Skip to content

Austin Davis named starter against Bungles...

The Browns Board
152 45 5.7k
  • @texasag1969 said:

    He isn't sending a message to Johnny. He's sending a message to Jerry

    There was an article, just yesterday, on NFL.com that is now gone.....POOF!.....which makes me go hmmmmm....

    In it, Jones was lamenting the fact that they have not added a QB to develop behind Romo, then went on to say that they need to add someone......and he mentioned that that guy could have been Johnny, had they picked him in 2014...

    THEN.....he went on to say that it was possible to add a first round guy, but not pay anywhere near a first round pick......like they did with Weeden.....sooooo, who could this "cheap" first round guy be????

    @mudfly said:

    There was an article, just yesterday, on NFL.com that is now gone.....POOF!.....which makes me go hmmmmm....

    In it, Jones was lamenting the fact that they have not added a QB to develop behind Romo, then went on to say that they need to add someone......and he mentioned that that guy could have been Johnny, had they picked him in 2014...

    THEN.....he went on to say that it was possible to add a first round guy, but not pay anywhere near a first round pick......like they did with Weeden.....sooooo, who could this "cheap" first round guy be????

    Jerrah's statements may have been construed as tampering with a player that is signed with another team.

    But, honestly....does anyone mind the tampering?

  • Sigh.

    11223760_10153438444529081_2564385142247

  • There are two factors at play here......and those factors are that the Browns have 2 QBs, and both are really completely unknown commodities.

    I do think a "Final Decision" has to be made on Johnny.....but they do need to see him play.

    Also....I think they want to see if there is any future at all in Austin Yea Baby. They see him with potential.

    So....I don't think we have seen the last of JFF. He will have an audition this year. Just not this game. Maybe the next game and others.

    But....while the Browns are going to want to audition Johnny.....I don't think they believe he has suffered sufficient punishment.

    And he deserves more punishment....and this next game is it.

    After that, it will be either Johnny coming or Johnny going.

  • So what happens if Davis goes down to injury or absolutely caves against Cinn City the first half? JM? Pryor? Hell just give it to Bowe and let him at least run for his life since he doesn't appear to run for anything else.

  • It's probably already been said, but I think this is the wrong decision- not because I don't think Davis had a good 9 minutes, because I think he did. My view is based on the belief (could be erroneous admittedly) that with 5 games to go Pettine has this time to decide if we need to go for another franchise QB in the Draft. If we do we are likely to get first pick of the available QBs so it would be much better to make a final decision on Johnny now. Of course Pettine may have already made that decision by choosing Davis in which case I still think it's the wrong one.

  • No matter how you slice it, this is the third season in a row we've started 3 quarterbacks under center. You're not winning football games with that formula.

  • There are two factors at play here......and those factors are that the Browns have 2 QBs, and both are really completely unknown commodities.

    I do think a "Final Decision" has to be made on Johnny.....but they do need to see him play.

    Also....I think they want to see if there is any future at all in Austin Yea Baby. They see him with potential.

    So....I don't think we have seen the last of JFF. He will have an audition this year. Just not this game. Maybe the next game and others.

    But....while the Browns are going to want to audition Johnny.....I don't think they believe he has suffered sufficient punishment.

    And he deserves more punishment....and this next game is it.

    After that, it will be either Johnny coming or Johnny going.

    @the-gipper said:

    I do think a "Final Decision" has to be made on Johnny.....but they do need to see him play.

    Im thinking they've basically made that decision already.....Id guesstimate its an 80-90% chance that he's gone before next season

    You know, no matter how well Johnny plays, I think this admin doesnt have any faith in him going forward or any trust that he will change.....and its pretty clear they dont like him "as is".....how can 2 years of screwing up, suddenly be washed away in a few weeks???

    @deputydawg said:

    with 5 games to go Pettine has this time to decide if we need to go for another franchise QB in the Draft.

    Im thinking its Austin Davis who gets those 5 games to show he can be that guy.....kinda looks that way, at least.....

    If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy

  • @the-gipper said:

    I do think a "Final Decision" has to be made on Johnny.....but they do need to see him play.

    Im thinking they've basically made that decision already.....Id guesstimate its an 80-90% chance that he's gone before next season

    You know, no matter how well Johnny plays, I think this admin doesnt have any faith in him going forward or any trust that he will change.....and its pretty clear they dont like him "as is".....how can 2 years of screwing up, suddenly be washed away in a few weeks???

    @deputydawg said:

    with 5 games to go Pettine has this time to decide if we need to go for another franchise QB in the Draft.

    Im thinking its Austin Davis who gets those 5 games to show he can be that guy.....kinda looks that way, at least.....

    If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy

    @mudfly said:

    Im thinking they've basically made that decision already.....Id guesstimate its an 80-90% chance that he's gone before next season

    You know, no matter how well Johnny plays, I think this admin doesnt have any faith in him going forward or any trust that he will change.....and its pretty clear they dont like him "as is".....how can 2 years of screwing up, suddenly be washed away in a few weeks???

    Im thinking its Austin Davis who gets those 5 games to show he can be that guy.....kinda looks that way, at least.....

    If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy

    The thing is, I don't think this is the case whatsoever.

    I think the only person that is "out" on Manziel is Pettine. Unfortunately, his contract also clearly states that he has final say on game day rosters. To force him to start Manziel would be a breach of his contract and to fire him mid-season would be terrible PR.

    Haslam and Farmer are stuck up shit creek right now.

  • @mudfly said:

    Im thinking they've basically made that decision already.....Id guesstimate its an 80-90% chance that he's gone before next season

    You know, no matter how well Johnny plays, I think this admin doesnt have any faith in him going forward or any trust that he will change.....and its pretty clear they dont like him "as is".....how can 2 years of screwing up, suddenly be washed away in a few weeks???

    Im thinking its Austin Davis who gets those 5 games to show he can be that guy.....kinda looks that way, at least.....

    If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy

    The thing is, I don't think this is the case whatsoever.

    I think the only person that is "out" on Manziel is Pettine. Unfortunately, his contract also clearly states that he has final say on game day rosters. To force him to start Manziel would be a breach of his contract and to fire him mid-season would be terrible PR.

    Haslam and Farmer are stuck up shit creek right now.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The thing is, I don't think this is the case whatsoever.

    I think the only person that is "out" on Manziel is Pettine. Unfortunately, his contract also clearly states that he has final say on game day rosters. To force him to start Manziel would be a breach of his contract and to fire him mid-season would be terrible PR.

    Haslam and Farmer are stuck up shit creek right now.

    Well...none of us really know what Haslam and Farmer think or the full truth on any of this, so only time will tell.....

    Ill be shocked if the Browns elect to keep the circus in town for another year.....but Ive seen some strange shit happening, so who knows.....

  • @bob806 said:

    While I'm not a Manziel fan, he's started 2 games vs Cincy out of his 5 career starts. One would think Pettine would consider this when he made his decision- Johnny being kind of familiar with what the Bengals bring on D would be an asset.

    Davis has starting experience but has never played the Bengals. Another learning curve to overcome.

    While I understand Pettine's stance on sending a message to Johnny, I think it puts the Browns at a competitive disadvantage this week.

    Going from Manziel to Davis is what puts us at competitive disadvantage against the Bengals?

    Pass the dutchy on the left hand side.

    @mohican said:

    Going from Manziel to Davis is what puts us at competitive disadvantage against the Bengals? Pass the dutchy on the left hand side.

    Agree, but worst part is I own that LP... it was playing in a record store and I made an impulse buy...

    @the-gipper said:

    There are two factors at play here......and those factors are that the Browns have 2 QBs, and both are really completely unknown commodities.

    How long are we going to say that? I would agree that neither is completely known, but c'mon...

    @texasag1969 said:

    So what happens if Davis goes down to injury or absolutely caves against Cinn City the first half? JM? Pryor?

    JM... it's obvious.

    @mudfly said:

    Im thinking they've basically made that decision already.....Id guesstimate its an 80-90% chance that he's gone before next season.

    You know, no matter how well Johnny plays, I think this admin doesnt have any faith in him going forward or any trust that he will change.....and its pretty clear they dont like him "as is".....how can 2 years of screwing up, suddenly be washed away in a few weeks???

    Im thinking its Austin Davis who gets those 5 games to show he can be that guy.....kinda looks that way, at least.....

    If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy.

    Showcase is a possibility, but I think some JM quantification is still needed. The risk is known. The reward? Not so much and it is part of the equation.

    We've seen JM vs. Cinci... twice. Let's give a guy a chance who, IMO, flashed the ability to read a D better than either 2015 starter to date. I do not think it will take long, certainly not 5 games, to confirm my impression... or not.

  • So what happens if Davis goes down to injury or absolutely caves against Cinn City the first half? JM? Pryor? Hell just give it to Bowe and let him at least run for his life since he doesn't appear to run for anything else.

    @texasag1969 said:

    So what happens if Davis goes down to injury or absolutely caves against Cinn City the first half? JM? Pryor? Hell just give it to Bowe and let him at least run for his life since he doesn't appear to run for anything else.

    I don't see him caving, as he looked way too prepared for that to happen. Getting hurt on the other hand is a real possibility while playing behind this offensive, offensive line (pun intended). If that were to happen, then Pet has no choice but to go with John.

    Hopefully Austin gets rid of the ball on time and doesn't take any McCown type shots.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    ........in Cleveland. ..............."Hello Jerry? Understand you may be in the trading business when the season is done. Got a 3 for 1 offer for you to contemplate 'till then. Maybe even 4 for 1 when JG rejoins us."

    HA!....funny you say that....because I was thinking Jerry could NOT turn down the prospect of Johnny AND Gordon as a package deal......both for his first rounder....

