Skip to content

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

College Football Forum
331 16 13.6k
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #3

    4cae57a0-828a-11e5-87c8-edecac6ee881_cfp

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #4

    So? Alabama loses to Ole Miss, who has already lost two games, and they get the #4 spot over several other undefeated teams? That is where the myth comes in.

    The other part of the myth is that people were saying: the committee takes into account the strength of schedule....and that is why Alabama is in there. To that I have to say: What the fuck are they talking about?

    They beat the likes of Louisiana-Monroe and Middle Tenn. St., They beat Georgia who was vastly overrated at the time. They beat, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Arkansas who are all decidedly less than mediocre.

    The decent teams in the SEC, besides Alabama are LSU, Florida, and maybe Ole Miss....and Ala. already lost to one of them.

    No, Baylor, TCU, Mich. St. all would have been better choices.

    The good thing: this will all probably come out in the wash as a lot of these teams get to play each other.

    I have said all along that I think LSU is the class of the SEC. I think that will bear fruit on Saturday.

    And those Big 12 teams: OSU/OK/Baylor/TCU all have a round robin against each other coming up. It would be my hope that one team emerges as predominant...but not sure that will happen.

    And of course OSU plays Mich St. later....and that winner likely plays...and beats undefeated Iowa.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Houston needs to move into the Big 12 ASAP.

  • So? Alabama loses to Ole Miss, who has already lost two games, and they get the #4 spot over several other undefeated teams? That is where the myth comes in.

    The other part of the myth is that people were saying: the committee takes into account the strength of schedule....and that is why Alabama is in there. To that I have to say: What the fuck are they talking about?

    They beat the likes of Louisiana-Monroe and Middle Tenn. St., They beat Georgia who was vastly overrated at the time. They beat, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Arkansas who are all decidedly less than mediocre.

    The decent teams in the SEC, besides Alabama are LSU, Florida, and maybe Ole Miss....and Ala. already lost to one of them.

    No, Baylor, TCU, Mich. St. all would have been better choices.

    The good thing: this will all probably come out in the wash as a lot of these teams get to play each other.

    I have said all along that I think LSU is the class of the SEC. I think that will bear fruit on Saturday.

    And those Big 12 teams: OSU/OK/Baylor/TCU all have a round robin against each other coming up. It would be my hope that one team emerges as predominant...but not sure that will happen.

    And of course OSU plays Mich St. later....and that winner likely plays...and beats undefeated Iowa.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @the-gipper said:

    So? Alabama loses to Ole Miss, who has already lost two games, and they get the #4 spot over several other undefeated teams? That is where the myth comes in.

    The other part of the myth is that people were saying: the committee takes into account the strength of schedule....and that is why Alabama is in there. To that I have to say: What the fuck are they talking about?

    They beat the likes of Louisiana-Monroe and Middle Tenn. St., They beat Georgia who was vastly overrated at the time. They beat, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Arkansas who are all decidedly less than mediocre.

    The decent teams in the SEC, besides Alabama are LSU, Florida, and maybe Ole Miss....and Ala. already lost to one of them.

    No, Baylor, TCU, Mich. St. all would have been better choices.

    The good thing: this will all probably come out in the wash as a lot of these teams get to play each other.

    I have said all along that I think LSU is the class of the SEC. I think that will bear fruit on Saturday.

    And those Big 12 teams: OSU/OK/Baylor/TCU all have a round robin against each other coming up. It would be my hope that one team emerges as predominant...but not sure that will happen.

    And of course OSU plays Mich St. later....and that winner likely plays...and beats undefeated Iowa.

    As a Big 12 fan I actually disagree. If you asked Dabo Swinney if he'd rather play Iowa, Michigan St or Alabama on a neutral field he wouldn't choose Alabama. I think he'd choose Alabama over JT Barret lead Ohio St team and they are approrpiately ranked as such.

  • @the-gipper said:

    So? Alabama loses to Ole Miss, who has already lost two games, and they get the #4 spot over several other undefeated teams? That is where the myth comes in.

    The other part of the myth is that people were saying: the committee takes into account the strength of schedule....and that is why Alabama is in there. To that I have to say: What the fuck are they talking about?

    They beat the likes of Louisiana-Monroe and Middle Tenn. St., They beat Georgia who was vastly overrated at the time. They beat, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Arkansas who are all decidedly less than mediocre.

    The decent teams in the SEC, besides Alabama are LSU, Florida, and maybe Ole Miss....and Ala. already lost to one of them.

    No, Baylor, TCU, Mich. St. all would have been better choices.

    The good thing: this will all probably come out in the wash as a lot of these teams get to play each other.

    I have said all along that I think LSU is the class of the SEC. I think that will bear fruit on Saturday.

    And those Big 12 teams: OSU/OK/Baylor/TCU all have a round robin against each other coming up. It would be my hope that one team emerges as predominant...but not sure that will happen.

    And of course OSU plays Mich St. later....and that winner likely plays...and beats undefeated Iowa.

