Skip to content

I am officially all in on Austin Davis

The Browns Board
40 17 1.2k
  • DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Sorry Flyin just seen your comment on the Draft! Sounds promising!

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #22

    When you are as small as Manziel you HAVE to know where your windows will be and anticipation of routes is key. Manziel is struggling with this. I just dont see him ever being consistent enough. Meh, it was worth the shot in jersey sales alone (For Jimmy). Time to get what you can before his value hits the floor (if it hasnt already).

  • When you are as small as Manziel you HAVE to know where your windows will be and anticipation of routes is key. Manziel is struggling with this. I just dont see him ever being consistent enough. Meh, it was worth the shot in jersey sales alone (For Jimmy). Time to get what you can before his value hits the floor (if it hasnt already).

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @flyin-j said:

    Meh, it was worth the shot in jersey sales alone (For Jimmy).

    I keep hearing this.....Jimmy did it for ticket and Jersey sales....

    Do people not understand revenue sharing..?...

    Jimmy doesnt get any extra money for having Johnny....every team does.....it's shared equally....

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Just pulling your chain Tim. If he's better then he would already be second team, not JM. Pet makes it very clear he goes with whomever is playing best regardless of draft status. That is one thing he consistently sticks to regardless of public opinion.

    Me too. ?

    I don't know if that's truly the case, though...it could just be a clever enough line to give him leeway to play guys he THINKS give us the best chance to win.

    Not saying Davis is qualified to lead or deserves a shot over Manziel, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're playing these games with McCown and Manziel only to see whether or not Manziel is worth it...but our main goal is to give Davis a shot next season after a full offseason with O'Connell.

    If Manziel rises to the occasion, great. If not, oh well, he wasn't the main plan anyway.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #24

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Not saying Davis is qualified to lead or deserves a shot over Manziel, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that we're playing these games with McCown and Manziel only to see whether or not Manziel is worth it...but our main goal is to give Davis a shot next season after a full offseason with O'Connell.

    If Manziel rises to the occasion, great. If not, oh well, he wasn't the main plan anyway.

    I don't think it will take more than four more starts to decide on JM. Leaves plenty of room to take a peek at Davis.

    Shadow rep'ing the starter isn't much, but it does reinforce play knowledge. Additionally even the 3rd stringer can get throws in with WRs during drills... especially when the #1 is ailing and the #2 has an elbow on a pitch count.

    Given the above I see no reason that Davis could not be prep'd in a week for a start.

    Aside: This CBA has ridiculously hurt the quality of play. Sooner or later I expect stats are going to show it is also getting players hurt, not saving them from injury as intended.

  • One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Austin Davis sucks. May as well get Austin Powers.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Around these parts the third string quarterback is the best job in football. Sure it would be nice for anybody does step off the waiver wire to lead the team out of the cellar and into the Super Bowl. But there has to be some reason St Louis and Miami shit canned the guy.

    WSS

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    If Davis does start how many years would that be now that three QB's have started in a season? I know it would be three in a row right?

  • If Davis does start how many years would that be now that three QB's have started in a season? I know it would be three in a row right?

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @jrb12711 said:

    If Davis does start how many years would that be now that three QB's have started in a season? I know it would be three in a row right?

    I think the answer you are looking for is infinity years.

  • @flyin-j said:

    Meh, it was worth the shot in jersey sales alone (For Jimmy).

    I keep hearing this.....Jimmy did it for ticket and Jersey sales....

    Do people not understand revenue sharing..?...

    Jimmy doesnt get any extra money for having Johnny....every team does.....it's shared equally....

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @mudfly said:

    I keep hearing this.....Jimmy did it for ticket and Jersey sales....

    Do people not understand revenue sharing..?...

    Jimmy doesnt get any extra money for having Johnny....every team does.....it's shared equally....

    That's absolutely right on. The only story I can say hmmm about would be Jimmy wanting him to take the press away from the FBI investigation. Whether or not it's true, it sure had that effect

  • So, I'll admit that I didn't do my due diligence on Austin Davis - I saw traits that I like when he started those few games for the Rams, but I chalked it all up to just a few lucky performances.

