Skip to content

Draft thread

The Browns Board
83 25 2.6k
  • @clevfan4life said:

    ah ok it was TE, nm then. My brain went on autopilot when I saw that number and was like no fucking way a wr handled Bosa. I guess I need to see a replay of the MSU game to see what you guys are talking about. I mostly watch the line when I watch OSU games and while I didn't see Bosa having a career day, I thought I was seing the usual #97 chasing the ballcarrier from the opposite side of the field...and still often making the tackle or being in on it.

    I see your point about it being the MSU game why not sell out, but what it would it do for him if he had a great game right up until the time he got a draft lowering injury? The NFL wouldn't care in the slightest what he did the prior years, nobody would be taking him in the 1st round and it would cost him millions. I don't necessarily like that, but I understand. He's been coasting all season. He played his ass off last year and he got his championship. I'm frankly not expecting much from him for the Michigan game. OSU is done playing for the championship and likely won't make it to the Rose Bowl either, so it's focus on keeping healthy for the MI game and whatever dumb bowl the end up playing for than it's off to the NFL.

    Would you do any different if millions were at stake?

    Michigan State is really well coached. They make some really good game day adjustments. If you rewatch the game, watch the second half.

    IMO, the dynamic player that separated Ohio State from their 2 post season opponents last year was Zeke Elliott. His long runs for TDs were game changers and I would love to see him giving Cleveland the ability/luxury of scoring from anywhere on the field. Can imagine a 1-2 punch of Zeke and Duke?

    @flugel said:

    Michigan State is really well coached. They make some really good game day adjustments. If you rewatch the game, watch the second half.

    IMO, the dynamic player that separated Ohio State from their 2 post season opponents last year was Zeke Elliott. His long runs for TDs were game changers and I would love to see him giving Cleveland the ability/luxury of scoring from anywhere on the field. Can imagine a 1-2 punch of Zeke and Duke?

    Spot on here...not only was he the man that carried the team last year once Cardale (I can't hit a receiver in stride) Jones had to start. He pretty much carried the team this whole damn year with his 2nd half running and your only going to give him the ball twice in the 2nd half against MSU.
  • @clevfan4life said:

    ah ok it was TE, nm then. My brain went on autopilot when I saw that number and was like no fucking way a wr handled Bosa. I guess I need to see a replay of the MSU game to see what you guys are talking about. I mostly watch the line when I watch OSU games and while I didn't see Bosa having a career day, I thought I was seing the usual #97 chasing the ballcarrier from the opposite side of the field...and still often making the tackle or being in on it.

    I see your point about it being the MSU game why not sell out, but what it would it do for him if he had a great game right up until the time he got a draft lowering injury? The NFL wouldn't care in the slightest what he did the prior years, nobody would be taking him in the 1st round and it would cost him millions. I don't necessarily like that, but I understand. He's been coasting all season. He played his ass off last year and he got his championship. I'm frankly not expecting much from him for the Michigan game. OSU is done playing for the championship and likely won't make it to the Rose Bowl either, so it's focus on keeping healthy for the MI game and whatever dumb bowl the end up playing for than it's off to the NFL.

    Would you do any different if millions were at stake?

    Michigan State is really well coached. They make some really good game day adjustments. If you rewatch the game, watch the second half.

    IMO, the dynamic player that separated Ohio State from their 2 post season opponents last year was Zeke Elliott. His long runs for TDs were game changers and I would love to see him giving Cleveland the ability/luxury of scoring from anywhere on the field. Can imagine a 1-2 punch of Zeke and Duke?

    @flugel said:

    Can imagine a 1-2 punch of Zeke and Duke?

    Oh I love zeke, he's another 5 tool guy. Imo he's a way better prospect than Henry. "IF" we could somehow get Dallas to take johnny off our hands for their #1, maybe throw in some other player, I would love to see us take Bosa and Zeke. I know that looks like some major OSU homer pie on the surface, but I'd want those two guys no matter where they played.

  • @flugel said:

    Can imagine a 1-2 punch of Zeke and Duke?

    Oh I love zeke, he's another 5 tool guy. Imo he's a way better prospect than Henry. "IF" we could somehow get Dallas to take johnny off our hands for their #1, maybe throw in some other player, I would love to see us take Bosa and Zeke. I know that looks like some major OSU homer pie on the surface, but I'd want those two guys no matter where they played.

    @clevfan4life said:

    Oh I love zeke, he's another 5 tool guy. Imo he's a way better prospect than Henry. "IF" we could somehow get Dallas to take johnny off our hands for their #1, maybe throw in some other player, I would love to see us take Bosa and Zeke. I know that looks like some major OSU homer pie on the surface, but I'd want those two guys no matter where they played.

