Skip to content

''We've had a little bad luck this year"

The Browns Board
23 20 1.2k
  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #2

    "We're a lot closer than a lot of people would give us credit for"

    Too bad we're not playing horseshoes or hand grenades.... We'd be awesome.

  • ''We've had a little bad luck this year - losing by field goals, getting called offside, getting an interception versus Denver in the latter parts of the game and overtime,'' he said. ''We're a lot closer than a lot of people would give us credit for. Nobody is going to believe it until we actually go out there and turn it around and put some wins together. But right now we're in the same boat as the San Francisco 49ers and we're just clawing for a win.''

    https://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-donte-whitner-credits-49ers-teaching-leadership-231703000--nfl.html

    I get what he means, and I am sure he is sincere, but when I first read this I thought "Maybe we need to draft a rabbit's foot." Each season has its own potential, but seeing a big turn next year still seems like a tall order. Good to see that there is still a desire to play out the rest of this season as well as possible.

    B browns52 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @tinythinker said:

    I get what he means, and I am sure he is sincere, but when I first read this I thought "Maybe we need to draft a rabbit's foot." Each season has its own potential, but seeing a big turn next year still seems like a tall order. Good to see that there is still a desire to play out the rest of this season as well as possible.

    yeah, there is desire alright...they have the desire to pick up that paycheck and deposit it with a desired smile.....heheheheeee

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I'm calling it now-next year playoffs. Back me up on this Z. 🙂

  • T TheDumbAss wrote on last edited by
    #5

    I'm not "Z", but I will tell you what he will say! Oh yeah, playoffs next year for sure! 12-4 is the worst the Browns will do, and we will win the division by three games. The Bengals will be hit by a plague of injuries, the Ravens need to retool their whole team, and the Steelers are totally inept!

    If you want to know the truth, then Zombo is the last person you want to hear from! Take it from me, you are at least three years from a winning record, and 5 years from the playoffs!

    Sorry, but these are the cold, hard, and truthful facts! I will give the Browns fans props for being a very loyal fan base, but sadly you are far from being a contender!

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I heard that Whitner says he wants the coaches to stay.

    Interesting. Maybe the coaches could learn to communicate

    effectively for a change.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Offense is not very far off. Another year in the system and a healthy unit and the defense could be solid.

  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Whitner is old. No other team would benefit from a trade so naturally the old guy wants the coaches to stay. How about playing for the paycheck just once this year. This team will win the division next year if The other three teams get hijacked to Cuba. This is a bad team.

    No Kool aid for me. I watch college teams that have more discipline, passion and grit than this poor excuse for an NFL product.

    Good Luck on Sunday, Manziel, you will need it. Hawkins, Hartline, Barnidge, are all beat up.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #9

    A little?.. Berea has just about imploded!.. Stay tuned!

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #10

    ''We've had a little bad luck this year - losing by field goals, getting called offside, getting an interception versus Denver in the latter parts of the game and overtime,'' he said.

    What would help is if any of the things Whitner listed had anything to do with "luck".

  • SojuS Soju wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I've never heard of something so stupid in all my life. You don't bad luck your way to a 2-10 record. Geez.

    The good teams make "those first downs," don't allow other teams to get close enough to win with that "field goal," or "throw interceptions in OT," and they certainly don't get "called for offsides" as much as the Browns do.

    We are exactly what our record indicates we are. A bottom cellar team.

    No, luck has nothing to do with it. Bad teams make bad plays consistently, and that's where we are right now.

  • lodiloboL lodilobo wrote on last edited by lodilobo
    #12

    I'm always hopeful in August....usually predict 12 - 4 season. After all this crap that has been exposed this season, with no solution in sight, and no indication that Haslam will correct it....well....I expect another losing season. Only the schedule will determine how bad. I t could be 5 - 11, or 1 - 15. Remember....this team went from 7 -9 last year and showed some fight, to what we are looking at today. If Haslam makes any moves to improve the team....I mean cleans house, and replaces them with legitimate coaches / football people, then we could see improvement. If he keeps Pettine and the coaching staff intact, it would be my preference that he sells the team. That will be like saying.."Screw you guys. I'm making money...who needs you?"

