Skip to content

20 Years After The Move Have You Moved On?

The Browns Board
27 21 824
  • I think many have moved on. For years many people would have Browns flags, blow up figures and many other types of Browns themed yard decorations. They have become fewer and fewer to the point now that it is a rarity to see any brown and orange in yards. But still plenty of stool samples to look at. And I feel very fortunate that I was 8 in 64 and got to see them win it all as well as many years of good football teams. Just depressing!

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I think many have moved on. For years many people would have Browns flags, blow up figures and many other types of Browns themed yard decorations. They have become fewer and fewer to the point now that it is a rarity to see any brown and orange in yards. But still plenty of stool samples to look at. And I feel very fortunate that I was 8 in 64 and got to see them win it all as well as many years of good football teams. Just depressing!

    You put on a Browns Jersey or Flags in NC it's like you just sent up a Rebel Flag. Panthers & Redskins Fans the Worst..

  • I dunno, I was in downtown Cleveland Saturday night and there were lots of Browns chants in the bars etc? Although we did start a few of them 🙂

    The people still really love that club, on gameday I met and eventually did shots with a lady and her friends she was in her 60s and still a dawg pound ST holder. She said she's in the real dawg pound and everywhere else is the puppy pound which made me laugh. Her homemade shots were awesome as well, Apple flavour.

    I'm relatively 'new' but you all deserve so much more than what's happened since 1999.

  • Hope you had a blast LB ^^^^^ was there any midget tossing? 😮

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    I think many have moved on. For years many people would have Browns flags, blow up figures and many other types of Browns themed yard decorations. They have become fewer and fewer to the point now that it is a rarity to see any brown and orange in yards. But still plenty of stool samples to look at. And I feel very fortunate that I was 8 in 64 and got to see them win it all as well as many years of good football teams. Just depressing!

    You put on a Browns Jersey or Flags in NC it's like you just sent up a Rebel Flag. Panthers & Redskins Fans the Worst..

    @gumby73 said:

    You put on a Browns Jersey or Flags in NC it's like you just sent up a Rebel Flag. Panthers & Redskins Fans the Worst..

    i lived in Johnston county for a year. Lots of Cowboy fans too. I wore Browns shirts and got laughed at. My reply would be to say that Gen. Lee sucked! otherwise he wouldn't have lost Gettysburg and the war. Takes their lil sun baked minds right off football...lol

  • Hope you had a blast LB ^^^^^ was there any midget tossing? 😮

    @gumby73 said:

    Hope you had a blast LB ^^^^^ was there any midget tossing? 😮

    Thankfully not because at my height, I'd have probably been tossed around like a bitch !

  • @gumby73 said:

    Hope you had a blast LB ^^^^^ was there any midget tossing? 😮

    Thankfully not because at my height, I'd have probably been tossed around like a bitch !

    @londonbrown said:

    Thankfully not because at my height, I'd have probably been tossed around like a bitch !

    Got her name? or will she forever be known as "my 60's apple shots" 😉

  • @londonbrown said:

    Thankfully not because at my height, I'd have probably been tossed around like a bitch !

    Got her name? or will she forever be known as "my 60's apple shots" 😉

    @gumby73 said:

    Got her name? or will she forever be known as "my 60's apple shots" 😉

    She called herself "chick" , that's not a name in England...

  • @columbusking said:

    Have you moved on? I personally can't say I have and I hope Art rots in hell, terrible business man and a worse liar.

    Nope...not ready to move on.....But I do have a different perspective than I used too....Not nearly as emotional about the team as I was before the move.....And I no longer let them ruin my day(or, god forbid, a whole week)....WHY?.....Because its just football. Nothing more. Win or lose, my life doesn't change one drop. I realized that as soon as they moved....nothing changed in my world except a few hours o Sunday....which actually seemed nice to get back.....

    To me, watching a game is like watching a movie....hopefully it has a decent ending, but I DO usually enjoy the whole game...the back and forth...etc....just cause I love watching football...and can appreciate a good game, whether we win or lose.....

