Who would you want to coach us next year? Try to be somewhat realistic
-
I'll do it - I'll post up job listings on craigslist for my coordinator and assistant positions.
Elpreasdor or whatever is also completely manic and ear puncturing. Of those 3 listed, the only realistic candidate is Gruden - and it may not be realistic because it'd cost a lot of money on top of convincing him to leave broadcasting.
More realistic names to replace Pettine more like: Mike Shula, Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels, etc. - even those names would probably be difficult to get here.
Everybody wants to fire Pettine and grab a proven Dungy, Gruden, Saban, Cowher, etc. More than likely if Pettine gets fired we're going to hire Pettine 2.0.
Start mentioning names of low profile college coaches or mid-range assistants around the NFL - because odds are we'll get one of those guys.
-
Josh McDaniels is my number one candidate as of today. I'm not crazy about the dude as a person but he has a lot of good experience and knows the game of football. He's also gotten the first NFL HC crap out of his system from Denver too.
-
I think my top candidate would be Tony Dungy.
He would have the outstanding respect to get the excellent coaches
he would want.
He's seen it all, knows championship football, and influences
people and players just by being the excellent person, coach, and
teacher that he is.
He could take the Browns talent, add maybe three players, and turn it into a winner.
Amazing career. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Dungy
-
Personally, I really dont worry as much about HC as I do about the position coaches and coordinators....these are the guys who coach our players, call the plays, decide on who plays and who doesnt, etc.....
I know the HC is the bottom line....but really, he has less affect on the players and games than most people think....
So, Id still like to see Pettine at the helm, but would welcome an upgrade to the guys who are actually coaching the players......
Truly....there is no "one guy" that I can think of that I believe would just turn this team around instantly, unless that guy has an awesome staff already in place.....who that guy is?.....I have no idea......
-
Gruden.
-
I can't really think of the "one guy", and even if there WAS a consensus #1 candidate, the odds of getting that person to Cleveland are remote. I guess if I had to pick one it would be Gruden. I don't care if he won a Superbowl with Dungy's player, he still won a damn Superbow, and he took the Raiders pretty far as well. As far as who the coordinators would be, I have no clue. And THEY would be the ones that truly coach the players on a daily basis.
-
The only guy mentioned that I would like to see as the next HC, and would realistically consider coming here would be Josh McDaniel.
-
I want Pet, but with a new DC.
Not very realistic, but I was not kidding when I told our BUF visitor that if they are one and done with Rexy, I wanted him to come DC for us. Where I think Rex's bravado is a team detriment as HC, I think it is a D asset as DC. The guy can coach and inspire D.
The other position where coaching has to improve is OL. As a group they are underperforming. The whole is far short of the sum of the parts. Were we not set with Flip... and I think he has earned another season... I'd look at Munchak for OC. He has done fine work at PTG. As it is I don't think we could get him without creating an Asst. OC position.
-
I can't really think of the "one guy", and even if there WAS a consensus #1 candidate, the odds of getting that person to Cleveland are remote. I guess if I had to pick one it would be Gruden. I don't care if he won a Superbowl with Dungy's player, he still won a damn Superbow, and he took the Raiders pretty far as well. As far as who the coordinators would be, I have no clue. And THEY would be the ones that truly coach the players on a daily basis.
I can't really think of the "one guy", and even if there WAS a consensus #1 candidate, the odds of getting that person to Cleveland are remote. I guess if I had to pick one it would be Gruden. I don't care if he won a Superbowl with Dungy's player, he still won a damn Superbow, and he took the Raiders pretty far as well. As far as who the coordinators would be, I have no clue. And THEY would be the ones that truly coach the players on a daily basis.
The bucs were crippled after the SB year in terms of salary cap, injuries, etc. - kinda like what's happening to the Ravens now (which is something I am not complaining about)
After they finally got a west coast QB (Garcia) and some decent talent they had a couple more winning seasons and a playoff appearance before firing him.
----
But nobody should get their hopes up, if the people who are calling to fire Pettine get their wish, we'll be getting a Shurmur probably.
I'd be perfectly OK with retooling the defensive staff and keeping Pett. The only thing I'll be mad about is if we make no personnel changes - cleaning house may not be necessary though.
-
Gruden and Dungy proved they did it before (Gruden even won a SB against a team he raised up to SB level). I don't want to know about people who never proved anything. Or whose heydays were in college.
-
-
Anyone but fat ass Pettine.
-
A good GM should already have in mind or good relations to the guy he wants on the sidelines than you let the GM get his man. Farmer was not Pets Man. do not wash, rinse & repeat in the FO. They must work together & not out do the other.. If any of Belly Checks active or former staff would like to return to finish the job b4 Art got stupid would be a good start. Did Farmer find his coach on the Stanford/Cal game trip? who knows what Haslem/Farmer is thinking either?
-
Hue Jackson or Adam Gase.
-
Another guy I would be interested in is Carolina's defensive coordinator Sean McDermott.
But who am I kidding, he would probably have zero interest in coming to coach the Browns.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login