Skip to content

Power5 drafting policy

The Browns Board
52 13 1.4k
  • @the-gipper said:

    So, what should the policy be? All P5? Bad mistakes can be made there as well....

    I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

    @mudfly said:

    I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

    Yep. No need to favour one conference over another, though it's of course a factor when comparing opponent talent level.

  • @mudfly said:

    I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

    Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

    @londonbrown said:

    Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

    To a degree, but there are a lot of things that you can transfer across, particularly in the measurables. Speed, agility - how quickly can a DB change direction, how big of a jam on the line can they get, how quickly can they transition from backpedal to sprinting forwards.

    Other things as well might be harder, but can still be evaluated. Like, how good is a pass rushers swim move - you can have a 10/10 technique and get by D2 linemen, or you can have 6/10 technique and get by D2 linemen. You can succeed against weaker opponents by just being faster and stronger, but you can also evaluate when a RB shows patience waiting for the play to develop, because his OL is probably comparable in talent to the opposition DL; just because you're terrance west, doesn't mean your OL is going to all of a sudden be also dominant at that level.

    Then there's QB play...

  • @mudfly said:

    I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

    Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

    @londonbrown said:

    Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

    Of course, but Ill just defer to Chris's answer cause it covers it well......talent is talent, no matter what the competition.....and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

  • we've sure things go bust and sure busts make it(udfa). you could probably number your top 6 choices and roll a die and have the same chance of getting a hit as using all the other systems. ouija board anyone?...lol

  • @londonbrown said:

    Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

    Of course, but Ill just defer to Chris's answer cause it covers it well......talent is talent, no matter what the competition.....and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

    @mudfly said:

    Of course, but Ill just defer to Chris's answer cause it covers it well......talent is talent, no matter what the competition.....and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

    @gftchris said:

    To a degree, but there are a lot of things that you can transfer across, particularly in the measurables. Speed, agility - how quickly can a DB change direction, how big of a jam on the line can they get, how quickly can they transition from backpedal to sprinting forwards.

    Other things as well might be harder, but can still be evaluated. Like, how good is a pass rushers swim move - you can have a 10/10 technique and get by D2 linemen, or you can have 6/10 technique and get by D2 linemen. You can succeed against weaker opponents by just being faster and stronger, but you can also evaluate when a RB shows patience waiting for the play to develop, because his OL is probably comparable in talent to the opposition DL; just because you're terrance west, doesn't mean your OL is going to all of a sudden be also dominant at that level.

    Then there's QB play...

    Cheers that all makes sense.

    Scouting college players for a NFL team must be one of the great jobs.

  • I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

  • I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

    @clevfan4life said:

    I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

    I would agree with that, Bitonio for instance had some good games versus some of the highly rated pass rushers I believe?

  • @londonbrown said:

    Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

    Of course, but Ill just defer to Chris's answer cause it covers it well......talent is talent, no matter what the competition.....and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

    @mudfly said:

    ......and its up to the Pro's to sort that out.....

    I thought we was the pros! 😉😆

  • @mudfly said:

    I'd say there shouldn't be a "policy" on where they come from....just draft whoever you feel is the best player.....period.

    Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

    @londonbrown said:

    Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

    Khalil Mack would think otherwise.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Most scouts and GM's will be using the strength of opposition heavily in their evaluations though I would think?

    Khalil Mack would think otherwise.

    @canton-dawg said:

    Khalil Mack would think otherwise.

    Exactly.....he is the perfect example of a small school player who a lot of people discounted only because of where he played...

    BUT....he did have a MONSTER game against Ohio State and I remember a lot of folks saying thats all they needed to trust his talent....so, while some said it was just one game....others said WOW, he's up to the task....

  • The bar for a kid should be higher if he's not from a P5 school. It's that simple. I'm not saying don't ever take them, but that's my policy.

  • Id go one further, and in the top 4 rounds only draft from schools who are winning big recently. Id stick primarily to OSU, MSU, ALA, AUB, GA, FSU, MISS, WIS, OKL, CLEM and ORE. These players will typically be top recruits from high school who showed they can play on a big stage. I want guys in the later rounds who have top notch athleticism and may have dropped for off the field reasons.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Khalil Mack would think otherwise.

    Exactly.....he is the perfect example of a small school player who a lot of people discounted only because of where he played...

    BUT....he did have a MONSTER game against Ohio State and I remember a lot of folks saying thats all they needed to trust his talent....so, while some said it was just one game....others said WOW, he's up to the task....

    @mudfly said:

    Exactly.....he is the perfect example of a small school player who a lot of people discounted only because of where he played...

    BUT....he did have a MONSTER game against Ohio State and I remember a lot of folks saying thats all they needed to trust his talent....so, while some said it was just one game....others said WOW, he's up to the task....

    That game put him on the map. If not for that game he would have been at best a late rounder most likely high 2nd round. He "abused" the OH St offensive line.

  • That's great research Gipper! Thanks for that. Gut reaction from me is that your HC knows the type of player he thinks the team is missing and the type of player he wants on the team- physique, mentality, agility etc. For example Erving, Johnson and Orchard I'm not sure were many pundits choices for the Browns when they were picked- especially Erving. We had the chance for Bud Dupree who I was hoping we would pick as I thought we needed a pass rusher. Anyway its a great game, the best in the world!

    Can you help explain what gftChris means by a 10/10 technique and a 6/10 technique please? Thanks.

  • That's great research Gipper! Thanks for that. Gut reaction from me is that your HC knows the type of player he thinks the team is missing and the type of player he wants on the team- physique, mentality, agility etc. For example Erving, Johnson and Orchard I'm not sure were many pundits choices for the Browns when they were picked- especially Erving. We had the chance for Bud Dupree who I was hoping we would pick as I thought we needed a pass rusher. Anyway its a great game, the best in the world!

    Can you help explain what gftChris means by a 10/10 technique and a 6/10 technique please? Thanks.

    @deputydawg said:

    That's great research Gipper! Thanks for that. Gut reaction from me is that your HC knows the type of player he thinks the team is missing and the type of player he wants on the team- physique, mentality, agility etc. For example Erving, Johnson and Orchard I'm not sure were many pundits choices for the Browns when they were picked- especially Erving. We had the chance for Bud Dupree who I was hoping we would pick as I thought we needed a pass rusher. Anyway its a great game, the best in the world!

    Can you help explain what gftChris means by a 10/10 technique and a 6/10 technique please? Thanks.

    Just a grade out of 10. You could be JJ watt and dominate D2 OL or you could be Paul Kruger and do the same. It's in the technique that you see how the player will translate to the pros.

  • Cheers mate! And sorry to be a pain, but is D2 defensive secondary then?

  • I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

    @clevfan4life said:

    I kind of agree with it though. Yeah you might find some amazing wkt warriors in smaller schools, but you never see film of them against elite opposition. If there is film of some kid from a smaller school playing against the big boys and he excels, ok now you've got something. I personally would never use a high draft pick on someone that I don't see film of in college playing against the upper echelon of talent. Won't do it. I'll use the later rounds for the kids from smaller schools that I feel I may be able to develop.,

    I know that some of these guys from smaller schools get invites to play in the Senior Bowl......which is run by NFL coaches and scouts. So a number of them that get drafted highly are because they have displayed their wares against the best of the big school players and have held their own....in practice and in the game.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Khalil Mack would think otherwise.

    Exactly.....he is the perfect example of a small school player who a lot of people discounted only because of where he played...

    BUT....he did have a MONSTER game against Ohio State and I remember a lot of folks saying thats all they needed to trust his talent....so, while some said it was just one game....others said WOW, he's up to the task....

    @mudfly said:

    Exactly.....he is the perfect example of a small school player who a lot of people discounted only because of where he played...

    BUT....he did have a MONSTER game against Ohio State and I remember a lot of folks saying thats all they needed to trust his talent....so, while some said it was just one game....others said WOW, he's up to the task....

    And the Browns should have taken him instead of trading down for Gilbert.....in hindsight.

  • Cheers mate! And sorry to be a pain, but is D2 defensive secondary then?

    @deputydawg said:

    Cheers mate! And sorry to be a pain, but is D2 defensive secondary then?

    Division two college school. British by any chance?
  • Id go one further, and in the top 4 rounds only draft from schools who are winning big recently. Id stick primarily to OSU, MSU, ALA, AUB, GA, FSU, MISS, WIS, OKL, CLEM and ORE. These players will typically be top recruits from high school who showed they can play on a big stage. I want guys in the later rounds who have top notch athleticism and may have dropped for off the field reasons.

    @flyin-j said:

    Id go one further, and in the top 4 rounds only draft from schools who are winning big recently. Id stick primarily to OSU, MSU, ALA, AUB, GA, FSU, MISS, WIS, OKL, CLEM and ORE. These players will typically be top recruits from high school who showed they can play on a big stage. I want guys in the later rounds who have top notch athleticism and may have dropped for off the field reasons.

    Supposedly the Bengals philosophy is to take the players from the big schools because they have played in the spotlight.....in front of huge crowds and on National TV and in pressure situations.