    So, if we lose, its really just that last second that I dont like......but I couldnt imagine being angry the whole game.....or watching a movie Im certain Ill hate over and over again....or sticking through an entire movie that I hate, then being angry for a week because it sucked.....or staying mad for days, weeks, months because I chose to watch entertainment that just makes me mad.....makes no sense.....its supposed to be fun, not torture.....

    This is why I cant even go to the Tavern anymore....all the anger and bitching completely removes all the fun of watching for me...

    Hell...they could win 10 Super Bowls and I still gotta show up at work on Monday......just doesnt matter that much anymore....

    So, Ill continue to follow them and watch the games....Ill monitor the trades and draft(maybe my favorite part)....watch the young players develop(or not)....and Ill enjoy it like I do any other hobby.....

    And the second it starts to make me an angry, unhappy, bitchy person and stops being fun....I will do what any sensible person would do and stop watching......simple really......we all choose what we do with our time, but choosing constant misery just seems stupid.....

    @mudfly said:

    Nope...not ready to move on.....But I do have a different perspective than I used too....Not nearly as emotional about the team as I was before the move.....And I no longer let them ruin my day(or, god forbid, a whole week)....WHY?.....Because its just football. Nothing more. Win or lose, my life doesn't change one drop. I realized that as soon as they moved....nothing changed in my world except a few hours o Sunday....which actually seemed nice to get back.....

    To me, watching a game is like watching a movie....hopefully it has a decent ending, but I DO usually enjoy the whole game...the back and forth...etc....just cause I love watching football...and can appreciate a good game, whether we win or lose.....

    So, if we lose, its really just that last second that I dont like......but I couldnt imagine being angry the whole game.....or watching a movie Im certain Ill hate over and over again....or sticking through an entire movie that I hate, then being angry for a week because it sucked.....or staying mad for days, weeks, months because I chose to watch entertainment that just makes me mad.....makes no sense.....its supposed to be fun, not torture.....

    This is why I cant even go to the Tavern anymore....all the anger and bitching completely removes all the fun of watching for me...

    Hell...they could win 10 Super Bowls and I still gotta show up at work on Monday......just doesnt matter that much anymore....

    So, Ill continue to follow them and watch the games....Ill monitor the trades and draft(maybe my favorite part)....watch the young players develop(or not)....and Ill enjoy it like I do any other hobby.....

    And the second it starts to make me an angry, unhappy, bitchy person and stops being fun....I will do what any sensible person would do and stop watching......simple really......we all choose what we do with our time, but choosing constant misery just seems stupid.....

    Pretty much my feelings exactly.

  • Can't move on. Would be easy living in New England to hop on Patriots bandwagon but I can't do it. Cleveland was our family's Ellis Island. Can't turn my back on that.

  • Mud 4 prez

  • I suppose we have all " moved on" in our own ways. Have we accepted the ramifications of the move?...Hell No! Never have and never will. We have been transformed, in the last 20 years, from fans of a proud, winning NFL franchise, to fans of the worst team in the NFL. I envy the younger Browns fans. They haven't been around long enough to remember this team being a consistent contender, when a year that we didn't reach the playoffs was the exception....not the norm. I'm not certain if I have just naturally matured into a crabby old bastard, wishing for "the good old days", or the circumstances surrounding the Browns has done it. In fact, Gipper, if you read this, and you are still an active attorney, I would like to dfiscuss the possibilities of a class action lawsuit...Me vs. the NFL. You would have to take the case Pro Bono, of course. Personally...as I probably have suggested many times....I would have been thrilled if the NFL had disbanned the entire Browns organization in 1995, retaining all the records, and the new franchise becoming a completely different team, which it is anyway. This ridiculous crap, in my mind, is not the Cleveland Browns. Of course, legally, it is, but not really. You can put Porsche emblems on your '81 Chevette, but it's still a Chevette. I know there will be a bunch of you who will disagree with everything I said, but I don't really give a crap. In fact....go fuck yourselves! I told you I was a crabby old bastard. To answer the question....yes...I've moved on.

