Teams In Competition For A Qb
-
If I was a betting man, I'd guess that we'd take a QB with our second pick. Whether we trade up, or select one where we stand...I think that's what we do. The guy doesn't have to start day one, although he certainly might if he beats out McCown. I have a feeling that Carson Wentz is going to catch fire soon, and subesquently rocket up the draft charts. That'll still leave prospects like Connor Shaw, who definitely isn't a perfect prospect, but still has many attributes teams will find attractive, such as playing in a pro style offense. Oh, and actually take a snap from under center.
-
I believe that the Texans pick 22 and need a qb. Seems like they could get a decent one there...lolr
I believe that the Texans pick 22 and need a qb. Seems like they could get a decent one there...lolr
You mean like the ones we have taken at #22: Weeden, Quinn, JMZ.
Yea, let them take one at 22 and let them have the same luck we have had.
-
There are no starters in the FA list other than the three guys who started in 2015: Fitz, Brock and Cousins. Otherwise just a bunch of commodity back-ups. Not seeing a FA frenzy over any of the three, so all might be reasonable resigns.
Texans, Rams and us look the most desperately in need of a QB... probably in that order. I think the Eagles may just stick with Bradford since he did manage to stay upright all season and was not exactly in his ideal Offense.
Dallas should be in the draft as Romo is not getting younger, but Jerrah always thinks he's a piece away from the Lombardi and his pieces won't break.
Other teams I see in the draft market...
New Orleans - Biggest wild card in the bunch with Brees oversized price tag for 2016.
Denver - doesn't depend on Brockweiller, he's not a sure thing even if signed, so if Peyton moves on (as it is expected he will) then they need to draft their plan B (Hackenberg looks about right) plus a disposable FA.
Seattle - probably just me but I do not see how they could resist tabbing Prescott if he's there when their 2nd pick rolls around. Wonderful trainee in a similar mold to have behind Wilson for fill in and perhaps future trade value.
Buffalo - for sure a vet FA back-up, but can also see taking a shot at a project with upside. Again Prescott could fit here behind Tyrod.
San Diego - need succession plan
Chicago - ditto SD
There are no starters in the FA list other than the three guys who started in 2015: Fitz, Brock and Cousins. Otherwise just a bunch of commodity back-ups. Not seeing a FA frenzy over any of the three, so all might be reasonable resigns.
Texans, Rams and us look the most desperately in need of a QB... probably in that order. I think the Eagles may just stick with Bradford since he did manage to stay upright all season and was not exactly in his ideal Offense.
Dallas should be in the draft as Romo is not getting younger, but Jerrah always thinks he's a piece away from the Lombardi and his pieces won't break.
Other teams I see in the draft market...
New Orleans - Biggest wild card in the bunch with Brees oversized price tag for 2016.
Denver - doesn't depend on Brockweiller, he's not a sure thing even if signed, so if Peyton moves on (as it is expected he will) then they need to draft their plan B (Hackenberg looks about right) plus a disposable FA.
Seattle - probably just me but I do not see how they could resist tabbing Prescott if he's there when their 2nd pick rolls around. Wonderful trainee in a similar mold to have behind Wilson for fill in and perhaps future trade value.
Buffalo - for sure a vet FA back-up, but can also see taking a shot at a project with upside. Again Prescott could fit here behind Tyrod.
San Diego - need succession plan
Chicago - ditto SD
Yes, I did not delve into the ones that, as you say "need a succession plan". That would include:
Chargers (SD/LA?)....Rivers will be 35 in December.
Cardinals....Palmer is 36 right now.
Saints...Brees is now 37.
Cowboys...Romo 36 in April.
Steelers...Roethlisberger...34 in April.....but banged up shoulder etc. that could be deadly.
Giants: Eli Manning just turned 35.
Patriots: Tom Brady is 38
All these mid 30s guys....teams may want to start planning as you say, to groom a successor.
A couple of them may have successors in mind: Pats with Garrapolo. Anyone else?
Will they start grabbing guys now for development....or wait until the last minute?
-
I still think Foles could be a very good QB for the Rams.....or maybe for somebody...not the Rams. He played outstanding for the Eagles a year ago. A change of scene could do him well.
How can the Browns get him? He is better than anything we have....and maybe better than anyone available in this draft.
-
At this point.. other than Dallas.. I cant see anyone even wanting Johnny's baggage or persona. My guess is Both the Rams and Iggles will draft a QB. The bigger question is.. do they have enough ammo to move up to get a Goff or Lynch. Because I'm sure Hue wants a shot at Goff.. And maybe thinks we can survive with McCown and Shaw... Hard to say at this point.
