Skip to content

The Renevant

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
12 6 1.3k
  • Went to see this one (mostly) because I happen to like Western scenery, Westerns in general, and I'm OK with Leonardo DiCaprio. Yeah- he deserves his Oscar nomination. Another reason I wanted to see it is there's (some) factual connection in the movie to a young Jim Bridger. Those that know Western history know Bridger is generally considered to be the first white man to see Yellowstone, and report about it's existence.

    The short of the plot is fur trapper Hugh Glass' (DiCaprio) company gets ambushed by Indians. Glass escapes with around a dozen other men. In trying to get back to Fort Kiowa (Glass is the only one familiar with the territory) he gets severely mauled by a bear and is left for dead by two of the party who were supposed to care for him- Fitzgerald and Bridger. Glass miraculously survives, and crawls through the wilderness seeking revenge on the guys who deserted him.

    My comments about the movie? Could have easily cut around 30 minutes out. The scenery is pretty- and OK got it, Glass is hurt pretty bad. Plenty of blood & violence. Honestly didn't do much for me.

    I sort of figured there was a whole lot of artistic license with the real history. Plenty of stuff that happened in the Wyoming - Montana territory in the 1800s was very poorly recorded, exaggerated, or counter-claimed by explorers wishing to make a name for themselves. First group to climb the Grand Teton was debated for decades.

    If you have an interest- here's one take on what really happened : http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/01/20/bastardized-history-the-true-odyssey-of-hugh-glass-vs-the-revenant/

  • I've been putting this one off but now that the nominations are out I have 4 more I need to see. I'll read your most afterwards!

    WSS

  • Just saw it today. I didn't realize that it was a supposedly true story and that makes it just a little bit more, well hard to believe.

    But I disagree with you and this: I thought they could have cut at least a hundred and twenty minutes...

    WSS

  • 2.5 hours of trudgery and grudgery.

  • Just saw it today. I didn't realize that it was a supposedly true story and that makes it just a little bit more, well hard to believe.

    But I disagree with you and this: I thought they could have cut at least a hundred and twenty minutes...

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Just saw it today. I didn't realize that it was a supposedly true story and that makes it just a little bit more, well hard to believe.

    But I disagree with you and this: I thought they could have cut at least a hundred and twenty minutes...

    WSS

    Mostly true Steve. Glass didn't have an Indian son, and he didn't kill Fitzgerald either. The ending sort of leaves you hanging that Glass died- glad to know he didn't.

  • I thought this would be great, love the westerns and the scenery.

    But after ten minutes, I turned it off and went did my knee exercises.

    The violence was dramatic, and was put in the script to be dramatic.

    Seemed a good bit on the horror film kind of thing. Lost interest.

  • I thought this would be great, love the westerns and the scenery.

    But after ten minutes, I turned it off and went did my knee exercises.

    The violence was dramatic, and was put in the script to be dramatic.

    Seemed a good bit on the horror film kind of thing. Lost interest.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I thought this would be great, love the westerns and the scenery.

    But after ten minutes, I turned it off and went did my knee exercises.

    The violence was dramatic, and was put in the script to be dramatic.

    Seemed a good bit on the horror film kind of thing. Lost interest.

    Pirating movies now, how Marxist

  • Thought it was good in concept but was probably 30-45 too long.

  • I wish I knew how.

    W

  • I can watch tv shows about renovating. What morons! 🙂

  • No doubt Tommy. Completely impossible situations, incredible boredom and a wet firecracker of a payoff at the end.

    WSS

  • Just seen it. It's a keeper and the bear attack scene was the best one since Backcounrty.