knows. Is it unheard of to just swap Mack and Greco?
-
Man I just have a hard time seeing Erving for Mack being successful. But who knows. Is it unheard of to just swap Mack and Greco?
Really boils down to whether you believe Mack can revert to form two years removed from his broken leg.
Man I just have a hard time seeing Erving for Mack being successful. But who knows. Is it unheard of to just swap Mack and Greco?
I thought about that, but just like Erving's movement better than Mack's right now. Plus there could be some benefit to letting Alex rest and rehab.
I can't think of a specific starting OG/C swap for performance reasons, but I seem to remember one instance where the Center broke his hand.
-
Fwiw I'm pretty sure Mack has a no trade clause.
-
-
Finished the tape review for Game 7. May get the post written this evening, but heading out for a date nite with the wife, so might not...
Mack had a tough game vs. the Rams. He finished with a net +4. Could seldom anchor and did not move well.
For some time now we've only had one interior OL anchor with any consistency... Greco. Sunday saw him anchor time and again even when 1-on-1 with Aaron Donald, who owned nearly every other OL he was able to isolate.
I feel that anchor has to be in the middle... at Center. So I move Greco to Center. We may give up a little in mobility vs Mack, but not that much in my estimation.
Then the question becomes: who backfills for John at RG? Not much to go on, but I think I give Erving a shot. In a limited look at RG in our final series with JM filling in and against a prevent D, he did not disqualify himself from consideration. Made one mental error against a blitz, but form was good and the kid can move.
Maybe a couple weeks off helps Mack find his way back to his early, 2014 form...
Not that any of the above will happen, but staying with our current line up isn't working.
Finished the tape review for Game 7. May get the post written this evening, but heading out for a date nite with the wife, so might not...
Mack had a tough game vs. the Rams. He finished with a net +4. Could seldom anchor and did not move well.
For some time now we've only had one interior OL anchor with any consistency... Greco. Sunday saw him anchor time and again even when 1-on-1 with Aaron Donald, who owned nearly every other OL he was able to isolate.
I feel that anchor has to be in the middle... at Center. So I move Greco to Center. We may give up a little in mobility vs Mack, but not that much in my estimation.
Then the question becomes: who backfills for John at RG? Not much to go on, but I think I give Erving a shot. In a limited look at RG in our final series with JM filling in and against a prevent D, he did not disqualify himself from consideration. Made one mental error against a blitz, but form was good and the kid can move.
Maybe a couple weeks off helps Mack find his way back to his early, 2014 form...
Not that any of the above will happen, but staying with our current line up isn't working.
That's not a bad idea at all given the difference in Mack's performance this year. It jumper cables 2 things. Mack with a little more rest and the line with a little more athleticism and upside.
This might go over like a fart in church but from a leverage standpoint - I'd also consider having Schwartz kick inside to face the girthier/squattier DT types and have Erving kick out to RT to face DEs he outweighs. IMO, Erving has lighter feet and better agility than Schwartz for the pass protection part. I'm not saying he can't morph into a good guard - I'm just thinking Tackle might be a much quicker adaptation based on how he's built at this time. Meatball on spaghetti, DEs are usually taller and leaner than DTs so the leverage seems like it will come much easier for Erving outside. More specifically, he'll face guys that weigh about 260 rather than 320 lbs+. Meanwhile, removing all the space to the right of Schwartz should make his pass protection a lot easier against heavier guys with slower feet than he's accustomed to facing. The drawback to my idea is we would be changing personnel at 3 different positions in 1 week - even though we're really only swapping out 1 lineman.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login