Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Understanding Europe

Understanding Europe

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
24 Posts 7 Posters 1.3k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Aloysius ?
    • Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Since our resident right-wingers seem to be taking particular glee in citing European opposition to coordinated stimulus and financial bailouts, it's probably a good idea to understand what the Europeans are actually saying and why they're saying it. So here are two clips explaining explaining precisely that.

    First, what the Europeans are saying:

    And why "the lessons of history" are leading them in that (perhaps mistaken) direction:

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
      • 64k Posts
      • 8k Reputation
      C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Well, as a moderate American, a conservative patriot, I am shocked that there are only two people

      in Europe.

      Learn somethin every freakin day. Hmm.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • mz. ?
        • Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        ? mz. wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Mamma, I wanna be a "Conservative Patriot," too!

        Thanks for posting those, Alo. Perhaps I'll soon be able to tell Europeans I'm American again.

        S 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • ? Guest

          Mamma, I wanna be a "Conservative Patriot," too!

          Thanks for posting those, Alo. Perhaps I'll soon be able to tell Europeans I'm American again.

          smalls1129 S
          • 210 Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          S smalls1129 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          mz. said:

          Mamma, I wanna be a "Conservative Patriot," too!

          Thanks for posting those, Alo. Perhaps I'll soon be able to tell Europeans I'm American again.

          The fact that you mean this and are that ashamed of your country explains a lot of your other posts.

          ? 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • S smalls1129

            mz. said:

            Mamma, I wanna be a "Conservative Patriot," too!

            Thanks for posting those, Alo. Perhaps I'll soon be able to tell Europeans I'm American again.

            The fact that you mean this and are that ashamed of your country explains a lot of your other posts.

            mz. ?
            • Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            ? mz. wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @smalls1129 said:

            The fact that you mean this and are that ashamed of your country explains a lot of your other posts.

            Thank you. Finally someone gets me...................

            I love living here but the reputation that Troglodyte Bush was giving me (read: us) worldwide was embarrassing as hell.

            S 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • ? Guest

              @smalls1129 said:

              The fact that you mean this and are that ashamed of your country explains a lot of your other posts.

              Thank you. Finally someone gets me...................

              I love living here but the reputation that Troglodyte Bush was giving me (read: us) worldwide was embarrassing as hell.

              smalls1129 S
              • 210 Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              S smalls1129 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              mz. said:

              Thank you. Finally someone gets me...................

              I love living here but the reputation that Troglodyte Bush was giving me (read: us) worldwide was embarrassing as hell.

              No the fact that so many American's are worried about what people around the world think of us is embarrassing as hell. Do you think they give one solitary fck about what we think of them. No, they don't care at all, b/c for the last 60 years (WWII-9/11) it didn't matter what they did if they needed help (monetary, military) we were right there to help them. So, no, I don't give a rats azz what THEY think of us.

              Kosar_For_PresidentK 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • mz. ?
                • Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                ? mz. wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Okey dokey.

                I dig traveling and don't need Bush's stank on me.

                Au revoir!

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • S smalls1129

                  mz. said:

                  Thank you. Finally someone gets me...................

                  I love living here but the reputation that Troglodyte Bush was giving me (read: us) worldwide was embarrassing as hell.

                  No the fact that so many American's are worried about what people around the world think of us is embarrassing as hell. Do you think they give one solitary fck about what we think of them. No, they don't care at all, b/c for the last 60 years (WWII-9/11) it didn't matter what they did if they needed help (monetary, military) we were right there to help them. So, no, I don't give a rats azz what THEY think of us.

                  Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
                  • 6k Posts
                  • 221 Reputation
                  Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by Kosar_For_President
                  #8

                  @smalls1129 said:

                  No the fact that so many American's are worried about what people around the world think of us is embarrassing as hell. Do you think they give one solitary fck about what we think of them. No, they don't care at all, b/c for the last 60 years (WWII-9/11) it didn't matter what they did if they needed help (monetary, military) we were right there to help them. So, no, I don't give a rats azz what THEY think of us.

                  Might be the statement of the year. I couldn't of said it better myself.

                  I lived in England for 4 years, those arrogant fcks. They say Americans are arrogant, lol. Every time I would bring up the topic, we saved your ass in WWII, no one wants to talk about it. Only the negativity of American's being fat and stupid. I've seen some fat fcks in England too, let alone 1/2 of my class going out at lunch to sniff glue.

