Skip to content

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

College Football Forum
331 16 13.6k
  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    Gipper is wrong about a lot of things because he stopped retaining new information in the 80s

    But War isn't right either.

    A&M is not the best team in the state.

    The Big 12 was unstable before they left.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Yes that's just US Census data on cities, metros can really spread even invading other cities areas.

    Columbus on the other hand is still the biggest island in Ohio, and if you don't count the NHL still the largest US city without a professional team....well except for the BUCKEYES 😉

    Well, I DO count the NHL.

    The largest city in the US without a team is actually Austin TX. While San Antonio is fairly nearby...about 75 miles I believe, between SA which is listed as the 7th largest city in the US and Austin which is ranked 11th, they have only the Spurs as a major league franchise in the big 4 sports. In fact, they don't have an MLS team either.

    I guess for football and baseball the league expect the people in that area to gravitate toward the Dallas or Houston teams.

    But the key to having a major league team in town is not what the population of the cities proper are, but what the metro area is....and to be more precise, where a community ranks in the Nielsen DMA (Designated market area)

    As of this year, separately SA and Austin rank 32d and 39th. Combined they rank about the same size as the Cleveland DMA.

    Columbus is ranked 31st, Cincinnati 36th.

    So, Austin and San Antonio combined are about the size of C-bus and Cincy combined. As noted, Cleveland is just slightly less than the two various markets combined.

    https://www.tvb.org/Portals/0/media/file/DMA/2015-2016-dma-ranks.pdf

    Of all the DMAs on this list, Hartford is the largest city with no team in the 4 major sports.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    @mjp28 said:

    Yes that's just US Census data on cities, metros can really spread even invading other cities areas.

    Columbus on the other hand is still the biggest island in Ohio, and if you don't count the NHL still the largest US city without a professional team....well except for the BUCKEYES 😉

    Well, I DO count the NHL.

    The largest city in the US without a team is actually Austin TX. While San Antonio is fairly nearby...about 75 miles I believe, between SA which is listed as the 7th largest city in the US and Austin which is ranked 11th, they have only the Spurs as a major league franchise in the big 4 sports. In fact, they don't have an MLS team either.

    I guess for football and baseball the league expect the people in that area to gravitate toward the Dallas or Houston teams.

    Wow after years of Columbus having that distinction I forgot about Austin.

    And to me like the autos it's still Big 3 football, baseball, basketball on TV, attendance, revenues both professional and NCAA.

    NHL is trying to gain some traction after some events like cancellation of an entire season. They're actually going to a 31st team in of all places Lost Wages, Nevada soon! Desperate huh, the others won't touch it. It's still largely a Canadian and northern states game.

    Oh and what's this have to do with NCAA super conferences? They also tend to follow the population centers and where the money is to be made over time.

  • Gipper is wrong about a lot of things because he stopped retaining new information in the 80s

    But War isn't right either.

    A&M is not the best team in the state.

    The Big 12 was unstable before they left.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Gipper is wrong about a lot of things because he stopped retaining new information in the 80s

    But War isn't right either.

    A&M is not the best team in the state.

    The Big 12 was unstable before they left.

    Who is? I said we COULD be the best team. We'll know a lot more this weekend. Texas has a win slightly better than ours. That's about it. They were also 5-7 last year in the worst of the P5 conferences. TCU just lost to the worst Arkansas team in three years. Who knows about Baylor. Of course there's Houston.

    Gipper, Colorado did leave before us. 4 teams don't jump ship from stable conferences.

  • Gipper is wrong about a lot of things because he stopped retaining new information in the 80s

    But War isn't right either.

    A&M is not the best team in the state.

    The Big 12 was unstable before they left.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Gipper is wrong about a lot of things because he stopped retaining new information in the 80s

    But War isn't right either.

    A&M is not the best team in the state.

    The Big 12 was unstable before they left.

    There is one thing I am certainly not wrong about: Michigan sucks and Harbaugh is an asshat.

  • @the-gipper said:

    @mjp28 said:

    Yes that's just US Census data on cities, metros can really spread even invading other cities areas.

