Skip to content

Know That There is a Real WR Problem?

The Browns Board
21 11 1.9k
  • @next2nothing said:

    I'm a defense minded guy so I share JewDago's opinion. The more I see of Orakpo, the more I'm liking him at #5.

    It's safe to say our current team is still a long way away from being a Super Bowl contender, but what's been the main staple of Super Bowl winning teams recently? Great defense. Most of the SB winning teams in the past 10 years have had defenses in the top ten. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't Mangini prefer to run a dink and dump type passing attack?

    I see nothing wrong with taking Crabtree at #5 if he's there and I'll trust the decision. I would just rather have us build up an elite defense.

    Actually, if they were considering drafting a ILB that could shut down the running game I would be a little more excited. Edge rushers can be taken out of the game. I don't have anything against Orakpo, but we aren't strong enough up the middle for him to be an impact. By strength up the middle I mean, DT, ILB and SS.

    Teams kill us up the middle so will OLB be that great of a difference maker.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Actually, if they were considering drafting a ILB that could shut down the running game I would be a little more excited.

    I don't know if you're already forgetting, but last year I can't count the number of times we had teams in 3rd and long and gave up a 10+ yard passing play because the QB had ALL DAY to throw the ball.

    As soon as it was 3rd and more than 5, we knew we were toast.

  • mikeyP72 said:

    Mangini is going to be skeptical about taking a DE/OLB type after the Vhernon Gholston thing I think.

    I don't have the answer as there's too many holes to fill right now. I think we have good talent developing in Beau Bell and Alex Hall, maybe even Wimbley. I THOUGHT Antwan Peek was going to work out for us but that didnt happen. I think we need a ILB eithr this year or next... Barton only has so much gas in the tank hopefully he can give us his solid golden years and solidify the LB core with his experience.

    This is what I would LIKE to see for Manginis first year here... I am also hopeful and want a 7-9 season at WORST.

    mangini won't be turned off by the idea of a de/olb because of gholston because you can't run a 3-4 without them. they're an extremely important part of the defense because they're the main pass rushers, and, without them, teams can throw the ball on you all day.

    as for your 7-9 season at worst, look for the worst to likely be either a repeat of this year, though with more consistent performances, or worse than this year by a game. i think we'll have three to five wins this year and pick high again in 2010.

    @jewdago said:

    as for your 7-9 season at worst, look for the worst to likely be either a repeat of this year, though with more consistent performances, or worse than this year by a game. i think we'll have three to five wins this year and pick high again in 2010.

    That I can't agree with. You can't anticipate the injuries we had last year reaccurring. That was a major problem. This staff is addressing a lack of depth which was a major problem last year. I believe the team is already upgraded over last year and we haven't even seen the draft.

    Man, you are tough on a team predicting a losing season when you don't even know what the team will look like as far as players and what the coaching staff will do by installing differenct offensive and defensive systems.

    Also, our schedule is much easier. Maybe you need to take a few sleeping pills and wake up after the season and then you could say I told you so or sorry, my bad.

    Don't know the roster. New coaches and a new system. And, failure is the prediction. So, you are saying the glass is half empty and it doesn't matter who the QB is or who we draft. Why make a case for Orakpo with such passion if you don't think it will help? Since we are definately going to suck, why not trade all our draft picks and gather a bunch for next year when we could try again.

    I seem to remember a year ago this team was coming off a 10-6 season. I think Mangini took a losing team to a 10-6 season. A 1-15 team in 2007 went to the playoffs last year. I think they had fans like you predicting doom and gloom. I don't think we are going to the super bowl but it's real hard to predict anything without knowing who the players will be on the team.

    So Chicken Little, why not at least wait till training camp starts before you start pissing on the team? You could really start ragging on them then.

  • actually, this is when i'll be the most pessimistic. once i see the coaches actually start working with the players and hear that guys are improving and learn about the coaches' schemes, i'll have a little more faith. for now, though, we're doomed.

    DOOMED!

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Actually, if they were considering drafting a ILB that could shut down the running game I would be a little more excited.

    I don't know if you're already forgetting, but last year I can't count the number of times we had teams in 3rd and long and gave up a 10+ yard passing play because the QB had ALL DAY to throw the ball.