    If just one works out....it still was a good deal.....

    And Johnny would have Gordon and Dez to throw to......

    @mudfly said:

    HA!....funny you say that....because I was thinking Jerry could NOT turn down the prospect of Johnny AND Gordon as a package deal......both for his first rounder....

    If just one works out....it still was a good deal.....

    And Johnny would have Gordon and Dez to throw to......

    Johnny throwing to Dez and Gordon. Wow...I would love to see that. Of course, I'd rather see it in CLEVELAND. LOL

  • @mudfly said:

    HA!....funny you say that....because I was thinking Jerry could NOT turn down the prospect of Johnny AND Gordon as a package deal......both for his first rounder....

    If just one works out....it still was a good deal.....

    And Johnny would have Gordon and Dez to throw to......

    Johnny throwing to Dez and Gordon. Wow...I would love to see that. Of course, I'd rather see it in CLEVELAND. LOL

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Johnny throwing to Dez and Gordon. Wow...I would love to see that. Of course, I'd rather see it in CLEVELAND. LOL

    I don't think Gordon is going anywhere. The Browns have invested too much in him to let him just go elsewhere now. If that move was going to be made I think it would have been made before this year began.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    So what happens if Davis goes down to injury or absolutely caves against Cinn City the first half? JM? Pryor? Hell just give it to Bowe and let him at least run for his life since he doesn't appear to run for anything else.

    I don't see him caving, as he looked way too prepared for that to happen. Getting hurt on the other hand is a real possibility while playing behind this offensive, offensive line (pun intended). If that were to happen, then Pet has no choice but to go with John.

    Hopefully Austin gets rid of the ball on time and doesn't take any McCown type shots.

    @d-bone said:

    I don't see him caving, as he looked way too prepared for that to happen. Getting hurt on the other hand is a real possibility while playing behind this offensive, offensive line (pun intended). If that were to happen, then Pet has no choice but to go with John.

    Hopefully Austin gets rid of the ball on time and doesn't take any McCown type shots.

    Do not speak ill of the #2 squad.

  • Here's the REAL bottom line..........................17 years into the comeback of the Browns, we STILL have NO QB!!!! I hope Davis turns into the next Peyton Manning. Would I put money on that? Ain't no way!! The more I hear from Pettine, the stupider he sounds. This "staff" is a JOKE!!! Fire em ALL!

  • @d-bone said:

    I don't see him caving, as he looked way too prepared for that to happen. Getting hurt on the other hand is a real possibility while playing behind this offensive, offensive line (pun intended). If that were to happen, then Pet has no choice but to go with John.

    Hopefully Austin gets rid of the ball on time and doesn't take any McCown type shots.

    Do not speak ill of the #2 squad.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Do not speak ill of the #2 squad.

    lol!

  • So when do we get zombos sat night manziel story lol

  • @the-gipper said:

    I do think a "Final Decision" has to be made on Johnny.....but they do need to see him play.

    Im thinking they've basically made that decision already.....Id guesstimate its an 80-90% chance that he's gone before next season

    You know, no matter how well Johnny plays, I think this admin doesnt have any faith in him going forward or any trust that he will change.....and its pretty clear they dont like him "as is".....how can 2 years of screwing up, suddenly be washed away in a few weeks???

    @deputydawg said:

    with 5 games to go Pettine has this time to decide if we need to go for another franchise QB in the Draft.

    Im thinking its Austin Davis who gets those 5 games to show he can be that guy.....kinda looks that way, at least.....

    If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy

    @mudfly said:

    If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy

    More likely a vindictive Mike PEttine putso him in after the team has completely imploded with no chance for success.

    A loss in Cincinnati means plenty more more able players will go on the IR with phantom injuries.

    Let him lose a couple games and the coach can feel vindicated.

    Only possible bright spot is if the defense steps up for the last few games.

    That might show that at least some players haven't been lost by the coach.

    WSS

  • They have no intention of letting him play. He looked good his last outing and thats what they are shopping. If he starts a few games and sucks then thats lost value.

  • @mudfly said:

    There was an article, just yesterday, on NFL.com that is now gone.....POOF!.....which makes me go hmmmmm....

    In it, Jones was lamenting the fact that they have not added a QB to develop behind Romo, then went on to say that they need to add someone......and he mentioned that that guy could have been Johnny, had they picked him in 2014...

    THEN.....he went on to say that it was possible to add a first round guy, but not pay anywhere near a first round pick......like they did with Weeden.....sooooo, who could this "cheap" first round guy be????

    Jerrah's statements may have been construed as tampering with a player that is signed with another team.

    But, honestly....does anyone mind the tampering?

    @the-gipper said:

    Jerrah's statements may have been construed as tampering with a player that is signed with another team.

    But, honestly....does anyone mind the tampering?

    i said a few days ago that lil chonnie is going to dallas. If not now, during the offseason. He does not want to play in cleveland...