Skip to content

2016 Browns draft

The Browns Board
54 18 2.2k
  • Right....Browns have very average to below average players.....

    This past week, based upon how they are playing now, I counted a bunch of guys playing significant minutes that I dont think would start or play on most teams.....and only a handful of players Id consider really solid.....

    Upper tier(would start anywhere)....Thomas...(our one and only elite)

    Good starters(would start most places).....Dansby, Schwartz, T. Williams, Whitner, Mack, Barnidge, Benji, D. Bryant, Shelton, Starks, Duke....

    Avg to Below avg...(would be back ups most places)....Gaines, Gipson, Desir, Robertson, Kruger, Mingo, Crow, Johnny, Erving, Pasztor, Gabe, Pryor, Moore, Bademosi, Cooper, Hughes, Orchard, A. Bryant, Kirksey, Poyer

    So...you need about 30-35 good players for a game....and, by my count, we have 12.....and the rest are undeveloped rookies(who probably will get better) and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players....

    I think Gipson could return to form next year and Orchard, Cooper and Kirksey will also develop into players over time......but.....

  • I like how Crow is coming along when they run him between the T's.

    And I think the Erving, Gilbert, West and Mayle picks along with Bowe sighting (intentional miswording) gets Farmer Brown a well deserved permanent vacation. He gets a 1 year reprieve on JM until we see what happens over an entire starting season. But that isn't enough to save him IMHO.

  • @medinadawg said:

    JMHO, if Gordon is reinstated, and he will be, our receivers are just fine. I'm hoping for big things for Pryor. The kid is off-the-charts in athleticism and if power-forwards from basketball can become great tight-ends, the sky's the limit for Pryor.

    yep....I got hope for both of them and have assumed that Farmer is waiting for Josh to return....

    Just cannot say that I have "faith" in either one as our #1.......Gordon is a huge question mark and Pryor has yet to catch one pass in the NFL.....so he's just a project and not someone who we can really count on to be productive....

    None the less.....fingers crossed.....cause if they BOTH show up....watch out....😉

    @mudfly said:

    Pryor has yet to catch one pass in the NFL.

    He did run the ball, though. For a -1 yard gain! And he was targeted twice. So he's got that going for him.

  • Right....Browns have very average to below average players.....

    This past week, based upon how they are playing now, I counted a bunch of guys playing significant minutes that I dont think would start or play on most teams.....and only a handful of players Id consider really solid.....

    Upper tier(would start anywhere)....Thomas...(our one and only elite)

    Good starters(would start most places).....Dansby, Schwartz, T. Williams, Whitner, Mack, Barnidge, Benji, D. Bryant, Shelton, Starks, Duke....

    Avg to Below avg...(would be back ups most places)....Gaines, Gipson, Desir, Robertson, Kruger, Mingo, Crow, Johnny, Erving, Pasztor, Gabe, Pryor, Moore, Bademosi, Cooper, Hughes, Orchard, A. Bryant, Kirksey, Poyer

    So...you need about 30-35 good players for a game....and, by my count, we have 12.....and the rest are undeveloped rookies(who probably will get better) and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players....

    I think Gipson could return to form next year and Orchard, Cooper and Kirksey will also develop into players over time......but.....

    @mudfly said:

    I think Gipson could return to form next year...

    I think it was after the 49er game when Pet addressed Gip's play. Basically said with our weakness at corner he's had to be assigned as deep help. That simply does not play to his strength which is to play centerfield as he was doing in 2014 before he was injured.

  • @mudfly said:

    I think Gipson could return to form next year...

    I think it was after the 49er game when Pet addressed Gip's play. Basically said with our weakness at corner he's had to be assigned as deep help. That simply does not play to his strength which is to play centerfield as he was doing in 2014 before he was injured.

    @tour2ma said:

    I think it was after the 49er game when Pet addressed Gip's play. Basically said with our weakness at corner he's had to be assigned as deep help. That simply does not play to his strength which is to play centerfield as he was doing in 2014 before he was injured.

    Ah....didnt hear that and really haven't watched him isolated this year.....I will say he's having a rough season....though this might help explain some of those missed assignments that appear to keep happening.....but the sloppy play and missed tackles are getting ridiculous and, to my eye, indicate less effort or possibly a lingering injury...was credited with 3 or 4 missed tackles just this week, which is a whole season for some players....and on a couple, he was in position to tackle for a loss, but instead gave up a big play.....

  • @tour2ma said:

    I think it was after the 49er game when Pet addressed Gip's play. Basically said with our weakness at corner he's had to be assigned as deep help. That simply does not play to his strength which is to play centerfield as he was doing in 2014 before he was injured.

    Ah....didnt hear that and really haven't watched him isolated this year.....I will say he's having a rough season....though this might help explain some of those missed assignments that appear to keep happening.....but the sloppy play and missed tackles are getting ridiculous and, to my eye, indicate less effort or possibly a lingering injury...was credited with 3 or 4 missed tackles just this week, which is a whole season for some players....and on a couple, he was in position to tackle for a loss, but instead gave up a big play.....

    @mudfly said:

    Ah....didnt hear that and really haven't watched him isolated this year.....I will say he's having a rough season....though this might help explain some of those missed assignments that appear to keep happening.....but the sloppy play and missed tackles are getting ridiculous and, to my eye, indicate less effort or possibly a lingering injury...was credited with 3 or 4 missed tackles just this week, which is a whole season for some players....and on a couple, he was in position to tackle for a loss, but instead gave up a big play.....

    I totally agree. Poorest play I have seen from him over these past 2 years.

  • @mudfly said:

    Ah....didnt hear that and really haven't watched him isolated this year.....I will say he's having a rough season....though this might help explain some of those missed assignments that appear to keep happening.....but the sloppy play and missed tackles are getting ridiculous and, to my eye, indicate less effort or possibly a lingering injury...was credited with 3 or 4 missed tackles just this week, which is a whole season for some players....and on a couple, he was in position to tackle for a loss, but instead gave up a big play.....

    I totally agree. Poorest play I have seen from him over these past 2 years.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I totally agree. Poorest play I have seen from him over these past 2 years.

    And...now.....Id expect the negotiations with him to be rough.....just like last year.....

    With the way he's played this year, I dont see the Browns breaking the bank and I dont see him being happy with less......

  • Unless we take Elliott as our 1st rounder then this is the guy we need to move as our second draft pick. That player he stiffarms weighs around 255lbs if you didn't see it last night. MSU centered their whole gameplan around stopping him first and paid the price with a 38-0 drubbing.

  • I don't think there's any way we can NOT draft a QB. Look at what Jacksonville, Minnesota, Oakland, Tennessee, and Tampa Bay did. They take a young QB that they wanted, and they stick with him. I think it's the blue print for how to make a quality NFL team. I realize that QB is only one position, and we have serious talent deprivation EVERYWHERE, but if we're going to have a new GM, then he will probably want his own QB.

    In a perfect world, Johnny would be our guy. I'd ABSOLUTELY love to NOT spend ANOTHER first round pick on a QB, but I don't see a way around it anymore. Johnny is a loose cannon, and will either be drunk or injured (I hope I'm wrong).

    You draft Goff, and let him sit half a season, or more. You start McCown, you get Gordon back (stop laughing, I feel he's coming back), you add another RB in the mix, and you overpay a free agent WR to get his ass to Cleveland. You draft defense in the second and third round.

    I'm sure I'll change my mind 107 more times, but this is how I feel right now. LOL

  • Unless we take Elliott as our 1st rounder then this is the guy we need to move as our second draft pick. That player he stiffarms weighs around 255lbs if you didn't see it last night. MSU centered their whole gameplan around stopping him first and paid the price with a 38-0 drubbing.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Unless we take Elliott as our 1st rounder then this is the guy we need to move as our second draft pick. That player he stiffarms weighs around 255lbs if you didn't see it last night. MSU centered their whole gameplan around stopping him first and paid the price with a 38-0 drubbing.

