Skip to content

Chip Kelly fired

The Browns Board
112 42 3.3k
  • Absolutely not. It would get in the way of our losing culture.

    Can't start winning games, then people will start expecting us to be...gasp...good.

  • I liked how Lurie handled this, especially his press release last night. Hell, I can't remember the last time I saw Jimmy in the owners box at a game, but that's a whole different subject............

  • I'd be very surprised if the next gig Kelly gets if in the NFL would be what he got in Philly. With that in mind, you have to look at how Kelly is as a coach. I'm on the fence about that but my bet is he signs on as either the HC of the Titans or OC somewhere else.

  • He just bought a house in Strongsville. My cousin is his realtor.

  • Absolutely not.

    Chip Kelly is not an NFL coach.

    He won't be hired by the Titans because the TItans have worked to REMOVE the college-scheme elements of Mariota's game.

    Kelly doesn't understand that success in the NFL is not a "scheme" .. he actually thought that running a few plays at high speed would work, and we saw the results of that this past season: Opposing linebackers calling out the play [and tackling for a loss] before the ball was snapped.

    He also made many inconceivable player moves, such as releasing an All-Pro G simply because the guy wanted more money... and then wondered why his OL wasn't as good as before.

    Bad in the locker room, worse on the field.. Chip Kelly is definitely not Browns material.

  • Absolutely not.

    Chip Kelly is not an NFL coach.

    He won't be hired by the Titans because the TItans have worked to REMOVE the college-scheme elements of Mariota's game.

    Kelly doesn't understand that success in the NFL is not a "scheme" .. he actually thought that running a few plays at high speed would work, and we saw the results of that this past season: Opposing linebackers calling out the play [and tackling for a loss] before the ball was snapped.

    He also made many inconceivable player moves, such as releasing an All-Pro G simply because the guy wanted more money... and then wondered why his OL wasn't as good as before.

    Bad in the locker room, worse on the field.. Chip Kelly is definitely not Browns material.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Absolutely not.

    Chip Kelly is not an NFL coach.

    He won't be hired by the Titans because the TItans have worked to REMOVE the college-scheme elements of Mariota's game.

    Kelly doesn't understand that success in the NFL is not a "scheme" .. he actually thought that running a few plays at high speed would work, and we saw the results of that this past season: Opposing linebackers calling out the play [and tackling for a loss] before the ball was snapped.

    He also made many inconceivable player moves, such as releasing an All-Pro G simply because the guy wanted more money... and then wondered why his OL wasn't as good as before.

    Bad in the locker room, worse on the field.. Chip Kelly is definitely not Browns material.

    You're right. Because he wins more games than he loses. Definitely not Browns material.

    Can we bring Pat Shurmur back?

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Absolutely not.

    Chip Kelly is not an NFL coach.

    He won't be hired by the Titans because the TItans have worked to REMOVE the college-scheme elements of Mariota's game.

    Kelly doesn't understand that success in the NFL is not a "scheme" .. he actually thought that running a few plays at high speed would work, and we saw the results of that this past season: Opposing linebackers calling out the play [and tackling for a loss] before the ball was snapped.

    He also made many inconceivable player moves, such as releasing an All-Pro G simply because the guy wanted more money... and then wondered why his OL wasn't as good as before.

    Bad in the locker room, worse on the field.. Chip Kelly is definitely not Browns material.

    You're right. Because he wins more games than he loses. Definitely not Browns material.

    Can we bring Pat Shurmur back?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Can we bring Pat Shurmur back?

    I think he just replaced Kelly.....😉

  • Absolutely not.

    Chip Kelly is not an NFL coach.

    He won't be hired by the Titans because the TItans have worked to REMOVE the college-scheme elements of Mariota's game.

    Kelly doesn't understand that success in the NFL is not a "scheme" .. he actually thought that running a few plays at high speed would work, and we saw the results of that this past season: Opposing linebackers calling out the play [and tackling for a loss] before the ball was snapped.

    He also made many inconceivable player moves, such as releasing an All-Pro G simply because the guy wanted more money... and then wondered why his OL wasn't as good as before.

    Bad in the locker room, worse on the field.. Chip Kelly is definitely not Browns material.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Bad in the locker room, worse on the field.. Chip Kelly is definitely not Browns material.

    That sounds like browns material to me

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Can we bring Pat Shurmur back?

    I think he just replaced Kelly.....😉

    @mudfly said:

    I think he just replaced Kelly.....😉

    Yup. He'll win a game, then we'll go get him again.

  • Word is Kelly definitely wants to stay in the NFL... clear sign he is creating leverage for his impending collegiate gig. 😉

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Absolutely not.

    Chip Kelly is not an NFL coach.