                  My grandmother (RIP) worked for the English fire brigade during WWII (sitting on rooftops alerting where the Nazi's were bombing). She was always gracious towards our country. Past generations know what we did for the world. Knowing that without the US, they would be a shell of a Nazi country. As Tobi Keith as it sounds, I am proud of my country, just not the people running it.

                  Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • mz. ?
                    • Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    Dad gummit I DO lurve Umerica!!!

                    Kosar_For_PresidentK 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Legacy Fan Legacy FanL
                      • 3k Posts
                      • 197 Reputation
                      Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by Legacy Fan
                      #10

                      I think Drezner's point about Europe being a larger welfare state than the US should serve as warning to why we shouldn't seek to increase our welfare system. It's essentially a highly leveraged company that becomes too burdened in a cyclical market (which we've always been in) when its resources get over used in an economic downturn.

                      With the track record of everything the government has ever put its hands on, it is very clear it is not a dynamic enough entity to make the necessary adjustments to a shifty market.

                      I also disagree with his point about deflation. Sure it slows financial markets that makes its money off of the sale & exchange of money, nothing more (101 version). Rapid spikes in these sectors lead us into our current situation. Whereas the production side of an economy where goods & services are exchanged shows the viable, stable health of an economy, rather than simply cruising on short term growth.

                      We have a fine example of this at our gas pumps. The credit markets dry up, gas drops in half. Because commodities traders lost their money to play with, they also lose out on the opportunity to make more money to play with. That's why you see these severe losses being posted.

                      Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. -Don Shula
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • ? Guest

                        Dad gummit I DO lurve Umerica!!!

                        Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
                        • 6k Posts
                        • 221 Reputation
                        Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        mz. said:

                        Dad gummit I DO lurve Umerica!!!

                        We get it, you love you country you must be a hillbilly. That's some pretty progressive thinking. Come on man. You don't have to be a hillbilly to be patriotic. You say some pretty smart stuff, but now YOU sound like the hillbilly.

                        Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
                        ? 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President

                          mz. said:

                          Dad gummit I DO lurve Umerica!!!

                          We get it, you love you country you must be a hillbilly. That's some pretty progressive thinking. Come on man. You don't have to be a hillbilly to be patriotic. You say some pretty smart stuff, but now YOU sound like the hillbilly.

                          mz. ?
                          • Posts
                          • 0 Reputation
                          ? mz. wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @kosar_for_president said:

                          We get it, you love you country you must be a hillbilly. That's some pretty progressive thinking. Come on man. You don't have to be a hillbilly to be patriotic. You say some pretty smart stuff, but now YOU sound like the hillbilly.

                          You insinuated that because I was embarrassed to be an American abroad under Bush meant I wasn't "patriotic," whatever the f that means. I'm saying one thing has nothing to do with another.

                          Kosar_For_PresidentK 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • ? Guest

                            @kosar_for_president said:

                            We get it, you love you country you must be a hillbilly. That's some pretty progressive thinking. Come on man. You don't have to be a hillbilly to be patriotic. You say some pretty smart stuff, but now YOU sound like the hillbilly.

                            You insinuated that because I was embarrassed to be an American abroad under Bush meant I wasn't "patriotic," whatever the f that means. I'm saying one thing has nothing to do with another.

                            Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
                            • 6k Posts
                            • 221 Reputation
                            Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            mz. said:

                            You insinuated that because I was embarrassed to be an American abroad under Bush meant I wasn't "patriotic," whatever the f that means. I'm saying one thing has nothing to do with another.

                            And now?

                            Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • mz. ?
                              • Posts
                              • 0 Reputation
                              ? mz. wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Vivre le Écouter!!!

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • lobstrocity L
                                • 42 Posts
                                • 0 Reputation
                                L lobstrocity wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                I would agree that I have been embarrassed to be identified as an American while traveling abroad. Everyone always questions our illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now with Obama, I feel more comfortable with being an American. Hopefully we can quickly abandon these futile wars and concentrate on social programs.

                                S 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • L lobstrocity

                                  I would agree that I have been embarrassed to be identified as an American while traveling abroad. Everyone always questions our illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now with Obama, I feel more comfortable with being an American. Hopefully we can quickly abandon these futile wars and concentrate on social programs.

