McCown To Start Vs. Steelers If Healthy
-
Firstly, I think we both know comparing 58 instances of events to 4 is fundamentally statistically biased..
I mean I hear what you're saying, I don't even disagree strongly. That's why I noted above I'd almost rather Haslam go to Pettine and let him know he's got a year three no matter the results. There's a good amount of 1st round QB prospects this year and we gotta know if Manziel is the dude or not. It's just pretty unreasonable to make that opinion with 4 games as a body of work.
I know, the point was to illustrate the "flawed" reasoning behind saying "McCown has always been a loser" as if it were some sort of proof of who should be starting. In a perfect world, what you're suggesting would be the best course of action.
However, we don't have that opportunity. Regardless of the point of the season, it's still a "win now" league. If Manziel didn't clearly show that he should overtake McCown, the coaches have no choice but to let it ride with McCown.
I know, the point was to illustrate the "flawed" reasoning behind saying "McCown has always been a loser" as if it were some sort of proof of who should be starting. In a perfect world, what you're suggesting would be the best course of action.
However, we don't have that opportunity. Regardless of the point of the season, it's still a "win now" league. If Manziel didn't clearly show that he should overtake McCown, the coaches have no choice but to let it ride with McCown.
Based on he's a loser train of thinking. We shoulda never got rid of Hoyer.
-
@DawgPoundNation: #Browns injury woes are real. Josh McCown, Joe Haden, Donte Whitner, Armonty Bryant and Joel Bitonio all not practicing today.
-
Yeah Pettine, start McCown...after all, he's the guy responsible for the total of 3 points we've scored in the last 3 2nd halves combined! If we continue to NOT use Duke, but run Winston in the 2nd half against Pittspuke, maybe we can make up the 55 points scored AGAINST us in those same 3 halves. I have to admit the guy rides a mean stationary bike.
Best chance to win? I'm sorry, but there IS no "best chance to win" without halftime adjustments & dramatic change to this defense.
If I don't laugh, I might explode. Pettine's defense is not just ineffective, it's practically non existent & he seems to REFUSE to address it. It's not just the players.
Mike
-
Just cut manziel then and be done with it for Christ's sake. Why keep him? To try and develop him into something he'll never be?
-
Fine with me. It's really not the QB position that needs fixing. It's a defense that cannot stop the run, especially in the second half. And an offensive line that had the same second half problem being consistent. Add to that the minions with the dropsies that we call WR's and multimillion $ big guy who could not get open if he came in after hours.
-
This is a no brainer.
Start guy who can throw for 300+ and multiple TDs at will..... or...... start a guy that has made strides as reliable backup?
If the Browns are going to win games its going to take the QB to carry this team to victory. McCown is better suited for it. Still waiting for the RBs to break the 40 yrds rushing per game consistently.
This team needs WINS. Not punting and evaluating talent.
This is a no brainer.
Start guy who can throw for 300+ and multiple TDs at will..... or...... start a guy that has made strides as reliable backup?
If the Browns are going to win games its going to take the QB to carry this team to victory. McCown is better suited for it. Still waiting for the RBs to break the 40 yrds rushing per game consistently.
This team needs WINS. Not punting and evaluating talent.
WINS for what this season is all but over WTF this team isn't going anywhere McCown is a veteran stop gap career backup, WINS WE AINT GONNA WINS!
-
htownbrown posted an outstanding link on why Manziel should not be starting.. Pretty sure no one here has read it so please do so before posting anymore nonsense..
-
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/10/9689988/johnny-manziel-browns-film-breakdown-not-ready-to-start
Manziel is not ready and this article will breakdown why he's not. Start McCown when he's ready.
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/10/9689988/johnny-manziel-browns-film-breakdown-not-ready-to-start
Manziel is not ready and this article will breakdown why he's not. Start McCown when he's ready.
Great article. Getting the all-22 view certainly makes it easier to recognize a QBs flaws.
I'm not against moving forward with McCown, but it would be nice to see IF Manziel can learn to "pass first" and start reserving his athleticism for only times when he NEEDS it.
Based on what I've seen in my lifetime of watching football, that rarely (maybe never) happens...
-
htownbrown posted an outstanding link on why Manziel should not be starting.. Pretty sure no one here has read it so please do so before posting anymore nonsense..
htownbrown posted an outstanding link on why Manziel should not be starting.. Pretty sure no one here has read it so please do so before posting anymore nonsense..
Kind of long, but I read it.
-
Just cut manziel then and be done with it for Christ's sake. Why keep him? To try and develop him into something he'll never be?
"Something" as in an NFL QB?Just cut manziel then and be done with it for Christ's sake. Why keep him? To try and develop him into something he'll never be?
-
I think John has done very well at the back up spot. Hes 1-1 and making better decisions protecting football. He really gets no blame for cinncy
As much as I want the support of the article, a couple play's analysis don't ring true. Therefore the writer must be a hater...
Always wondered what it felt like to say that...
I think John has done very well at the back up spot. Hes 1-1 and making better decisions protecting football. He really gets no blame for cinncy
Really... he does... and I'm not saying he's a bad backup, but no way can he be deemed "reliable" at this point.
Fine with me. It's really not the QB position that needs fixing. It's a defense that cannot stop the run, especially in the second half.
Didn't JM play both ways in HS???

-
As much as I want the support of the article, a couple play's analysis don't ring true. Therefore the writer must be a hater...
Always wondered what it felt like to say that...
I think John has done very well at the back up spot. Hes 1-1 and making better decisions protecting football. He really gets no blame for cinncy
Really... he does... and I'm not saying he's a bad backup, but no way can he be deemed "reliable" at this point.
Fine with me. It's really not the QB position that needs fixing. It's a defense that cannot stop the run, especially in the second half.
Didn't JM play both ways in HS???

Didn't JM play both ways in HS???

Funny thing is that JM always wanted to be a longhorn, but Mack Brown was only offering him as a safety. Chip Kelly thought he would fit his scheme as QB, as did an assistant of Sherman's @ A&M. The lack of a QB capable of winning a Heisman is what ended Mack's coaching career.
-
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/10/9689988/johnny-manziel-browns-film-breakdown-not-ready-to-start
Manziel is not ready and this article will breakdown why he's not. Start McCown when he's ready.
Great article. Getting the all-22 view certainly makes it easier to recognize a QBs flaws.
I'm not against moving forward with McCown, but it would be nice to see IF Manziel can learn to "pass first" and start reserving his athleticism for only times when he NEEDS it.
Based on what I've seen in my lifetime of watching football, that rarely (maybe never) happens...
Great article. Getting the all-22 view certainly makes it easier to recognize a QBs flaws.
I'm not against moving forward with McCown, but it would be nice to see IF Manziel can learn to "pass first" and start reserving his athleticism for only times when he NEEDS it.
Based on what I've seen in my lifetime of watching football, that rarely (maybe never) happens...
It's a good article, but you can look through a critical lens and see mistakes in any QB in any game throughout the year. You don't get better at playing QB by riding the bench. I know Aaron Rodgers did that, but he's the exception to the rule. Everything in that article are things he could get better at but never will unless he plays in real game situations.
I hope no one thinks I'm a Manziel homer, cause honestly I don't think he's got it either. But we have to know that for certain before this draft because my count there's at least 3 guys that have franchise signal caller type prospects, and if at Manziel we gotta know. What are you gonna do though, just being real it doesn't matter who we throw out there for wins and losses anyway.
-
That article doesn't seem to take into account JM's height in any situation?
-
I get the feeling, which may be incorrect, that Mike Pettine just doesn't like Johnny, and doesn't particularly like Ray Farmer whom he feels foisted the quarterback upon him in the first place.
The hostility has been evident since the draft. And I think that hostility will eventually cost the coach his job.