    Jerrah Jones is gonna have to go qb shopping come 2016. Doesn't surprise me (watched the game & the way he was holding his arm was telling) Romo is done for the year with a busted collarbone- again. Don't know if him or Bradford take the China Doll award.

  • Romo is 35, if Bradford hangs around as a starter until he's 35 I'll buy ice cream for everyone.

  • @flugel said:

    Can imagine a 1-2 punch of Zeke and Duke?

    Oh I love zeke, he's another 5 tool guy. Imo he's a way better prospect than Henry. "IF" we could somehow get Dallas to take johnny off our hands for their #1, maybe throw in some other player, I would love to see us take Bosa and Zeke. I know that looks like some major OSU homer pie on the surface, but I'd want those two guys no matter where they played.

    @clevfan4life said:

    Oh I love zeke, he's another 5 tool guy. Imo he's a way better prospect than Henry. "IF" we could somehow get Dallas to take johnny off our hands for their #1, maybe throw in some other player, I would love to see us take Bosa and Zeke. I know that looks like some major OSU homer pie on the surface, but I'd want those two guys no matter where they played.

    Jerry is willing to employ a brand new cast for the Longest Yard (Hardy & Dez) so I can see him ponying up a trade for Manziel especially since he wanted him in the first place.

    There's a lot of people in your corner about Bosa and many aren't even Ohio State fans fwiw. Some of us are just coming at it from a different angle and trying to show you why we're hesitant/reluctant. Since 99, we've seen first round picks like Courtney Brown, Gerrard Warren, and Phil Taylor never play up to the promise of what their talent projected. Even before injuries compounded situations - what was holding sic em hostage? Inner chest especially when 2 of them always reported to camp out of shape. When we gave up a chance to draft the talent and work ethic of Julio Jones - I didn't want to hear any excuses about Taylor. There were times he showed promise but a team like us can't afford another first round investment that is satisfied with all football in the rear view mirror after the signing bonus. It's up to our scouts to research the work ethics we're betting on moving forward.

    I don't think there was any lack of effort vrs Michigan State last week. The miserable weather favored Michigan State in the sense of how much it handcuffed the sense of balance Ohio State is capable of. It also looked like Michigan State's staff did a better job of identifying vulnerabilities and exploiting them while the game was in progress, which is high praise considering how infrequently that can be said vrs Urban Meyer's staffs.

    As with any prospect, their fate is in the hands of who drafts them. Tampa used to be willing to let their entire fan base think guys like Steve Young and Vinny Testaverde were evil gypsies that just wanted to rob their payroll/salary cap. Their next teams knew what to surround them with so success was inevitable. The coaching staffs also knew how to tap their strengths. What if a guy like Rich Kotite drafted Montana or the New Orleans staff that once wasted Archie Manning? That story could have played out way different. Where I'm going with this is would our current defensive staff tap Bosa's assets out in our 5 technique? Truth is - we don't even have a good read on what a promising prospect like Xavier Cooper offers us in this fire drill in a chicken coop.

    After round 1 - I like Canton Mike's idea of upgrading our play making ability on the perimeter with Braxton Miller. Now I'm sounding like the OSU homer but I think this guy can be everything Jarvis Landry is and more. Similar build, hands and big play ability. As much as I want more size outside - this is a pretty good exception to that rule (he still outweighs Gabriel by about 20-25 lbs).

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Oh I love zeke, he's another 5 tool guy. Imo he's a way better prospect than Henry. "IF" we could somehow get Dallas to take johnny off our hands for their #1, maybe throw in some other player, I would love to see us take Bosa and Zeke. I know that looks like some major OSU homer pie on the surface, but I'd want those two guys no matter where they played.

    Jerrah Jones is gonna have to go qb shopping come 2016. Doesn't surprise me (watched the game & the way he was holding his arm was telling) Romo is done for the year with a busted collarbone- again. Don't know if him or Bradford take the China Doll award.

    @hoorta said:

    Jerrah Jones is gonna have to go qb shopping come 2016. Doesn't surprise me (watched the game & the way he was holding his arm was telling) Romo is done for the year with a busted collarbone- again. Don't know if him or Bradford take the China Doll award.

    That's gotta feel real good in the palace knowing the recent contract extensions/raises to Dez Bryant and Tony Romo are paying for all the football behind them. Thatta boy Jerry. We have the perfect WR for you - Dwayne Bowe has 3 receptions at the exchange value of over 9 million $.

  • DeForest Buckner would be my choice over Bosa. PFF ranks him number 1 in all of college football

    I've watched all but one of the Duck's games and this guy just pops off the screen. He is the best 5-Tech in the draft.

  • DeForest Buckner would be my choice over Bosa. PFF ranks him number 1 in all of college football

    I've watched all but one of the Duck's games and this guy just pops off the screen. He is the best 5-Tech in the draft.

