Skip to content

If I were Jimmy Haslam...

The Browns Board
57 27 2.5k
  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    I would honestly fold the browns. Retire the name and colors and start anew. The problem with the browns is that the Cleveland Browns have a tradition of losing. I know now that will never change. So something else has to change.

    I've been saying this since '99.....some of these old nostalgic die hard fans / farts will not hear of it. THIS IS NOT THE TEAM WE ROOTED FOR IN THE 60'S, 70'S, AND 80'S...PERIOD. All they have done is create another name for "loser" .... by keeping the name / colors intact. The Cleveland Browns were one of the winningest franchises in professional football not that long ago. A well respected team, with heart, and always had a chance to win, no matter who the opponent was. You saw the team wearing purple last night? I hate them, but they are exactly the type of team that used to wear orange and brown, and play on the lakefront in Cleveland, Ohio......that IS reality. Just because some of you weren't around to see it, doesn't make it phantasy.

    @lodilobo said:

    I've been saying this since '99.....some of these old nostalgic die hard fans / farts will not hear of it. THIS IS NOT THE TEAM WE ROOTED FOR IN THE 60'S, 70'S, AND 80'S...PERIOD. All they have done is create another name for "loser" .... by keeping the name / colors intact. The Cleveland Browns were one of the winningest franchises in professional football not that long ago. A well respected team, with heart, and always had a chance to win, no matter who the opponent was. You saw the team wearing purple last night? I hate them, but they are exactly the type of team that used to wear orange and brown, and play on the lakefront in Cleveland, Ohio......that IS reality. Just because some of you weren't around to see it, doesn't make it phantasy.

    🙂 our pal Ghoolie (now Vesna) has been saying this for years. It's a damn shame for the once proud tradition get dragged into the gutter.

  • I haven't been this depressed about the Browns since they moved. I see no hope in this team as it stands right now. Explode and start over is the only feasible option imo. What we have now is sure as hell not working. Pettine/Farmer obviously have issues with each other and both should go. Haslam should seek advice from someone who has much more experience in the ownership role in choosing a new coach. Maybe ex high school coaches not a good idea.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I haven't been this depressed about the Browns since they moved. I see no hope in this team as it stands right now. Explode and start over is the only feasible option imo. What we have now is sure as hell not working. Pettine/Farmer obviously have issues with each other and both should go. Haslam should seek advice from someone who has much more experience in the ownership role in choosing a new coach. Maybe ex high school coaches not a good idea.

    Your best post ever
  • If I was Haslam I would pull the plug on Farmer. He has proven he doesn't know talent. I would look for a proven GM. Then let him decide on Pet and either keep him or bring his guys in.

  • @mudfly said:

    3) Ok....one guy.....but hes not really in a position to make much difference though...is he?

    4) Ok....maybe not fair.....but I say that because a new owner "might" be intimidated by employees who know more than him????..... I dunno.....just seems weird that an experienced and successful business man(like Haslam) would not pursue more proven talent to run his ship.....I can see promoting someone to a new position, but cannot see having a whole organization built with people who are all new at their jobs....goes against everything Ive ever known as "smart business"...

    3. Depends on how rigid Jimmy considers his Org Chart to be... I'm thinking "not too." Remember Haslam had direct contact during Farmer's suspension so a path was established.

    4. Recent history had been a veritable parade of "proven talent" both in the FO and staff. I think Jimmy liked the "hunger" that I am sure both Farmer and Pet displayed through their interview processes. If you hit with their pairing, you are set for a very long time.

    Man... it seems like a long time ago when Jimmy had the foresight to lock up Farmer and prevent his leaving for (where was it?) and we found Pet while wandering through the wilderness...

    @tour2ma said:

    Man... it seems like a long time ago when Jimmy had the foresight to lock up Farmer and prevent his leaving for (where was it?) and we found Pet while wandering through the wilderness...

    Farmer interviewed with Miami.

  • Can we trade Farmer to Miami and maybe Manzgina for a 4th round pick? Hell I will take a 5th or 6th.

  • What about Brian Billick? He won a SB with Tony Banks and Trent Dilfer, newcomer Jamal Lewis and a stout D. Run effectively, play great D and a QB that can manage the game. Right now we don't have any of the 3...

  • What about Brian Billick? He won a SB with Tony Banks and Trent Dilfer, newcomer Jamal Lewis and a stout D. Run effectively, play great D and a QB that can manage the game. Right now we don't have any of the 3...

    @bammer said:

    What about Brian Billick? He won a SB with Tony Banks and Trent Dilfer, newcomer Jamal Lewis and a stout D. Run effectively, play great D and a QB that can manage the game. Right now we don't have any of the 3...

    He has said in many interviews that he has no interest in coaching again. He likes doing just a bit of tv work during the week...working an NFL broadcast on Sunday and going home to his family on Sunday nights and like all ex-coaches who go into broadcasting.....he says I haven't lost a game in years.

  • 12348097_10101350822762642_1457039445231

  • I hope Jimmy listens to Jon Gruden and lets his young coaching staff stay and learn.

