Skip to content

Farmer and Pettine both fired. Official

Locked The Browns Board
325 70 11.2k
  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #86

    Interesting Pettine article today.....basically saying he's gonna fire some coaches, if given another year.....

    And another reference to his refreshing....and overtly honest.....way of speaking.....link below....

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000613439/article/pettine-hard-to-justify-keeping-staff-together-if-i-stay

    Snippets below.....

    Although we can't fault him for his honesty -- as reporters and writers, it is what we've always craved from coaches -- it's hard to imagine the impact Pettine's words from Thursday had on his staff heading into the season finale against the Steelers.

    "Will there likely be some changes? If I were to stay here, it would be hard to justify keeping the staff completely together," Pettine said, via Cleveland.com. "And there likely would have to be some changes made, but I won't get into specifics."

    "It's been a source of frustration," Pettine said. "It's tough for me, too, when that's my area of expertise and it's an area where we've fallen short, especially this year where I felt like we've over achieved offensively. If you look at the roster, the investment, we've underachieved (on defense).

    "We're not going to make excuses. It is a source of frustration, disappointment and something that myself and the defensive staff show up here every day to work and get corrected. Some areas we've gotten better and others we haven't."

    So.....message to Jimmy......"Give me another year and Ill fire the bums and get this thing straight"....

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #87

    The more I think, the more I want to keep Pettine. Not sure why, just a feeling.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #88

    It's a good feeling, Chris... go with it.

  • The more I think, the more I want to keep Pettine. Not sure why, just a feeling.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @gftchris said:

    The more I think, the more I want to keep Pettine. Not sure why, just a feeling.

    @tour2ma said:

    It's a good feeling, Chris... go with it.

    Agreed.....

    Its exhausting just thinking of the alternative. I might even have to go back on sabitical, if they start over.....again.....

  • @gftchris said:

    The more I think, the more I want to keep Pettine. Not sure why, just a feeling.

    @tour2ma said:

    It's a good feeling, Chris... go with it.

    Agreed.....

    Its exhausting just thinking of the alternative. I might even have to go back on sabitical, if they start over.....again.....

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #90

    @mudfly said:

    Agreed.....

    Its exhausting just thinking of the alternative. I might even have to go back on sabitical, if they start over.....again.....

    count me in agreement as well.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #91

    Me, too... at least if the replacement was Kelly. I don't think I could handle that...

  • It's a good feeling, Chris... go with it.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #92

    @tour2ma said:

    It's a good feeling, Chris... go with it.

    a good feeling?.. I don't know.. I don't exactly get good vibes from a coach who has shown 0 ability to make adjustments and runs a sissy football camp.. no thanks, man.

  • One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #93

    Chuck Pagano would be an excellent choice.

  • stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #94

    I'd vote fire both and keep flip. hire an experienced coach. Hire a kickass GM.

    I like Pet, but i don't feel like he's the answer. I do feel like he tried his best while he was here, but it just wasn't good enough. Maybe it was the players he had, and farmer is to blame too. But another 3-13 season and I think we'd be up in pitchforks as fans.

    Ask yourself this, if any other organization in the NFL had a record like this, would the keep the head coach unless they think he could be the answer.

    So to you all, do you think Pet is the answer? Obviously farmer isn't. Keeping the same O-Coordinator would be great for offense although a new HC would change around a lot.

    I don't hate Pet, but i feel like i've seen enough of him.

    I tried to like farmer, but he just fucked up too much shit.

    I really tried to like Johnny, defended him, but over and over again he's just showed us that he's an entitled little prick that only cares about himself. He never really SHOWed us anything. Fuck it I really wanted Mack and Garrapolo in that draft.

    I don't care what the kid does at home, but the four loko video, i mean why would he post that up public? As a big fuck you to pet and the organization? I thought they specifically told him not to do that.

    I'm not so sure Johnny could ever be a leader of men at all, and while i appreciate Pettine's integrity, I'm not positive he could lead these men to great victory either.

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #95

    Keep Pettine... fire Farmer...make changes to the staff.

  • stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by stillmotion
    #96

    Yeah but you didn't answer my question. Do you think Pettine is the long term answer?

    If we're keeping Pettine, i'd ship Johnny and Gordon to Jerry for a 2nd rounder.

    Gordon has stood up for Johnny all season, and i doubt he'd want to "play" for pettine.

    he seems more of like a randy moss play when you want to play type of player anyway.

  • One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #97

    Pettine is gone, sure as shit.

    Farmer is gone also.

    Get an experienced coach who's been in the playoffs. Someone under the radar. Like Arians.

