Skip to content

Browns RB Coach Wilbert Montgomery Interview

The Browns Board
50 21 1.9k
  • So only highly drafted guys can become bellcow backs? Got it.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #36

    @gftchris said:

    So only highly drafted guys can become bellcow backs? Got it.

    This is sort of a Ghoolie mindset- you can find quality OL in the parking lot before a game. Ditto that with RB. True enough, you can find quality running backs later- but the really good ones, that are more than one year sensations, are usually found in the first three rounds.

    @mudfly said:

    In fairness to him......he hired 11 guys in 13 days.....and had, basically, a pile of recently fired crap to pick them from.....

    Imagine taking over a company and having only 2 weeks to assemble your whole staff....and you can only pick from the unemployment line......

    How good is that staff gonna be?.....And how long do they get to perform, before you start replacing them?.....

    I will say I didnt hear one single peep about the coaches or staff until a few weeks ago....If they are SO terrible and it's so obvious to everyone now, why was no one talking about this before?... ..

    A few months ago, we all loved these guys.....and suddenly....."everyone" says they are all bad......sounds like mob mentality to me

    An experienced OC or DC would have helped, but there was none available. 😕

    RE: Wilbert: I didn't know anything about Turbin, we picked him up and I didn't get a chance to work with him, so therefore it was new to me to putting him in there. We talk about his problems, because he carried the ball low. When you carry the ball low, you're going to have that fumbling problem.''

    Does that sound competent to you?

    @mudfly said:

    Like I said....Armonty and Orchard are getting double the snaps they were getting before.....the team HAS to mix up the looks and coverages to be effective......that means rushing from different angles and with different players(and looks),,,,,otherwise we are predictable and easier to beat....

    So, Kruger still gets some reps....as do Armonty and Orchard....they are trying to find the best combo and best players....thats all they can do.....

    Id say you are just convinced it's all on the coaches and really not interested in looking at the facts...numbers....or players.....

    We only have 4 olbs.....so they ALL have to play....thats just the way it is....

    Great analysis on Kruger Mud. Now would some cap guru explain to me what the cap hit is going to be next year if we cut him? Because he sure as hell isn't worth $7 million. Picking him up can't be blamed on Farmer either.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/paul-kruger/

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Zeke's much better than Henry. Henry will be average in the NFL unless he becomes a whole new man like Le'veon Bell did (no I'm not trolling you steeler fans).

  • @gftchris said:

    So only highly drafted guys can become bellcow backs? Got it.

    This is sort of a Ghoolie mindset- you can find quality OL in the parking lot before a game. Ditto that with RB. True enough, you can find quality running backs later- but the really good ones, that are more than one year sensations, are usually found in the first three rounds.

    @mudfly said:

    In fairness to him......he hired 11 guys in 13 days.....and had, basically, a pile of recently fired crap to pick them from.....

    Imagine taking over a company and having only 2 weeks to assemble your whole staff....and you can only pick from the unemployment line......

    How good is that staff gonna be?.....And how long do they get to perform, before you start replacing them?.....

    I will say I didnt hear one single peep about the coaches or staff until a few weeks ago....If they are SO terrible and it's so obvious to everyone now, why was no one talking about this before?... ..

    A few months ago, we all loved these guys.....and suddenly....."everyone" says they are all bad......sounds like mob mentality to me

    An experienced OC or DC would have helped, but there was none available. 😕

    RE: Wilbert: I didn't know anything about Turbin, we picked him up and I didn't get a chance to work with him, so therefore it was new to me to putting him in there. We talk about his problems, because he carried the ball low. When you carry the ball low, you're going to have that fumbling problem.''

    Does that sound competent to you?

    @mudfly said:

    Like I said....Armonty and Orchard are getting double the snaps they were getting before.....the team HAS to mix up the looks and coverages to be effective......that means rushing from different angles and with different players(and looks),,,,,otherwise we are predictable and easier to beat....

    So, Kruger still gets some reps....as do Armonty and Orchard....they are trying to find the best combo and best players....thats all they can do.....

