Skip to content

Retreads

The Browns Board
13 7 407
  • There's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

    I'd say Peyton and Palmer were on a much different level than RG3 and anybody else available this year that could give us have a retread success story. I mean, Peyton won a super bowl with the team that drafted him.

    Personally, as long as our talent is as bad as it is - I'd go with a young guy. If we were building up something like Denver and the Cards were, then I'd look for a Vet who could win now if that was our missing piece (we might already have one in McCown - I think if you plugged him into a team like Denver or the Cardinals they probably would have still been final 4 teams).

    @bbedward said:

    There's a lot of ways to skin a cat

    Said every serial killer, ever.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, figure this out: Of the 4 QBs that are playing in the conference games this weekend.....2 of them are "quality" retreads.....let go by other teams: Peyton, and Carson Palmer. Another is simply possibly the best to have ever played....

    "If you say so, Pal."

    Graham-Cleveland.jpg

    Zombo said:

    "If you say so, Pal."

    Graham-Cleveland.jpg

    I didn't go back before the days of the Super Bowl....but you are right: OG was actually a draft pick of the Lions. But he went into the Navy after Northwestern (WWII), played for Paul Brown at the Great Lakes Naval Academy in Chicago, then signed to play with the Browns when they formed under PB.

    So, he did not actually play for the Lions, but he was drafted by them.

    Steve Young, I believe, had a similar story: drafted by the Bucs, but never played for them, opting for USFL's LA team (Express?).

    Then refusing to go to TB, forcing a trade to SF.

  • There's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

    I'd say Peyton and Palmer were on a much different level than RG3 and anybody else available this year that could give us have a retread success story. I mean, Peyton won a super bowl with the team that drafted him.

    Personally, as long as our talent is as bad as it is - I'd go with a young guy. If we were building up something like Denver and the Cards were, then I'd look for a Vet who could win now if that was our missing piece (we might already have one in McCown - I think if you plugged him into a team like Denver or the Cardinals they probably would have still been final 4 teams).

    @bbedward said:

    There's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

    I'd say Peyton and Palmer were on a much different level than RG3 and anybody else available this year that could give us have a retread success story. I mean, Peyton won a super bowl with the team that drafted him.

    Personally, as long as our talent is as bad as it is - I'd go with a young guy. If we were building up something like Denver and the Cards were, then I'd look for a Vet who could win now if that was our missing piece (we might already have one in McCown - I think if you plugged him into a team like Denver or the Cardinals they probably would have still been final 4 teams).

    I deny that the talent on this team is as bad as you think it is.....with a few exceptions. What this team needed/needs is two basic things: Better quality coaching and organization......and a better QB.

    We hope we now have the first.....and hopefully we can get the latter.

    (can it use a few upgrades at other spots? Sure..always..but I do not think any other position is devoid of talent)

  • Zombo said:

    "If you say so, Pal."

    Graham-Cleveland.jpg

    I didn't go back before the days of the Super Bowl....but you are right: OG was actually a draft pick of the Lions. But he went into the Navy after Northwestern (WWII), played for Paul Brown at the Great Lakes Naval Academy in Chicago, then signed to play with the Browns when they formed under PB.

    So, he did not actually play for the Lions, but he was drafted by them.

    Steve Young, I believe, had a similar story: drafted by the Bucs, but never played for them, opting for USFL's LA team (Express?).

    Then refusing to go to TB, forcing a trade to SF.

    @the-gipper said:

    Steve Young, I believe, had a similar story: drafted by the Bucs, but never played for them, opting for USFL's LA team (Express?).

    Then refusing to go to TB, forcing a trade to SF.

    Young played two years for TB... in his 2nd he was the full-time starter. Then he was traded to SF where he sat for the better part of five years behind Montana.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Steve Young, I believe, had a similar story: drafted by the Bucs, but never played for them, opting for USFL's LA team (Express?).

    Then refusing to go to TB, forcing a trade to SF.

    Young played two years for TB... in his 2nd he was the full-time starter. Then he was traded to SF where he sat for the better part of five years behind Montana.

    @tour2ma said:

    Young played two years for TB... in his 2nd he was the full-time starter. Then he was traded to SF where he sat for the better part of five years behind Montana.

    OK, thanks for refreshing the memory.

  • What are you talking about?

    RG3 sucks, and this isn't remotely debateable. Precisely who is "his ilk" ?

    One free agent QB who's performing quite well is named McCown, and he's already on our roster.

    It doesn't matter that you like the CONCEPT of a free agent qb.. it's the specific player that matters.

    Who are you proposing we sign?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Young played two years for TB... in his 2nd he was the full-time starter. Then he was traded to SF where he sat for the better part of five years behind Montana.

    OK, thanks for refreshing the memory.

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, thanks for refreshing the memory.

    Don't mention it... we old farts have to pool our brains to stay ahead of the kids.

    Besides your trivia threads have revived more brain cells that I can count at this point...

  • If only RG3 could be revitalized! Shouldn't the Browns at least take a look? Stranger things have happened. My guess is they dump Manziel without the "handful of beans" and workout a few free agents while drafting a Quarterback in the first round anyway.

  • What are you talking about?

    RG3 sucks, and this isn't remotely debateable. Precisely who is "his ilk" ?

    One free agent QB who's performing quite well is named McCown, and he's already on our roster.

    It doesn't matter that you like the CONCEPT of a free agent qb.. it's the specific player that matters.

    Who are you proposing we sign?

    @unsympathetic said:

    What are you talking about?

    RG3 sucks, and this isn't remotely debateable. Precisely who is "his ilk" ?

    One free agent QB who's performing quite well is named McCown, and he's already on our roster.

    It doesn't matter that you like the CONCEPT of a free agent qb.. it's the specific player that matters.

    Who are you proposing we sign?

    A younger viable free agent that could lead this team for say the next 5 years. McCown at 37 isn't that guy (and he has never been a winner, sorry).

    And yes....it does matter that I like a particular concept. Without a concept you have no plan of action.

    I don't have specific names.....but as I note.... a lot of people probably passed on the guys that are on the list above.

  • If only RG3 could be revitalized! Shouldn't the Browns at least take a look? Stranger things have happened. My guess is they dump Manziel without the "handful of beans" and workout a few free agents while drafting a Quarterback in the first round anyway.

    @opal312 said:

    If only RG3 could be revitalized! Shouldn't the Browns at least take a look? Stranger things have happened. My guess is they dump Manziel without the "handful of beans" and workout a few free agents while drafting a Quarterback in the first round anyway.

    Yes, stranger things have happened. Like I said, look at the list. Some of those retreads were picked off the scrap heap. A few, like Favre and Young may have been traded for......but the fact that their initial team elected to trade them tells something about how they were initially viewed.

    Like I said too: Chandler got to the Super Bowl playing for his 6th team.