Skip to content

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

College Football Forum
331 16 13.6k
  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Congrats to Alabama. It was set up for them to win of course but they still have to win. Why not let the defending champ whose one loss was to a higher ranked team than Alabama's one loss in? Because you have to give Alabama the best chance to win this year.

    C'mon Kid OSU lost to Michigan St at home with a backup QB. On a neutral field Alabama showed Michigan St didn't belong on the same field. Do I think Ohio State and Stanford may have put up a better fight than OU and Michigan St, probably, but Alabama this season was a great football team and deserves what they got by beating the 2nd best team in the country.

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    @baconhound said:

    C'mon Kid OSU lost to Michigan St at home with a backup QB. On a neutral field Alabama showed Michigan St didn't belong on the same field. Do I think Ohio State and Stanford may have put up a better fight than OU and Michigan St, probably, but Alabama this season was a great football team and deserves what they got by beating the 2nd best team in the country.

    They lost to ole miss. By any logic ohio state should gave gotten the chance to defend. But like I said although it was set up for them to win they still had to win and they did. I take nothing away from them except that they beat the brakes off the second or third best team in the B1G on route to the national title and not the best.

    MSU over OSU was more about what OSU did wrong that night than what MSU did right. But that's how it goes.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    I mean except for the flukiest play I've seen all year (up until the browns kick six fiasco) MSU wouldn't have beaten Michigan and it wouldnt have mattered. Both OSU and (hate to say it) Michigan would have been better representatives to the playoffs but it is what it is.

    The national title game was legit. It's the semis that I think was flawed. Again, this points to how the CFP should be at least 8 team and probably 16.

  • I'm sure Pumpkin Eater will come up with a long, intelligent response to Ag's post, which is fully accurate, to my knowledge.

    Gip, you should stop the "who cares?"-type responses to posts that are in response to another poster that brought up the topic. Maybe address it with that person instead? As to your question, those schools are founding members (or at least joined very, very early) so they joined at the same time (I think).

    Browns 149, there is no money in having two schools that are very close to each other and in the same state.

    Cysko, I disagree with you, however I do think Ohio State would have made a real push had they made the playoff. We saw against Michigan and Notre Dame that when they're on, they're as good as anyone. Too bad they (and the coaching staff) took the day off against MSU. I really wanted to see a rematch.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    I'm sure Pumpkin Eater will come up with a long, intelligent response to Ag's post, which is fully accurate, to my knowledge.

    Gip, you should stop the "who cares?"-type responses to posts that are in response to another poster that brought up the topic. Maybe address it with that person instead? As to your question, those schools are founding members (or at least joined very, very early) so they joined at the same time (I think).

    The fact that you want me to stop the "Who cares" responses wants me to give many,many more of them.

    Browns 149, there is no money in having two schools that are very close to each other and in the same state.

    Cysko, I disagree with you, however I do think Ohio State would have made a real push had they made the playoff. We saw against Michigan and Notre Dame that when they're on, they're as good as anyone. Too bad they (and the coaching staff) took the day off against MSU. I really wanted to see a rematch.

    Who care? It didn't happen. Quit dreaming.

  • I mean except for the flukiest play I've seen all year (up until the browns kick six fiasco) MSU wouldn't have beaten Michigan and it wouldnt have mattered. Both OSU and (hate to say it) Michigan would have been better representatives to the playoffs but it is what it is.

    The national title game was legit. It's the semis that I think was flawed. Again, this points to how the CFP should be at least 8 team and probably 16.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I mean except for the flukiest play I've seen all year (up until the browns kick six fiasco) MSU wouldn't have beaten Michigan and it wouldnt have mattered. Both OSU and (hate to say it) Michigan would have been better representatives to the playoffs but it is what it is.

    The national title game was legit. It's the semis that I think was flawed. Again, this points to how the CFP should be at least 8 team and probably 16.

    Sure. If FCS, D-II and D-III can have 16 team playoffs, why not FBS?

    Oh, yea....to "preserve the integrity of the bowl system". What a laugh that is.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    It's more to preserve the integrity of the regular season as well as the health of players that aren't getting paid from what I can tell. I can go either way.

  • It's more to preserve the integrity of the regular season as well as the health of players that aren't getting paid from what I can tell. I can go either way.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    It's more to preserve the integrity of the regular season as well as the health of players that aren't getting paid from what I can tell. I can go either way.

    But, all that applies to the lower divisions......(who really are not getting paid.....unlike probably many of the FBS level players)

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    They only play 15, which is where we are now in D1. Vast majority of those kids aren't going to the NFL either.

  • They only play 15, which is where we are now in D1. Vast majority of those kids aren't going to the NFL either.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    They only play 15, which is where we are now in D1. Vast majority of those kids aren't going to the NFL either.

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

  • @wargograw said:

    They only play 15, which is where we are now in D1. Vast majority of those kids aren't going to the NFL either.

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

    http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2014/12/23/the-money-behind-the-college-football-playoff-bowl-games

    Don't guess, it's all about the money

  • @the-gipper said:

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

    http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2014/12/23/the-money-behind-the-college-football-playoff-bowl-games

    Don't guess, it's all about the money

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @baconhound said:

    It just seems to me that the payoff from some of those lesser bowls may not even allow the schools to break even. I mean...out of that $500,000 don't they have to transport and feed like 200 people to the bowl site.

  • @baconhound said:

    It just seems to me that the payoff from some of those lesser bowls may not even allow the schools to break even. I mean...out of that $500,000 don't they have to transport and feed like 200 people to the bowl site.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    It just seems to me that the payoff from some of those lesser bowls may not even allow the schools to break even. I mean...out of that $500,000 don't they have to transport and feed like 200 people to the bowl site.

    You can fly and eat pretty well for $500,000, not to mention the conference splits some money

  • @the-gipper said:

    It just seems to me that the payoff from some of those lesser bowls may not even allow the schools to break even. I mean...out of that $500,000 don't they have to transport and feed like 200 people to the bowl site.

    You can fly and eat pretty well for $500,000, not to mention the conference splits some money

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @baconhound said:

    You can fly and eat pretty well for $500,000, not to mention the conference splits some money

    Fly, eat, pay for hotels for that many people? Sounds break even at best to me.....unless the bowl organizers are paying those expenses, which they may be.

  • @wargograw said:

    They only play 15, which is where we are now in D1. Vast majority of those kids aren't going to the NFL either.

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

    A 16 team playoff in D1 would mean teams have to play 17 games. The powers that be have deemed that too many since it's longer than an NFL season. Maybe that'll change. The D2-3 folks play less regular season games.

  • @the-gipper said:

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

    A 16 team playoff in D1 would mean teams have to play 17 games. The powers that be have deemed that too many since it's longer than an NFL season. Maybe that'll change. The D2-3 folks play less regular season games.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    A 16 team playoff in D1 would mean teams have to play 17 games. The powers that be have deemed that too many since it's longer than an NFL season. Maybe that'll change. The D2-3 folks play less regular season games.

    17 games? How do you figure....unless teams are playing 13 games. Perhaps. If teams play a 12 game regular season...then a Conf. title game, then 4 playoff games for just 2 teams in the nation.

    I suspect that the Athletic Budget Directors of those 2 teams would be happy to see them play those 17 games.

    As far as that goes, since most of these guys are semipro anyway....the extra games would not hurt them.

    Of course...one other solution would be to limit the regular season to just 11 games......but God forbid that the big schools give up a cash cow with one of their cupcake games.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    You answered your own question. Of course folks would like the money. NFL owners would like the money of a 20 game season too, and yet it's been 16 for (you can look it up) years.

    Personally, I don't want a big playoff. But I would be intrigued by how good the OOC matchups would become if we had a 16 team playoff where teams were really scrambling to boost their RPI and get in "the tourney."

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    I wish this thread would die.

  • I wish this thread would die.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I wish this thread would die.

    It has taken on various permutations......just go with the menstrual flow.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    SEC,SEC,,,,Alabama wins again.....yawn

  • SEC,SEC,,,,Alabama wins again.....yawn

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    SEC,SEC,,,,Alabama wins again.....yawn

    Yea...HGH wins again!! 😆

    Hey peen....I am going to be down your way in a couple of weeks, passing through for a week that I am staying..in: Alabama!

    I will send you a PM.

  • I wish this thread would die.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I wish this thread would die.

    The performance of the SEC this past week certainly won't make it die. They were 7-7 (and there was one conference game....South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt) so you might look at it more like 6-6. Some really bad losses as well.....and at least 3 more games in which they could easily have lost: Tenn to an FCS school, Ark. won by 1 pt. vs. La. Tech. The OT win....with the terrible college OT rule....of Txam over UCLA.

    Its a good thing the SEC has a fairly full schedule of cupcakes this week.....a lot of FCS schools. though there are a couple of league games, and a couple of tough non-conf. games: Tenn. vs. Va Tech (neutral site game) and Arkansas vs. TCU

    They were 3-4 vs. the other P5 leagues.

    But, yes, they have Alabama. I think between them and Georgia that is fairly it as far as high quality teams go.