    However, with that said, I've been reading up and watching some film on the guy...and I have to say I am quite impressed. He has nearly every single quality that you'd want in a quarterback - production, enough athletic ability, awareness, pocket presence, elusiveness, and the elusive "clutch" factor. Davis is a very interesting prospect, and I wonder if we have a plan for him moving forward. I like everything I'm hearing about the kid, both on the field and off. Seems to work very hard, which is a trait that will help him more than any physical gifts he may have.

    Honestly, and I'm being completely serious here, I would not mind seeing an Austin Davis-run Browns offense.

    Here's some scouting reports below, I left the names off of them for fun. If you're any good, you can probably guess who is who.

    STRENGTHS Athletic and systematic in his dropback. Toward the end of his college career, he was hitting a lot of his second and third reads, a good sign when evaluating his NFL-readiness. He will need to show the ability to hit fast NFL receivers in stride on the deep ball, but shouldn't have any problems managing a West Coast offense.

    WEAKNESSES Hasn't played in many high-level games. Struggles with his deep ball at times and his arm strength has been a slow, yet steady progression throughout college. It remains to be seen whether or not he has the type of zip on his ball to hit a deep 15-yard out in the NFL.

    Summary: He is a good athlete and an accurate short-intermediate passer. Started a lot of games and has the pocket presence to stand behind an NFL line early in his career. His prospects are hurt by the general elimination of the third-string quarterback in the NFL, and if he is selected on a flier late, will likely need some time to develop on a practice squad.

    STRENGTHS Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

    WEAKNESSES Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ’99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you’d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

    Summary: Is not what you’re looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

    Bonus analysis:

    STRENGTHS Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages…Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle…Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket…Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move…Throws across his body with great consistency…Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion…Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes…Shows good judgement and keen field vision…Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure…Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity…Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains…Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center… Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

    WEAKNESSES Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun… Tends to side-arm his passes going deep…Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws… Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack…Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area…Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #30

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    So, I'll admit that I didn't do my due diligence on Austin Davis - I saw traits that I like when he started those few games for the Rams, but I chalked it all up to just a few lucky performances.

    However, with that said, I've been reading up and watching some film on the guy...and I have to say I am quite impressed. He has nearly every single quality that you'd want in a quarterback - production, enough athletic ability, awareness, pocket presence, elusiveness, and the elusive "clutch" factor. Davis is a very interesting prospect, and I wonder if we have a plan for him moving forward. I like everything I'm hearing about the kid, both on the field and off. Seems to work very hard, which is a trait that will help him more than any physical gifts he may have.

    Honestly, and I'm being completely serious here, I would not mind seeing an Austin Davis-run Browns offense.

    Here's some scouting reports below, I left the names off of them for fun. If you're any good, you can probably guess who is who.

    Bonus analysis:

    🙂 TC, those scouting reports sound like- OMG- BRIAN HOYER.

  • So, I'll admit that I didn't do my due diligence on Austin Davis - I saw traits that I like when he started those few games for the Rams, but I chalked it all up to just a few lucky performances.

    However, with that said, I've been reading up and watching some film on the guy...and I have to say I am quite impressed. He has nearly every single quality that you'd want in a quarterback - production, enough athletic ability, awareness, pocket presence, elusiveness, and the elusive "clutch" factor. Davis is a very interesting prospect, and I wonder if we have a plan for him moving forward. I like everything I'm hearing about the kid, both on the field and off. Seems to work very hard, which is a trait that will help him more than any physical gifts he may have.

    Honestly, and I'm being completely serious here, I would not mind seeing an Austin Davis-run Browns offense.

    Here's some scouting reports below, I left the names off of them for fun. If you're any good, you can probably guess who is who.

    STRENGTHS Athletic and systematic in his dropback. Toward the end of his college career, he was hitting a lot of his second and third reads, a good sign when evaluating his NFL-readiness. He will need to show the ability to hit fast NFL receivers in stride on the deep ball, but shouldn't have any problems managing a West Coast offense.

    WEAKNESSES Hasn't played in many high-level games. Struggles with his deep ball at times and his arm strength has been a slow, yet steady progression throughout college. It remains to be seen whether or not he has the type of zip on his ball to hit a deep 15-yard out in the NFL.

