Skip to content

Sean Payton Staying In New Orleans

The Browns Board
48 21 2.0k
  • As the title reads. Sean Payton maybe out in NO. I always thought that he might be a great fit for JFF, but alas, JFF has proved, that his head is squarely up his ass and will probably land in Dallas. But I still think Payton would be a good choice. Seasoned coach, SB win, and with the right talent, can have a dynamic offense.

    BUUUUT.... would he even consider coming here with our new state of the art organizational structure?

  • I'd take him.

    No way he's coming here. We're getting the bottom of the barrel again.


  • NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Saints want a second-round pick in exchange for Sean Payton.



    A coaching trade has not happened in the NFL since Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Bucs after the 2001 season, although the Browns and 49ers came close to a deal for Jim Harbaugh two years ago. A second-round pick would be considerably less than what the Bucs gave away for Gruden, but it would likely be just one of a package of picks the Saints ask for in return for their Super-Bowl-winning coach. The Saints appear open to moving Payton, and there should be plenty of teams interested.




    would you give up the 2nd rd pick to get payton?

  • Seems like a low price for a coach with the ability to take a team to the Superbowl.

    One might wonder why the Saints aren't headed to the championship with the great Drew Brees and such a wonderful coach?

    WSS

  • Seems like a low price for a coach with the ability to take a team to the Superbowl.

    One might wonder why the Saints aren't headed to the championship with the great Drew Brees and such a wonderful coach?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Seems like a low price for a coach with the ability to take a team to the Superbowl.

    One might wonder why the Saints aren't headed to the championship with the great Drew Brees and such a wonderful coach?

    WSS

    Their D is the only one giving ours competition as worst in the league, and Brees has been injured this season (say hi to backup Luke McCown). They were 7-9 in spite of that.

  • I wonder how many people here would tell them 'throw in Drew Brees and we've got a deal'

  • Would you be against the Browns reaching for Payton. They want a 2nd rounder for him. And Brees might be shipped too. I'm sure Payton will stay and brees will take a cut. But would you be against bringing them in?

  • Yes. than hell yes. He was here before with Belicheck. You take your 1st rounder than give NO pick 32 which is a 1st round pick that nobody else can. Sashi & scoutmaster will need a qualified HC to make football decisions & Payton is above our dreams. but Payton will end up with Giants with better player personnel. We qualify for the Dan Campbell's of the world from dolphins, maybe..

  • Throw in Drew Brees? The guy that sucks if the team is not operating at 100%? The guy who is too short to see over the line? That guy?

    And put him on, wait for it, this team?

    Along with a coach that doesn't want to be here? That's brilliant!

    WSS

  • I doubt Payton will come here.. Were getting someone from the HS ranks I fear.

  • Only reason the price is low is probably because Payton doesn't wanna cripple his new team.

    That being said I'd say the likely spot would be Indy.

  • Only reason the price is low is probably because Payton doesn't wanna cripple his new team.

    That being said I'd say the likely spot would be Indy.

    @bbedward said:

    Only reason the price is low is probably because Payton doesn't wanna cripple his new team.

    That being said I'd say the likely spot would be Indy.

    Or the Giiants.. he has ties there.

  • Only reason the price is low is probably because Payton doesn't wanna cripple his new team.

    That being said I'd say the likely spot would be Indy.

    @bbedward said:

    Only reason the price is low is probably because Payton doesn't wanna cripple his new team.

    That being said I'd say the likely spot would be Indy.

    Payton doesn't have any say in his price... but I agree on Indy... dome sweet dome...

    As for Brees... no one will take on his contract as is with a $30MM cap hit in 2016, so step one is restructuring.

  • Throw in Drew Brees? The guy that sucks if the team is not operating at 100%? The guy who is too short to see over the line? That guy?

    And put him on, wait for it, this team?

    Along with a coach that doesn't want to be here? That's brilliant!

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Throw in Drew Brees? The guy that sucks if the team is not operating at 100%? The guy who is too short to see over the line? That guy?

    And put him on, wait for it, this team?

    Along with a coach that doesn't want to be here? That's brilliant!

    WSS

    That guy has a super bowl ring...our midget can't show up when he's supposed to.

  • I'd give a 2nd and drunk johnnie for Payton and Brees

  • Payton would be my first choice if it were possible. He did rebuild the Saints! The down years for New Orleans have little to do with Payton. They have salary cap issues, high priced veterans etc. getting out of there would be the best thing for Payton. Taking the Browns job would be ideal for him. He would chose his quarterback, system, and plenty of cap space.

    Boy oh boy don't get me started because I know we'll never get him. But what a coup that would be.

  • Payton would be my first choice if it were possible. He did rebuild the Saints! The down years for New Orleans have little to do with Payton. They have salary cap issues, high priced veterans etc. getting out of there would be the best thing for Payton. Taking the Browns job would be ideal for him. He would chose his quarterback, system, and plenty of cap space.

    Boy oh boy don't get me started because I know we'll never get him. But what a coup that would be.

    @opal312 said:

    Payton would be my first choice if it were possible. He did rebuild the Saints! The down years for New Orleans have little to do with Payton. They have salary cap issues, high priced veterans etc. getting out of there would be the best thing for Payton. Taking the Browns job would be ideal for him. He would chose his quarterback, system, and plenty of cap space.

    Boy oh boy don't get me started because I know we'll never get him. But what a coup that would be.

    I forgot to mention that Drew Bree's is owed 30 million next year. One of the biggest reasons their defense sucks! Cap room and high priced veterans.

    I'm going to say my Rosary and put a word in for Payton

  • I'd be okay with Payton, but only if the Rock is unavailable.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Throw in Drew Brees? The guy that sucks if the team is not operating at 100%? The guy who is too short to see over the line? That guy?

    And put him on, wait for it, this team?

    Along with a coach that doesn't want to be here? That's brilliant!

    WSS

    That guy has a super bowl ring...our midget can't show up when he's supposed to.

    @mark-o said:

    That guy has a super bowl ring...our midget can't show up when he's supposed to.

    Well then I guess everyone bitching about height is wrong.

    WSS

  • @mark-o said:

    That guy has a super bowl ring...our midget can't show up when he's supposed to.

    Well then I guess everyone bitching about height is wrong.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Well then I guess everyone bitching about height is wrong.

    WSS

    Everyone bitching about height is saying successful short QBs are the exception, not the rule. Brees and Wilson are those exceptions.