Skip to content

I am officially all in on Austin Davis

The Browns Board
40 17 1.2k
  • @texasag1969 said:

    Just pulling your chain Tim. If he's better then he would already be second team, not JM. Pet makes it very clear he goes with whomever is playing best regardless of draft status. That is one thing he consistently sticks to regardless of public opinion.

    Me too. ?

    I don't know if that's truly the case, though...it could just be a clever enough line to give him leeway to play guys he THINKS give us the best chance to win.

    Not saying Davis is qualified to lead or deserves a shot over Manziel, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're playing these games with McCown and Manziel only to see whether or not Manziel is worth it...but our main goal is to give Davis a shot next season after a full offseason with O'Connell.

    If Manziel rises to the occasion, great. If not, oh well, he wasn't the main plan anyway.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Me too.

    I don't know if that's truly the case, though...it could just be a clever enough line to give him leeway to play guys he THINKS give us the best chance to win.

    Not saying Davis is qualified to lead or deserves a shot over Manziel, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're playing these games with McCown and Manziel only to see whether or not Manziel is worth it...but our main goal is to give Davis a shot next season after a full offseason with O'Connell.

    If Manziel rises to the occasion, great. If not, oh well, he wasn't the main plan anyway.

    I would give this a lot of credibility......I kind of see the same thing and have thought so since Austin got that contract....

    He's the plan for "next year", if Johnny doesnt show something soon.....

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Just pulling your chain Tim. If he's better then he would already be second team, not JM. Pet makes it very clear he goes with whomever is playing best regardless of draft status. That is one thing he consistently sticks to regardless of public opinion.

    Me too. ?

    I don't know if that's truly the case, though...it could just be a clever enough line to give him leeway to play guys he THINKS give us the best chance to win.

    Not saying Davis is qualified to lead or deserves a shot over Manziel, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're playing these games with McCown and Manziel only to see whether or not Manziel is worth it...but our main goal is to give Davis a shot next season after a full offseason with O'Connell.

    If Manziel rises to the occasion, great. If not, oh well, he wasn't the main plan anyway.

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Me too.

    I don't know if that's truly the case, though...it could just be a clever enough line to give him leeway to play guys he THINKS give us the best chance to win.

    Not saying Davis is qualified to lead or deserves a shot over Manziel, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're playing these games with McCown and Manziel only to see whether or not Manziel is worth it...but our main goal is to give Davis a shot next season after a full offseason with O'Connell.

    If Manziel rises to the occasion, great. If not, oh well, he wasn't the main plan anyway.

    I agree with you. That plus CBA limits make it much harder to raise a qb now. He is getting the coaching and practice on the ps for an extended time. And for his age and experience level... I've seen a few worse than his

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Me too.

    I don't know if that's truly the case, though...it could just be a clever enough line to give him leeway to play guys he THINKS give us the best chance to win.

    Not saying Davis is qualified to lead or deserves a shot over Manziel, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're playing these games with McCown and Manziel only to see whether or not Manziel is worth it...but our main goal is to give Davis a shot next season after a full offseason with O'Connell.

    If Manziel rises to the occasion, great. If not, oh well, he wasn't the main plan anyway.

    I agree with you. That plus CBA limits make it much harder to raise a qb now. He is getting the coaching and practice on the ps for an extended time. And for his age and experience level... I've seen a few worse than his

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I agree with you. That plus CBA limits make it much harder to raise a qb now. He is getting the coaching and practice on the ps for an extended time. And for his age and experience level... I've seen a few worse than his

    Exactly. Davis is getting no real reps, he's just taking snaps on air and mimicking McCown. He can't work out with O'Connell in his own time, and can't explore outside help in-season. He runs scout reps and that's it.

    Give him an offseason with O'Connell and McCown, and he may ultimately end up our day one starter...just out of necessity.

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    I agree with you. That plus CBA limits make it much harder to raise a qb now. He is getting the coaching and practice on the ps for an extended time. And for his age and experience level... I've seen a few worse than his

    Exactly. Davis is getting no real reps, he's just taking snaps on air and mimicking McCown. He can't work out with O'Connell in his own time, and can't explore outside help in-season. He runs scout reps and that's it.

    Give him an offseason with O'Connell and McCown, and he may ultimately end up our day one starter...just out of necessity.

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Exactly. Davis is getting no real reps, he's just taking snaps on air and mimicking McCown. He can't work out with O'Connell in his own time, and can't explore outside help in-season. He runs scout reps and that's it.

    Give him an offseason with O'Connell and McCown, and he may ultimately end up our day one starter...just out of necessity.

    I can see him starting next year with Mc c backing him up. Could save picking a qb in the draft and instead get him a wr and rb to work with. I went into this season expecting a poor record and looking at it as a long miserable preseason. And the lack of practice time now is showing big time with the younger teams league wide

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Ill be honest, i enjoyed watching JM play. I was excited to see him scramble and make plays. It was the most excited ive been since week 4.

  • Browns1216B Browns1216 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    what about connor shaw? he should be back and ready to go next year, he did decent in the Baltimore game last season. I'd be interested to see more of him.