                                  smalls1129 S
                                  • 210 Posts
                                  • 0 Reputation
                                  S smalls1129 wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @lobstrocity said:

                                  I would agree that I have been embarrassed to be identified as an American while traveling abroad. Everyone always questions our illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now with Obama, I feel more comfortable with being an American. Hopefully we can quickly abandon these futile wars and concentrate on social programs.

                                  'Cause we definitely don't have enough social programs. And by the way, this current President is basically following the same schedule left to him in Iraq and is amping up in Afghanistan even more. And real quick, all of Congress had the same information before the Iraq War and they voted to give him authority over the situation. By definition not illegal (unconstitutional perhaps) and if Afghanistan is illegal why aren't you railing on Obama to give it up as well.

                                  ? 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • S smalls1129

                                    @lobstrocity said:

                                    I would agree that I have been embarrassed to be identified as an American while traveling abroad. Everyone always questions our illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now with Obama, I feel more comfortable with being an American. Hopefully we can quickly abandon these futile wars and concentrate on social programs.

                                    'Cause we definitely don't have enough social programs. And by the way, this current President is basically following the same schedule left to him in Iraq and is amping up in Afghanistan even more. And real quick, all of Congress had the same information before the Iraq War and they voted to give him authority over the situation. By definition not illegal (unconstitutional perhaps) and if Afghanistan is illegal why aren't you railing on Obama to give it up as well.

                                    mz. ?
                                    • Posts
                                    • 0 Reputation
                                    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @smalls1129 said:

                                    By definition not illegal (unconstitutional perhaps) and if Afghanistan is illegal why aren't you railing on Obama to give it up as well.

                                    The wars aren't illegal per se, they're just oppressive and, well, stupid. And they make us look oppressive and, well, stupid as a country. And I'm tired of being affiliated with that oppression and stupidity.

                                    But since Obama isn't pulling anyone out just yet, this isn't where our image improves. It improves insofar as much as we are no longer attached to that fcuking idiot/criminal/scumbag/hick as the face of our nation any longer. We now have a respectable/intelligent/well-spoken face instead.

                                    S 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • ? Guest

                                      @smalls1129 said:

                                      By definition not illegal (unconstitutional perhaps) and if Afghanistan is illegal why aren't you railing on Obama to give it up as well.

                                      The wars aren't illegal per se, they're just oppressive and, well, stupid. And they make us look oppressive and, well, stupid as a country. And I'm tired of being affiliated with that oppression and stupidity.

                                      But since Obama isn't pulling anyone out just yet, this isn't where our image improves. It improves insofar as much as we are no longer attached to that fcuking idiot/criminal/scumbag/hick as the face of our nation any longer. We now have a respectable/intelligent/well-spoken face instead.

                                      smalls1129 S
                                      • 210 Posts
                                      • 0 Reputation
                                      S smalls1129 wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      mz. said:

                                      The wars aren't illegal per se, they're just oppressive and, well, stupid. And they make us look oppressive and, well, stupid as a country. And I'm tired of being affiliated with that oppression and stupidity.

                                      But since Obama isn't pulling anyone out just yet, this isn't where our image improves. It improves insofar as much as we are no longer attached to that fcuking idiot/criminal/scumbag/hick as the face of our nation any longer. We now have a respectable/intelligent/well-spoken face instead.

                                      So again you're talking about perception and not fact...and I ask you again why the fck do you care what they think? Seriously if it wasn't for us and a hick from Missouri they wouldn't exist in the fashion they do today. If you truly value yourself by how your perceived by others (particularly hypocrites who's support allows wanes when times get rough) then I pity you.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • mz. ?
                                        • Posts
                                        • 0 Reputation
                                        ? mz. wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        So I'm just perceiving Bush being a blight upon America and our REAL reputation?

                                        S 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • ? Guest

                                          So I'm just perceiving Bush being a blight upon America and our REAL reputation?

                                          smalls1129 S
                                          • 210 Posts
                                          • 0 Reputation
                                          S smalls1129 wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          mz. said:

                                          So I'm just perceiving Bush being a blight upon America and our REAL reputation?

                                          What is our REAL REPUTATION?

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better đŸ’—

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate