Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. The Renevant

The Renevant

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
12 Posts 6 Posters 1.3k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 20k Posts
    • 5k Reputation
    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #1

    Went to see this one (mostly) because I happen to like Western scenery, Westerns in general, and I'm OK with Leonardo DiCaprio. Yeah- he deserves his Oscar nomination. Another reason I wanted to see it is there's (some) factual connection in the movie to a young Jim Bridger. Those that know Western history know Bridger is generally considered to be the first white man to see Yellowstone, and report about it's existence.

    The short of the plot is fur trapper Hugh Glass' (DiCaprio) company gets ambushed by Indians. Glass escapes with around a dozen other men. In trying to get back to Fort Kiowa (Glass is the only one familiar with the territory) he gets severely mauled by a bear and is left for dead by two of the party who were supposed to care for him- Fitzgerald and Bridger. Glass miraculously survives, and crawls through the wilderness seeking revenge on the guys who deserted him.

    My comments about the movie? Could have easily cut around 30 minutes out. The scenery is pretty- and OK got it, Glass is hurt pretty bad. Plenty of blood & violence. Honestly didn't do much for me.

    I sort of figured there was a whole lot of artistic license with the real history. Plenty of stuff that happened in the Wyoming - Montana territory in the 1800s was very poorly recorded, exaggerated, or counter-claimed by explorers wishing to make a name for themselves. First group to climb the Grand Teton was debated for decades.

    If you have an interest- here's one take on what really happened : http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/01/20/bastardized-history-the-true-odyssey-of-hugh-glass-vs-the-revenant/

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
      • 39k Posts
      • 9k Reputation
      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I've been putting this one off but now that the nominations are out I have 4 more I need to see. I'll read your most afterwards!

      WSS

      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
        • 39k Posts
        • 9k Reputation
        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Just saw it today. I didn't realize that it was a supposedly true story and that makes it just a little bit more, well hard to believe.

        But I disagree with you and this: I thought they could have cut at least a hundred and twenty minutes...

        WSS

        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
        hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
          • 57k Posts
          • 4k Reputation
          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
          #4

          2.5 hours of trudgery and grudgery.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • W Westside Steve

            Just saw it today. I didn't realize that it was a supposedly true story and that makes it just a little bit more, well hard to believe.

            But I disagree with you and this: I thought they could have cut at least a hundred and twenty minutes...

            WSS

            hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 20k Posts
            • 5k Reputation
            hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @westside-steve said:

            Just saw it today. I didn't realize that it was a supposedly true story and that makes it just a little bit more, well hard to believe.

            But I disagree with you and this: I thought they could have cut at least a hundred and twenty minutes...

            WSS

            Mostly true Steve. Glass didn't have an Indian son, and he didn't kill Fitzgerald either. The ending sort of leaves you hanging that Glass died- glad to know he didn't.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
              • 64k Posts
              • 8k Reputation
              C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
              #6

              I thought this would be great, love the westerns and the scenery.

              But after ten minutes, I turned it off and went did my knee exercises.

              The violence was dramatic, and was put in the script to be dramatic.

              Seemed a good bit on the horror film kind of thing. Lost interest.

              B 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • C calfoxwc

                I thought this would be great, love the westerns and the scenery.

                But after ten minutes, I turned it off and went did my knee exercises.

                The violence was dramatic, and was put in the script to be dramatic.

                Seemed a good bit on the horror film kind of thing. Lost interest.

                BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 5k Posts
                • 306 Reputation
                B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @calfoxwc said:

                I thought this would be great, love the westerns and the scenery.

                But after ten minutes, I turned it off and went did my knee exercises.

                The violence was dramatic, and was put in the script to be dramatic.

                Seemed a good bit on the horror film kind of thing. Lost interest.

                Pirating movies now, how Marxist

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 5k Posts
                  • 306 Reputation
                  B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  Thought it was good in concept but was probably 30-45 too long.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                    • 39k Posts
                    • 9k Reputation
                    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    I wish I knew how.

                    W

                    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • One Post One PostO
                      • 4k Posts
                      • 284 Reputation
                      One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I can watch tv shows about renovating. What morons! 🙂

                      https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                        • 39k Posts
                        • 9k Reputation
                        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        No doubt Tommy. Completely impossible situations, incredible boredom and a wet firecracker of a payoff at the end.

                        WSS

                        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • One Post One PostO
                          • 4k Posts
                          • 284 Reputation
                          One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Just seen it. It's a keeper and the bear attack scene was the best one since Backcounrty.

                          https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                          Register Login
                          Reply
                          • Reply as topic
                          Log in to reply
                          • Oldest to Newest
                          • Newest to Oldest
                          • Most Votes


                          Theme
                          • System
                          • Light
                          • Dark
                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                          • First post
                            Last post
                          0
                          • Forums
                          • Recent
                          • Popular
                          • Users
                          • Donate