Skip to content

Head coaches who were also coordinators

The Browns Board
17 10 514
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Good question, a lot of HC's call plays or defenses, but still have coordinators on both sides of the ball.

    But better restrict to "modern day" HCs... back in the day staffs were miniscule and titles were different.

    Most recent I can think of is George Allen, who served a both HC and OC in the early seventies for Washington.

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #5

    It does seem tho that a HC that comes from a defensive background has more success than a HC from the offensive side

  • B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Shurmur was both HC and OC for us. Oh wait, you said successful... Sean Payton? He at least used to call his own plays. Jason Garrett used to call his own plays too but Dallas has an OC now.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I read the question as the HC having been Coordinator, then HC for the same team.

    George Seifert succeeded Bill Walsh in San Francisco.

    Blanton Collier ('64 NFL Champion HC) succeeded Paul Brown in Cleveland, but I DON'T know whether or not Collier was a Coordinator for the Browns.

    Mike

  • I read the question as the HC having been Coordinator, then HC for the same team.

    George Seifert succeeded Bill Walsh in San Francisco.

    Blanton Collier ('64 NFL Champion HC) succeeded Paul Brown in Cleveland, but I DON'T know whether or not Collier was a Coordinator for the Browns.

    Mike

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @canton-mike said:

    I read the question as the HC having been Coordinator, then HC for the same team.

    George Seifert succeeded Bill Walsh in San Francisco.

    Blanton Collier ('64 NFL Champion HC) succeeded Paul Brown in Cleveland, but I DON'T know whether or not Collier was a Coordinator for the Browns.

    Mike

    I met one man filling both positions at the same time.

    As in why can't Pet at least supervise the defense unless he sucks as bad as his little buddy?

    WSS

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Steve,

    When in Cleveland, Marty served as his own Offensive Coordinator.

    Mike

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #10

    I knew what you meant, Steve... must stem from us thinking so much alike.

    Ding ding ding... Marty!!!

    I mean, refusing to hire an OC only got him fired. How'd I forget that!

    Peyton did call plays in NOLA... still does, but always had an OC.

    Pet called the defensive plays last year. Gave it up this year to focus on the O.

  • I knew what you meant, Steve... must stem from us thinking so much alike.

    Ding ding ding... Marty!!!

    I mean, refusing to hire an OC only got him fired. How'd I forget that!

    Peyton did call plays in NOLA... still does, but always had an OC.

    Pet called the defensive plays last year. Gave it up this year to focus on the O.

    RichiswhereR Richiswhere wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @tour2ma said:

    I knew what you meant, Steve... must stem from us thinking so much alike.

    Ding ding ding... Marty!!!

    I mean, refusing to hire an OC only got him fired. How'd I forget that!

    Peyton did call plays in NOLA... still does, but always had an OC.

    Pet called the defensive plays last year. Gave it up this year to focus on the O.

    So we went from 18th to 32nd against the run with Pettine working on the defense and now we go from 17th to 32nd rushing the ball with Pettine working with the offense. 😵

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #12

    If memory serves me correctly, I think Halas was a HC and owner.

    The NFL will never see that again.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Sherman may have done it in Green Bay. He called plays at A&M.

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #14

    Here's some that come to mind:

    Tom Landry

    Joe Gibbs

    Don Coryell

    Andy Reid

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I know in Philly Reid produced quite a string of OCs including Childress and Morninweg, and I thought he took Pederson with him to KC to be his OC.

  • I know in Philly Reid produced quite a string of OCs including Childress and Morninweg, and I thought he took Pederson with him to KC to be his OC.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @tour2ma said:

    I know in Philly Reid produced quite a string of OCs including Childress and Morninweg, and I thought he took Pederson with him to KC to be his OC.

    Good points but the year I was thinking about was 1999. However, turns out I was was wrong. His OC in 99 was Rod Dowhower. Sorry about that.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #17

    lol... How could you forgot Dowerhower... 😉