  • http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/feature/25363357/lost-dawgs

    Great article, begging the question.

    Have you moved on? I personally can't say I have and I hope Art rots in hell, terrible business man and a worse liar.

    @columbusking said:

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/feature/25363357/lost-dawgs

    Great article, begging the question.

    Have you moved on? I personally can't say I have and I hope Art rots in hell, terrible business man and a worse liar.

    Here's where I fault Art Modell for. And said listen if I don't get this kind of deal I can't afford to stay in Cleveland. He did not. I would mostly blame the city politicians for not recognizing how important the Cleveland Browns were to the city and northeastern Ohio.

    If I would have put all his cards on the table and still been refused he would have saved himself at least someone in my opinion.

    I actually think he should have built a stadium in Strongsville or Summit County.

    WSS

  • @columbusking said:

    Have you moved on? I personally can't say I have and I hope Art rots in hell, terrible business man and a worse liar.

    Nope...not ready to move on.....But I do have a different perspective than I used too....Not nearly as emotional about the team as I was before the move.....And I no longer let them ruin my day(or, god forbid, a whole week)....WHY?.....Because its just football. Nothing more. Win or lose, my life doesn't change one drop. I realized that as soon as they moved....nothing changed in my world except a few hours o Sunday....which actually seemed nice to get back.....

    To me, watching a game is like watching a movie....hopefully it has a decent ending, but I DO usually enjoy the whole game...the back and forth...etc....just cause I love watching football...and can appreciate a good game, whether we win or lose.....

    So, if we lose, its really just that last second that I dont like......but I couldnt imagine being angry the whole game.....or watching a movie Im certain Ill hate over and over again....or sticking through an entire movie that I hate, then being angry for a week because it sucked.....or staying mad for days, weeks, months because I chose to watch entertainment that just makes me mad.....makes no sense.....its supposed to be fun, not torture.....

    This is why I cant even go to the Tavern anymore....all the anger and bitching completely removes all the fun of watching for me...

    Hell...they could win 10 Super Bowls and I still gotta show up at work on Monday......just doesnt matter that much anymore....

    So, Ill continue to follow them and watch the games....Ill monitor the trades and draft(maybe my favorite part)....watch the young players develop(or not)....and Ill enjoy it like I do any other hobby.....

    And the second it starts to make me an angry, unhappy, bitchy person and stops being fun....I will do what any sensible person would do and stop watching......simple really......we all choose what we do with our time, but choosing constant misery just seems stupid.....

    @mudfly said:

    Nope...not ready to move on.....But I do have a different perspective than I used too....Not nearly as emotional about the team as I was before the move.....And I no longer let them ruin my day(or, god forbid, a whole week)....WHY?.....Because its just football. Nothing more. Win or lose, my life doesn't change one drop. I realized that as soon as they moved....nothing changed in my world except a few hours o Sunday....which actually seemed nice to get back.....

    To me, watching a game is like watching a movie....hopefully it has a decent ending, but I DO usually enjoy the whole game...the back and forth...etc....just cause I love watching football...and can appreciate a good game, whether we win or lose.....

    So, if we lose, its really just that last second that I dont like......but I couldnt imagine being angry the whole game.....or watching a movie Im certain Ill hate over and over again....or sticking through an entire movie that I hate, then being angry for a week because it sucked.....or staying mad for days, weeks, months because I chose to watch entertainment that just makes me mad.....makes no sense.....its supposed to be fun, not torture.....

    This is why I cant even go to the Tavern anymore....all the anger and bitching completely removes all the fun of watching for me...

    Hell...they could win 10 Super Bowls and I still gotta show up at work on Monday......just doesnt matter that much anymore....

    So, Ill continue to follow them and watch the games....Ill monitor the trades and draft(maybe my favorite part)....watch the young players develop(or not)....and Ill enjoy it like I do any other hobby.....

