Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Power5 drafting policy

Power5 drafting policy

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
52 Posts 13 Posters 1.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Someone mentioned on TV that the Bengals have a policy of drafting people from only the Big Schools....Power5 conference schools....and that is what has lead to much of their success in acquiring talent.

    I don't know if that is it. Certainly in the Browns case they have drafted plenty of players from the P5 conferences that have turned bust. So it can't be that simple.

    So, what I did was look at all the Browns draft choices from 2006 and beyond to see how many came from Non P5 conferences. Following is the list, but note, in this time frame the Browns have made 80 draft picks, 62 of which were players from the P5 programs. Here are the 18 non P5 players taken:

    Round..........Player........School

    2...Joel Bitonio....Nevada

    3...Terrence West...Towson St.

    4...Pierre Desir....Lindenwood

    3...Leon McFadden...San Diego St.

    7...Armonty Bryant...E. Central Oklahoma

    7...Garrett Gilkey...Chadron St.

    4...James Michael Johnson...Nevada

    6...Billy Winn...Boise St.

    5...Buster Skrine...Tenn.-Chattanooga

    6...Charlton Mitchell...South Florida

    2...David Veikune...Hawaii

    6...Don Carey....Norfolk St.

    6...Coye Francies...San Jose St.

    4...Beau Bell...UNLV

    7...Alex Hall...St. Augustines

    2...Eric Wright...UNLV

    5...Brandon McDonald...Memphis

    6...Melia Purcell....Hawaii

    Note: ALL 12 of the 2015 picks of the Browns came from schools in the P5 conferences.

    So, as I see it, in 10 years of drafting, they took 8 players in the 4th round or higher from Non P5 schools. Some came out good: Bitonio, Wright. Some sucked swamp water: Veikune, McFadden

    Anything 5th round or below should be considered a crapshoot, big school or not. And we had some decent picks there: Skrine, Winn, A. Bryant.

    So, what should the policy be? All P5? Bad mistakes can be made there as well....hello TR....Hello Vince Mayle.....hello Greg Little.....hello Montario Hardesty....hello Brian Robiskie...hello Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden.

    MudflyM 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The GipperT The Gipper

      Someone mentioned on TV that the Bengals have a policy of drafting people from only the Big Schools....Power5 conference schools....and that is what has lead to much of their success in acquiring talent.

      I don't know if that is it. Certainly in the Browns case they have drafted plenty of players from the P5 conferences that have turned bust. So it can't be that simple.

      So, what I did was look at all the Browns draft choices from 2006 and beyond to see how many came from Non P5 conferences. Following is the list, but note, in this time frame the Browns have made 80 draft picks, 62 of which were players from the P5 programs. Here are the 18 non P5 players taken:

      Round..........Player........School

      2...Joel Bitonio....Nevada

      3...Terrence West...Towson St.

      4...Pierre Desir....Lindenwood

      3...Leon McFadden...San Diego St.

      7...Armonty Bryant...E. Central Oklahoma

      7...Garrett Gilkey...Chadron St.

      4...James Michael Johnson...Nevada

      6...Billy Winn...Boise St.

      5...Buster Skrine...Tenn.-Chattanooga

      6...Charlton Mitchell...South Florida

      2...David Veikune...Hawaii

      6...Don Carey....Norfolk St.

      6...Coye Francies...San Jose St.

      4...Beau Bell...UNLV

      7...Alex Hall...St. Augustines

      2...Eric Wright...UNLV

      5...Brandon McDonald...Memphis

      6...Melia Purcell....Hawaii

      Note: ALL 12 of the 2015 picks of the Browns came from schools in the P5 conferences.

      So, as I see it, in 10 years of drafting, they took 8 players in the 4th round or higher from Non P5 schools. Some came out good: Bitonio, Wright. Some sucked swamp water: Veikune, McFadden

      Anything 5th round or below should be considered a crapshoot, big school or not. And we had some decent picks there: Skrine, Winn, A. Bryant.

      So, what should the policy be? All P5? Bad mistakes can be made there as well....hello TR....Hello Vince Mayle.....hello Greg Little.....hello Montario Hardesty....hello Brian Robiskie...hello Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden.

      Mudfly MudflyM Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 7k Posts
      • 1k Reputation
      MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @the-gipper said:

      So, what should the policy be? All P5? Bad mistakes can be made there as well....

      I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

      L gftChrisG 2 Replies Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • MudflyM Mudfly

        @the-gipper said:

        So, what should the policy be? All P5? Bad mistakes can be made there as well....