    @mdmusch said:

    DeForest Buckner would be my choice over Bosa. PFF ranks him number 1 in all of college football

    I've watched all but one of the Duck's games and this guy just pops off the screen. He is the best 5-Tech in the draft.

    I gotta start watching some Pac 12 football this year so I can at least have some degree of familiarity with the names we'll be talking about in the off-season.. Thanks for the heads-up!

  • Does Moody Bible College have a football team? Maybe coach would like their quarterback?

    WSS

  • Does Moody Bible College have a football team? Maybe coach would like their quarterback?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Does Moody Bible College have a football team? Maybe coach would like their quarterback?

    WSS

    Steve, ya never know about those small school qbs. Augustana, Delaware State. 🙂 I'll let you guess- a couple of guys who played in Super Bowls.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Does Moody Bible College have a football team? Maybe coach would like their quarterback?

    WSS

    Steve, ya never know about those small school qbs. Augustana, Delaware State. 🙂 I'll let you guess- a couple of guys who played in Super Bowls.

    @hoorta said:

    Steve, ya never know about those small school qbs. Augustana, Delaware State. 🙂 I'll let you guess- a couple of guys who played in Super Bowls.

    Dude I'm not talking about a small school I'm talking about a Bible College.

    Maybe the coach's moral sensibilities wouldn't be offended by somebody from Tibet state...

    🙂

    WSS

  • Maybe "the coach" would settle for a QB willing to put his hand on a Bible when telling him something... 😮

  • well Paxton Lynch is currently 9/14, 222 yards and 7 TD, 0 INT in the first half...

  • Maybe "the coach" would settle for a QB willing to put his hand on a Bible when telling him something... 😮

    @tour2ma said:

    Maybe "the coach" would settle for a QB willing to put his hand on a Bible when telling him something... 😮

    Already said that insubordination is a valid reason for punishment. The rest is bullshit.

    WSS

  • Bosa's having a good game against Michigan. He is so disruptive. When he's not in there Rudock has at least 2 extra seeconds to throw the ball. Its amazing the pressure he generates even when it doesn't look like he's doing much except ripping to the inside. He had another play the exemplifies why I want him in the 1st half....he fires out into the tackle, reads the play and just discards his blocker. He didn't get the sack buy he got his hand on Rudocks arm or something and caused it to come out funny. It's that football brain on him that has me high on him.

    I'll have to look at tape of Buckner, i've heard the name. Thing is, I don't see Bosa as a fulltime 5 tech. I think it's a waste of his talent. I see him as a 4-3 DE or a real Jack 3-4 OLB'er where they drop him into zone only. Kind of how they 'should" be using Kruger. If you have Bosa on one side you need to have a Mingo type weak side OLB'er on the other side. But frankly because of the rest of the talent on our team, I don't want to see the 3-4 much next year. I'd rather have Monty and Bosa as our starting edges. We obviously could still run a 3-4, cycling between Bosa and Des as the 5 techs, and Mingo/Orchard as the OLB'ers. But i woudl rather see the 4-3 next year if we draft Bosa.

  • The play Bosa had where he crunched the QB was against their starting LT.. UM ran an unbalanced line and shifted their starting LT over to 1:1 against Bosa, and Bosa destroyed him.

    In addition to Bosa, the other thing that would be like a draft pick in terms of production.. change the D coordinator / stop the 2-gap nonsense. Just about the only thing less useful is a prevent.

    Naturally, the base defense for the 2015 Browns appears to be a 2-gap prevent.

  • I agree on the 2 gap horseshit.

  • If by "disruptive" you mean draws a lot of attention, then yes, Bosa's disruptive.

    The tip/INT was a very athletic play. His lone sack was a simple speed rush beat of an OT playing out of position. Not sure why you do that when your RT had pretty well handled Joey's speed rush up to that point. Their RT had inside help all day and that was all he needed, but it did allow other Buckeyes to make plays between their RG and C.

    I'm still more than willing to watch more Bosa game tape, if games are recommended.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Maybe "the coach" would settle for a QB willing to put his hand on a Bible when telling him something... 😮

    Already said that insubordination is a valid reason for punishment. The rest is bullshit.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Already said that insubordination is a valid reason for punishment. The rest is bullshit.

    I've noticed that... also noticed that you don't seem to accept that the valid part is the only part.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Already said that insubordination is a valid reason for punishment. The rest is bullshit.

    I've noticed that... also noticed that you don't seem to accept that the valid part is the only part.

    @tour2ma said:

    I've noticed that... also noticed that you don't seem to accept that the valid part is the only part.

    Correct. I don't think any of the TMZ stories have been noteworthy and I think the team the fans in the media have overreacted.

    Furthermore amongst those factions the punishment has been more of a distraction than singing karaoke.

    I think I've been quite clear on this.

    The New York Jets were fortunate that Weeb Eubank was there coach and not Mike Pettine.

    WSS

    WSS