    As soon as it was 3rd and more than 5, we knew we were toast.

    @pl4tinum said:

    I don't know if you're already forgetting, but last year I can't count the number of times we had teams in 3rd and long and gave up a 10+ yard passing play because the QB had ALL DAY to throw the ball.

    As soon as it was 3rd and more than 5, we knew we were toast.

    Wouldn't you agree that some of that was the prevent scheme they deployed. I'm not saying we don't need a better pass rush but we do need to stop the run or their passing game won't matter. When you rush 3 and drop everybody else into coverage, like they were doing, there was no chance of putting pressure on the QB.

    So, someting has to be said about the defensive scheme also. We may not of had the most talent on defense but how many times did you ever see us rush more defenders then they had blockers?

    That being said, I agree we need to upgrade our pass rush. My question is can the guys available at #36 provide that and we can get a potential star receiver or must we draft a OLB/pass rusher at #5? Will Orakpo be a difference maker? Beyond that, we need to upgrade the middle of the defense because Orakpo or anybody else would be wasted if we can't stop the run.

    Hey, I'm asking to get opinions. I was leaning Crabtree but now I'm hearing what makes a lot of sense to go the other way. So, is Orakpo that guy?

  • we'll need a number 1 next year cause BE is way gone...so I have no problem with Crabtree. he'll learn for a year as number 2. I remember the long years of waiting for a number 1 before we got BE in the first place....not a bad choice at all. I have no problem with Rey either...in fact I believe he'll be the best / most impactful LB in this draft. Some have a problem if we take him at 5....not me!

    The choice for us will be curry in my upcoming mock (so far) I have KC taking Bj Raji and moving Dorsey to end in 3-4 where he's better suited at 300 pounds....Pioli with NE drafted three DE~NT's with 1st round picks in TY Warren, Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour. Just my mock talking....seahawks taking stafford

  • I knew I'd revise my draft....no way KC takes Rastafari~raji now

  • @inspecta said:

    We definitely need to bring in at least one more WR to add some depth, but I am a running back guy. I think if we can add Shonn Green to go with Harrison our offense will be ok. They can put 8 in the box all they want, we'll run to the outside with harrison, then pound them with Green.

    Run about 5-6 straight times, then PA that ass and hit em' deep.

    I would love for us to have a ball control run oriented offense. I would love to see our run/pass ratio somewhere around 60/40 or hell maybe even 70/40.

    Actually you discribe the offense Mangini want to run. He wants a ball control run first offense. Short passes and move the chains. Don't make mistakes. He wants to win the field position battle, win the time of possession battle and win the turnover battle. You win ball games that way, but you also have to have a stout defense.

    He puts a great emphasis on special teams to try to win that field position battle.

    If they trade down they will have enough picks to fill their defensive needs get a Center and take Greene or Brown in the second round or Jennings later.

  • Thank you, YTown. We definitely need a WR in this draft. If not Crabtree at #5 (I do tend to agree on defense here), we should be looking for a WR in the second round. I do like Robiskie with our #50 pick. Solid player who should be a good #2 receiver in the NFL. Edwards and Patten are not going to cut it as the only starters come this season.

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Actually, if they were considering drafting a ILB that could shut down the running game I would be a little more excited.

    I don't know if you're already forgetting, but last year I can't count the number of times we had teams in 3rd and long and gave up a 10+ yard passing play because the QB had ALL DAY to throw the ball.

    As soon as it was 3rd and more than 5, we knew we were toast.

    @pl4tinum said:

    I don't know if you're already forgetting, but last year I can't count the number of times we had teams in 3rd and long and gave up a 10+ yard passing play because the QB had ALL DAY to throw the ball.

    As soon as it was 3rd and more than 5, we knew we were toast.

    AMEN!!!!

    I hear too much about our poor corners, but I think they did a pretty decent job for the amount of time the opposing QB & receivers had.

    Pass rushers are a MUST! I am sick of "rubberband" defenses in Browns Country. Time to get aggressive.

    Mike

  • Saorry but I never considered Stallworth to be any value to this team, did or does any Browns fan really think this punk was going to ever contribute?

    We have had a problem at WR since JJ and K2 went down.