  • @bammer said:

    What about Brian Billick? He won a SB with Tony Banks and Trent Dilfer, newcomer Jamal Lewis and a stout D. Run effectively, play great D and a QB that can manage the game. Right now we don't have any of the 3...

    He has said in many interviews that he has no interest in coaching again. He likes doing just a bit of tv work during the week...working an NFL broadcast on Sunday and going home to his family on Sunday nights and like all ex-coaches who go into broadcasting.....he says I haven't lost a game in years.

    @mark-o said:

    He has said in many interviews that he has no interest in coaching again. He likes doing just a bit of tv work during the week...working an NFL broadcast on Sunday and going home to his family on Sunday nights and like all ex-coaches who go into broadcasting.....he says I haven't lost a game in years.

    What you say and what your heart tells you can be two different things Mark. He has also said on numerous occasions he would love to coach Manziel, warts and all. I think he is aware that it is undertaking transforming a problem child into a responsible adult and uses his experience with Brett Farve as a parallel process. He's even said he would enlist Farve to help him get thorough to JM. That does not sound like a guy truly done with coaching. Farve was JM's idol when he played in junior high and high school, so lets hope he follows directly in those footsteps from addiction to stardom.

  • lol... Favre coaching JM... my dream scenario...

  • lol... Favre coaching JM... my dream scenario...

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... Favre coaching JM... my dream scenario...

    Kind of like the best NA/AA sponsors are the ones who had just about every fall possible but somehow made it through to sobriety. Yeah, I like it. Brett Farve-Sponsor. 😆

  • gruden went to my high school and used to get rolled for his lunch money.

    chucky?

    HA!

  • Yeah, LA is a good spot. This franchise is a joke and embarrassment. Move them to LA before they completely ruin the Browns name

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Yeah, LA is a good spot. This franchise is a joke and embarrassment. Move them to LA before they completely ruin the Browns name

    LA is a good spot for what?

    Certainly not an NFL franchise, hell they lost 3 teams already.

  • @pumpkin-eater said:

    Yeah, LA is a good spot. This franchise is a joke and embarrassment. Move them to LA before they completely ruin the Browns name

    LA is a good spot for what?

    Certainly not an NFL franchise, hell they lost 3 teams already.

    @canton-dawg said:

    LA is a good spot for what?

    Certainly not an NFL franchise, hell they lost 3 teams already.

    2 in one year if memory serves
  • I would Fire Farmer and Oneil. Id like to keep pettine, but damn he seems clueless at times.

  • @mark-o said:

    He has said in many interviews that he has no interest in coaching again. He likes doing just a bit of tv work during the week...working an NFL broadcast on Sunday and going home to his family on Sunday nights and like all ex-coaches who go into broadcasting.....he says I haven't lost a game in years.

    What you say and what your heart tells you can be two different things Mark. He has also said on numerous occasions he would love to coach Manziel, warts and all. I think he is aware that it is undertaking transforming a problem child into a responsible adult and uses his experience with Brett Farve as a parallel process. He's even said he would enlist Farve to help him get thorough to JM. That does not sound like a guy truly done with coaching. Farve was JM's idol when he played in junior high and high school, so lets hope he follows directly in those footsteps from addiction to stardom.

    @texasag1969 said:

    What you say and what your heart tells you can be two different things Mark. He has also said on numerous occasions he would love to coach Manziel, warts and all. I think he is aware that it is undertaking transforming a problem child into a responsible adult and uses his experience with Brett Farve as a parallel process. He's even said he would enlist Farve to help him get thorough to JM. That does not sound like a guy truly done with coaching. Farve was JM's idol when he played in junior high and high school, so lets hope he follows directly in those footsteps from addiction to stardom.

    I was referring to Billick not Gruden. I agree with you on Gruden. I think he will coach again somewhere. I'm surprised he didn't jump at the Notre Dame job a couple years back.

  • @pumpkin-eater said:

    Yeah, LA is a good spot. This franchise is a joke and embarrassment. Move them to LA before they completely ruin the Browns name

    LA is a good spot for what?

    Certainly not an NFL franchise, hell they lost 3 teams already.

    @canton-dawg said:

    LA is a good spot for what?

    Certainly not an NFL franchise, hell they lost 3 teams already.

    And they'll have 2 more NFL franchises in the next year or so.

  • You children. I guess history was not the strong suit of many of you.

    On January 12, 1946, Dan Reeves was denied a request by the other National Football League (NFL) owners to move his team, the Cleveland Rams to Los Angeles and the then-103,000-seat Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.[1] Reeves threatened to end his relationship with the NFL and get out of the professional football business altogether unless the Rams transfer to Los Angeles was permitted.[1][2][3] A settlement was reached and, as a result, Reeves was allowed to move his team to Los Angeles.

    Been there, done that!

  • I would Fire Farmer and Oneil. Id like to keep pettine, but damn he seems clueless at times.

    @kvoethe said:

    I would Fire Farmer and Oneil. Id like to keep pettine, but damn he seems clueless at times.

    Pettine is the worst of the lot! He is a vindictive hating pussy who has no people skills nor football smamrts.