Skip to content

Khalil Mack was leading the NFL in sacks until Watt got a sack today...

The Browns Board
27 7 751
  • @gftchris said:

    Mack was far from a sure thing. He'd been playing in very mediocre competition and there was doubt over whether he'd be able to step up to the NFL.

    i'm gonna disagree with you there. He tore up OSU and his combine was outstanding. If not for that OSU game and one other I believe, yeah you would be right. But on the big stage he utterly tore shit up. Rookie year, one of the best run stoppers at OLB'er. 2nd year...now he's one of the best pass rushers. Holy fuck.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @clevfan4life said:

    i'm gonna disagree with you there. He tore up OSU and his combine was outstanding. If not for that OSU game and one other I believe, yeah you would be right. But on the big stage he utterly tore shit up. Rookie year, one of the best run stoppers at OLB'er. 2nd year...now he's one of the best pass rushers. Holy fuck.

    Yeah it was that OSU game that elevated him really. A good career against meh competition would have been fine and dandy, but the OSU game gave teams faith.

  • @londonbrown said:

    On a related note I was hoping we go back to a 4-3, what would that mean for Shelton ?

    Trouble. And/or a crash diet where he loses about 50 lbs.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @gftchris said:

    Trouble. And/or a crash diet where he loses about 50 lbs.

    He's been in there with Meder at DT when we run 4-3 looks. I don't think it would affect him at all. If anything I would think it would make him even more effective as he'll see less doubles. As a 3-4 NT you are double teamed every single down pretty much, unless you suck. Two effective two gapping DT's makes for a nasty 4-3 if you pair them with competent DE's. ie cincy's 4-3.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Agree, I think Shelton will be fine

    Too much is made out of the 3-4/4-3 thing. It comes down more to utilization of the talent you have.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    You know, I coulda been a Victoria Secrets Model if I had grown wings and a pussy. But I have neither.....so what is the point of regret?

  • You know, I coulda been a Victoria Secrets Model if I had grown wings and a pussy. But I have neither.....so what is the point of regret?

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @the-gipper said:

    You know, I coulda been a Victoria Secrets Model if I had grown wings and a pussy. But I have neither.....so what is the point of regret?

    because people want to, again, forego immediate production in favor of projects.

  • @andeftw said:

    Not using Watt in my argument exactly because nobody expected him to be as good as he is now. But Jones, Kuechly and Mack were all regarded as studs and look where they are now, top 3 at their respective positions.

    Mack was far from a sure thing. He'd been playing in very mediocre competition and there was doubt over whether he'd be able to step up to the NFL.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @gftchris said:

    Mack was far from a sure thing. He'd been playing in very mediocre competition and there was doubt over whether he'd be able to step up to the NFL.

    There were doubters to be sure, but he was closer to "surefire" that almost any other player in his draft... at least that's what I remember.

    OBJ had an injury question circling him going into the draft.

    @bbedward said:

    ... so lets continue to get drunk and falsely get excited about next year...and the next year...and the next year.

    Finally a plan near and dear to a Browns' fans' heart... and liver...

  • @the-gipper said:

    You know, I coulda been a Victoria Secrets Model if I had grown wings and a pussy. But I have neither.....so what is the point of regret?

    because people want to, again, forego immediate production in favor of projects.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @clevfan4life said:

    because people want to, again, forego immediate production in favor of projects.

    ... plus we all want to make the picks we hit upon known to others...

    And Shelton will be fine... I know... I wanted to pick him... 😉