Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Austin Davis named starter against Bungles...

Austin Davis named starter against Bungles...

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
152 Posts 45 Posters 5.7k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • dawg08 D
    • 501 Posts
    • 13 Reputation
    D dawg08 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

    Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

    LogicIsForSquaresL jcam222J B 3 Replies Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • D dawg08

      I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

      Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

      LogicIsForSquares LogicIsForSquaresL Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 10k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @dawg08 said:

      I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

      Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

      This was his first action so I will give him a little more leeway.

      The FO brought him in wanting to kick the tires on him to see if he could be a suitable backup. If Manziel (or whoever the hell is QB next year) starts next year, McCown may be retired or on his way out. It would be better to have a serviceable backup before being forced into picking over whoever is available in a pinch.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
        • 30k Posts
        • 6k Reputation
        Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
        #3

        Other than the inexplicable slide to stay inbounds, I could not disagree with the OP more.

        Took Davis one series to shake off a year's rust and lead us to a TD. Against a soft-ish D seeking to not allow chunks, he got us yardage in chunks. In that drive he made every read and every throw with great eye discipline to throw off the opposing Safties. He even showed pocket awareness and movement. Mechanically he was near flawless.

        I'm ready to see more.

        Edit: and McC isn't going anywhere. He's under contract for 2 more years and is the perfect, selfless veteran back-up to whichever young gun is at the other end of our never-ending bridge.

        "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
        LogicIsForSquaresL 1 Reply Last reply
        👍
        Quote Reply
        • Tour2maT Tour2ma

          Other than the inexplicable slide to stay inbounds, I could not disagree with the OP more.

          Took Davis one series to shake off a year's rust and lead us to a TD. Against a soft-ish D seeking to not allow chunks, he got us yardage in chunks. In that drive he made every read and every throw with great eye discipline to throw off the opposing Safties. He even showed pocket awareness and movement. Mechanically he was near flawless.

          I'm ready to see more.

          Edit: and McC isn't going anywhere. He's under contract for 2 more years and is the perfect, selfless veteran back-up to whichever young gun is at the other end of our never-ending bridge.

          LogicIsForSquares LogicIsForSquaresL Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 10k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @tour2ma said:

          Other than the inexplicable slide to stay inbounds, I could not disagree with the OP more.

          Took Davis one series to shake off a year's rust and lead us to a TD. Against a soft-ish D seeking to not allow chunks, he got us yardage in chunks. In that drive he made every read and every throw with great eye discipline to throw off the opposing Safties. He even showed pocket awareness and movement. Mechanically he was near flawless.

          I'm ready to see more.

          Edit: and McC isn't going anywhere. He's under contract for 2 more years and is the perfect, selfless veteran back-up to whichever young gun is at the other end of our never-ending bridge.

          I would like to see McC around I just don't know if he can take this pummeling.

          As for Davis, I definitely want to see more.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Unsympathetic U Reacting Well Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 4k Posts
            • 1k Reputation
            U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
            #5

            The knock on Davis was always raw arm strength - the 15 yd square out to the far sideline and the deep ball. He checked both of those boxes last night. (I think that square out to Benjamin was from the right hash to the left sideline.. anyone recall?)

            He may not be the future, but he can be the rest of this season.

            The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you. "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." Paul Brown
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • LogicIsForSquares LogicIsForSquaresL Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 10k Posts
              • 2k Reputation
              LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
              #6

              If he could be a Connor Shaw with more arm, I would not hate that .

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 9k Posts
                • 1k Reputation
                bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I hope Davis gets the start next week - nice slap on the face to Manziel anyway, hopefully getting benched for both Josh mccown and Austin will sober him up a bit.

                1 Reply Last reply
                👍
                Quote Reply
                • DeputyDawg DeputyDawgD
                  • 150 Posts
                  • 2 Reputation
                  DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  I nearly groaned last night when Pettine brought Davis on instead of Manziel. However, I'm glad I didn't rant at him because for me he brought us back in to the game. He certainly didn't lose it for us. I was ready to start calling for Manziel again, but after that performance I wouldn't complain seeing what more Davis can offer. If it was purely down to me though I'd still start Manziel. Personally the Manziel debate isn't over and I think it needs to be fast forwarded. A new more experienced HC next season might be what he needs- he certainly needs his life outside Berea micro managed. Give him rope at this moment in his life he will hang himself!

                  Loyaultie me Lie. If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor!
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • jiggins7919 jiggins7919J Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 5k Posts
                    • 1k Reputation
                    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    We gave the kid a decent chunk of change in order to check him out. If I was the Browns, I'd be thinking that Johnny is one screw up away from real trouble, and McCown is 36 years old and somewhat injury prone, so I need a third guy to explore. Davis is as attractive as any third stringer in the league, and he's actually won a handful of starts. I don't have any proof of this, but I would think Farmer was pretty high on the guy, and wants to see what he can do.