WSS
-
I can accept that Pettine isnt crazy about Johnny and doesnt like his game.....heck, half of the football world feels that way.....So, if my job was at stake, Id also go with the guy I thought was the best player......makes complete sense to me...
Hostility?.....haven't seen that at all.....In fact, with all the "Johnny" issues he's had to answer to, Im surprised he's remained as calm and collected as he has.....
Im thinking if it was true hostility, Johnny would be gone or we'd be seeing Shaw or Austin as the #2......
Its not a conspiracy folks.....Johnny just isnt that good......
-
I can accept that Pettine isnt crazy about Johnny and doesnt like his game.....heck, half of the football world feels that way.....So, if my job was at stake, Id also go with the guy I thought was the best player......makes complete sense to me...
Hostility?.....haven't seen that at all.....In fact, with all the "Johnny" issues he's had to answer to, Im surprised he's remained as calm and collected as he has.....
Im thinking if it was true hostility, Johnny would be gone or we'd be seeing Shaw or Austin as the #2......
Its not a conspiracy folks.....Johnny just isnt that good......
No other first round quarterback sat on the bench behind a journeyman. As far as I know, could be.I can accept that Pettine isnt crazy about Johnny and doesnt like his game.....heck, half of the football world feels that way.....So, if my job was at stake, Id also go with the guy I thought was the best player......makes complete sense to me...
Hostility?.....haven't seen that at all.....In fact, with all the "Johnny" issues he's had to answer to, Im surprised he's remained as calm and collected as he has.....
Im thinking if it was true hostility, Johnny would be gone or we'd be seeing Shaw or Austin as the #2......
Its not a conspiracy folks.....Johnny just isnt that good......
And not one of them from the latest crop on several occasions to act like a backup.
And no matter who it is waiting until game day in an overt show of no confidence is not the optimal idea for success, especially with a rookie.
WSS
-
No other first round quarterback sat on the bench behind a journeyman. As far as I know, could be.I can accept that Pettine isnt crazy about Johnny and doesnt like his game.....heck, half of the football world feels that way.....So, if my job was at stake, Id also go with the guy I thought was the best player......makes complete sense to me...
Hostility?.....haven't seen that at all.....In fact, with all the "Johnny" issues he's had to answer to, Im surprised he's remained as calm and collected as he has.....
Im thinking if it was true hostility, Johnny would be gone or we'd be seeing Shaw or Austin as the #2......
Its not a conspiracy folks.....Johnny just isnt that good......
And not one of them from the latest crop on several occasions to act like a backup.
And no matter who it is waiting until game day in an overt show of no confidence is not the optimal idea for success, especially with a rookie.
WSS
No other first round quarterback sat on the bench behind a journeyman. As far as I know, could be.
And not one of them from the latest crop on several occasions to act like a backup.
Yes....1st rounders have sat on the bench.....some not even getting a snap, let alone a start....
And Id say there's a (very) good chance those other guys are just better than Johnny.......and, I know for certain, none of them took their rookie seasons off ....(IE: They showed up, worked harder and played better)(fact)
People keep wanting to compare him to Teddy, Carr and Bortles.....but there is no comparison in the way they have prepared, acted or played when given the chance.........
-
"Something" as in an NFL QB?Just cut manziel then and be done with it for Christ's sake. Why keep him? To try and develop him into something he'll never be?
-
I get the feeling, which may be incorrect, that Mike Pettine just doesn't like Johnny, and doesn't particularly like Ray Farmer whom he feels foisted the quarterback upon him in the first place.
The hostility has been evident since the draft. And I think that hostility will eventually cost the coach his job.
WSS
I get the feeling, which may be incorrect, that Mike Pettine just doesn't like Johnny, and doesn't particularly like Ray Farmer whom he feels foisted the quarterback upon him in the first place.
The hostility has been evident since the draft. And I think that hostility will eventually cost the coach his job.
WSS
I think you're correct.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login