Dallas may want someone better than Johnny Juicer to groom under Romo for a year or two. SF will have to pay Kap $12 million to keep him on the roster- will Kelley think he's worth it? So the Niners may well be in the market if they decide to release Kaepernick. Blaine Gabbert- as we saw- sucks.
& I'm going to disagree with TCPO- if we (meaning Hue) determines there's a true franchise level quarterback sitting there @ #2, it's going to be a no brainer to take him. I'm not into what if scenarios to wait around for the "Next Great Thing" in 2017.
Dallas may want someone better than Johnny Juicer to groom under Romo for a year or two. SF will have to pay Kap $12 million to keep him on the roster- will Kelley think he's worth it? So the Niners may will be in the market if they decide to release Kaepernick. Blaine Gabbert- as we saw- sucks.
& I'm going to disagree with TCPO- if we (meaning Hue) determines there's a true franchise level quarterback sitting there @ #2, it's going to be a no brainer to take him. I'm not into what if scenarios to wait around for the "Next Great Thing" in 2017.
I suspect Dallas would have little to lose in waiting out the Browns on cutting JM. Jerry prides himself on "rescues" that no one else will touch and sets the parameters for taking them. I know you can't require your own player to go to rehab., but you can damn sure say I won't pick you up if I don't see you walking the walk and not just talking the talk.
Billy Vegas in disguise talking to Jerry.
-
Today on ESPN they unveiled Mel Kiper's first Mock Draft. He has the Browns taking Goff at #2. Bill Polian who's on the panel was adamant that none of this year's QB's are NFL ready. That said, if the Browns can't get a McCarron, Osweiler type in a trade or free agency don't they have to draft Goff?
There are too many teams that will take Goff if we don't. Dallas, Houston, The Rams, Philly, Arizona will all be looking for QBs.
Osweiler will probably get the franchise tag so he's out. Chip Kelly might want to resurrect Kaepernick and the rest of the Quarterbacks pretty much suck! But I still like the idea of Hue going after McCarron. A.J. Showed poise and potential when Dalton went down. And because of McCarron's big ego he won't settle for being a backup much longer. His confidence was seen as arrogance and that's why he dropped to the fifth round. But I like a guy who shows confidence and thinks he can be the best. Russell Wilson was exactly the same before he was drafted.
Bottom Line: The Browns should draft Goff if they can't land a young free agent.The odds aren't very good they can. We should thank Ray Farmer for putting us so far behind the eight ball by passing on Carr. Carr is definitely going to be a franchise QB!
Goff will have to sit a year if they don't want to ruin another prospect. But Polian stressed that every QB in this year's draft will need to sit.
-
There is also the potential "Chip Kelly Cog In The Wheel" again this year. After he was hired by San Francisco I read two articles on Fan Sided that predicted Chip would draft Goff. Now it's way too early to speculate but here we go with Kelly in position to trade up for another QB he desires. So just like last year everyone will be wondering what this faux master mind has up his sleeve. Could be nothing but smoke like last year. I hope he stays far away from the Browns FO. Makes me glad they hired these analytical guys! Maybe they'll break the tradition of trading down and taking crap at number 22
-
What teams are going to be going after a QB this year.....either in FA or in the Draft:
Well.....there are the Cleveland Browns....as per usual
Then the following:
Houston Texans. They are not going to sit still with Hoyer, Weeden and TJ Yates, are they?
Philadelphia Eagles. They are not going to sit still with Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez, are they?
Los Angeles Rams. First time in over 20 years we can say that. They need to make a big splash at QB now that they are going to lala land, fair to say? They are not going to sit still with Nick Foles and Case Keenum, are they?
One team that may not be in for a QB: SF 49ers. Kaepernick has been an outstanding QB at times in the past. Lost all his confidence. Is the hiring of Chip Kelly going to bring back the Kaep? Honestly, I don't think there is anyone else out there in FA or the draft that Kelly would like to pick up more than he would want to work with Kaepernick.
Anyone else?
Cowboys looking to get Romo back....and to get their hands on and try to groom Johnny Fuckup?
Broncos satisfied to either get one more year out of Peyton, or turn it over to Osweiler (though...isn't he a FA? Won't they want to keep him?)
Jets: Going to let it ride for a while with Fitz? (also FA)....if they lose Fitz to FA, they will be in the draft market.
So...I see 3 teams in serious competition for Browns in draft or FA for a QB.
What teams are going to be going after a QB this year.....either in FA or in the Draft:
Well.....there are the Cleveland Browns....as per usual
Then the following:
Houston Texans. They are not going to sit still with Hoyer, Weeden and TJ Yates, are they?
Philadelphia Eagles. They are not going to sit still with Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez, are they?
Los Angeles Rams. First time in over 20 years we can say that. They need to make a big splash at QB now that they are going to lala land, fair to say? They are not going to sit still with Nick Foles and Case Keenum, are they?
One team that may not be in for a QB: SF 49ers. Kaepernick has been an outstanding QB at times in the past. Lost all his confidence. Is the hiring of Chip Kelly going to bring back the Kaep? Honestly, I don't think there is anyone else out there in FA or the draft that Kelly would like to pick up more than he would want to work with Kaepernick.
Anyone else?
Cowboys looking to get Romo back....and to get their hands on and try to groom Johnny Fuckup?
Broncos satisfied to either get one more year out of Peyton, or turn it over to Osweiler (though...isn't he a FA? Won't they want to keep him?)
Jets: Going to let it ride for a while with Fitz? (also FA)....if they lose Fitz to FA, they will be in the draft market.
They have Brice Petty who's better than Manziel could ever be!
So...I see 3 teams in serious competition for Browns in draft or FA for a QB.
-
Today on ESPN they unveiled Mel Kiper's first Mock Draft. He has the Browns taking Goff at #2. Bill Polian who's on the panel was adamant that none of this year's QB's are NFL ready. That said, if the Browns can't get a McCarron, Osweiler type in a trade or free agency don't they have to draft Goff?
There are too many teams that will take Goff if we don't. Dallas, Houston, The Rams, Philly, Arizona will all be looking for QBs.
Osweiler will probably get the franchise tag so he's out. Chip Kelly might want to resurrect Kaepernick and the rest of the Quarterbacks pretty much suck! But I still like the idea of Hue going after McCarron. A.J. Showed poise and potential when Dalton went down. And because of McCarron's big ego he won't settle for being a backup much longer. His confidence was seen as arrogance and that's why he dropped to the fifth round. But I like a guy who shows confidence and thinks he can be the best. Russell Wilson was exactly the same before he was drafted.
Bottom Line: The Browns should draft Goff if they can't land a young free agent.The odds aren't very good they can. We should thank Ray Farmer for putting us so far behind the eight ball by passing on Carr. Carr is definitely going to be a franchise QB!
Goff will have to sit a year if they don't want to ruin another prospect. But Polian stressed that every QB in this year's draft will need to sit.
Today on ESPN they unveiled Mel Kiper's first Mock Draft. He has the Browns taking Goff at #2. Bill Polian who's on the panel was adamant that none of this year's QB's are NFL ready. That said, if the Browns can't get a McCarron, Osweiler type in a trade or free agency don't they have to draft Goff?
There are too many teams that will take Goff if we don't. Dallas, Houston, The Rams, Philly, Arizona will all be looking for QBs.
Osweiler will probably get the franchise tag so he's out. Chip Kelly might want to resurrect Kaepernick and the rest of the Quarterbacks pretty much suck! But I still like the idea of Hue going after McCarron. A.J. Showed poise and potential when Dalton went down. And because of McCarron's big ego he won't settle for being a backup much longer. His confidence was seen as arrogance and that's why he dropped to the fifth round. But I like a guy who shows confidence and thinks he can be the best. Russell Wilson was exactly the same before he was drafted.
Bottom Line: The Browns should draft Goff if they can't land a young free agent.The odds aren't very good they can. We should thank Ray Farmer for putting us so far behind the eight ball by passing on Carr. Carr is definitely going to be a franchise QB!
Goff will have to sit a year if they don't want to ruin another prospect. But Polian stressed that every QB in this year's draft will need to sit.
Couple things I disagree with. The Broncos won't tag Osweiler- he's not worth anything close to $18 million. I've already said it a bunch of times- the Bengals will NOT trade McCarron, especially to the Browns. Why would they? He's proven he can win games as a backup, plus he's on his (cheap) rookie contract.
There is also the potential "Chip Kelly Cog In The Wheel" again this year. After he was hired by San Francisco I read two articles on Fan Sided that predicted Chip would draft Goff. Now it's way too early to speculate but here we go with Kelly in position to trade up for another QB he desires. So just like last year everyone will be wondering what this faux master mind has up his sleeve. Could be nothing but smoke like last year. I hope he stays far away from the Browns FO. Makes me glad they hired these analytical guys! Maybe they'll break the tradition of trading down and taking crap at number 22
I posted it elsewhere. Kelly doesn't have the draft day ammunition to jump the Browns, should we really want Goff.. It will cost them 3 first round picks, and after the RG III fiasco I can't see an NFL GM who isn't crazy making an offer like that to the Titans.
-
Why is no one on the boards talking about Cardale Jones? Is there a personality issue? Is he dumb or lazy? I've watched all of these guys play and he is by far the most talented. All of these guys are raw and probably won't show much until year 2, but if Cardale is willing to put the time in in the film room, he should be our guy.
I like Goff but I'm concerned about his arm strength and that system he was in.
-
Why is no one on the boards talking about Cardale Jones? Is there a personality issue? Is he dumb or lazy? I've watched all of these guys play and he is by far the most talented. All of these guys are raw and probably won't show much until year 2, but if Cardale is willing to put the time in in the film room, he should be our guy.
I like Goff but I'm concerned about his arm strength and that system he was in.
Why is no one on the boards talking about Cardale Jones? Is there a personality issue? Is he dumb or lazy? I've watched all of these guys play and he is by far the most talented. All of these guys are raw and probably won't show much until year 2, but if Cardale is willing to put the time in in the film room, he should be our guy.
I like Goff but I'm concerned about his arm strength and that system he was in.
Cardale got benched, didn't help his fortunes. He plays in a much worse college system, strikes as lacking from a mechanical and mental standpoint.
The system Goff was in shouldn't worry you because he still changes plays at the LOS, it's heavily dependent on QB reads/decisions, and has the footwork to easily adapt to play behind center.
-
He did have that bad game and I didn't get to watch that so I definitely need to check it out, but Goff would have been benched in that 5 int game if had a player like Barrett behind him. I like Goff and I would be OK if we got him, but I don't feel like he's head and shoulders the best QB in the draft.
I don't see any glaring issues with Cardales mechanics. Quick release but it's a little low. Feet look pretty good and he steps into the pocket with pressure. Rarely throws off his back foot. He does give up on the play and take off, but he's shown the ability to keep his eyes down field.
I'm not an Ohio state fan so I was expecting there to be a lot more chatter on him in these forums.
-
I still think Foles could be a very good QB for the Rams.....or maybe for somebody...not the Rams. He played outstanding for the Eagles a year ago. A change of scene could do him well.
How can the Browns get him? He is better than anything we have....and maybe better than anyone available in this draft.
I still think Foles could be a very good QB for the Rams.....or maybe for somebody...not the Rams. He played outstanding for the Eagles a year ago. A change of scene could do him well.
Agree... it was two years ago that Foles posted a great season, but I think he is miscast in StL. Really is not a deep ball artist.
Today on ESPN they unveiled Mel Kiper's first Mock Draft. He has the Browns taking Goff at #2. Bill Polian who's on the panel was adamant that none of this year's QB's are NFL ready.
Also said that only Luck was ready to start Day One. Fortunately we have McCown and do not need a rookie QB to start Day One.
Do you guys think there's any chance Titans trade with a team that falls in love with Goff and we lose out on him?
If he's our guy, do you think we're safe to get him at 2 or will we have to move up to 1?
Always a chance... but I hate chasing. As of now I'd take offers for #2, but if I do not like them, then I take the BPA.
Now, however, is a long way from the Draft.
-
He did have that bad game and I didn't get to watch that so I definitely need to check it out, but Goff would have been benched in that 5 int game if had a player like Barrett behind him. I like Goff and I would be OK if we got him, but I don't feel like he's head and shoulders the best QB in the draft.
I don't see any glaring issues with Cardales mechanics. Quick release but it's a little low. Feet look pretty good and he steps into the pocket with pressure. Rarely throws off his back foot. He does give up on the play and take off, but he's shown the ability to keep his eyes down field.
I'm not an Ohio state fan so I was expecting there to be a lot more chatter on him in these forums.
I'm not an Ohio state fan so I was expecting there to be a lot more chatter on him in these forums.
There was... a year ago.
VesnaKociper said:
Personally, I think Lynch goes before Goff.
Perfect!
-
Why is no one on the boards talking about Cardale Jones? Is there a personality issue? Is he dumb or lazy? I've watched all of these guys play and he is by far the most talented. All of these guys are raw and probably won't show much until year 2, but if Cardale is willing to put the time in in the film room, he should be our guy.
I like Goff but I'm concerned about his arm strength and that system he was in.
Why is no one on the boards talking about Cardale Jones? Is there a personality issue? Is he dumb or lazy? I've watched all of these guys play and he is by far the most talented. All of these guys are raw and probably won't show much until year 2, but if Cardale is willing to put the time in in the film room, he should be our guy.
I like Goff but I'm concerned about his arm strength and that system he was in.
Because Cardale is now slotted to go in the third round. Yeah, he's got all the physical traits you could ask for, the question is- does he have the smarts?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
