Skip to content

49Ers Hire Former Browns Dc Jim O'neill For Same Position

The Browns Board
55 24 2.4k
  • I actually pity the 49ers. Chip Kelly and his high powered offense and Jim O'Neil with his cover zero defense. I will wager the Browns win more games than San Francisco next season.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Well it won't be boring watching their games, for sure.

    @opal312 said:

    I actually pity the 49ers. Chip Kelly and his high powered offense and Jim O'Neil with his cover zero defense. I will wager the Browns win more games than San Francisco next season.

  • I'd have to believe Chip talked to Pet, probably offered him the job, and Pet declined suggesting Jim...

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #16

    @tour2ma said:

    I'd have to believe Chip talked to Pet, probably offered him the job, and Pet declined suggesting Jim...

    I doubt they talked much. Pet hasn't stopped laughing all the way to the bank. Soft green landing. 😁

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #17

    They already hired our former secondary coach Jeff Hafley for the same position. Seems like O'Neil is a "favorite"

  • They already hired our former secondary coach Jeff Hafley for the same position. Seems like O'Neil is a "favorite"

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Considering the

    @bbedward said:

    They already hired our former secondary coach Jeff Hafley for the same position. Seems like O'Neil is a "favorite"

    Considering the Gilbert fiasco and the number of injuries he had to get around (not to mention Farmer allowing Ward to get away to Denver), Hafley did ok with the hand he was dealt.

  • Considering the

    @bbedward said:

    They already hired our former secondary coach Jeff Hafley for the same position. Seems like O'Neil is a "favorite"

    Considering the Gilbert fiasco and the number of injuries he had to get around (not to mention Farmer allowing Ward to get away to Denver), Hafley did ok with the hand he was dealt.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @texasag1969 said:

    Considering the

    Considering the Gilbert fiasco and the number of injuries he had to get around (not to mention Farmer allowing Ward to get away to Denver), Hafley did ok with the hand he was dealt.

    He was the DB coach for a couple of years and Justin Gilbert progressed zero. While K'Waun Williams has been good, I'm not sure how much that's coaching and how much is just being in the right place and scheme. Haden has maintained, while Desir looks a long way from what we hoped he'd be. I'm not shedding a tear that Hafley's gone.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Pettine is going to take Jimmy's 3.5 Million this year, probably buy a houseboat, stock it with the finest cigars and whiskeys .. and not have to answer a single fucking question about Johnny Manziel.

    Zombo

  • HaHa...Kelly never DID believe in defense!

    Mike

    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @canton-mike said:

    HaHa...Kelly never DID believe in defense!

    Mike

    Yup, Kelly's strategy behind his interest must be to let the opposing team score as quickly as possible so he can get the ball back.

    Seriously, though, I haven't heard Pettine's name in any defensive coordinator talk. I'd hire him 100 times as my DC before O'Neil.

  • @wargograw said:

    Why isn't Pett getting any actual looks? Taking a year off?

    Most head coaches after getting canned will take a year off before jumping back into the pool of coordinator candidates.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Most head coaches after getting canned will take a year off before jumping back into the pool of coordinator candidates.

    Expecially when they are being paid full salary to do so.

  • Pettine is going to take Jimmy's 3.5 Million this year, probably buy a houseboat, stock it with the finest cigars and whiskeys .. and not have to answer a single fucking question about Johnny Manziel.

    Zombo

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Zombo said:

    Pettine is going to take Jimmy's 3.5 Million this year, probably buy a houseboat, stock it with the finest cigars and whiskeys .. and not have to answer a single fucking question about Johnny Manziel.

    Zombo

    Wouldn't you?

  • Zombo said:

    Pettine is going to take Jimmy's 3.5 Million this year, probably buy a houseboat, stock it with the finest cigars and whiskeys .. and not have to answer a single fucking question about Johnny Manziel.

    Zombo

    Wouldn't you?

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @the-gipper said:

    Wouldn't you?

    Yes I would.

    Zombo

  • Zombo said:

    Pettine is going to take Jimmy's 3.5 Million this year, probably buy a houseboat, stock it with the finest cigars and whiskeys .. and not have to answer a single fucking question about Johnny Manziel.

    Zombo

    Wouldn't you?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @the-gipper said:

    Wouldn't you?

    I'd buy a sailing trimaran in the Virgin Islands as far from Cleveland weather as possible and smile as I answered any question about JM. Maybe even invite him on board for a beer or two in my retirement. 😁

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #26

    It's possible Mike is sitting in a basement somewhere, rocking gently and repeating "...play like a brown...we're not going to micro-manage him...it's not just the quarterback..."

  • Pet said he's taking a year off to relax....

    According to Mary Kay Cabot, E! network has also contacted Pettine about starring in the new reality TV show ("Manziel and I") starring Johnny Manziel, during the offseason.

    Pettine declined to comment.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #27

    I do wonder if "Play Like a Brown" survives...

    @stillmotion said:

    According to Mary Kay Cabot, E! network has also contacted Pettine about starring in the new reality TV show ("Manziel and I") starring Johnny Manziel, during the offseason.

    lol...

    Also could be a game show with an ex-coach living in with JFF. Escalating rewards ala "Who wants to be a Millionarire" for each successive week the coach keeps Johnny clean and sober.

    His HS guy was the "Pilot". Next Pet... then Sumlin... when we run out of HCs can turn to OCs... and your working title still works.

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Or Johnny can host a drinking game, pitting college fraternities against each other.

    They could call it, "Drink like a Brown".

  • @the-gipper said:

    Wouldn't you?

    I'd buy a sailing trimaran in the Virgin Islands as far from Cleveland weather as possible and smile as I answered any question about JM. Maybe even invite him on board for a beer or two in my retirement. 😁

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'd buy a sailing trimaran in the Virgin Islands as far from Cleveland weather as possible and smile as I answered any question about JM. Maybe even invite him on board for a beer or two in my retirement. 😁

    Sounds good right about now.

  • I do wonder if "Play Like a Brown" survives...

    @stillmotion said:

    According to Mary Kay Cabot, E! network has also contacted Pettine about starring in the new reality TV show ("Manziel and I") starring Johnny Manziel, during the offseason.

    lol...

    Also could be a game show with an ex-coach living in with JFF. Escalating rewards ala "Who wants to be a Millionarire" for each successive week the coach keeps Johnny clean and sober.

    His HS guy was the "Pilot". Next Pet... then Sumlin... when we run out of HCs can turn to OCs... and your working title still works.

    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @tour2ma said:

    I do wonder if "Play Like a Brown" survives...

    I hope to hell not because right now that means play like a 3-13 team.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #31

    If the Niners hire O'Neil as their dc, I hope I don't find out about it,

    because I'll laugh like hell, and my knee is sore from exercises, and I'm out of pain meds.

    So, nobody let me know til later.

  • If the Niners hire O'Neil as their dc, I hope I don't find out about it,

    because I'll laugh like hell, and my knee is sore from exercises, and I'm out of pain meds.

    So, nobody let me know til later.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @calfoxwc said:

    If the Niners hire O'Neil as their dc, I hope I don't find out about it,

    because I'll laugh like hell, and my knee is sore from exercises, and I'm out of pain meds.

    So, nobody let me know til later.

    http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/source-49ers-hire-oneil-defensive-coordinator/

    It's official, hope your knee holds up

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by Flyin J
    #33

    I bet the 49er fans love Chip already haha

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Lol