    As a Big 12 fan I actually disagree. If you asked Dabo Swinney if he'd rather play Iowa, Michigan St or Alabama on a neutral field he wouldn't choose Alabama. I think he'd choose Alabama over JT Barret lead Ohio St team and they are approrpiately ranked as such.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @baconhound said:

    As a Big 12 fan I actually disagree. If you asked Dabo Swinney if he'd rather play Iowa, Michigan St or Alabama on a neutral field he wouldn't choose Alabama. I think he'd choose Alabama over JT Barret lead Ohio St team and they are approrpiately ranked as such.

    I am talking about actual accomplisment. Not about what your perceptions are.

    Sorry, but if you lose, you lose. Ole Miss beat Alabama and perhaps, logically, should be rated higher.

    I mean, Ole Miss beat Ala....meaning Ole Miss was better than them.

    Two teams beat Ole Miss, and those two teams must be better than Alabama.

    Those two teams are Florida and Memphis.....and each very well may be better than Alabama and Ole Miss.

    Florida lost to LSU.....so as I see it:

    LSU better than Fla

    Fla better than Ole Miss

    Memphis better than Ole Miss

    Ole Miss better than Alabama

    LSU, Florida, Memphis, Ole Miss.....all better than Alabama

    And Saturday LSU plays Alabama....and may prove all the above absolutely accurate.

    Hopefully....or else, yea, it may all be a mess.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #8

    http://www.gberatings.com/sos/

    When looking at the present top 4.. Alabama does have the highest SOS ranking..

    Ohio State is by far the worst.

  • @baconhound said:

    As a Big 12 fan I actually disagree. If you asked Dabo Swinney if he'd rather play Iowa, Michigan St or Alabama on a neutral field he wouldn't choose Alabama. I think he'd choose Alabama over JT Barret lead Ohio St team and they are approrpiately ranked as such.

    I am talking about actual accomplisment. Not about what your perceptions are.

    Sorry, but if you lose, you lose. Ole Miss beat Alabama and perhaps, logically, should be rated higher.

    I mean, Ole Miss beat Ala....meaning Ole Miss was better than them.

    Two teams beat Ole Miss, and those two teams must be better than Alabama.

    Those two teams are Florida and Memphis.....and each very well may be better than Alabama and Ole Miss.

    Florida lost to LSU.....so as I see it:

    LSU better than Fla

    Fla better than Ole Miss

    Memphis better than Ole Miss

    Ole Miss better than Alabama

    LSU, Florida, Memphis, Ole Miss.....all better than Alabama

    And Saturday LSU plays Alabama....and may prove all the above absolutely accurate.

    Hopefully....or else, yea, it may all be a mess.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @the-gipper said:

    I am talking about actual accomplisment. Not about what your perceptions are.

    Sorry, but if you lose, you lose. Ole Miss beat Alabama and perhaps, logically, should be rated higher.

    I mean, Ole Miss beat Ala....meaning Ole Miss was better than them.

    Two teams beat Ole Miss, and those two teams must be better than Alabama.

    Those two teams are Florida and Memphis.....and each very well may be better than Alabama and Ole Miss.

    Florida lost to LSU.....so as I see it:

    LSU better than Fla

    Fla better than Ole Miss

    Memphis better than Ole Miss

    Ole Miss better than Alabama

    LSU, Florida, Memphis, Ole Miss.....all better than Alabama

    And Saturday LSU plays Alabama....and may prove all the above absolutely accurate.

    Hopefully....or else, yea, it may all be a mess.

    Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

  • @the-gipper said:

    So? Alabama loses to Ole Miss, who has already lost two games, and they get the #4 spot over several other undefeated teams? That is where the myth comes in.

    The other part of the myth is that people were saying: the committee takes into account the strength of schedule....and that is why Alabama is in there. To that I have to say: What the fuck are they talking about?

    They beat the likes of Louisiana-Monroe and Middle Tenn. St., They beat Georgia who was vastly overrated at the time. They beat, Texas A&M, Tennessee and Arkansas who are all decidedly less than mediocre.

    The decent teams in the SEC, besides Alabama are LSU, Florida, and maybe Ole Miss....and Ala. already lost to one of them.

    No, Baylor, TCU, Mich. St. all would have been better choices.

    The good thing: this will all probably come out in the wash as a lot of these teams get to play each other.

    I have said all along that I think LSU is the class of the SEC. I think that will bear fruit on Saturday.

    And those Big 12 teams: OSU/OK/Baylor/TCU all have a round robin against each other coming up. It would be my hope that one team emerges as predominant...but not sure that will happen.

    And of course OSU plays Mich St. later....and that winner likely plays...and beats undefeated Iowa.