  • I'm not "Z", but I will tell you what he will say! Oh yeah, playoffs next year for sure! 12-4 is the worst the Browns will do, and we will win the division by three games. The Bengals will be hit by a plague of injuries, the Ravens need to retool their whole team, and the Steelers are totally inept!

    If you want to know the truth, then Zombo is the last person you want to hear from! Take it from me, you are at least three years from a winning record, and 5 years from the playoffs!

    Sorry, but these are the cold, hard, and truthful facts! I will give the Browns fans props for being a very loyal fan base, but sadly you are far from being a contender!

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @thedumbass said:

    I'm not "Z", but I will tell you what he will say! Oh yeah, playoffs next year for sure! 12-4 is the worst the Browns will do, and we will win the division by three games. The Bengals will be hit by a plague of injuries, the Ravens need to retool their whole team, and the Steelers are totally inept!

    If you want to know the truth, then Zombo is the last person you want to hear from! Take it from me, you are at least three years from a winning record, and 5 years from the playoffs!

    Sorry, but these are the cold, hard, and truthful facts! I will give the Browns fans props for being a very loyal fan base, but sadly you are far from being a contender!

    Take it from you? Why? who the hell are you?

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Uh...yeah, we've had some bad luck, but so have a lot of teams. So, what about the highest point differential in the league? How about getting blown out during the past 4-5 games, or whatever it is. How about the lack of tackling, the miserable OLB's, the lack of first round talent, the lack of playmakers on either side of the ball, the poor clock management, the ridiculous penalties, and....

    I'm done.

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I think at times luck is involved in football as the ball tends to bounce funny sometimes but with the Browns only winning 2 games thus far to try and place the blame on some bad luck is a cop out and not facing the reality of poor play and mistakes and mental errors as being the primary factors for losing.

  • I'm calling it now-next year playoffs. Back me up on this Z. 🙂

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'm calling it now-next year playoffs. Back me up on this Z. 🙂

    There is no reason why not.

    But we should probably unveil our announcement until after the draft and free agency.

    Zombo

  • T The User from Cleveland wrote on last edited by
    #17

    "We're a lot closer than a lot of people would give us credit for"

    If the Browns are close, then every other team in the league are bonafide Super Bowl contenders.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm calling it now-next year playoffs. Back me up on this Z. 🙂

    There is no reason why not.

    But we should probably unveil our announcement until after the draft and free agency.

    Zombo

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Zombo said:

    There is no reason why not.

    But we should probably unveil our announcement until after the draft and free agency.

    Zombo

    I defer to you oh mighty Z, I defer. 😆

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Many injuries can be ascribed to luck... that's about it.

  • DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I would like to apply to be an acolyte of The Great Zomboni and TexasAG1969. I believe in our destiny to make the Playoffs next year and rule the North!

  • I'm not "Z", but I will tell you what he will say! Oh yeah, playoffs next year for sure! 12-4 is the worst the Browns will do, and we will win the division by three games. The Bengals will be hit by a plague of injuries, the Ravens need to retool their whole team, and the Steelers are totally inept!

    If you want to know the truth, then Zombo is the last person you want to hear from! Take it from me, you are at least three years from a winning record, and 5 years from the playoffs!

    Sorry, but these are the cold, hard, and truthful facts! I will give the Browns fans props for being a very loyal fan base, but sadly you are far from being a contender!

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @thedumbass said:

    I'm not "Z", but I will tell you what he will say! Oh yeah, playoffs next year for sure! 12-4 is the worst the Browns will do, and we will win the division by three games. The Bengals will be hit by a plague of injuries, the Ravens need to retool their whole team, and the Steelers are totally inept!

    If you want to know the truth, then Zombo is the last person you want to hear from! Take it from me, you are at least three years from a winning record, and 5 years from the playoffs!

    Sorry, but these are the cold, hard, and truthful facts! I will give the Browns fans props for being a very loyal fan base, but sadly you are far from being a contender!

    If 3-4 players is far.....then yes, we are far.

    (If you include a competent GM/coach....a bit farther than that.)