    And the second it starts to make me an angry, unhappy, bitchy person and stops being fun....I will do what any sensible person would do and stop watching......simple really......we all choose what we do with our time, but choosing constant misery just seems stupid.....

    I wish I was this evolved. I still get angry throughout the game when it settles in that there seems to be no progress being made.

  • I wish I had the sensibility as some of these people. Every Sunday as I sit and watch this dumpster fire I cant help but think how all my anger generally comes down to this not being the same team we would have if Modell never existed. This season isnt nearly as bad because I dont have to see the Ratbirds with a winning record, but they still have the rings they stole so yeah, it gets to me. I would shake the hand of the man who pissed on Modells grave.

  • I suppose we have all " moved on" in our own ways. Have we accepted the ramifications of the move?...Hell No! Never have and never will. We have been transformed, in the last 20 years, from fans of a proud, winning NFL franchise, to fans of the worst team in the NFL. I envy the younger Browns fans. They haven't been around long enough to remember this team being a consistent contender, when a year that we didn't reach the playoffs was the exception....not the norm. I'm not certain if I have just naturally matured into a crabby old bastard, wishing for "the good old days", or the circumstances surrounding the Browns has done it. In fact, Gipper, if you read this, and you are still an active attorney, I would like to dfiscuss the possibilities of a class action lawsuit...Me vs. the NFL. You would have to take the case Pro Bono, of course. Personally...as I probably have suggested many times....I would have been thrilled if the NFL had disbanned the entire Browns organization in 1995, retaining all the records, and the new franchise becoming a completely different team, which it is anyway. This ridiculous crap, in my mind, is not the Cleveland Browns. Of course, legally, it is, but not really. You can put Porsche emblems on your '81 Chevette, but it's still a Chevette. I know there will be a bunch of you who will disagree with everything I said, but I don't really give a crap. In fact....go fuck yourselves! I told you I was a crabby old bastard. To answer the question....yes...I've moved on.

    @lodilobo said:

    I suppose we have all " moved on" in our own ways. Have we accepted the ramifications of the move?...Hell No! Never have and never will. We have been transformed, in the last 20 years, from fans of a proud, winning NFL franchise, to fans of the worst team in the NFL. I envy the younger Browns fans. They haven't been around long enough to remember this team being a consistent contender, when a year that we didn't reach the playoffs was the exception....not the norm. I'm not certain if I have just naturally matured into a crabby old bastard, wishing for "the good old days", or the circumstances surrounding the Browns has done it. In fact, Gipper, if you read this, and you are still an active attorney, I would like to dfiscuss the possibilities of a class action lawsuit...Me vs. the NFL. You would have to take the case Pro Bono, of course. Personally...as I probably have suggested many times....I would have been thrilled if the NFL had disbanned the entire Browns organization in 1995, retaining all the records, and the new franchise becoming a completely different team, which it is anyway. This ridiculous crap, in my mind, is not the Cleveland Browns. Of course, legally, it is, but not really. You can put Porsche emblems on your '81 Chevette, but it's still a Chevette. I know there will be a bunch of you who will disagree with everything I said, but I don't really give a crap. In fact....go fuck yourselves! I told you I was a crabby old bastard. To answer the question....yes...I've moved on.

    nah, i don't disagree, but it seems i care less and less about this fucked up organization. I don't get quite as upset anymore. By tuesday its all forgotten. I have been a browns fan since 1963 and i am not even from cleveland. I'm orignally from the philadelphia area...Never rooted for any philly teams.Loved the browns because my dad told me to watch this guy named jim brown when he gets the football...back then we had black and white tv. I just followed the team from then on and you hit the nail on the head..This is not the cleveland browns...the name is but that's about it. I don't know what it is anymore. I now live in atlanta and they are my backup team. Hey gotta root for someone whose season isn't over in October yr after yr. They seem to be getting it right..I see what they are doing and i look at this pos team in cleveland and it makes me sick. Oh well, guess i'm a crabby old fart also..Can't stop father time though...hope i get to see a championship for the browns but right now it looks bad..