    Summary: He is a good athlete and an accurate short-intermediate passer. Started a lot of games and has the pocket presence to stand behind an NFL line early in his career. His prospects are hurt by the general elimination of the third-string quarterback in the NFL, and if he is selected on a flier late, will likely need some time to develop on a practice squad.

    STRENGTHS Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

    WEAKNESSES Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ’99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you’d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

    Summary: Is not what you’re looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

    Bonus analysis:

    STRENGTHS Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages…Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle…Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket…Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move…Throws across his body with great consistency…Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion…Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes…Shows good judgement and keen field vision…Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure…Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity…Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains…Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center… Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

    WEAKNESSES Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun… Tends to side-arm his passes going deep…Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws… Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack…Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area…Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Here's some scouting reports below, I left the names off of them for fun. If you're any good, you can probably guess who is who.

    @hoorta said:

    🙂 TC, those scouting reports sound like- OMG- BRIAN HOYER.

    Not sure if its 3 or 1 QB these reports are for??....I was gonna guess Austin 1, then McCown 2, then Johnny 3....?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    The state of the BrownsBoard (and the Browns) on what to Do Next: Rinse - repeat through 22+ QB's. 😆

  • The state of the BrownsBoard (and the Browns) on what to Do Next: Rinse - repeat through 22+ QB's. 😆

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @texasag1969 said:

    The state of the BrownsBoard (and the Browns) on what to Do Next: Rinse - repeat through 22+ QB's. 😆

    ....AND 6-7 coaches.....AND several FO's.....and even 3 owners.....cant say we are not consistent....

    But......I do love that commercial.....its a good one!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    The state of the BrownsBoard (and the Browns) on what to Do Next: Rinse - repeat through 22+ QB's. 😆

    ....AND 6-7 coaches.....AND several FO's.....and even 3 owners.....cant say we are not consistent....

    But......I do love that commercial.....its a good one!

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @mudfly said:

    ....AND 6-7 coaches.....AND several FO's.....and even 3 owners.....cant say we are not consistent....

    But......I do love that commercial.....its a good one!

    You can just barely hear them mention the cemetery at the end. I guess the move to Baltimore qualified there. LOL 😁

  • The state of the BrownsBoard (and the Browns) on what to Do Next: Rinse - repeat through 22+ QB's. 😆

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @texasag1969 said:

    The state of the BrownsBoard (and the Browns) on what to Do Next: Rinse - repeat through 22+ QB's. 😆

    If we had found one worth a damn, we wouldn't have to do th cycle.

    Alas.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    The state of the BrownsBoard (and the Browns) on what to Do Next: Rinse - repeat through 22+ QB's. 😆

    If we had found one worth a damn, we wouldn't have to do th cycle.

    Alas.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If we had found one worth a damn, we wouldn't have to do th cycle.

    Alas.

    unfortunately 'we' have nothing to do with the decision making aspect of our fave team.

    actually that's prob a good thing....

    imagine ghoulie's roster.

    uff.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Austin Davis is now the Don Strock & Kelly Holcomb in waiting. Who knows till we get him on the gameday field. Today just could be that day..

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If we had found one worth a damn, we wouldn't have to do th cycle.

    Alas.

    unfortunately 'we' have nothing to do with the decision making aspect of our fave team.

    actually that's prob a good thing....

    imagine ghoulie's roster.

    uff.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @miktoxic said:

    unfortunately 'we' have nothing to do with the decision making aspect of our fave team.

    actually that's prob a good thing....

    imagine ghoulie's roster.

    uff.

    It would be all Joe Thomas'.

    He loves offensive linemen, he's just too scared to admit it.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    The state of the BrownsBoard (and the Browns) on what to Do Next: Rinse - repeat through 22+ QB's. 😆

    If we had found one worth a damn, we wouldn't have to do th cycle.

    Alas.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If we had found one worth a damn, we wouldn't have to do th cycle.

    Alas.

    Well Tim-did you find him today? Give him a D and some real franchise WR's - sit back and watch.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Yeah good. Austin davis I like him. I'd seriously jettison old man mccown and keep him and manziel.