Skip to content

Derek Carr

The Browns Board
45 21 1.8k
  • He is the real deal, someone on here was very keen on us drafting him and very vocal about it. You were right, we should have.

  • I wanted to draft him.

  • A lot of people wanted to draft him

  • Not that many as I remember it... one of the loudest for Derek was Po, IIRC.

    A lot of us were hung up on the system thing...

  • My QB wish list from that draft:

    1) Bortles

    2) Carr

    3) Garoppolo

  • PoG's one and only hit, and it's a good one........................ PoG still has more hits than Farmer.

  • Of course it was PoG, how could I forget that!

    In Mack, Carr and Cooper Oakland have mixed BPA with need perfectly.

  • Doesn't mean a fucking thing. He'd be about a year or two from being outta the league. It is safe to say the browns could have drafted Andy Dalton and he would be outta the league by now.

  • Raiders also have Cooper and Crabtree to throw it to

  • PoG's one and only hit, and it's a good one........................ PoG still has more hits than Farmer.

    @d-bone said:

    PoG's one and only hit, and it's a good one........................ PoG still has more hits than Farmer.

    Sad, but true.

  • What folks fail to realize is Cleveland could draft the second coming of Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, and Jerry Rice and Pettine still would sit them all in favor of more experienced players. Everyone says we just suck at drafting, but what if the real problem is we suck at coaching and developing young players?

  • It's definitely more than just poor drafting since 99, too many misses for it to be just picking poor players

  • What folks fail to realize is Cleveland could draft the second coming of Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, and Jerry Rice and Pettine still would sit them all in favor of more experienced players. Everyone says we just suck at drafting, but what if the real problem is we suck at coaching and developing young players?

    @osiris said:

    What folks fail to realize is Cleveland could draft the second coming of Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, and Jerry Rice and Pettine still would sit them all in favor of more experienced players. Everyone says we just suck at drafting, but what if the real problem is we suck at coaching and developing young players?

    If your talking about not playing John. You are wrong. If anything rushing him into action was worse for him than anything they've done thus year. Doing the same old shit "throw the kid in there to see what he's got" hasn't worked in the past very well. And now everyone wants to bench a guy that can throw for 300+ and multiple TDs at will. Don't get me wrong I don't "LIKE" John M. But the kid is progressing. Maybe not that of a 1st Round talent, but progressing non the less. I feel comfortable letting him at least be backup qb. Beginning of the season I woulda said he couldn't do that even.

  • Raiders also have Cooper and Crabtree to throw it to

    @browns1216 said:

    Raiders also have Cooper and Crabtree to throw it to

    Bingo-we have Mayle and Bowe-oh wait!?

  • It's definitely more than just poor drafting since 99, too many misses for it to be just picking poor players

    @londonbrown said:

    It's definitely more than just poor drafting since 99, too many misses for it to be just picking poor players

    I'd agree if we saw a bunch of the dudes we draft do good somewhere else, but that rarely happens. Everyone talked about how Phil Taylor was a surprise cut and he's still sitting on the couch. Go down the list like that and it shows the dudes we drafted just weren't good football players.

  • He is the real deal, someone on here was very keen on us drafting him and very vocal about it. You were right, we should have.

    @londonbrown said:

    He is the real deal, someone on here was very keen on us drafting him and very vocal about it. You were right, we should have.

    its not just him. they drafted cooper. this guy is going to be another julio jones. mark my words. and crabtree is playing amazing football. This is an example of drafting well and signing free agents who are good....hello front ofc in cleveland...and yes carr is the real deal...

  • My QB wish list from that draft:

    1) Bortles

    2) Carr

    3) Garoppolo

    @canton-dawg said:

    My QB wish list from that draft:

    1) Bortles

    2) Carr

    3) Garoppolo

    i liked bortles also. I think he is going to be a very very good qb. He already has made some pretty good strides...

  • I liked Carr a year before he even entered the draft. I was hoping wed get him or Bridgewater with our 2nd 1st rounder or or 2nd round pick... Oh well... Im still a fan of his...

  • @osiris said:

    What folks fail to realize is Cleveland could draft the second coming of Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, and Jerry Rice and Pettine still would sit them all in favor of more experienced players. Everyone says we just suck at drafting, but what if the real problem is we suck at coaching and developing young players?

    If your talking about not playing John. You are wrong. If anything rushing him into action was worse for him than anything they've done thus year. Doing the same old shit "throw the kid in there to see what he's got" hasn't worked in the past very well. And now everyone wants to bench a guy that can throw for 300+ and multiple TDs at will. Don't get me wrong I don't "LIKE" John M. But the kid is progressing. Maybe not that of a 1st Round talent, but progressing non the less. I feel comfortable letting him at least be backup qb. Beginning of the season I woulda said he couldn't do that even.

    @cdl15 said:

    If your talking about not playing John. You are wrong. If anything rushing him into action was worse for him than anything they've done thus year. Doing the same old shit "throw the kid in there to see what he's got" hasn't worked in the past very well. And now everyone wants to bench a guy that can throw for 300+ and multiple TDs at will. Don't get me wrong I don't "LIKE" John M. But the kid is progressing. Maybe not that of a 1st Round talent, but progressing non the less. I feel comfortable letting him at least be backup qb. Beginning of the season I woulda said he couldn't do that even.

    I'm not talking about JM, I'm talking about the misguided belief that Derek Carr would've been as good as he is now if Cleveland had drafted him. He wouldn't have been because the Browns haven't shown the ability to properly develop young players or to surround them with the talent to succeed. Suppose the Browns drafted Carr. Who did they draft earlier? Gilbert. What position does Farmer undervalue? Wide Recievers. Who would have Carr thrown to here in Cleveland? Mayle? That guy couldn't even make the roster.

    What you have in the Browns are coaches with a win-now mentality but a roster with lose-now talent. This team needs time to develop but it will never happen if everyone doesn't allow for the growing pains to develop young players.

  • @osiris said:

    What folks fail to realize is Cleveland could draft the second coming of Tom Brady, Lawrence Taylor, and Jerry Rice and Pettine still would sit them all in favor of more experienced players. Everyone says we just suck at drafting, but what if the real problem is we suck at coaching and developing young players?

    If your talking about not playing John. You are wrong. If anything rushing him into action was worse for him than anything they've done thus year. Doing the same old shit "throw the kid in there to see what he's got" hasn't worked in the past very well. And now everyone wants to bench a guy that can throw for 300+ and multiple TDs at will. Don't get me wrong I don't "LIKE" John M. But the kid is progressing. Maybe not that of a 1st Round talent, but progressing non the less. I feel comfortable letting him at least be backup qb. Beginning of the season I woulda said he couldn't do that even.

    @cdl15 said:

    If your talking about not playing John. You are wrong. If anything rushing him into action was worse for him than anything they've done thus year. Doing the same old shit "throw the kid in there to see what he's got" hasn't worked in the past very well. And now everyone wants to bench a guy that can throw for 300+ and multiple TDs at will. Don't get me wrong I don't "LIKE" John M. But the kid is progressing. Maybe not that of a 1st Round talent, but progressing non the less. I feel comfortable letting him at least be backup qb. Beginning of the season I woulda said he couldn't do that even.

    This is the NFL. Bortles is starting. Carr is starting. Bridgewater is starting. Good bad or ugly those guys are starting.