    Columbus on the other hand is still the biggest island in Ohio, and if you don't count the NHL still the largest US city without a professional team....well except for the BUCKEYES 😉

    Well, I DO count the NHL.

    The largest city in the US without a team is actually Austin TX. While San Antonio is fairly nearby...about 75 miles I believe, between SA which is listed as the 7th largest city in the US and Austin which is ranked 11th, they have only the Spurs as a major league franchise in the big 4 sports. In fact, they don't have an MLS team either.

    I guess for football and baseball the league expect the people in that area to gravitate toward the Dallas or Houston teams.

    Wow after years of Columbus having that distinction I forgot about Austin.

    And to me like the autos it's still Big 3 football, baseball, basketball on TV, attendance, revenues both professional and NCAA.

    NHL is trying to gain some traction after some events like cancellation of an entire season. They're actually going to a 31st team in of all places Lost Wages, Nevada soon! Desperate huh, the others won't touch it. It's still largely a Canadian and northern states game.

    Oh and what's this have to do with NCAA super conferences? They also tend to follow the population centers and where the money is to be made over time.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Wow after years of Columbus having that distinction I forgot about Austin.

    And to me like the autos it's still Big 3 football, baseball, basketball on TV, attendance, revenues both professional and NCAA.

    NHL is trying to gain some traction after some events like cancellation of an entire season. They're actually going to a 31st team in of all places Lost Wages, Nevada soon! Desperate huh, the others won't touch it. It's still largely a Canadian and northern states game.

    Oh and what's this have to do with NCAA super conferences? They also tend to follow the population centers and where the money is to be made over time.

    The NHL is older than the NFL, and the NBA, and is certainly one of the major sports. As for where they are located, they are in such northern cities as Miami, Tampa, Raleigh, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, Anaheim, LA, San Jose..(and yes, now Las Vegas)..they were in Atlanta until Atlanta no longer supported them.

    And if I recall correctly, the NHL has a higher capacity percentage than the NBA (percent of seats sold). I am not sure about TV ratings and revenue. And yes, the sport was founded in Canada, and is big in Canada. So what? Don't be mysoginistic.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Gipper is wrong about a lot of things because he stopped retaining new information in the 80s

    But War isn't right either.

    A&M is not the best team in the state.

    The Big 12 was unstable before they left.

    Who is? I said we COULD be the best team. We'll know a lot more this weekend. Texas has a win slightly better than ours. That's about it. They were also 5-7 last year in the worst of the P5 conferences. TCU just lost to the worst Arkansas team in three years. Who knows about Baylor. Of course there's Houston.

    Gipper, Colorado did leave before us. 4 teams don't jump ship from stable conferences.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    Who is? I said we COULD be the best team. We'll know a lot more this weekend. Texas has a win slightly better than ours. That's about it. They were also 5-7 last year in the worst of the P5 conferences. TCU just lost to the worst Arkansas team in three years. Who knows about Baylor. Of course there's Houston.

    Gipper, Colorado did leave before us. 4 teams don't jump ship from stable conferences.

    Well, like I said, I wasn't sure of the Colorado/TAMU timing. There is Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, what was the 4th? Arkansas? Were they ever part of the Big 12?

    But just because there are changes in a conference doesn't mean that a league is unstable. The SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12 all have had changes too. And the Big 12 is adding teams. (though I am NOT of the opinion that WVa and Cincinnati should be part of the Big 12. The ACC would be a better fit for them).

    As for TAMU and Arkansas, that game is yet to be played, no? We shall see. If they beat TC..which has been far better in the recent past, they can beat you.

    You got Auburn today. Worry about them.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Wow after years of Columbus having that distinction I forgot about Austin.

    And to me like the autos it's still Big 3 football, baseball, basketball on TV, attendance, revenues both professional and NCAA.

    NHL is trying to gain some traction after some events like cancellation of an entire season. They're actually going to a 31st team in of all places Lost Wages, Nevada soon! Desperate huh, the others won't touch it. It's still largely a Canadian and northern states game.

    Oh and what's this have to do with NCAA super conferences? They also tend to follow the population centers and where the money is to be made over time.

    The NHL is older than the NFL, and the NBA, and is certainly one of the major sports. As for where they are located, they are in such northern cities as Miami, Tampa, Raleigh, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, Anaheim, LA, San Jose..(and yes, now Las Vegas)..they were in Atlanta until Atlanta no longer supported them.

    And if I recall correctly, the NHL has a higher capacity percentage than the NBA (percent of seats sold). I am not sure about TV ratings and revenue. And yes, the sport was founded in Canada, and is big in Canada. So what? Don't be mysoginistic.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @the-gipper said:

    The NHL is older than the NFL, and the NBA, and is certainly one of the major sports. As for where they are located, they are in such northern cities as Miami, Tampa, Raleigh, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, Anaheim, LA, San Jose..(and yes, now Las Vegas)..they were in Atlanta until Atlanta no longer supported them.

    And if I recall correctly, the NHL has a higher capacity percentage than the NBA (percent of seats sold). I am not sure about TV ratings and revenue. And yes, the sport was founded in Canada, and is big in Canada. So what? Don't be mysoginistic.

    On the NHL I like it mainly the Penguins during the Lemieux era and somewhat now during the Syd the Kid reduced interest era in still hockey tv hungry Pittsburgh. But the PIT/SJ 2016 Stanley Cup Final was one of the lowest-rated National Hockey League title tilts since the sport returned to NBC 11 years ago. And while partisans can offer up more excuses for the weak turnout the fact remains that hockey simply is no longer a consistent TV draw. It is also 4th in most all other money matters but still above that boring soccer (recess for big kids, lol).

    Those 10 of 30 soon to be 11 of 31 non-northern cities are necessary to try to keep the NHL growing. Canada and even some northern US cities have lost unprofitable teams over the years much to the dismay of many Canadians and old hockey loyalists.

    (edit add- oh my dad was a good hockey player, baseball player and a great boxer before and during the WWII era, a champ in the Navy when he wasn't dodging Nazi fighters)

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    On the once great Big 8 later Big 12 did it implode or just explode? Too bad it was a good conference long ago.

  • @wargograw said:

    Who is? I said we COULD be the best team. We'll know a lot more this weekend. Texas has a win slightly better than ours. That's about it. They were also 5-7 last year in the worst of the P5 conferences. TCU just lost to the worst Arkansas team in three years. Who knows about Baylor. Of course there's Houston.

    Gipper, Colorado did leave before us. 4 teams don't jump ship from stable conferences.

    Well, like I said, I wasn't sure of the Colorado/TAMU timing. There is Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, what was the 4th? Arkansas? Were they ever part of the Big 12?

    But just because there are changes in a conference doesn't mean that a league is unstable. The SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12 all have had changes too. And the Big 12 is adding teams. (though I am NOT of the opinion that WVa and Cincinnati should be part of the Big 12. The ACC would be a better fit for them).

    As for TAMU and Arkansas, that game is yet to be played, no? We shall see. If they beat TC..which has been far better in the recent past, they can beat you.

    You got Auburn today. Worry about them.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, like I said, I wasn't sure of the Colorado/TAMU timing. There is Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, what was the 4th? Arkansas? Were they ever part of the Big 12?

    But just because there are changes in a conference doesn't mean that a league is unstable. The SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12 all have had changes too. And the Big 12 is adding teams. (though I am NOT of the opinion that WVa and Cincinnati should be part of the Big 12. The ACC would be a better fit for them).

    As for TAMU and Arkansas, that game is yet to be played, no? We shall see. If they beat TC..which has been far better in the recent past, they can beat you.

    You got Auburn today. Worry about them.

    Beating "TC" who has been better than us in the past means a team who we've beaten FOUR YEARS IN A ROW will beat us. #logic

    What's funny is that if we had TCU's resume and they had ours you would 100%, 0 doubt about it say "they are 2 (now 3)-0. You have a loss. Ergo, they are better." So again, stop trolling.

    Auburn--check.

    Everybody still super impressed with Houston's OU win?

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Missouri was the 4th to leave Mr. Super Huge College Football expert.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Calm down nut job.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Gipper is wrong about a lot of things because he stopped retaining new information in the 80s

    But War isn't right either.

    A&M is not the best team in the state.

    The Big 12 was unstable before they left.

    There is one thing I am certainly not wrong about: Michigan sucks and Harbaugh is an asshat.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    There is one thing I am certainly not wrong about: Michigan sucks and Harbaugh is an asshat.

    you are correct Sir
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @tiamat63 said:

    Fuck your conference and fuck your fans.

    I got tOSU and I"m good with that.

    WHOA the young barely favored (-1.5) BUCKEYES sure put a beat down on OKLAHOMA in Norman last night 45-24.

    Did feel a bit bad for Ohio native Bob Stoops getting embarrassed like that but Ohio native Urban is now 19-0 in road games and unreal in everything else. Hey one Ohio coach had to win, glad it was from The OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY. 😉

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    The bucks whipped that okie ass and that's a-OK by me.

    I hate Michigan but they look pretty tough as well. If somehow OSU doesn't make the playoffs I'd still rather see those guys up north roll Alabama than the other way around.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    That's super gay. Ohio State's not even my number 1 team and I'd root for every single college football team save Texas against Michigan. F them.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    Whatever. I'd rather see the Big ten be considered the dominant division in football. I hate Alabama more than Michigan these days. Probably because they've been our bitch for a while.

  • Whatever. I'd rather see the Big ten be considered the dominant division in football. I hate Alabama more than Michigan these days. Probably because they've been our bitch for a while.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Whatever. I'd rather see the Big ten be considered the dominant division in football. I hate Alabama more than Michigan these days. Probably because they've been our bitch for a while.

    Alabama is a freaking loaded team again this year, I just dislike Saban because he seems to come off like a dickweed, I don't know he might be a great husband and father 😉

    "m" got way down during the Tressel vs LLLLLLoyd years but that is changing back -but- Urban is still king!

    The B10 got screwed royal by ND State beating Iowa last week, looks like OSU, m, MST and maybe not much else really.

  • That's super gay. Ohio State's not even my number 1 team and I'd root for every single college football team save Texas against Michigan. F them.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    That's super gay. Ohio State's not even my number 1 team and I'd root for every single college football team save Texas against Michigan. F them.

    Haha, why do you hate Michigan?

    As far as I know we have no history with A&M. But then again it isn't a very historic program so who knows

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Because I like Ohio State and I love a good rivalry. And you guys are a bunch of goodie two shoes liberal fags, which wouldn't be a big deal, except that you guys are complete snobs about it.

    Mjp, I always think it's hilariously ironic when Ohio State fans say Saban's a dick. Not that Saban's not, but have you guys seen Urban Meyer lately? My friend was on the team during the Tressell-Meyer transition and the stories I could tell you would probably make you cringe. That's not to say he's not a great coach. I hope he's in Columbus for a long time, but the guy is an ahole.

  • Whatever. I'd rather see the Big ten be considered the dominant division in football. I hate Alabama more than Michigan these days. Probably because they've been our bitch for a while.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Whatever. I'd rather see the Big ten be considered the dominant division in football. I hate Alabama more than Michigan these days. Probably because they've been our bitch for a while.

    I don't tend to hate teams that have been my bitch but whatever floats your boat man.

    I'm glad someone has the balls to admit your second sentence.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid

    What? That I'm tired of the nation gobbling Alabama cock? Fuck them. We beat them in 2014 and they got lucky they played sparty last year. Sparty? Please. Everyone knows they didn't face the best, or even the second best, in the B1G, despite what the record says. Sparty got lucky as Fuck in conference games last year. Fluke win against Michigan (even though I loved it) and OSU really beat themselves, but did the national media care? gobble gobble gobble Alabama beat sparty how great are they? Bama still might have won, but there's no way they blank either OSU or Michigan. Either would have been a dogfight at the least