    Get a GM that's had some success.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #98

    I feel if you fire Farmer, you gotta fire Pett and let the new football guy start with a head coach that he handpicks. I think the missing bit of info is what Farmer's organization is like. If he has just made some bad draft picks but has set up a good system, then give him another year. If there is disfunction throughout, everyone goes.

    Z

  • Yeah but you didn't answer my question. Do you think Pettine is the long term answer?

    If we're keeping Pettine, i'd ship Johnny and Gordon to Jerry for a 2nd rounder.

    Gordon has stood up for Johnny all season, and i doubt he'd want to "play" for pettine.

    he seems more of like a randy moss play when you want to play type of player anyway.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #99

    @stillmotion said:

    Yeah but you didn't answer my question. Do you think Pettine is the long term answer?

    If we're keeping Pettine, i'd ship Johnny and Gordon to Jerry for a 2nd rounder.

    I did answer the question. The question was if i was Jimmy, what would I do. I think if Pettine stays, Johnny is gone.

  • Pettine is gone, sure as shit.

    Farmer is gone also.

    Get an experienced coach who's been in the playoffs. Someone under the radar. Like Arians.

    Get a GM that's had some success.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by

    One Post From the Truth said:

    Pettine is gone, sure as shit.

    Farmer is gone also.

    Get an experienced coach who's been in the playoffs. Someone under the radar. Like Arians.

    Get a GM that's had some success.

    Because coaches and GM's that have been to the playoffs and have had success other places grow on trees and are easy to find.

  • B beare wrote on last edited by

    both first thing monday

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    If I owned this team, and increased my investment the way Jimmy has, I would go after whoever is at the top of my list

    Give him $15 million a year and tell him you have COMPLETE control.

    If you want to coach, so be it, if you want to hire a coach, so be it.

    Just fix this CRAP!!!!!!!

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by

    You can't fire Pettine and here's why....the new GM isn't going to find anyone better to replace him. Period. We know this. You can get Elliot Wolf that's fine, but just because he becomes our GM doesn't mean we're gonna have elite level coaches banging down the door to come coach here. We know this. If this clown show continues, we can maybe get away with firing Pettine next year. We fire another coach after 2 years and it's over. Cleveland fans really need to wake up to that fact. No one is coming here that's worth a shit. We'll be rolling the dice again on some unproven coach who's coming here as mostly an audition for a job in some other organization. I'm not some huge Pettine fan, i have some real issues with our defense was handled this year and that is on him...he's a defense guy. And the fact that it's coming out that Gilbert was his pick. He's got one more year to show improvement in that defense.

  • You can't fire Pettine and here's why....the new GM isn't going to find anyone better to replace him. Period. We know this. You can get Elliot Wolf that's fine, but just because he becomes our GM doesn't mean we're gonna have elite level coaches banging down the door to come coach here. We know this. If this clown show continues, we can maybe get away with firing Pettine next year. We fire another coach after 2 years and it's over. Cleveland fans really need to wake up to that fact. No one is coming here that's worth a shit. We'll be rolling the dice again on some unproven coach who's coming here as mostly an audition for a job in some other organization. I'm not some huge Pettine fan, i have some real issues with our defense was handled this year and that is on him...he's a defense guy. And the fact that it's coming out that Gilbert was his pick. He's got one more year to show improvement in that defense.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    @clevfan4life said:

    You can't fire Pettine and here's why....the new GM isn't going to find anyone better to replace him. Period. We know this. You can get Elliot Wolf that's fine, but just because he becomes our GM doesn't mean we're gonna have elite level coaches banging down the door to come coach here. We know this. If this clown show continues, we can maybe get away with firing Pettine next year. We fire another coach after 2 years and it's over. Cleveland fans really need to wake up to that fact. No one is coming here that's worth a shit. We'll be rolling the dice again on some unproven coach who's coming here as mostly an audition for a job in some other organization. I'm not some huge Pettine fan, i have some real issues with our defense was handled this year and that is on him...he's a defense guy. And the fact that it's coming out that Gilbert was his pick. He's got one more year to show improvement in that defense.

    You underestimate the lure of cash.....

    If Jimmy puts out the money, we can get anyone he wants

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone

    This is a hard one. For me, it depends on what other coaches are available before I fire Pet. Farmer is easier, I fire him. Someone has to be held accountable for this 3-13 dumpster fire, and Ray and his phone get the boot. Now if the Colts are dumb enough to fire Pagano, then I also fire Pet and target Pags.

    I like Pet the man, but I haven't seen enough improvement to hand him the keys again if there is a proven coach that I can replace him with....... If however there isn't that proven coach, then I keep him as making a lateral move just for the sake of making a move would set us back even further.