Skip to content

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

College Football Forum
331 16 13.6k
  • Ole Miss is high quality until the NCAA drops the hammer

    Just kidding. The NCAA is spineless.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Ole Miss is high quality until the NCAA drops the hammer

    Just kidding. The NCAA is spineless.

    You're learning 😉

  • @wargograw said:

    Ole Miss is a high quality team. Auburn may be. I will bet that LSU, Tennessee, and Florida are just fine down the stretch and if Arkansas does their normal thing, that's a tough out too.

    They aren't even doing that great against the cupcakes. So. Alabama, So. Miss.

    I think the ACC has owned the SEC the last several years.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    They aren't even doing that great against the cupcakes. So. Alabama, So. Miss.

    I think the ACC has owned the SEC the last several years.

    They owned it one year. 2014. That's it. I only went back to 2005, but the SEC has a winning record against the ACC in all but 2014 and 2008 where it was .500. So no, they haven't owned the SEC over the last several years.

  • @the-gipper said:

    They aren't even doing that great against the cupcakes. So. Alabama, So. Miss.

    I think the ACC has owned the SEC the last several years.

    They owned it one year. 2014. That's it. I only went back to 2005, but the SEC has a winning record against the ACC in all but 2014 and 2008 where it was .500. So no, they haven't owned the SEC over the last several years.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    They owned it one year. 2014. That's it. I only went back to 2005, but the SEC has a winning record against the ACC in all but 2014 and 2008 where it was .500. So no, they haven't owned the SEC over the last several years.

    What was their record last year vs. ACC. I thought ACC won more. (though I may be thinking of 2014)

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    6-4. 3-5 in 2014.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    I would like to come up with a formula that factors in the strength of the teams involved in these non-con matchups. I mean, FSU is a legit national championship contender this year. Ole Miss was only ranked 10 or so. It's very shallow analysis to dock the latter for losing that game at a neutral site, especially by so little. Same with Auburn. Technically the same with Georgia/UNC (UNC was ranked higher), but I think most people know Georgia is the stronger program with much more talent. By the same token, App State should get credit for going into UT's house and playing them close. But I'm not sure how to factor it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be willing to do the research.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by

    I think it's hard to factor anything after one week except Alabama is for real.. Honestly I feel like the rest of the SEC is going to be down this yr.. Tenn should be good. App St is no walk over.. Ask Michigan..

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    And that app state isn't as good as our app State

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by

    Keep telling yourself that boy..

  • And that app state isn't as good as our app State

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    And that app state isn't as good as our app State

    Kinda splitting hairs. They went 11-2 last year and return 19 starters from that team.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    Calm down.

    But that app State team had some NFL players on it.

    More importantly though, no one knew what a spread offense was. Especially Lloyd Carr haha

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    10-0 against non-con this week. Includes a 67-0 shutout and an unranked win against a ranked team on the road.

    ACC 7-3 including one G5 loss.

    B1G 9-4 including two G5 losses.

    Big 12 4-4* with 1 game outstanding and they're losing. Includes two ranked losses to unranked teams (one G5) and an additional loss to a G5 school.

    PAC 5-0 with 5 games outstanding and they're down in 3 of them, all G5 schools.

    *Should be 5-3 given OSU officiating flub.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    The SEC had to get through national powers like Nicholls this week.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Howard, Illinois State, and Ball State a huge step up.

    The SEC has 4 wins in non-conference against top 25 teams. No other league has more than 1.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    Who played Howard, Illinois St and Ball State?

    I don't believe I'm advocating for any conference. Because being a fan of a conference is dumb.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Really convenient system you've got worked out there. Talk endless trash about another conference and remove all possibility of having your own criticized.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    I'm not on the "B1G TEN IS THE BEST CONFERENCE WOOO!" dick riding train. We get it, "The South Will Rise Again" and blah blah blah.

    Fans of SEC teams are notorious for being SEC fans (which really just means Bama fan). It is annoying and pathetic. Be a fan of your own team, don't live through Bama's success. I will take the time to shoot holes through any SEC fan overhyping their conference. But I'll never do it for the B1G. I am a Michigan fan. Not a B1G fan.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    You don't "get" anything, since I've never said that. Do you just live in your own fantasy world? We're glad you're annoyed. We're also fans of our own teams. Far better fans than the Big 10 on the whole. And yes, as long as you talk trash about the SEC, you will hear an equal amount about the Big 10. Don't be mad you had to cancel the SEC's funeral you planned after week 1.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    The SEC is just Alabama. There is no funeral.

    Why are you better fans?

    I shit talk the SEC because so many people dick ride the SEC

  • You don't "get" anything, since I've never said that. Do you just live in your own fantasy world? We're glad you're annoyed. We're also fans of our own teams. Far better fans than the Big 10 on the whole. And yes, as long as you talk trash about the SEC, you will hear an equal amount about the Big 10. Don't be mad you had to cancel the SEC's funeral you planned after week 1.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    Far better fans than the Big 10 on the whole.

    I presume you mean 'bigger'? Let's be real, the obesity rate in the south is just.... God Damn.

    That has to be what you meant.

  • You don't "get" anything, since I've never said that. Do you just live in your own fantasy world? We're glad you're annoyed. We're also fans of our own teams. Far better fans than the Big 10 on the whole. And yes, as long as you talk trash about the SEC, you will hear an equal amount about the Big 10. Don't be mad you had to cancel the SEC's funeral you planned after week 1.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    You don't "get" anything, since I've never said that. Do you just live in your own fantasy world? We're glad you're annoyed. We're also fans of our own teams. Far better fans than the Big 10 on the whole. And yes, as long as you talk trash about the SEC, you will hear an equal amount about the Big 10. Don't be mad you had to cancel the SEC's funeral you planned after week 1.

    The Big 10 has developed a rule that the schools will no longer be allowed to schedule games against non FBS teams. Any of those games that were scheduled previous to the rule being instituted were grandfathered in and are allowed to be played. That is why you see Howard and Illinois St. on the schedule....but those games will end for the Big Ten. Not so for the SEC. They will want to continue to schedule their cupcakes. Also, the Big Ten will begin scheduling 9 league games. I believe the SEC still only schedules 8.

    If the SEC wants to be considered the best conference, it will have to adopt a similar rule.

    As for best fans, I doubt that. Three of the top 5 schools in average attendance in the country are Big Ten schools.

    But, here is another thing: more Big Ten fans live in areas where there are NFL teams to root for. Rutgers in NJ has Jets and Giants on their doorstep. Maryland is close to both Ravens and Redskins. Penn st....between Steelers and Eagles. Buckeyes between Browns/Bengals. Michigan/Mich St. have Lions, Indiana/Purdue have Colts. Illinois/Northwestern have Bears, Wisconsin has Packers, Minnesota has Vikings. Only Iowa and Nebraska are in a state with no NFL team. SEC has more states with no NFL: South Carolina, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas. SEC has less NFL competition for fan support overall.