    He won't be hired by the Titans because the TItans have worked to REMOVE the college-scheme elements of Mariota's game.

    Kelly doesn't understand that success in the NFL is not a "scheme" .. he actually thought that running a few plays at high speed would work, and we saw the results of that this past season: Opposing linebackers calling out the play [and tackling for a loss] before the ball was snapped.

    He also made many inconceivable player moves, such as releasing an All-Pro G simply because the guy wanted more money... and then wondered why his OL wasn't as good as before.

    Bad in the locker room, worse on the field.. Chip Kelly is definitely not Browns material.

    You're right. Because he wins more games than he loses. Definitely not Browns material.

    Can we bring Pat Shurmur back?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You're right. Because he wins more games than he loses. Definitely not Browns material.

    Can we bring Pat Shurmur back?

    AGGGGHHHH... Just no to Pat Sure-loss. Wins my "Clueless HC of All-Time" award.

  • I'd be intrigued and wouldn't hate it.

    Pros:

    He went 10-6 his first two seasons

    26-21 overall.. Better than any coach we've had

    Manziel "broke his heart" when he decided to go to A&M instead of Oregon. Said Mainziel was " Tailor-made" for his system.

    We have a good offensive personnel for his high octane offense (especially if Gordon gets back on the field) mobile qb, big #1 receiver, speedy #2, quick possession receivers

    Cons:

    His ego: He needs to let a GM pick the players

    Defensive players hate him because he doesnt believe in time of possession, so defense plays 80+ snaps a game

    Some players accuse him of racism

    He's not a "people person" some players don't like the way he sees them as cogs in his system and not as humans

    @spek216 said:

    Manziel "broke his heart" when he decided to go to A&M instead of Oregon. Said Mainziel was " Tailor-made" for his system.

    then you won't mind when manziel is traded to dallas and kelly takes over as OC of the boys?

  • @spek216 said:

    Manziel "broke his heart" when he decided to go to A&M instead of Oregon. Said Mainziel was " Tailor-made" for his system.

    then you won't mind when manziel is traded to dallas and kelly takes over as OC of the boys?

    @miktoxic said:

    then you won't mind when manziel is traded to dallas and kelly takes over as OC of the boys?

    I won't mind if we lose Manziel if we end up with a franchise qb. I only want chip kelly if we team him up with Manziel

  • @miktoxic said:

    then you won't mind when manziel is traded to dallas and kelly takes over as OC of the boys?

    I won't mind if we lose Manziel if we end up with a franchise qb. I only want chip kelly if we team him up with Manziel

    @spek216 said:

    I won't mind if we lose Manziel if we end up with a franchise qb. I only want chip kelly if we team him up with Manziel

    Chip strung along the Browns for quite awhile the last time he was available and went somewhere else in the end. I don't see Haslam forgetting that.

  • @spek216 said:

    I won't mind if we lose Manziel if we end up with a franchise qb. I only want chip kelly if we team him up with Manziel

    Chip strung along the Browns for quite awhile the last time he was available and went somewhere else in the end. I don't see Haslam forgetting that.

    @mark-o said:

    Chip strung along the Browns for quite awhile the last time he was available and went somewhere else in the end. I don't see Haslam forgetting that.

    He was also seemingly Haslam's first big-boy choice as an owner, so maybe he still has eyes for him. Nobody forgets their first love.

    Kelly is not a bad coach at all. The people claiming he is frankly don't know a god-damned thing about football, but they've shown that before.

    Unfortunately, Kelly is a terrible GM and should have zero say in personnel matters. If we could get him as a pure coach, that would be ideal. For everyone who likes to shit on his frenetic style of play, that was actually the strongest part of Philadelphia's offense - they were well above league average in hurry up plays and were nearly twice as effective in hurry up.

    Our personnel would be a decent fit for Kelly, with some exceptions.

    With all of that said, I do like Flip's offense and I'm intrigued by him.

    But Kelly has been more successful than any of our coaches in the new era, so it's hard to turn your cheek to that if he expresses interest.

  • @mark-o said:

    Chip strung along the Browns for quite awhile the last time he was available and went somewhere else in the end. I don't see Haslam forgetting that.

    He was also seemingly Haslam's first big-boy choice as an owner, so maybe he still has eyes for him. Nobody forgets their first love.

    Kelly is not a bad coach at all. The people claiming he is frankly don't know a god-damned thing about football, but they've shown that before.

    Unfortunately, Kelly is a terrible GM and should have zero say in personnel matters. If we could get him as a pure coach, that would be ideal. For everyone who likes to shit on his frenetic style of play, that was actually the strongest part of Philadelphia's offense - they were well above league average in hurry up plays and were nearly twice as effective in hurry up.

    Our personnel would be a decent fit for Kelly, with some exceptions.

    With all of that said, I do like Flip's offense and I'm intrigued by him.

    But Kelly has been more successful than any of our coaches in the new era, so it's hard to turn your cheek to that if he expresses interest.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He was also seemingly Haslam's first big-boy choice as an owner, so maybe he still has eyes for him. Nobody forgets their first love.

    Kelly is not a bad coach at all. The people claiming he is frankly don't know a god-damned thing about football, but they've shown that before.

    Unfortunately, Kelly is a terrible GM and should have zero say in personnel matters. If we could get him as a pure coach, that would be ideal. For everyone who likes to shit on his frenetic style of play, that was actually the strongest part of Philadelphia's offense - they were well above league average in hurry up plays and were nearly twice as effective in hurry up.

    Our personnel would be a decent fit for Kelly, with some exceptions.

    With all of that said, I do like Flip's offense and I'm intrigued by him.

    But Kelly has been more successful than any of our coaches in the new era, so it's hard to turn your cheek to that if he expresses interest.

    One question I remember about his offense was that there are less players dressed in the NFL than in college and it would be too hard but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen.

    Seems to me also that most coaches are terrible as the GM. The HC job is hard enough on its own...add in the GM part and its too much for 95% of NFL coaches. Just not sure if he would be willing to give that up once he's had it.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He was also seemingly Haslam's first big-boy choice as an owner, so maybe he still has eyes for him. Nobody forgets their first love.

    Kelly is not a bad coach at all. The people claiming he is frankly don't know a god-damned thing about football, but they've shown that before.

    Unfortunately, Kelly is a terrible GM and should have zero say in personnel matters. If we could get him as a pure coach, that would be ideal. For everyone who likes to shit on his frenetic style of play, that was actually the strongest part of Philadelphia's offense - they were well above league average in hurry up plays and were nearly twice as effective in hurry up.

    Our personnel would be a decent fit for Kelly, with some exceptions.

    With all of that said, I do like Flip's offense and I'm intrigued by him.

    But Kelly has been more successful than any of our coaches in the new era, so it's hard to turn your cheek to that if he expresses interest.

    One question I remember about his offense was that there are less players dressed in the NFL than in college and it would be too hard but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen.

    Seems to me also that most coaches are terrible as the GM. The HC job is hard enough on its own...add in the GM part and its too much for 95% of NFL coaches. Just not sure if he would be willing to give that up once he's had it.

    @mark-o said:

    One question I remember about his offense was that there are less players dressed in the NFL than in college and it would be too hard but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen.

    Seems to me also that most coaches are terrible as the GM. The HC job is hard enough on its own...add in the GM part and its too much for 95% of NFL coaches. Just not sure if he would be willing to give that up once he's had it.

    It's hard enough to be a HC. Taking on extra responsibilities almost always leads to failure. A little humble pie would be good for Chip.

    I don't think there's a team out there that would give him full GM and HC control, but we would be the team to do it. Especially with both Pettine and Farmer as questionable assets.

  • @spek216 said:

    I won't mind if we lose Manziel if we end up with a franchise qb. I only want chip kelly if we team him up with Manziel

    Chip strung along the Browns for quite awhile the last time he was available and went somewhere else in the end. I don't see Haslam forgetting that.

    @mark-o said:

    Chip strung along the Browns for quite awhile the last time he was available and went somewhere else in the end. I don't see Haslam forgetting that.

    According to Tony Grossi, who I take with a big grain of salt (who says he has it on good authority) as the 8 hour dinner and contract meeting crawled along Haslem became less and less impressed with Kelly and it was the Browns that decided against the deal.

    WSS

  • @mark-o said:

    Chip strung along the Browns for quite awhile the last time he was available and went somewhere else in the end. I don't see Haslam forgetting that.

    According to Tony Grossi, who I take with a big grain of salt (who says he has it on good authority) as the 8 hour dinner and contract meeting crawled along Haslem became less and less impressed with Kelly and it was the Browns that decided against the deal.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    According to Tony Grossi, who I take with a big grain of salt, who says he has it on good authority, as the 8 hour dinner and contract meeting crawled along Haslem became less and less impressed with Kelly and it was the Browns that decided against the deal.

    WSS

    Which is fine as well if that means he isn't coming here...especially if he's going to want full control.

  • Prior to Mike Pettine the Browns would've loved Kelly. The question being asked right now is, has Pettine done anything to change that original thought or has Kelly tarnished his shine. I think the answer to the first part is no and I'm not a fire Pettine guy. The 2nd question is trickier if you are evaluating Kelly the GM vs Kelly the coach. You can probably get rid of Kelly the GM so do you think that Kelly the coach is worth a reboot.