Skip to content

Players Frustrated With O'Neil?

The Browns Board
15 10 604
  • If Pettine doesn't get rid of O'Neil, he'll be going with him.

  • If Pettine doesn't get rid of O'Neil, he'll be going with him.

    @londonbrown said:

    If Pettine doesn't get rid of O'Neil, he'll be going with him.

    This maybe why I keep saying "Say Bye to O'Neil after the game leading into the Bye week. Pettine proves his D will work with Pet.

  • As a Yankee fan I can tell you highest paid doesn't equal most talented. Not one team in the entire NFL would trade a 4th rounder for Kruger or Haden and they make a ton of money. Until I hear a Karlos Dansby at his locker say, "this scheme is making us ineffective" I put zero stock into pundits opinions.

  • As a Yankee fan I can tell you highest paid doesn't equal most talented. Not one team in the entire NFL would trade a 4th rounder for Kruger or Haden and they make a ton of money. Until I hear a Karlos Dansby at his locker say, "this scheme is making us ineffective" I put zero stock into pundits opinions.

    @baconhound said:

    As a Yankee fan I can tell you highest paid doesn't equal most talented. Not one team in the entire NFL would trade a 4th rounder for Kruger or Haden and they make a ton of money. Until I hear a Karlos Dansby at his locker say, "this scheme is making us ineffective" I put zero stock into pundits opinions.

    Ewwwwwwwww Yankee and Celtics

  • @baconhound said:

    As a Yankee fan I can tell you highest paid doesn't equal most talented. Not one team in the entire NFL would trade a 4th rounder for Kruger or Haden and they make a ton of money. Until I hear a Karlos Dansby at his locker say, "this scheme is making us ineffective" I put zero stock into pundits opinions.

    Ewwwwwwwww Yankee and Celtics

    @bbedward said:

    Ewwwwwwwww Yankee and Celtics

    HaHa yeah add Sooners and Bruins. Most will say I should be a FRAK Stooler fan but you get your teams and stick with them.

  • It seems to be one of those where theres smoke theres fire things. There have been a lot of tidbits here and there about O'Neil and the players attitude towards him. Plenty has also been written on his unwillingness to adapt his schemes to our players skills. I think these things are true and show on the field. Friends or not sometimes as the top dog you have to make tough calls. Pettine should have likely already fired him IMO.

  • I want both Pettine and JFF gone.. they both suck.

  • Anyone who puts continues to put defensive lineman/ rush OLB in coverage after being burned on it all season ought to be fired. Here's my totally unsubstantiated take. Our D was better last year because Pettine was running it directly. This year, he handed it off to O'Neil, who figures he wants to make a name for himself as a D coordinator which he can't do if just does exactly what Pettine did last year, so he decides to "innovate" which leads to idiotic moves like dropping Kruger and Bryant into coverage. Where good coaches put their players in a position to succeed, O'Neil puts the players in a position to fail.

    I bet we saw Kruger rush the passer so much last night as a result of intervention by Pettine. Pettine needs to take the next step and fire O'Neil and take over the D for the rest of the season. I don't think he will, though, because he is blinded by his loyalty to him.

  • Anyone who puts continues to put defensive lineman/ rush OLB in coverage after being burned on it all season ought to be fired. Here's my totally unsubstantiated take. Our D was better last year because Pettine was running it directly. This year, he handed it off to O'Neil, who figures he wants to make a name for himself as a D coordinator which he can't do if just does exactly what Pettine did last year, so he decides to "innovate" which leads to idiotic moves like dropping Kruger and Bryant into coverage. Where good coaches put their players in a position to succeed, O'Neil puts the players in a position to fail.

    I bet we saw Kruger rush the passer so much last night as a result of intervention by Pettine. Pettine needs to take the next step and fire O'Neil and take over the D for the rest of the season. I don't think he will, though, because he is blinded by his loyalty to him.

    @osiris said:

    I bet we saw Kruger rush the passer so much last night as a result of intervention by Pettine. Pettine needs to take the next step and fire O'Neil and take over the D for the rest of the season.

    Quite possible and long overdue intervention...

    Firing? Really a case where the HC needs to consult with the leaders on D. If not only O'Neil has lost the room, but also it is irrecoverable... then yes, boot him. But if it is really a matter of X's and O's... then there's a chance O'Neil can be salvaged.

    The problem with the latter though, is how did Pet allow it to get so far off the rails?

  • You would think Jimmy Haslem's smiling ass will be sitting in Shitsburg waitin for the outcome of this one? anything like 1st half at Shits last year. O'Neil is not coming out that tunnel again..

  • @osiris said:

    I bet we saw Kruger rush the passer so much last night as a result of intervention by Pettine. Pettine needs to take the next step and fire O'Neil and take over the D for the rest of the season.

    Quite possible and long overdue intervention...

    Firing? Really a case where the HC needs to consult with the leaders on D. If not only O'Neil has lost the room, but also it is irrecoverable... then yes, boot him. But if it is really a matter of X's and O's... then there's a chance O'Neil can be salvaged.

    The problem with the latter though, is how did Pet allow it to get so far off the rails?

    @tour2ma said:

    Quite possible and long overdue intervention...Firing? Really a case where the HC needs to consult with the leaders on D. If not only O'Neil has lost the room, but also it is irrecoverable... then yes, boot him. But if it is really a matter of X's and O's... then there's a chance O'Neil can be salvaged.The problem with the latter though, is how did Pet allow it to get so far off the rails?

    My guess is Pettine is loyal to a fault. Would rather give O'Neil too many chances to turn it around than undercut him by intervening. That and Pettine seems slow to adjust in about everything.

  • Possible, O, but so much behind-the-scenes time to take his buddy aside and help him.