    As a Big 12 fan I actually disagree. If you asked Dabo Swinney if he'd rather play Iowa, Michigan St or Alabama on a neutral field he wouldn't choose Alabama. I think he'd choose Alabama over JT Barret lead Ohio St team and they are approrpiately ranked as such.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @baconhound said:

    As a Big 12 fan I actually disagree. If you asked Dabo Swinney if he'd rather play Iowa, Michigan St or Alabama on a neutral field he wouldn't choose Alabama. I think he'd choose Alabama over JT Barret lead Ohio St team and they are approrpiately ranked as such.

    Given Saban's history of defensive woes against teams similar to Ohio State and Clemson, I have little doubt Dabo would prefer to play Iowa or Alabama before Sparty or the Bucks.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am talking about actual accomplisment. Not about what your perceptions are.

    Sorry, but if you lose, you lose. Ole Miss beat Alabama and perhaps, logically, should be rated higher.

    I mean, Ole Miss beat Ala....meaning Ole Miss was better than them.

    Two teams beat Ole Miss, and those two teams must be better than Alabama.

    Those two teams are Florida and Memphis.....and each very well may be better than Alabama and Ole Miss.

    Florida lost to LSU.....so as I see it:

    LSU better than Fla

    Fla better than Ole Miss

    Memphis better than Ole Miss

    Ole Miss better than Alabama

    LSU, Florida, Memphis, Ole Miss.....all better than Alabama

    And Saturday LSU plays Alabama....and may prove all the above absolutely accurate.

    Hopefully....or else, yea, it may all be a mess.

    Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @baconhound said:

    Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

    Ohio state is the defending national champ and has not lost. Neither have they lost any significant players from their championship run. It's not their problem that the B1G largely sucks. In my mind you can't use a bullshit method like "strength of schedule" to discredit a champion.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Let's be clear. Alabama in no way deserves to jump Ohio State now that they've beaten LSU. Strength of schedule aside, who won the last head to head less than a year ago?

  • @baconhound said:

    Actually you aren't talking about accomplishment because Ohio State hasn't beaten anyone of consequence

    Ohio state is the defending national champ and has not lost. Neither have they lost any significant players from their championship run. It's not their problem that the B1G largely sucks. In my mind you can't use a bullshit method like "strength of schedule" to discredit a champion.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Ohio state is the defending national champ and has not lost. Neither have they lost any significant players from their championship run. It's not their problem that the B1G largely sucks. In my mind you can't use a bullshit method like "strength of schedule" to discredit a champion.

    Didn't say that Ohio State doesn't deserve to be in the discussion but thankfully the human element is still in play because I'd hate to see an undefeated Houston jump a one loss Alabama.

  • Let's be clear. Alabama in no way deserves to jump Ohio State now that they've beaten LSU. Strength of schedule aside, who won the last head to head less than a year ago?

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Let's be clear. Alabama in no way deserves to jump Ohio State now that they've beaten LSU. Strength of schedule aside, who won the last head to head less than a year ago?

    Let's be clear last year's Championship game doesn't matter. And I agree that Alabama shouldn't jump Ohio State.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Let's be clear. Alabama in no way deserves to jump Ohio State now that they've beaten LSU. Strength of schedule aside, who won the last head to head less than a year ago?

    Let's be clear last year's Championship game doesn't matter. And I agree that Alabama shouldn't jump Ohio State.

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #15

    @baconhound said:

    Let's be clear last year's Championship game doesn't matter. And I agree that Alabama shouldn't jump Ohio State.

    If the strength of schedule, which is based mostly on a team's performance in the season before, matters, how does a direct matchup of ranked teams in a playoff game from not even a calender year ago not? I mean think about that for a second.

    Also, Ohio State/Alabama was not the championship game.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Strength of Schedule is determined in the season you're playing.

    Oregon looked like a good win early on. It isn't anymore.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #17

    That may be partially true but if it were actually true we wouldn't have been whining about OSU'S strength of schedule well in advance of the actual season

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Right, but you can still tell the relative strength of a team any season. Example, the majority of the time, Purdue isn't going to be good. No, it isn't perfect, but it can give you a rough estimate.

  • That may be partially true but if it were actually true we wouldn't have been whining about OSU'S strength of schedule well in advance of the actual season

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    That may be partially true but if it were actually true we wouldn't have been whining about OSU'S strength of schedule well in advance of the actual season

    It's ok that Ohio State hasn't beat anyone this year. Florida State didn't beat anyone last year.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

  • Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @wargograw said:

    Does Gipper still think LSU is the "class of the SEC" or whatever? That was funny. I still think, as I said, that Ohio State "limps" to 12-0. I said they either choke in the B1G championship game or lose in the semis. Even with their opponent appearing to be a very ugly Iowa team, I still feel decent about it. Not that I'm happy about it. Ohio State is one of my favorite teams.

    Have a sneaking suspicion a one loss Big 12 team won't get in, smh

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #22

    We'll see. I predicted one would. Still feel ok about it, but again we'll see. I don't think it will be OU if that's what you're getting at, due to them having such a bad loss. I think Baylor would have to win out and beat a TCU team that goes 10-2, an OSU team that goes 11-1, etc. AND have some other flies drop in other conferences.