        I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

        LondonBrown L Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 4k Posts
        • 918 Reputation
        L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @mudfly said:

        I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

        Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

        gftChrisG MudflyM Canton DawgC 3 Replies Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • MudflyM Mudfly

          @the-gipper said:

          So, what should the policy be? All P5? Bad mistakes can be made there as well....

          I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

          gftChris gftChrisG
          • 13k Posts
          • 428 Reputation
          gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @mudfly said:

          I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

          Yep. No need to favour one conference over another, though it's of course a factor when comparing opponent talent level.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • L LondonBrown

            @mudfly said:

            I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

            Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

            gftChris gftChrisG
            • 13k Posts
            • 428 Reputation
            gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @londonbrown said:

            Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

            To a degree, but there are a lot of things that you can transfer across, particularly in the measurables. Speed, agility - how quickly can a DB change direction, how big of a jam on the line can they get, how quickly can they transition from backpedal to sprinting forwards.

            Other things as well might be harder, but can still be evaluated. Like, how good is a pass rushers swim move - you can have a 10/10 technique and get by D2 linemen, or you can have 6/10 technique and get by D2 linemen. You can succeed against weaker opponents by just being faster and stronger, but you can also evaluate when a RB shows patience waiting for the play to develop, because his OL is probably comparable in talent to the opposition DL; just because you're terrance west, doesn't mean your OL is going to all of a sudden be also dominant at that level.

            Then there's QB play...

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • L LondonBrown

              @mudfly said:

              I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

              Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

              Mudfly MudflyM Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 7k Posts
              • 1k Reputation
              MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @londonbrown said:

              Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

              Of course, but Ill just defer to Chris's answer cause it covers it well......talent is talent, no matter what the competition.....and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

              L T 2 Replies Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • flyingfooldoug flyingfooldougF One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 4k Posts
                • 728 Reputation
                flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
                #7

                we've sure things go bust and sure busts make it(udfa). you could probably number your top 6 choices and roll a die and have the same chance of getting a hit as using all the other systems. ouija board anyone?...lol

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • MudflyM Mudfly

                  @londonbrown said:

                  Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

                  Of course, but Ill just defer to Chris's answer cause it covers it well......talent is talent, no matter what the competition.....and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

                  LondonBrown L Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 4k Posts
                  • 918 Reputation
                  L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
                  #8

                  @mudfly said:

                  Of course, but Ill just defer to Chris's answer cause it covers it well......talent is talent, no matter what the competition.....and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

                  @gftchris said:

                  To a degree, but there are a lot of things that you can transfer across, particularly in the measurables. Speed, agility - how quickly can a DB change direction, how big of a jam on the line can they get, how quickly can they transition from backpedal to sprinting forwards.

                  Other things as well might be harder, but can still be evaluated. Like, how good is a pass rushers swim move - you can have a 10/10 technique and get by D2 linemen, or you can have 6/10 technique and get by D2 linemen. You can succeed against weaker opponents by just being faster and stronger, but you can also evaluate when a RB shows patience waiting for the play to develop, because his OL is probably comparable in talent to the opposition DL; just because you're terrance west, doesn't mean your OL is going to all of a sudden be also dominant at that level.

                  Then there's QB play...

                  Cheers that all makes sense.

                  Scouting college players for a NFL team must be one of the great jobs.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                    • 24k Posts
                    • 1k Reputation
                    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

                    L The GipperT 2 Replies Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • C Clevfan4life

                      I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

                      LondonBrown L Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 4k Posts
                      • 918 Reputation
                      L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @clevfan4life said:

                      I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

                      I would agree with that, Bitonio for instance had some good games versus some of the highly rated pass rushers I believe?

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • MudflyM Mudfly

                        @londonbrown said:

                        Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

                        Of course, but Ill just defer to Chris's answer cause it covers it well......talent is talent, no matter what the competition.....and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

                        TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 23k Posts
                        • 6k Reputation
                        T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
                        #11

                        @mudfly said:

                        ......and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

                        I thought we was the pros! 😉😆

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • L LondonBrown

                          @mudfly said:

                          I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

                          Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

                          Canton Dawg Canton DawgC Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                          • 12k Posts
                          • 7k Reputation
                          Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @londonbrown said:

                          Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

                          Khalil Mack would think otherwise.

                          Two things that will define you: Your determination when you have nothing. Your attitude when you have everything. - Mike McCartney
                          MudflyM 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg

                            @londonbrown said:

                            Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

                            Khalil Mack would think otherwise.

                            Mudfly MudflyM Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Dedicated One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 7k Posts
                            • 1k Reputation
                            MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @canton-dawg said:

                            Khalil Mack would think otherwise.

                            Exactly.....he is the perfect example of a small school player who a lot of people discounted only because of where he played...

