Skip to content

Austin Davis named starter against Bungles...

The Browns Board
152 45 5.7k
  • goldendawg-- When we got AD from Rams, I was remembering a game that AD came in off the bench similar to last night to beat Chargers in SD? or just fell short on last drive?

  • Sorry guys, you can't teach football instincts. You have them or you don't. Last night Davis showed why he was relegated to just above the practice squad. The slide was a jamarcus Russell play all the way. Even 5 graders know enough to get out of bounds.

    Then Pettine, clock management? You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny. He is a class A criminal. Dude make him run laps or some other such shit instead of ruining one man for life and putting in an inbred from Mississippi.

    Pettine, you need to be fired, no you need to be dunked repeatedly in the Lake off the 9th street pier until you get frostbite in all your toes..

    I can't believe some of the people on this board support this moron.

  • I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

    Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

    @dawg08 said:

    I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

    Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

    I must have missed the Manziel imitation..........
  • Sorry guys, you can't teach football instincts. You have them or you don't. Last night Davis showed why he was relegated to just above the practice squad. The slide was a jamarcus Russell play all the way. Even 5 graders know enough to get out of bounds.

    Then Pettine, clock management? You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny. He is a class A criminal. Dude make him run laps or some other such shit instead of ruining one man for life and putting in an inbred from Mississippi.

    Pettine, you need to be fired, no you need to be dunked repeatedly in the Lake off the 9th street pier until you get frostbite in all your toes..

    I can't believe some of the people on this board support this moron.

    He raised his arms and almost money-signed, but stopped short and approximated something looking more like bad jazz-hands.

    @edwardejw said:

    You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny.

    It's arguments like this that make it easy to support Pet...

  • Davis broke all of Brett Favre records in College. I would like to see more of him for the rest of the season. I am done with the Manzgina Experiment.

  • He raised his arms and almost money-signed, but stopped short and approximated something looking more like bad jazz-hands.

    @edwardejw said:

    You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny.

    It's arguments like this that make it easy to support Pet...

    @tour2ma said:

    It's arguments like this that make it easy to support Pet...

    I'm still in support Pet mode...but I'm starting to think that a change is coming. I hope not but I have that feeling. I didn't see the game last night. First game I've missed in 2 years since the heartbreaking NE game from 2 seasons ago. I did scan through it after I knew the result thanks to so many people sending txt messages during the game. Just an amazing way to lose a game. It's like we try to invent new ways to do this shit.

    Cincinatti is going down this weekend...

  • Davis broke all of Brett Favre records in College. I would like to see more of him for the rest of the season. I am done with the Manzgina Experiment.

    @bigbaddawgjr said:

    Davis broke all of Brett Favre records in College. I would like to see more of him for the rest of the season. I am done with the Manzgina Experiment.

    Brett Favre? What a horrible human being! I've heard rumors that he got drunk when he was a rookie! They should have run him out of the league.

    πŸ˜‰

    WSS

  • Davis was put into a VERY tough spot, and he had good results. The biggest problem I have with the kid was he threw an interception, an EASY interception that was inexplicably dropped. It was not a good throw, and HOPEFULLY that was just a mental error and something that is not indicative of how he plays, but I believe the knock on him was that he throws picks too often. It was pretty bad. Obviously every QB throws interceptions, so I don't want to say the kid is awful because of one bad play, but the Bengals aren't dropping that.

    I don't worry too much about the slide. I honestly think it was a brain fart and he had a billion things going through his head. That kind of stuff will come with game experience, and while it was totally common sense, I can imagine he was just a little frazzled.

    On a positive note, Davis had multiple throws that were very impressive. He threw a deep out to Benjamin that literally couldn't be thrown ANY better. And what makes it even more impressive is it was a complete timing pattern. The ball wasn't late, early, high or low...it was absolutely perfect. That isn't an easy toss to make. You have to trust your receiver, trust your knowledge of the defense, and just let it fly. I also love the 3rd and 19 throw to get a chunk of yards back, and of course the 4th and 5 which I thought he had NO chance to complete.

    Oh, and the TOUCHDOWN pass! Davis trusts that Duke will handle the rush, which he did, and he steps up in the pocket while keeping his eyes DOWN the field, and then delivers a total strike to Benji. Again, not behind, high, or low...directly in stride. It gave the fans a real moment to cheer for...something not very common this year.

    Against just about ANY other team, I'd be excited to see Davis start again. The problem is, we play Cincy this week, and their defense makes even the most seasoned pro quarterbacks look bad. Often times they get immense pressure with rushing only 4, and yards and points are difficult to come by. If I had to guess, Davis' numbers will look something like 29-49 for 256 yards, 1 td and 2 picks.

    Our running game will contribute 15 carries resulting in a bucket of laughter.

  • Guy has been a 3rd stringer and has likely barely gotten anywhere close to the # of reps McCown and Manziel have had - I'm not too surprised he had some mental mistakes after getting tossed in near the end of a primetime game against a divisional rival.

    He put us in a position to win, which is pretty good.

  • Lets be honest.....for a guy who wasnt here for camp, just stepped into a game late, had no true reps in practice and is very inexperienced....he looked pretty damn good.

    High completion percentage....nice looking passes.....and the highest rating of any Browns QB in a long long time.....

    Now.....remember all the lame excuses we heard LAST year when Johnny went in under the same circumstances???...hmm?....

    Ill remind you....not fair to Johnny, were setting him up to fail, too soon to play him, etc etc etc....

    Well...we musta set Davis up to fail too....which was so unfair.....But, then again, he flourished...

    I bet Mike Pettine LOVES this guy...and who would blame him?.....πŸ˜‰

  • Sorry guys, you can't teach football instincts. You have them or you don't. Last night Davis showed why he was relegated to just above the practice squad. The slide was a jamarcus Russell play all the way. Even 5 graders know enough to get out of bounds.

    Then Pettine, clock management? You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny. He is a class A criminal. Dude make him run laps or some other such shit instead of ruining one man for life and putting in an inbred from Mississippi.

    Pettine, you need to be fired, no you need to be dunked repeatedly in the Lake off the 9th street pier until you get frostbite in all your toes..

    I can't believe some of the people on this board support this moron.

    @edwardejw said:

    Then Pettine, clock management? You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny. He is a class A criminal. Dude make him run laps or some other such shit instead of ruining one man for life and putting in an inbred from Mississippi.

    Clock management was unacceptable, major malfunction. Don't think it was as much JF telling a lie as much as supposed to be cleaning up his act and you get a dang video all over social media as an I don't give a crap just the opposite attitude... If he keeps on the track that he's on, he'll end up in trouble that he can't get out of and won't be our qb any way. BUT COME ON MAN.... INBRED??? Really.....

  • Its official....Davis starts this week.....

    Start the cheering and whining....depending on your inclination.... πŸ˜‰

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Austin-Davis-named-Browns-starting-QB-vs-Bengals/0e1fdb84-a138-48bd-9b35-b83b2bd038bd

  • Here's Pettines quote......sounds reasonable to me....

    Austin took advantage of his opportunity on Monday night. He was prepared, played well and put us in position to win,” Pettine said. β€œHe’s been great in the quarterback room all season and he has earned the right to start on Sunday. We expect him to play well.”

  • Its official....Davis starts this week.....

    Start the cheering and whining....depending on your inclination.... πŸ˜‰

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Austin-Davis-named-Browns-starting-QB-vs-Bengals/0e1fdb84-a138-48bd-9b35-b83b2bd038bd

    @mudfly said:

    Its official....Davis starts this week.....

    Start the cheering and whining....depending on your inclination.... πŸ˜‰

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Austin-Davis-named-Browns-starting-QB-vs-Bengals/0e1fdb84-a138-48bd-9b35-b83b2bd038bd

    I'm fine with this...why not. He looked ok Monday night in the little bit that I saw. But to me...it shows that for all the "this is a week to week thing" and "Johnny isn't done in Cleveland" stuff they're saying to the media. Johnny should get pretty comfy in the doghouse because that's where he's staying the rest of the year and I don't see any way he's back in Cleveland with Pettine as coach. It's possible they're both gone but if Pettine stays...Johnny is playing elsewhere next year.

  • @mudfly said:

    Its official....Davis starts this week.....

    Start the cheering and whining....depending on your inclination.... πŸ˜‰

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Austin-Davis-named-Browns-starting-QB-vs-Bengals/0e1fdb84-a138-48bd-9b35-b83b2bd038bd

    I'm fine with this...why not. He looked ok Monday night in the little bit that I saw. But to me...it shows that for all the "this is a week to week thing" and "Johnny isn't done in Cleveland" stuff they're saying to the media. Johnny should get pretty comfy in the doghouse because that's where he's staying the rest of the year and I don't see any way he's back in Cleveland with Pettine as coach. It's possible they're both gone but if Pettine stays...Johnny is playing elsewhere next year.

    @mark-o said:

    I'm fine with this...why not. He looked ok Monday night in the little bit that I saw.

    Yep, Im fine with it too(100%)....I thought he looked great for his first start as a Brown......eager to see more......

  • Yeah, sure, why not. If Manziel needs more dog house time, sure.

  • He put us in a position to win - that's pretty much all you could ask out of a 3rd stringer in that situation.

    Will he ever be starter material? Odds are against it, but we might as well play him to get an idea.

  • Not a surprise

  • Good with it, see what he's got. Don't think he's even taken any real snaps in practice until now and didn't look bad in a bad position the other night. Letter-Rip!

  • Future Tom Brady, boys.

    Just sit back and enjoy.