  • Ill be honest, i enjoyed watching JM play. I was excited to see him scramble and make plays. It was the most excited ive been since week 4.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @kvoethe said:

    Ill be honest, i enjoyed watching JM play. I was excited to see him scramble and make plays. It was the most excited ive been since week 4.

    Yeah....all those 3 and outs were thrilling.....

  • One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Drew Stanton would be a great choice.

  • DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Matt Cassell worth a trade next season? Probably showing my ignorance here, but it seems we either stick with the two we have or try another unless there are good QBs coming up in the Draft.

    Equally is it the QBs that have been the problem and not just our defense? Second half points given up in 9 games: 17, 14, 10, 17, 16, 13, 14, 24, 17.

    Offense had some shut outs too of course, but as Zombo has posted if our defense limited the opposition to less than 25 points we'd be looking good!

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #19

    This guy is a career backup. We should not stand pat with him. We will not make the playoffs next year with any guy on this roster. This is a huge QB year in the draft. A lot of NFL type big bodied guys, we absolutely have to land one.

  • DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I'm reading on another thread there is talent in the Draft at QB position so maybe that's our future? I'm still hoping Manziel comes good, but if height is an issue why draft him? Then again isn't Brees the same height?

  • DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Sorry Flyin just seen your comment on the Draft! Sounds promising!

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #22

    When you are as small as Manziel you HAVE to know where your windows will be and anticipation of routes is key. Manziel is struggling with this. I just dont see him ever being consistent enough. Meh, it was worth the shot in jersey sales alone (For Jimmy). Time to get what you can before his value hits the floor (if it hasnt already).

  • When you are as small as Manziel you HAVE to know where your windows will be and anticipation of routes is key. Manziel is struggling with this. I just dont see him ever being consistent enough. Meh, it was worth the shot in jersey sales alone (For Jimmy). Time to get what you can before his value hits the floor (if it hasnt already).

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @flyin-j said:

    Meh, it was worth the shot in jersey sales alone (For Jimmy).

    I keep hearing this.....Jimmy did it for ticket and Jersey sales....

    Do people not understand revenue sharing..?...

    Jimmy doesnt get any extra money for having Johnny....every team does.....it's shared equally....

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Just pulling your chain Tim. If he's better then he would already be second team, not JM. Pet makes it very clear he goes with whomever is playing best regardless of draft status. That is one thing he consistently sticks to regardless of public opinion.

    Me too. ?

    I don't know if that's truly the case, though...it could just be a clever enough line to give him leeway to play guys he THINKS give us the best chance to win.

    Not saying Davis is qualified to lead or deserves a shot over Manziel, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're playing these games with McCown and Manziel only to see whether or not Manziel is worth it...but our main goal is to give Davis a shot next season after a full offseason with O'Connell.

    If Manziel rises to the occasion, great. If not, oh well, he wasn't the main plan anyway.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #24

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Not saying Davis is qualified to lead or deserves a shot over Manziel, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're playing these games with McCown and Manziel only to see whether or not Manziel is worth it...but our main goal is to give Davis a shot next season after a full offseason with O'Connell.

    If Manziel rises to the occasion, great. If not, oh well, he wasn't the main plan anyway.

    I don't think it will take more than four more starts to decide on JM. Leaves plenty of room to take a peek at Davis.

    Shadow rep'ing the starter isn't much, but it does reinforce play knowledge. Additionally even the 3rd stringer can get throws in with WRs during drills... especially when the #1 is ailing and the #2 has an elbow on a pitch count.

    Given the above I see no reason that Davis could not be prep'd in a week for a start.

    Aside: This CBA has ridiculously hurt the quality of play. Sooner or later I expect stats are going to show it is also getting players hurt, not saving them from injury as intended.

  • One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Austin Davis sucks. May as well get Austin Powers.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Around these parts the third string quarterback is the best job in football. Sure it would be nice for anybody does step off the waiver wire to lead the team out of the cellar and into the Super Bowl. But there has to be some reason St Louis and Miami shit canned the guy.

    WSS

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    If Davis does start how many years would that be now that three QB's have started in a season? I know it would be three in a row right?

  • If Davis does start how many years would that be now that three QB's have started in a season? I know it would be three in a row right?

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @jrb12711 said:

    If Davis does start how many years would that be now that three QB's have started in a season? I know it would be three in a row right?

    I think the answer you are looking for is infinity years.

  • @flyin-j said:

    Meh, it was worth the shot in jersey sales alone (For Jimmy).

    I keep hearing this.....Jimmy did it for ticket and Jersey sales....

    Do people not understand revenue sharing..?...

    Jimmy doesnt get any extra money for having Johnny....every team does.....it's shared equally....

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @mudfly said:

    I keep hearing this.....Jimmy did it for ticket and Jersey sales....

    Do people not understand revenue sharing..?...

    Jimmy doesnt get any extra money for having Johnny....every team does.....it's shared equally....

    That's absolutely right on. The only story I can say hmmm about would be Jimmy wanting him to take the press away from the FBI investigation. Whether or not it's true, it sure had that effect