Skip to content

Browns to interview Patriots DC Matt Patricia

The Browns Board
98 39 5.5k
  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Dude looks like a Cleveland guy

    CX7rd6WWAAET3cF.jpg

    CX7pMhnUQAEqcIB.jpg

    matt-patricia.jpg

  • C CaineDeSoulis wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Awesome was pulling for this guy aswell

  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    I read an article that said because Haslam chose lawyer Sashi Brown who has final say on the 53 man roster, there will be executives who refuse to let their employees interview for the Browns. An unnamed Exec told NFL.com he's already going to bar his employee from speaking with the Browns. What does this mean? Why would they stop one of their coaches from interviewing because of Sashi having final approval. I don't get it?

  • C CaineDeSoulis wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Doesn't apply to coaches. Only executive openings such as GM. For gm we can only hire people who ate unemployed or in house people or we can get permission. Some will let us interview some won't.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #5

    I'm aware of the whole "Cleveland cute" thing, but is the city known for having ugly men as well?

  • Dude looks like a Cleveland guy

    CX7rd6WWAAET3cF.jpg

    CX7pMhnUQAEqcIB.jpg

    matt-patricia.jpg

    ConnerLangfordC ConnerLangford wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @walterwhite said:

    Dude looks like a Cleveland guy

    CX7rd6WWAAET3cF.jpg

    CX7pMhnUQAEqcIB.jpg

    matt-patricia.jpg

    I'd love this hire

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    My hangovers would tell me he killed a giraffe & his name is McCown. So done with coordinators as HC's find a true Coach with this mess & our locker room.

  • S SPEK216 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Why? Look at his resume.. I'm scratching my head

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Idk much about him, but he looks tough I guess. But so did "stone cold" Mike Pettine.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    That 2nd shirt is pretty sweet.

  • Why? Look at his resume.. I'm scratching my head

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @spek216 said:

    Why? Look at his resume.. I'm scratching my head

    No head coaching experience to speak of, one stint as DC for the Patriots, he could be a complete failure. But, the more I read about him, the more I'm on board with it. Forewent a career in aeronautical engineering to coach football, and spent the last 10 years or so being steadily promoted by Bill the Hood to the point where he's run their D for the last four years, and aged only 35.

    Up and comer, or maybe too much too soon if HC. Difficult to tell.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I'm down with him. He's one of several I'd be happy with. We're going to hire someone many of us will be happy with, and our new process of evaluating players and putting together a roster will be a success. Haslam is a new owner, and he's a guy that wants to get it right. Sure, he's made a multitude of killer mistakes, but he's not used to failing, and I'm sure he hates it. The Browns are going to get it together soon. Laugh all you want, make fun of me all you want, but we're going to get it together soon. I feel it. I know, I know...I'm the optimist that people hate, but I can't stand being a negative jerk. I used to be like that, and I hated it.

    The new roster begins pretty much now. We're going to take the best available player at #2, we're going to sign a competent WR, and Orchard and Shelton are going to take big steps forward next year. I'm not saying we're a playoff team in 2016, but I'm saying we're going to move in the right direction for once.

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #13

    "In 2012, he received the title of defensive coordinator, despite having called plays on defense since the departure of Pees following the 2009 season."

    So he has been making the calls since 2009 for the Patriots defense.

    I don't know enough about their defensive scheme to have any clue what he would run if he came here.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Patriots kind of run one of those "hybrid" 3-4's, but tailor their defense to suit their opponents. It's one of the reasons that Jabaal Sheard is having a solid season. He's better off as a 4-3 DE, and that's pretty much what they use him as.

  • Patriots kind of run one of those "hybrid" 3-4's, but tailor their defense to suit their opponents. It's one of the reasons that Jabaal Sheard is having a solid season. He's better off as a 4-3 DE, and that's pretty much what they use him as.

    LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Patriots kind of run one of those "hybrid" 3-4's, but tailor their defense to suit their opponents. It's one of the reasons that Jabaal Sheard is having a solid season. He's better off as a 4-3 DE, and that's pretty much what they use him as.

    Sounds familiar if O'Neil hadn't been a complete moron.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    From what I read, O'Neil didn't want to change his defense to fit the opponents. He wanted to be like Seattle, who runs pretty much the same defense every week, and for most of the snaps. O'Neil wanted the opposition to adjust to HIM, instead of the other way around. Not sure how true that is, but I know several of the players were frustrated by the lack of flexibility O'Neil provided.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I remember the last time we hired a Patriots defensive coordinator.

    They had a top 10 defense then too.

    Hmm, if only I could remember what his name was. Oh yea that's right, Romeo Crennel.

  • "In 2012, he received the title of defensive coordinator, despite having called plays on defense since the departure of Pees following the 2009 season."

    So he has been making the calls since 2009 for the Patriots defense.

    I don't know enough about their defensive scheme to have any clue what he would run if he came here.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @logicisforsquares said:

    "In 2012, he received the title of defensive coordinator, despite having called plays on defense since the departure of Pees following the 2009 season."

    So he has been making the calls since 2009 for the Patriots defense.

    I don't know enough about their defensive scheme to have any clue what he would run if he came here.

    Vince Wilfork -> Danny Shelton?

  • I remember the last time we hired a Patriots defensive coordinator.

    They had a top 10 defense then too.

    Hmm, if only I could remember what his name was. Oh yea that's right, Romeo Crennel.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @bbedward said:

    I remember the last time we hired a Patriots defensive coordinator.

    They had a top 10 defense then too.

    Hmm, if only I could remember what his name was. Oh yea that's right, Romeo Crennel.

    Now DC for a playoff team...featuring JJ Watt, but that's besides the point. Oh, and also Vince Wolfork, in 'small world news'

  • Why? Look at his resume.. I'm scratching my head

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @spek216 said:

    Why? Look at his resume.. I'm scratching my head

    I have the feeling that they want a younger "up and comer"....and this guy could fit the bill.

    So....mark me very intrigued.