    Id say you are just convinced it's all on the coaches and really not interested in looking at the facts...numbers....or players.....

    We only have 4 olbs.....so they ALL have to play....thats just the way it is....

    Great analysis on Kruger Mud. Now would some cap guru explain to me what the cap hit is going to be next year if we cut him? Because he sure as hell isn't worth $7 million. Picking him up can't be blamed on Farmer either.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/paul-kruger/

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @hoorta said:

    Great analysis on Kruger Mud. Now would some cap guru explain to me what the cap hit is going to be next year if we cut him? Because he sure as hell isn't worth $7 million. Picking him up can't be blamed on Farmer either.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/paul-kruger/

    Even scarier.....he is the 4th highest paid OLB in the league.....

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/outside-linebacker/

  • Like I said....Armonty and Orchard are getting double the snaps they were getting before.....the team HAS to mix up the looks and coverages to be effective......that means rushing from different angles and with different players(and looks),,,,,otherwise we are predictable and easier to beat....

    So, Kruger still gets some reps....as do Armonty and Orchard....they are trying to find the best combo and best players....thats all they can do.....

    Id say you are just convinced it's all on the coaches and really not interested in looking at the facts...numbers....or players.....

    We only have 4 olbs.....so they ALL have to play....thats just the way it is....

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @mudfly said:

    Like I said....Armonty and Orchard are getting double the snaps they were getting before.....the team HAS to mix up the looks and coverages to be effective......that means rushing from different angles and with different players(and looks),,,,,otherwise we are predictable and easier to beat....

    So, Kruger still gets some reps....as do Armonty and Orchard....they are trying to find the best combo and best players....thats all they can do.....

    Id say you are just convinced it's all on the coaches and really not interested in looking at the facts...numbers....or players.....

    We only have 4 olbs.....so they ALL have to play....thats just the way it is....

    And the lack of safety blitzes are all a concern.. Safeties are usually , if not the fastest guys on defense.. WTF are Pet and comp. thinking?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Or Henry if we take Bosa 1st. Elliot will already be gone.

    I would prefer Henry. The guy is a horse.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @logicisforsquares said:

    I would prefer Henry. The guy is a horse.

    Should one argue with Logic? Prolly not a good idea but in spite of Zeke's ill-advised post game comments - I still think he would be a terrific fit for us.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    I would prefer Henry. The guy is a horse.

    Should one argue with Logic? Prolly not a good idea but in spite of Zeke's ill-advised post game comments - I still think he would be a terrific fit for us.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @flugel said:

    Should one argue with Logic? Prolly not a good idea but in spite of Zeke's ill-advised post game comments - I still think he would be a terrific fit for us.

    Why does it seem like everyone is making a big deal out of his comments? Meyer called a terrible second half. Elliot had two carries and they lost to a rival while undefeated. I'm assuming the loss all but kills their championship chances unless Michigan beats Michigan state. He's interviewed right after that loss and he's emotional. I wouldn't have said it but I think his emotions are allowed to run high considering the loss. I don't think it will effect his draft stock at all unless he bombs combine interviews. Is he supposed to be a top 5 talent this year tho? The Browns should pick in the top 5 and I'd say teams have wised up on spending high picks on non-generational talent.

  • @flugel said:

    Should one argue with Logic? Prolly not a good idea but in spite of Zeke's ill-advised post game comments - I still think he would be a terrific fit for us.

    Why does it seem like everyone is making a big deal out of his comments? Meyer called a terrible second half. Elliot had two carries and they lost to a rival while undefeated. I'm assuming the loss all but kills their championship chances unless Michigan beats Michigan state. He's interviewed right after that loss and he's emotional. I wouldn't have said it but I think his emotions are allowed to run high considering the loss. I don't think it will effect his draft stock at all unless he bombs combine interviews. Is he supposed to be a top 5 talent this year tho? The Browns should pick in the top 5 and I'd say teams have wised up on spending high picks on non-generational talent.

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @vagitron said:

    Why does it seem like everyone is making a big deal out of his comments? Meyer called a terrible second half. Elliot had two carries and they lost to a rival while undefeated. I'm assuming the loss all but kills their championship chances unless Michigan beats Michigan state. He's interviewed right after that loss and he's emotional. I wouldn't have said it but I think his emotions are allowed to run high considering the loss.

    I don't think it will effect his draft stock at all unless he bombs combine interviews. Is he supposed to be a top 5 talent this year tho? The Browns should pick in the top 5 and I'd say teams have wised up on spending high picks on non-generational talent.

    Ya, but what if M and MSU have already played?......moron
  • @the-gipper said:

    Honestly......Pettine's biggest failure has been in whom he has hired as asst. coaches. Moeller....O'Neil.

    In fairness to him......he hired 11 guys in 13 days.....and had, basically, a pile of recently fired crap to pick them from.....

    Imagine taking over a company and having only 2 weeks to assemble your whole staff....and you can only pick from the unemployment line......

    How good is that staff gonna be?.....And how long do they get to perform, before you start replacing them?.....

    I will say I didnt hear one single peep about the coaches or staff until a few weeks ago....If they are SO terrible and it's so obvious to everyone now, why was no one talking about this before?... ..

    A few months ago, we all loved these guys.....and suddenly....."everyone" says they are all bad......sounds like mob mentality to me

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @mudfly said:

    In fairness to him......he hired 11 guys in 13 days.....and had, basically, a pile of recently fired crap to pick them from.....

    Imagine taking over a company and having only 2 weeks to assemble your whole staff....and you can only pick from the unemployment line......

    How good is that staff gonna be?.....And how long do they get to perform, before you start replacing them?.....

    I will say I didnt hear one single peep about the coaches or staff until a few weeks ago....If they are SO terrible and it's so obvious to everyone now, why was no one talking about this before?... ..

    A few months ago, we all loved these guys.....and suddenly....."everyone" says they are all bad......sounds like mob mentality to me

    Because a few months ago, we didn't have the proof that we have now. A few months ago, there was optimism that last year was a foundational year and that this year would give us a much improved product.

    It sounds like people making reasonable conclusions based upon the new data in front of them to me.

  • @vagitron said:

    Why does it seem like everyone is making a big deal out of his comments? Meyer called a terrible second half. Elliot had two carries and they lost to a rival while undefeated. I'm assuming the loss all but kills their championship chances unless Michigan beats Michigan state. He's interviewed right after that loss and he's emotional. I wouldn't have said it but I think his emotions are allowed to run high considering the loss.

    I don't think it will effect his draft stock at all unless he bombs combine interviews. Is he supposed to be a top 5 talent this year tho? The Browns should pick in the top 5 and I'd say teams have wised up on spending high picks on non-generational talent.

    Ya, but what if M and MSU have already played?......moron
    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #44

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Ya, but what if M and MSU have already played?......moron

    I responded to this and I was mean. It was deleted. I meant Penn state but said Michigan because of the upcoming Ohio state Michigan game. I'm not sure who you think you are dougie but I only have it out with a few people here, let's call it history. Save your "moron" bs for people that care to mix it up with you and your mouth foaming. Return to the shadows.

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Montgomery doesn't inspire me very much

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Ya, but what if M and MSU have already played?......moron

    I responded to this and I was mean. It was deleted. I meant Penn state but said Michigan because of the upcoming Ohio state Michigan game. I'm not sure who you think you are dougie but I only have it out with a few people here, let's call it history. Save your "moron" bs for people that care to mix it up with you and your mouth foaming. Return to the shadows.

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @vagitron said:

    I responded to this and I was mean. It was deleted. I meant Penn state but said Michigan because of the upcoming Ohio state Michigan game. I'm not sure who you think you are dougie but I only have it out with a few people here, let's call it history. Save your "moron" bs for people that care to mix it up with you and your mouth foaming. Return to the shadows.

    Stay in stoolville moron and you won't have those issues.

  • @vagitron said:

    I responded to this and I was mean. It was deleted. I meant Penn state but said Michigan because of the upcoming Ohio state Michigan game. I'm not sure who you think you are dougie but I only have it out with a few people here, let's call it history. Save your "moron" bs for people that care to mix it up with you and your mouth foaming. Return to the shadows.

    Stay in stoolville moron and you won't have those issues.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #47

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Stay in stoolville moron and you won't have those issues.

    I live in Columbus now. I probably have more family ties to the buckeyes than you do. Half my fiance's family went there, currently have a cousin and a brother in law there as well. (I'm not a Ohio state fan)

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Stay in stoolville moron and you won't have those issues.

    I live in Columbus now. I probably have more family ties to the buckeyes than you do. Half my fiance's family went there, currently have a cousin and a brother in law there as well. (I'm not a Ohio state fan)

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @vagitron said:

    I live in Columbus now. I probably have more family ties to the buckeyes than you do. Half my fiance's family went there, currently have a cousin and a brother in law there as well. (I'm not a Ohio state fan)

    What "major college" do you root for?

    (I don't know why I am asking a guy who will only be here for 5 more days such things.)

    Oh well.....get it all ouchya system now while you can.

  • @vagitron said:

    I live in Columbus now. I probably have more family ties to the buckeyes than you do. Half my fiance's family went there, currently have a cousin and a brother in law there as well. (I'm not a Ohio state fan)

    What "major college" do you root for?

    (I don't know why I am asking a guy who will only be here for 5 more days such things.)

    Oh well.....get it all ouchya system now while you can.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #49

    @the-gipper said:

    What "major college" do you root for?

    (I don't know why I am asking a guy who will only be here for 5 more days such things.)

    Oh well.....get it all ouchya system now while you can.

    I don't really. Pitt/penn state but lately I've been watching a good amount of Ohio state because they are such a big deal with my fiance's family. I've never been big on college football but took my guard down a little with Ohio state because my cousin is there. I get really into the nfl draft process but that's about as college as I get with football. You will never catch me wearing Ohio state gear but my son has some.
  • @flugel said:

    Should one argue with Logic? Prolly not a good idea but in spite of Zeke's ill-advised post game comments - I still think he would be a terrific fit for us.

    Why does it seem like everyone is making a big deal out of his comments? Meyer called a terrible second half. Elliot had two carries and they lost to a rival while undefeated. I'm assuming the loss all but kills their championship chances unless Michigan beats Michigan state. He's interviewed right after that loss and he's emotional. I wouldn't have said it but I think his emotions are allowed to run high considering the loss. I don't think it will effect his draft stock at all unless he bombs combine interviews. Is he supposed to be a top 5 talent this year tho? The Browns should pick in the top 5 and I'd say teams have wised up on spending high picks on non-generational talent.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @vagitron said:

    Why does it seem like everyone is making a big deal out of his comments? Meyer called a terrible second half. Elliot had two carries and they lost to a rival while undefeated. I'm assuming the loss all but kills their championship chances unless Michigan beats Michigan state. He's interviewed right after that loss and he's emotional. I wouldn't have said it but I think his emotions are allowed to run high considering the loss. I don't think it will effect his draft stock at all unless he bombs combine interviews. Is he supposed to be a top 5 talent this year tho? The Browns should pick in the top 5 and I'd say teams have wised up on spending high picks on non-generational talent.

    Considering how often Urban Meyer has praised the kid as the ultimate, unselfish team player - it was like he bit off the hand feeding him. Was it an accurate reflection of Zeke? I doubt it but unfortunately most people outside of Ohio will remember him more for those comments than him looking like the best RB in the country for the last 2 seasons. You brought up a good point about the emotions being high immediately after a loss in an important game.

    I'd draft him in the top 5. He's still my favorite prospect from Ohio State. When he broke all those long runs for TDs vrs Bama and Oregon in the playoffs last year - the momentum swing was like a tidal wave. I'd love me some of that in Cleveland. While I'm at it, I'd also welcome somebody that hates to lose as much as him.