    Henry carried the ball 20 times for 75 yards, he wasn't responsible for the ass kicking handed out to MSU.

    I would credit the Bama defense for that.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Unless we take Elliott as our 1st rounder then this is the guy we need to move as our second draft pick. That player he stiffarms weighs around 255lbs if you didn't see it last night. MSU centered their whole gameplan around stopping him first and paid the price with a 38-0 drubbing.

    Henry carried the ball 20 times for 75 yards, he wasn't responsible for the ass kicking handed out to MSU.

    I would credit the Bama defense for that.

    @canton-dawg said:

    Henry carried the ball 20 times for 75 yards, he wasn't responsible for the ass kicking handed out to MSU.

    I would credit the Bama defense for that.

    Actually is was all the play action against 8 men in the box that set up the Bama O. As soon as they made that adjustment is when they starting moving the ball consistently. Announcers got it right when they said he "served as a decoy" so the offense could move the ball. They had to respect a 245 lb. quality back and dared Bama to win it on Coker's arm.

    I don't disagree on the defense either though. They played lights out.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Henry carried the ball 20 times for 75 yards, he wasn't responsible for the ass kicking handed out to MSU.

    I would credit the Bama defense for that.

    Actually is was all the play action against 8 men in the box that set up the Bama O. As soon as they made that adjustment is when they starting moving the ball consistently. Announcers got it right when they said he "served as a decoy" so the offense could move the ball. They had to respect a 245 lb. quality back and dared Bama to win it on Coker's arm.

    I don't disagree on the defense either though. They played lights out.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Actually is was all the play action against 8 men in the box that set up the Bama O. As soon as they made that adjustment is when they starting moving the ball consistently. Announcers got it right when they said he "served as a decoy" so the offense could move the ball. They had to respect a 245 lb. quality back and dared Bama to win it on Coker's arm.

    I don't disagree on the defense either though. They played lights out.

    No thanks on the Alabama running back.....been there...done that... all too recently for my taste.

  • @cainedesoulis said:

    1st

    2nd

    3rd

    4th

    5th

    5th comp

    5th comp

    5th comp

    6th

    7th

    7th comp

    Thats our picks btw

    It's too bad we couldn't bundle and trade some of those compensatory picks.

    @canton-dawg said:

    It's too bad we couldn't bundle and trade some of those compensatory picks.

    We can now. The rules have been changed IIRC

  • You don't RC... the trading of compensatory has been approved to start with the 2017 draft.

    We have too many to allow it this year... or something...

    As for Henry... he is simply not a ZBS RB. So unless we are going to change our Offense for him...

  • You don't RC... the trading of compensatory has been approved to start with the 2017 draft.

    We have too many to allow it this year... or something...

    As for Henry... he is simply not a ZBS RB. So unless we are going to change our Offense for him...

    @tour2ma said:

    You don't RC... the trading of compensatory has been approved to start with the 2017 draft.

    We have too many to allow it this year... or something...

    As for Henry... he is simply not a ZBS RB. So unless we are going to change our Offense for him...

    Shit. I could have sworn I read it was approved for this draft.

  • Unless we take Elliott as our 1st rounder then this is the guy we need to move as our second draft pick. That player he stiffarms weighs around 255lbs if you didn't see it last night. MSU centered their whole gameplan around stopping him first and paid the price with a 38-0 drubbing.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Unless we take Elliott as our 1st rounder then this is the guy we need to move as our second draft pick. That player he stiffarms weighs around 255lbs if you didn't see it last night. MSU centered their whole gameplan around stopping him first and paid the price with a 38-0 drubbing.

    Yes, one great play by a Bama back means they will be great forever.