Skip to content

Power5 drafting policy

The Browns Board
52 13 1.4k
  • Guess I will have to stay with my sister in High Wycombe. Funny story there. Much to her husband's chagrin, he did not even know she was American until after he had proposed. Went to Venezuela at age 6 and speaks near perfect Venezuelan Spanish, South African English, Afrikaans and Londonese whatever that is. All with no foreign accents. Just to prove to him where she came from she slipped into her Texas drawl. He had made the mistake of not meeting her until she had lived/worked in London about 6 months. That's all it takes her to pick up any language or dialect. I'm sure when she goes to Spain with us in a couple of years she will be lisping that Castilian Spanish within the first week. I will still sound like a back-jungle 50 years rusty Venezolano.

  • Well if the Browns come to London I will be there, but I sure hope it ain't a home game! Maybe some of us from this board could meet at the Hippodrome as you say, but definitely not the next one!! My brother is a Bengals fanatic and was the one who first introduced me to the Browns back in the 90's so he would come along too.

  • Take the best player available at any position. Its a new GM's dream when the scouting is done properly.

  • I'd would do it in reverse. The first couple of rounds, the player can come from any school. As you get deeper in to the draft, I only select players from the power 5 as they have played against better competition.

  • Well if the Browns come to London I will be there, but I sure hope it ain't a home game! Maybe some of us from this board could meet at the Hippodrome as you say, but definitely not the next one!! My brother is a Bengals fanatic and was the one who first introduced me to the Browns back in the 90's so he would come along too.

    @deputydawg said:

    Well if the Browns come to London I will be there, but I sure hope it ain't a home game! Maybe some of us from this board could meet at the Hippodrome as you say, but definitely not the next one!! My brother is a Bengals fanatic and was the one who first introduced me to the Browns back in the 90's so he would come along too.

    You and gftchris let me know when you want to do this, I know someone in the casino industry who should be able to get us a table and a few perks for the evening at Hippodrome.

  • Sounds like we have a plan coming to fruition soon! Nice one LondonBrown.

  • There's some others on here I'm sure that could make the small jounrey - Howie and the gang that normally travel over once a year maybe?

  • @deputydawg said:

    Cheers gftChris. Season ticket holder for West Ham Utd mate. Essex is Hammers country. You?

    Villa. Not sure what I did to deserve both them and the browns.

    @gftchris said:

    Villa. Not sure what I did to deserve both them and the browns.

    You Randy Lerner's cousin?

    I see AV is like in last place......doesn't that mean relegation to the "minor leagues"? We are just lucky we don't have that system here....as RAndy would have gotten the Browns relegated long ago.

  • I mean seriously, if the browns aren't stolen from Cleveland, we have Ozzie Newsome as GM and Bill Belichick as HC. Fuck. Fucking fucking Art Modell.

    @gftchris said:

    I mean seriously, if the browns aren't stolen from Cleveland, we have Ozzie Newsome as GM and Bill Belichick as HC. Fuck. Fucking fucking Art Modell.

    That is too simplistic to conclude. Butterfly effect and all that.

  • I'd would do it in reverse. The first couple of rounds, the player can come from any school. As you get deeper in to the draft, I only select players from the power 5 as they have played against better competition.

    @ballpeen said:

    I'd would do it in reverse. The first couple of rounds, the player can come from any school. As you get deeper in to the draft, I only select players from the power 5 as they have played against better competition.

    Interesting. Though note, like I said, this past season, all 12 draftees were from P5 schools. Not sure if Farmer was following a "big school philosophy or not.

  • There's some others on here I'm sure that could make the small jounrey - Howie and the gang that normally travel over once a year maybe?

    @gftchris said:

    There's some others on here I'm sure that could make the small jounrey - Howie and the gang that normally travel over once a year maybe?

    Yes, they do. Howie, Gareth, Kmac. You should connect with them. Health issues prevented some from coming this year, but hopefully next year they will be back on track. (not that the Browns will be)

  • Would be great to meet all those guys.

  • London Bengal did some research on the Bungals drafting strategy which I think is very useful to know so I'm passing it on, as it was asked originally. I'm not claiming credit for this.

    They pick a lot from SEC- 34 picks out of 89. These are split evenly between SEC East and West, mainly West in the last 5 drafts. Next biggest is PAC 12 with 19 picks. PAC 10 has 15 picks and their go to colleges seem to be Michigan and Michigan State. Big 12 has 15 picks, but half of those came in 2010-11.They only picked 2 low round draft picks from Ohio since 2003. Last is Atlantic Coast with 11 picks. When they pick from USC they tend to hit pay check. Recent years they have gone to TCU- once for Dalton and again this year. Is this a scout that knows the Division well? They also do well picking from Rutgers so obviously another good scout in the region?

    So their traditional hunting grounds are SEC and Big 10 East. In SEC their most successful drafts have been with Georgia and LSU and in Big 10 with Michigan State. They also seem to have drafted well from Atlantic Coast in recent years.

    In the Marvin era (2003-) 75.42% drafted from Power 5 and 35 picks have been successes (open to opinion) which gives a 32% success rate for Power 5 drafting. 66% are taken in the first 3 rounds. Their drafting skills has got better over time so this % will be higher more recently.

    Also what makes a good draft? For example if a player is drafted, sees out his contract and then leaves in FA how good a draft is that? If someone is excellent, but is ruined by injury/drugs how good a draft is that considered?