                            BUT....he did have a MONSTER game against Ohio State and I remember a lot of folks saying thats all they needed to trust his talent....so, while some said it was just one game....others said WOW, he's up to the task....

                            C The GipperT Canton DawgC 3 Replies Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • wargograw W One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 5k Posts
                              • 363 Reputation
                              W wargograw wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              The bar for a kid should be higher if he's not from a P5 school. It's that simple. I'm not saying don't ever take them, but that's my policy.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • Flyin J Flyin JF One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 2k Posts
                                • 114 Reputation
                                Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by Flyin J
                                #15

                                Id go one further, and in the top 4 rounds only draft from schools who are winning big recently. Id stick primarily to OSU, MSU, ALA, AUB, GA, FSU, MISS, WIS, OKL, CLEM and ORE. These players will typically be top recruits from high school who showed they can play on a big stage. I want guys in the later rounds who have top notch athleticism and may have dropped for off the field reasons.

                                The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • MudflyM Mudfly

                                  @canton-dawg said:

                                  Khalil Mack would think otherwise.

                                  Exactly.....he is the perfect example of a small school player who a lot of people discounted only because of where he played...

                                  BUT....he did have a MONSTER game against Ohio State and I remember a lot of folks saying thats all they needed to trust his talent....so, while some said it was just one game....others said WOW, he's up to the task....

                                  Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                                  • 24k Posts
                                  • 1k Reputation
                                  C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @mudfly said:

                                  Exactly.....he is the perfect example of a small school player who a lot of people discounted only because of where he played...

                                  BUT....he did have a MONSTER game against Ohio State and I remember a lot of folks saying thats all they needed to trust his talent....so, while some said it was just one game....others said WOW, he's up to the task....

                                  That game put him on the map. If not for that game he would have been at best a late rounder most likely high 2nd round. He "abused" the OH St offensive line.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • DeputyDawg DeputyDawgD
                                    • 150 Posts
                                    • 2 Reputation
                                    DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    That's great research Gipper! Thanks for that. Gut reaction from me is that your HC knows the type of player he thinks the team is missing and the type of player he wants on the team- physique, mentality, agility etc. For example Erving, Johnson and Orchard I'm not sure were many pundits choices for the Browns when they were picked- especially Erving. We had the chance for Bud Dupree who I was hoping we would pick as I thought we needed a pass rusher. Anyway its a great game, the best in the world!

                                    Can you help explain what gftChris means by a 10/10 technique and a 6/10 technique please? Thanks.

                                    Loyaultie me Lie. If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor!
                                    gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg

                                      That's great research Gipper! Thanks for that. Gut reaction from me is that your HC knows the type of player he thinks the team is missing and the type of player he wants on the team- physique, mentality, agility etc. For example Erving, Johnson and Orchard I'm not sure were many pundits choices for the Browns when they were picked- especially Erving. We had the chance for Bud Dupree who I was hoping we would pick as I thought we needed a pass rusher. Anyway its a great game, the best in the world!

                                      Can you help explain what gftChris means by a 10/10 technique and a 6/10 technique please? Thanks.

                                      gftChris gftChrisG
                                      • 13k Posts
                                      • 428 Reputation
                                      gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @deputydawg said:

                                      That's great research Gipper! Thanks for that. Gut reaction from me is that your HC knows the type of player he thinks the team is missing and the type of player he wants on the team- physique, mentality, agility etc. For example Erving, Johnson and Orchard I'm not sure were many pundits choices for the Browns when they were picked- especially Erving. We had the chance for Bud Dupree who I was hoping we would pick as I thought we needed a pass rusher. Anyway its a great game, the best in the world!

                                      Can you help explain what gftChris means by a 10/10 technique and a 6/10 technique please? Thanks.

                                      Just a grade out of 10. You could be JJ watt and dominate D2 OL or you could be Paul Kruger and do the same. It's in the technique that you see how the player will translate to the pros.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • DeputyDawg DeputyDawgD
                                        • 150 Posts
                                        • 2 Reputation
                                        DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        Cheers mate! And sorry to be a pain, but is D2 defensive secondary then?

                                        Loyaultie me Lie. If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor!
                                        gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • C Clevfan4life

                                          I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

                                          The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                          • 57k Posts
                                          • 4k Reputation
                                          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @clevfan4life said:

                                          I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

                                          I know that some of these guys from smaller schools get invites to play in the Senior Bowl......which is run by NFL coaches and scouts. So a number of them that get drafted highly are because they have displayed their wares against the best of the big school players and have held their own....in practice and in the game.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate