Skip to content

Here's the Problem

The Browns Board
44 22 2.1k
  • You nailed it! Most GMs want to hire their own people. FanSided ran an article last week that assured us Haslam would hire a GM first.

    So I got to thinking; sure hope it's not Chip Kelly who was both. I don't think Chip is the answer unless you trust one guy to do it all. And he failed.

  • You have to hope it's an illusion and they already have the GM and coach committed. The GM is on a playoff team and the coach is not. If that's not the case it's ass backwards like usual.

  • You have to hope it's an illusion and they already have the GM and coach committed. The GM is on a playoff team and the coach is not. If that's not the case it's ass backwards like usual.

    @jcam222 said:

    You have to hope it's an illusion and they already have the GM and coach committed. The GM is on a playoff team and the coach is not. If that's not the case it's ass backwards like usual.

    The GM was named today. Saschi Brown is the new GM. Maybe not in title...but in the roles he was given today in the press conference.

  • I got feeling lots coaches will refuse to even interview.

  • @jcam222 said:

    You have to hope it's an illusion and they already have the GM and coach committed. The GM is on a playoff team and the coach is not. If that's not the case it's ass backwards like usual.

    The GM was named today. Saschi Brown is the new GM. Maybe not in title...but in the roles he was given today in the press conference.

    @mark-o said:

    The GM was named today. Saschi Brown is the new GM. Maybe not in title...but in the roles he was given today in the press conference.

    I agree but my take is they are still hiring a guy they call GM in charge of player personnel and scouting. Did I misread that? There's a lot of info flying so it's possible I misread.
  • I got feeling lots coaches will refuse to even interview.

    @beare said:

    I got feeling lots coaches will refuse to even interview.

    Wait...but I Thought we were getting Dungy/Gruden/Payton/Cowher/Pagano/Gase etc etc etc etc....

  • @mark-o said:

    The GM was named today. Saschi Brown is the new GM. Maybe not in title...but in the roles he was given today in the press conference.

    I agree but my take is they are still hiring a guy they call GM in charge of player personnel and scouting. Did I misread that? There's a lot of info flying so it's possible I misread.

    @jcam222 said:

    I agree but my take is they are still hiring a guy they call GM in charge of player personnel and scouting. Did I misread that? There's a lot of info flying so it's possible I misread.

    Sashi has control over the roster and play personnel...

  • I want to be optimistic about Sashi Brown, because everyone deserves a chance. But Hasslam needs to fire advisors and his PR firm. Terrible announcement release, terrible preparation for Jimmy in his meeting with the media, and terrible title to give Sashi. I hate seeing bad execution on any situation.

  • I want to be optimistic about Sashi Brown, because everyone deserves a chance. But Hasslam needs to fire advisors and his PR firm. Terrible announcement release, terrible preparation for Jimmy in his meeting with the media, and terrible title to give Sashi. I hate seeing bad execution on any situation.

    @frenchie said:

    I want to be optimistic about Sashi Brown, because everyone deserves a chance. But Hasslam needs to fire advisors and his PR firm. Terrible announcement release, terrible preparation for Jimmy in his meeting with the media, and terrible title to give Sashi. I hate seeing bad execution on any situation.

    They certainly could have prepped him to sugar coat it better. Agree completely.
  • @jcam222 said:

    I agree but my take is they are still hiring a guy they call GM in charge of player personnel and scouting. Did I misread that? There's a lot of info flying so it's possible I misread.

    Sashi has control over the roster and play personnel...

    Actually I don't think the HC/GM hiring order is that big of a deal since Sashi is tacitly the GM, even if he does not have the title.

    @mark-o said:

    Sashi has control over the roster and play personnel...

    Game day active 46 is under Sashi? Where did you read/hear that?

  • Funny thing is, the way the FO is set up now is a perfect situation for Chip Kelly (some personnel say but not final)

  • Coach before gm just wont work any TOP gm would want there choice of coach not to mention would want control of roster!

    Hiring a cap guy as the biggest voice in your organization is COMICAL!

    ALSO found haslem comment some coaches will be kept STRANGE what decent coach will come here without being able to name his own staff?

    Sadly i think this will turn out even worse thn the last gm head coach search!!

    @beare said:

    Coach before gm just wont work any TOP gm would want there choice of coach not to mention would want control of roster!

    Hiring a cap guy as the biggest voice in your organization is COMICAL!

    ALSO found haslem comment some coaches will be kept STRANGE what decent coach will come here without being able to name his own staff?

    Sadly i think this will turn out even worse thn the last gm head coach search!!...What a bunch of losers. Guess i'll wait and see what happens with the gm and hc before i decide to renew sunday nfl ticket. Christ, I have been following the browns since 1963 and never in my wildest dreams would i have witnessed anything like this. This is not going to change either.until fucking shitsam sells this team to someone who knows what a football looks like...fucking charlatan. Looks like i might have to support the falcons. Oh well, at least i'll save some moola...

  • I agree with Haslam on the bit it's not so much about a certain structure but it's about having the right people for the job.

    However, getting the right people is a bit of a problem for us

  • I agree with Haslam on the bit it's not so much about a certain structure but it's about having the right people for the job.

    However, getting the right people is a bit of a problem for us

    @bbedward said:

    I agree with Haslam on the bit it's not so much about a certain structure but it's about having the right people for the job.

    However, getting the right people is a bit of a problem for us

    We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.
  • @bbedward said:

    I agree with Haslam on the bit it's not so much about a certain structure but it's about having the right people for the job.

    However, getting the right people is a bit of a problem for us

    We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

    Yea probably, but I don't think the Farmer/Pettine combo were the right people. At least not Farmer - which is a shame because everybody was excited when he replaced Lombanner.

    I think Pettine could have been a successful coach, but when you clean the farm the coach usually gets forced out regardless.

  • @bbedward said:

    I agree with Haslam on the bit it's not so much about a certain structure but it's about having the right people for the job.

    However, getting the right people is a bit of a problem for us

    We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

    because this franchise, moreover the owner(s), have no foresight past 1 or 2 years and instead of trusting the people they hired, they let the grumblings of a fanbase dictate their decision making.

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

    Yea probably, but I don't think the Farmer/Pettine combo were the right people. At least not Farmer - which is a shame because everybody was excited when he replaced Lombanner.

    I think Pettine could have been a successful coach, but when you clean the farm the coach usually gets forced out regardless.

    @bbedward said:

    Yea probably, but I don't think the Farmer/Pettine combo were the right people. At least not Farmer - which is a shame because everybody was excited when he replaced Lombanner.

    I think Pettine could have been a successful coach, but when you clean the farm the coach usually gets forced out regardless.

    I can't disagree on that but I am beginning to believe that the 3rd year in all these "plans" involves cocktails in Aruba.

  • @bbedward said:

    I agree with Haslam on the bit it's not so much about a certain structure but it's about having the right people for the job.

    However, getting the right people is a bit of a problem for us

    We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

    Agree there. Starting with the GM that was here when Jimmah took over. Heckert Pettine Horton Turner Chud all could have won but were cut off at the knees. Happy to see Jimmahs wife is now part of the think tank and they have a kiddy lawyer to make the picks. Things are trending in the right direction.

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    We probably had the right people 2 or 3 times but we fired them 2 years into a 3 to 5 year plan.

    Agree there. Starting with the GM that was here when Jimmah took over. Heckert Pettine Horton Turner Chud all could have won but were cut off at the knees. Happy to see Jimmahs wife is now part of the think tank and they have a kiddy lawyer to make the picks. Things are trending in the right direction.

    @manzier said:

    Agree there. Starting with the GM that was here when Jimmah took over. Heckert Pettine Horton Turner Chud all could have won but were cut off at the knees. Happy to see Jimmahs wife is now part of the think tank and they have a kiddy lawyer to make the picks. Things are trending in the right direction.

    The think tank. Hmmmmmmmm I bet there's a better name for it.

  • You nailed it! Most GMs want to hire their own people. FanSided ran an article last week that assured us Haslam would hire a GM first.

    So I got to thinking; sure hope it's not Chip Kelly who was both. I don't think Chip is the answer unless you trust one guy to do it all. And he failed.

    @opal312 said:

    You nailed it! Most GMs want to hire their own people. FanSided ran an article last week that assured us Haslam would hire a GM first.

    So I got to thinking; sure hope it's not Chip Kelly who was both. I don't think Chip is the answer unless you trust one guy to do it all. And he failed.

    He failed? He was given one year as HC and GM. All those players he released that everyone complained about .. 1 is doing well and that's desean. Everyone else isn't doing shit

    If chip can fix his people skills I'm all in on him