                    If memory serves me correct, Davis threw one pass that should've been picked off, and that's probably the rub on him. He appeared to have decent speed, and he's not afraid to let the ball go. There's a small part of me that would love to see him start a game or two, but the logical party of my brain says, "Why would so many other teams not be interested in this guy if he was worth a damn?" And no matter how talented Davis is, what QB not named Brady can win with absolutely no running game? Us running the ball is a complete embarrassment.

                    DeputyDawgD 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • jiggins7919J jiggins7919

                      We gave the kid a decent chunk of change in order to check him out. If I was the Browns, I'd be thinking that Johnny is one screw up away from real trouble, and McCown is 36 years old and somewhat injury prone, so I need a third guy to explore. Davis is as attractive as any third stringer in the league, and he's actually won a handful of starts. I don't have any proof of this, but I would think Farmer was pretty high on the guy, and wants to see what he can do.

                      If memory serves me correct, Davis threw one pass that should've been picked off, and that's probably the rub on him. He appeared to have decent speed, and he's not afraid to let the ball go. There's a small part of me that would love to see him start a game or two, but the logical party of my brain says, "Why would so many other teams not be interested in this guy if he was worth a damn?" And no matter how talented Davis is, what QB not named Brady can win with absolutely no running game? Us running the ball is a complete embarrassment.

                      DeputyDawg DeputyDawgD
                      • 150 Posts
                      • 2 Reputation
                      DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @jiggins7919 said:

                      He appeared to have decent speed, and he's not afraid to let the ball go. There's a small part of me that would love to see him start a game or two, but the logical party of my brain says, "Why would so many other teams not be interested in this guy if he was worth a damn?" And no matter how talented Davis is, what QB not named Brady can win with absolutely no running game? Us running the ball is a complete embarrassment.

                      Yep! I cringed visibly when we were going to run the ball at the death and I'm sure I said quite a lot of things my children wouldn't have wanted to hear! Of all the times to rely on the running game for extra yardage that wasn't it! I get the logic, but not with our running game right now.

                      Loyaultie me Lie. If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor!
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Opal312 Opal312O
                        • 2k Posts
                        • 100 Reputation
                        Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        I predicted this in week two or three. Davis would start at some point. I watched him last year for St. Louis and thought he had talent. Lord knows the Rams would love to have him back. He came on after injuries to Bradford and Hill. But remember, very little veteran talent around him at receiver and running back.

                        I like this guy to start the rest of the season. And he's 26

                        DAMN THE TORPEDOES! FULL SPEED AHEAD!
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        👍
                        Quote Reply
                        • GoldenDawg G
                          • 3 Posts
                          • 0 Reputation
                          G GoldenDawg wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Figured that he'd get a start before the year was over just due to McC injuries and JF just being JF. I watched AD alot last year with the Rams also and thought he looked pretty good. He got a few wins against SeaHawks, 49ers, and Bucs (w/ McC Qbing). He should have got a win against Dallas. Went 30/42 for over 300yds 3TDs and was up 21-0 in 2nd quarter, but they had NO Defense and lost 34-31. Another against Philly with NO Defense. Went 29/49 375yds 3TDs and lost 34-28. Somewhere around the 6th game of the season the Dfense started showing up, but the OLine was getting banged up and he was running for his life most of the time. I also bet Rams wish they still had him now. Don't over look him just because he was undrafted... Dude broke all of Favre's records at SoMiss, went there on a baseball scholarship and walked on for football. AD is also the Choir Boy they are looking for, appears to be a real good guy with an even better work ethic. JF probably needs to hang around him more if he wants to clean up his act and have a chance at a career.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 11k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
                            #13

                            goldendawg-- When we got AD from Rams, I was remembering a game that AD came in off the bench similar to last night to beat Chargers in SD? or just fell short on last drive?

                            Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • Edwardejw EdwardejwE
                              • 81 Posts
                              • 4 Reputation
                              EdwardejwE Edwardejw wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Sorry guys, you can't teach football instincts. You have them or you don't. Last night Davis showed why he was relegated to just above the practice squad. The slide was a jamarcus Russell play all the way. Even 5 graders know enough to get out of bounds.

                              Then Pettine, clock management? You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny. He is a class A criminal. Dude make him run laps or some other such shit instead of ruining one man for life and putting in an inbred from Mississippi.

                              Pettine, you need to be fired, no you need to be dunked repeatedly in the Lake off the 9th street pier until you get frostbite in all your toes..

                              I can't believe some of the people on this board support this moron.

                              Tour2maT G 2 Replies Last reply
                              👍
                              Quote Reply
                              • D dawg08

                                I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

                                Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

                                jcam222 jcam222J Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 3k Posts
                                • 873 Reputation
                                jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @dawg08 said:

                                I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

                                Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

                                I must have missed the Manziel imitation..........
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • EdwardejwE Edwardejw

                                  Sorry guys, you can't teach football instincts. You have them or you don't. Last night Davis showed why he was relegated to just above the practice squad. The slide was a jamarcus Russell play all the way. Even 5 graders know enough to get out of bounds.

                                  Then Pettine, clock management? You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny. He is a class A criminal. Dude make him run laps or some other such shit instead of ruining one man for life and putting in an inbred from Mississippi.

                                  Pettine, you need to be fired, no you need to be dunked repeatedly in the Lake off the 9th street pier until you get frostbite in all your toes..

                                  I can't believe some of the people on this board support this moron.

                                  Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                                  • 30k Posts
                                  • 6k Reputation
                                  Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  He raised his arms and almost money-signed, but stopped short and approximated something looking more like bad jazz-hands.

                                  @edwardejw said:

                                  You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny.

                                  It's arguments like this that make it easy to support Pet...

                                  "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                                  Mark OM 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • bigbaddawgjr bigbaddawgjrB
                                    • 221 Posts
                                    • 0 Reputation
                                    bigbaddawgjrB bigbaddawgjr wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    Davis broke all of Brett Favre records in College. I would like to see more of him for the rest of the season. I am done with the Manzgina Experiment.

                                    *** GO DAWGS , GO BUCKS , GO CAVS, and GO INDIANS *** *** BUCKEYE's RULE *** *** STEELERS STILL SUCk, and SO DOES OUR GOVERNMENT ***
                                    W 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • Tour2maT Tour2ma

                                      He raised his arms and almost money-signed, but stopped short and approximated something looking more like bad jazz-hands.

                                      @edwardejw said:

                                      You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny.

                                      It's arguments like this that make it easy to support Pet...

                                      Mark O Mark OM Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                      • 6k Posts
                                      • 1k Reputation
                                      Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @tour2ma said:

                                      It's arguments like this that make it easy to support Pet...

                                      I'm still in support Pet mode...but I'm starting to think that a change is coming. I hope not but I have that feeling. I didn't see the game last night. First game I've missed in 2 years since the heartbreaking NE game from 2 seasons ago. I did scan through it after I knew the result thanks to so many people sending txt messages during the game. Just an amazing way to lose a game. It's like we try to invent new ways to do this shit.

                                      Cincinatti is going down this weekend...

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • bigbaddawgjrB bigbaddawgjr

                                        Davis broke all of Brett Favre records in College. I would like to see more of him for the rest of the season. I am done with the Manzgina Experiment.

                                        Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                        • 39k Posts
                                        • 9k Reputation
                                        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @bigbaddawgjr said:

                                        Davis broke all of Brett Favre records in College. I would like to see more of him for the rest of the season. I am done with the Manzgina Experiment.

                                        Brett Favre? What a horrible human being! I've heard rumors that he got drunk when he was a rookie! They should have run him out of the league.

                                        😉

                                        WSS

                                        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        👍
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • jiggins7919 jiggins7919J Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                          • 5k Posts
                                          • 1k Reputation
                                          jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          Davis was put into a VERY tough spot, and he had good results. The biggest problem I have with the kid was he threw an interception, an EASY interception that was inexplicably dropped. It was not a good throw, and HOPEFULLY that was just a mental error and something that is not indicative of how he plays, but I believe the knock on him was that he throws picks too often. It was pretty bad. Obviously every QB throws interceptions, so I don't want to say the kid is awful because of one bad play, but the Bengals aren't dropping that.

                                          I don't worry too much about the slide. I honestly think it was a brain fart and he had a billion things going through his head. That kind of stuff will come with game experience, and while it was totally common sense, I can imagine he was just a little frazzled.

                                          On a positive note, Davis had multiple throws that were very impressive. He threw a deep out to Benjamin that literally couldn't be thrown ANY better. And what makes it even more impressive is it was a complete timing pattern. The ball wasn't late, early, high or low...it was absolutely perfect. That isn't an easy toss to make. You have to trust your receiver, trust your knowledge of the defense, and just let it fly. I also love the 3rd and 19 throw to get a chunk of yards back, and of course the 4th and 5 which I thought he had NO chance to complete.

                                          Oh, and the TOUCHDOWN pass! Davis trusts that Duke will handle the rush, which he did, and he steps up in the pocket while keeping his eyes DOWN the field, and then delivers a total strike to Benji. Again, not behind, high, or low...directly in stride. It gave the fans a real moment to cheer for...something not very common this year.

                                          Against just about ANY other team, I'd be excited to see Davis start again. The problem is, we play Cincy this week, and their defense makes even the most seasoned pro quarterbacks look bad. Often times they get immense pressure with rushing only 4, and yards and points are difficult to come by. If I had to guess, Davis' numbers will look something like 29-49 for 256 yards, 1 td and 2 picks.

                                          Our running game will contribute 15 carries resulting in a bucket of laughter.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate