Browns Offseason/Drafting 2016
-
Zeke is gonna be a good football player but RB is way down on the needs of this team. Also, RB's are often round in later rounds which is what I'd much prefer. As of this second, I'm all in on Jaylon Smith from ND. The Browns desperately need a guy on defense to rally behind, and Jaylon is a beast. He's a day one starter in our weakest position IMO (LB) and could be the leader in a hurry.
For the rest of the draft, I have two scenarios depending on the play of Manziel. If Manziel plays poorly, I get this gut feeling that Conner Cook is going to fall although he's IMO again the best QB in the draft. I'd be totally happy hopping back into the later first (but jesus christ not at 22!) to draft him even if that means couging up a high 2nd. If Manziel plays well, draft BPA between DE and WR with the 2nd round pick. Michael Thomas from the Buckeyes is an interesting prospect there at WR but I'm not in draft mode yet of guys I like or don't fully.
Since I only watch the Buckeyes by in large, a couple guys I'd love to see as well is Braxton Miller and Darron Lee (if he declares, hope he doesn't) if it works out.
-
Zeke is gonna be a good football player but RB is way down on the needs of this team. Also, RB's are often round in later rounds which is what I'd much prefer. As of this second, I'm all in on Jaylon Smith from ND. The Browns desperately need a guy on defense to rally behind, and Jaylon is a beast. He's a day one starter in our weakest position IMO (LB) and could be the leader in a hurry.
For the rest of the draft, I have two scenarios depending on the play of Manziel. If Manziel plays poorly, I get this gut feeling that Conner Cook is going to fall although he's IMO again the best QB in the draft. I'd be totally happy hopping back into the later first (but jesus christ not at 22!) to draft him even if that means couging up a high 2nd. If Manziel plays well, draft BPA between DE and WR with the 2nd round pick. Michael Thomas from the Buckeyes is an interesting prospect there at WR but I'm not in draft mode yet of guys I like or don't fully.
Since I only watch the Buckeyes by in large, a couple guys I'd love to see as well is Braxton Miller and Darron Lee (if he declares, hope he doesn't) if it works out.
-
For satellite back, see Duke Johnson.
-
Maybe he can't cover (not sure but I'll accept your premise), but he's damn sure stopping the run, and last I checked, that's what we need. Dansby can cover.
I hope you're right, but I doubt it. Crow is part of the problem, and I can't agree with any Duke-EZE comparisons.
Maybe he can't cover (not sure but I'll accept your premise), but he's damn sure stopping the run, and last I checked, that's what we need. Dansby can cover.
Again, accepting the premise...
Nothing wrong with pairing a pass with a run-leaning ILB. Problem I would have is spending a #1 on a one-dimensional ILB.
-
Zeke and Ragland will both be drafted in the 1st.. A more realistic pairing is Lynch/Goff and then Thomas for a decent WR at top of the second.
-
Maybe he can't cover (not sure but I'll accept your premise), but he's damn sure stopping the run, and last I checked, that's what we need. Dansby can cover.
Again, accepting the premise...
Nothing wrong with pairing a pass with a run-leaning ILB. Problem I would have is spending a #1 on a one-dimensional ILB.
-
-
You seen much of Bosa's coverage skills? I have not, just curious. He's been a 4-3 DE, so probably not used in coverage so much.
Ive watch most of OSU's games and like Bosa ok....but not nearly as high on drafting him as others seem to be.....and definitely dont want him as an OLB.......we have too many DE's playing LB already.....
And i cant say Ive seen him really cover much, but doubt he has the speed for that in the NFL....
I just want multi skilled - 3 down OLBs......then, whatever.....
-
Hence....Jaylon.....
Hes as close to a 3 down player as were gonna get....
Run, rush & cover.....he does em all.....
I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...
If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?
-
Hence....Jaylon.....
Hes as close to a 3 down player as were gonna get....
Run, rush & cover.....he does em all.....
I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...
If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?
I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...
If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?
That's interesting to ponder, I don't have a great answer but here's a pretty solid scouting report: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082844/jaylon-smith
I've only watched a half of a ND this season admittedly, but the guy just looks incredible out there. Quick and a tackling machine who has been making defensive calls for ND starting a true sophomore. The only negative I see actually is the fact that he won't even be legally allowed to buy a beer come draft day so hopefully youth and millions of dollars don't mix badly.
-
I thought he was an ILB, yet that's listing him as OLB?
-
Hence....Jaylon.....
Hes as close to a 3 down player as were gonna get....
Run, rush & cover.....he does em all.....
I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...
If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?
I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...
If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?
I don't think this guy has played hardly at all this year.......or am I confusing him with the guy from UCLA?
-
I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...
If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?
I don't think this guy has played hardly at all this year.......or am I confusing him with the guy from UCLA?
I don't think this guy has played hardly at all this year.......or am I confusing him with the guy from UCLA?
You're thinking of Miles Jack who tore his ACL. Gft, as I understand he plays both positions at ND but he projects because of his abilities to the OLB position which is way more coveted in today's NFL.
-
Pretty good write-up on him. Give me a guy who can call the D plays AND has the instincts to find the ball. If he can play like Sean Lee without the injuries (inside) or Von Miller (outside), then take him.
But trade down to get him if that is the Browns first choice guy.
-
Excellent post Bengal fan. From the short time I've been on this site most non Browns seem to come on here to wind us up, but your post was polite, well put together and has generated a very healthy discussion with no-one as yet attacking one another.
-

-
Maybe he can't cover (not sure but I'll accept your premise), but he's damn sure stopping the run, and last I checked, that's what we need. Dansby can cover.
Again, accepting the premise...
Nothing wrong with pairing a pass with a run-leaning ILB. Problem I would have is spending a #1 on a one-dimensional ILB.
Again, accepting the premise...
Nothing wrong with pairing a pass with a run-leaning ILB. Problem I would have is spending a #1 on a one-dimensional ILB.
Here's PFF's assessment in their All-SEC article from yesterday:
"Ragland brings a strong all-around game to the table as he grades +10.7 against the run, +8.2 in coverage, and +9.3 as a rusher (three sacks, 5 hits, 10 hurries on 75 attempts)."
Unsympathetic wrong yet again. Glad we only accepted the premise for the sake of discussion.
-
Hence....Jaylon.....
Hes as close to a 3 down player as were gonna get....
Run, rush & cover.....he does em all.....
I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...
If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?
I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...
If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?
Well Tour, I cant answer that because I haven't watched enough of him either...(so, he's just my preliminary crush)....
But, my initial reaction is that he reminds me of the Mingo I saw at LSU....IE: flying all over the field....except he's a solid knock out tackler....
-
You seen much of Bosa's coverage skills? I have not, just curious. He's been a 4-3 DE, so probably not used in coverage so much.
bosa's been very good when they've dropped him into zone. He could play strong side OLB'er in a system that just drops him into zone, as those guys are basically DE's that standup a little and drop back 'some" but strictly into zone. That's how Armonty and Kruger should have been used. One of the reasons I "was" so high on Bosa was cause of his cover skills, I've seen him jump a route and bat a pass down without making contact with the receiver. I mean he's real 5 tool player no doubt, but don't want him here if he thinks Cleveland is a dirthole. You don't have to love the place but nobody like that is gonna be happy and productive if he thinks the city he plays is a shithole. He obviously thinks the people in Cleveland are shit as well even though he didn't outright say that, but it's clear what he thinks of this area.
-
I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...
If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?
Well Tour, I cant answer that because I haven't watched enough of him either...(so, he's just my preliminary crush)....
But, my initial reaction is that he reminds me of the Mingo I saw at LSU....IE: flying all over the field....except he's a solid knock out tackler....
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login